Harmony Tips - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 196 Old 12-20-2010, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pretty new to universal remotes. I've owned a few (gifts) but never used them. Decided to try the 650 when it was on sale. So far not too impressed--I'm still using all the old remotes AND the 650. Yeah, yeah, I must be doing it wrong.

First question: Has anyone figured out how to make the backlight brighter? The reviews may say it's bright enough, but as we age we lose the rods of the retina, so things don't look as bright. That's why geezers don't like to drive at night. The night vision ain't what it used to be. So what's fine for a 30 year old reviewer is not fine for a 60+ consumer.

So have any of you hackers figured out how to make the backlight brighter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 196 Old 12-20-2010, 10:31 PM

Liked: 16
Hi JKent--

Being 50+, I sympathize with the night vision problem. I have a 550, which, unlike yours, has a monochrome screen, even more difficult to see. The good news is, once you're used to the remote, you really won't need the backlight. And yes, if you're still needing your original remotes, you're doing it wrong. All it takes is a little time customizing your remote with the Harmony software. Once you do that, you'll never need your original remotes again.
post #33 of 196 Old 12-29-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Some harmony's have no option to re-order activities (like the 700). However it is possible to re-order activities on members.harmonyremote.com or THIS link.

I can't make this work... No matter what order I put them in I can't get both Listen to Music and Watch TV on Page 1 of my 650. Any ideas? Just spent over an hour making the order different on the website and syncing... sometimes things changed but never got both on page one.
Thanks,
RA
post #34 of 196 Old 12-29-2010, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 314
The hard button activities can't be moved. Maybe THIS will be illuminating, especially the comments.
post #35 of 196 Old 12-30-2010, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

The hard button activities can't be moved. Maybe THIS will be illuminating, especially the comments.

Thanks for that... I had found that page this morning and although helpful, still not quite what I saw on mine. I wound up adding more activities with new names and kept mixing and matching. Finally got the remote to have the two choices I wanted on the front page. Only took about 3 - 4 hours of fiddling. YIKES!!! Is the Harmony 700 or the ONE easier to tweak?
RA
post #36 of 196 Old 12-30-2010, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by radamo View Post

Is the Harmony 700 or the ONE easier to tweak?
RA

It is easy to change the sequence of activities with the ONE.
post #37 of 196 Old 12-30-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post

It is easy to change the sequence of activities with the ONE.

Does the ONE take standard AA Rechargeables or some proprietary battery? I was hesitant to get the ONE because I didn't want to keep my remote in a charging cradle all the time.
RA
post #38 of 196 Old 12-30-2010, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Google is you best friend for finding answers. The ONE uses a lithium-ion battery, and it is not proprietary. Yes the charging station is one more power draw device, but it uses very little current and is cool to the touch at all times.
post #39 of 196 Old 12-30-2010, 08:09 AM

I have the Harmony 700, and have an activety set up to "play Xbox 360". When I hit the Play Xbox 360 activety, everything turns on, but the Xbox is up and running before the receiver is completely up and running. So, my little red Dolby digital light on the receiver isn't lit, and I don't have surround sound. A hand shake problem I think. And I am using games that have dolby surround.

If I manually turn on the receiver and Tv, then walk over and get the Xbox remote, by the time I turn the Xbox on, I get the little red Dolby digital light on the receiver with surround sound.

Is there a way to delay the Xbox from turning on until the receiver is fully powered up?? I have tried the power on delay, but it does nothing. From what I read, the power on delay does something entirely different. I want to delay the power on command for the Xbox console so it doesn't turn on for at least three seconds after the receiver is sent a power on command.
post #40 of 196 Old 12-30-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Google is you best friend for finding answers. The ONE uses a lithium-ion battery, and it is not proprietary. Yes the charging station is one more power draw device, but it uses very little current and is cool to the touch at all times.
I actually selected the 650 so that I could avoid having another charging station in my den. Table space is precious. I also wanted a unit that would last a few weeks / months on a charge. So I will (for now at least) give the 650 a healthy try. The ONE seemed like a better unit overall but some of it's "Features" were downers for me... namely the charger and the glossy finish.
Thanks for your replies.
RA
post #41 of 196 Old 12-30-2010, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keizer View Post

Is there a way to delay the Xbox from turning on until the receiver is fully powered up?? I have tried the power on delay, but it does nothing. From what I read, the power on delay does something entirely different. I want to delay the power on command for the Xbox console so it doesn't turn on for at least three seconds after the receiver is sent a power on command.

The setting to be used is the Inter-Device Delay, not Power-on Delay.

The Inter-Device delay specifies the amount of time to wait between sending commands between devices, while the Power-on delay specifies the amount of time to wait before sending another command to a specific device after it has been turned on.
post #42 of 196 Old 12-30-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:

The setting to be used is the Inter-Device Delay, not Power-on Delay.

The Inter-Device delay specifies the amount of time to wait between sending commands between devices, while the Power-on delay specifies the amount of time to wait before sending another command to a specific device after it has been turned on.

Thanks, I went ahead and tried it out. With the 700, you adjust this within the remote, and not the software. It only allows you to go up to 2 seconds and that's it. It still doesn't allow enough time for the receiver to allow the proper hand shake. And, that's with the receiver first in line to be powered on. I have no idea why they put a cap on this time limit.
post #43 of 196 Old 12-30-2010, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keizer View Post

Thanks, I went ahead and tried it out. With the 700, you adjust this within the remote, and not the software. It only allows you to go up to 2 seconds and that's it. It still doesn't allow enough time for the receiver to allow the proper hand shake. And, that's with the receiver first in line to be powered on. I have no idea why they put a cap on this time limit.

Your next step is to add one or two dummy devices with a fake power-on code and specify a 2 second delay. These devices should be put in sequence of devices in the activity where you need the delay.
post #44 of 196 Old 12-30-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:

Your next step is to add one or two dummy devices with a fake power-on code and specify a 2 second delay. These devices should be put in sequence of devices in the activity where you need the delay.

Great idea!! Thanks! I can just keep adding dummies until I get enough of a delay.
post #45 of 196 Old 04-25-2011, 12:10 AM

I am going to buy a Home Theater PC. I have a Harmony One, and I would like to connect it to my PC.

But I don't know how.

I presume I need to buy a dongle or USB connector, but I don't really know.

Advice, as well as links to what I need, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
post #46 of 196 Old 04-25-2011, 02:18 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrynichus View Post

I am going to buy a Home Theater PC. I have a Harmony One, and I would like to connect it to my PC.

But I don't know how.

I presume I need to buy a dongle or USB connector, but I don't really know.

Advice, as well as links to what I need, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

If you run Windows PC, then you need a RC6 Receiver. So you can buy a remote+receiver combo, or just buy a RC6 receiver. This is a thread on XBMC forum that should help. Even though it's mainly for Windows 7, XBMC, and Harmony Remote, but it's really applicable to using any Harmony remote for most media players on Windows.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=77519
post #47 of 196 Old 06-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Can I have the harmony one power off my AVR after it changes the input for my tv?

My AVR strips the audio from the HDMI connection and at times we only want the tv speakers and not surround sound through the AVR. I have created separate activity buttons for "DTV without surround" "DTV with surround"

Right now for "without surround" I just created a soft button to manually turn off the AVR after everything cycles on.

I want everything to turn on and go through the proper cycles--- then the AVR to turn off all automatically when I press the activity button.

How do I do this?

post #48 of 196 Old 06-27-2011, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittletank View Post

Can I have the harmony one power off my AVR after it changes the input for my tv?

My AVR strips the audio from the HDMI connection and at times we only want the tv speakers and not surround sound through the AVR. I have created separate activity buttons for "DTV without surround" "DTV with surround"

Right now for "without surround" I just created a soft button to manually turn off the AVR after everything cycles on.

I want everything to turn on and go through the proper cycles--- then the AVR to turn off all automatically when I press the activity button.

How do I do this?

You can add the AVR power off command to the end of your activity.

Activities -> Settings -> Review the settings for this Activity -> Yes, but I want to add more control of options and devices for this Activity

Just place your AVR's Off command at the end.

However, doing this will cause the Harmony to lose state tracking for the AVR. The Harmony will think the AVR is still powered on since the additional off command is outside of the tracked portion of the activity.

How is your AVR able to pass-thru HDMI when it is powered off? If my AVR is off then no signal is being sent through to the TV. I would have to hook up additional outputs from my device directly to my TV to do what you are trying to accomplish.

In my case the AVR is always on and my TV speakers are locked off.

post #49 of 196 Old 06-27-2011, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Brian, thanks I will try that. As for the AVR , I have a Denon 1910 and one of its features is HDMI standby pass through. Some new AVRs now pass the complete signal with audio or in standby mode will switch inputs via remote control.

Thanks again

post #50 of 196 Old 07-03-2011, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi everyone. Hope I am on the right forum. I am a long time AVS member but new to the Logitec forum.

I have owned my 890Pro for 2 years now, it has worked absolutely perfectly to control my equipment up until yesterday.

Problem is this. Not one single button will work with just one touch as usual. I may have to hit the button 15 or 20 times and it will finally work most of the time, but sometimes it will not work at all. Never, repeat, Never had this to happen. So far to try and fix the problem I have changed batteries, 3 different ones, and have reprogrammed the remote. Neither worked.

Any ideas on what could have gone wrong? Do I need to buy a new remote? If so could you give me model names, numbers, and brand names for those under $200? Here is a list of my equipment:

Mitsubishi HD 1000U 720P Projector
Onkyo TX-SR 805 AVR
Pioneer Elite BDP-05 Bluray Player
Pioneer BDP-51 Bluray Player
Sony S570 Bluray Player
Directv HD Receiver (the best one they have, don't know model number)

Thanks guys for any help, advice, or suggestions.

Thank you.

Golffnutt

"GO DAWGS" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #51 of 196 Old 07-17-2011, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golffnutt View Post

Hi everyone. Hope I am on the right forum. I am a long time AVS member but new to the Logitec forum.

I have owned my 890Pro for 2 years now, it has worked absolutely perfectly to control my equipment up until yesterday.

Problem is this. Not one single button will work with just one touch as usual. I may have to hit the button 15 or 20 time and it will finally work most of the time, but sometimes it will not work at all. Never, repeat, Never had this button. So far to try and fix the problem I have changed batteries, 3 different ones, and have reprogrammed the remote. Neither worked.

Any ideas on what could have gone wrong? Do I need to buy a new remote? If so could you give me model names, numbers, and brand names for those under $200? Here is a list of my equipment:

Mitsubishi HD 1000U 720P Projector
Onkyo TX-SR 805 AVR
Pioneer Elite BDP-05 Bluray Player
Pioneer BDP-51 Bluray Player
Sony S570 Bluray Player
Directv HD Receiver (the best one they have, don't know model number)

Thanks guys for any help, advice, or suggestions.

My 880 did the same thing after dropping on the floor. I opened it up and reset the control board and it has worked fine ever since.
post #52 of 196 Old 07-17-2011, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by generallee View Post

My 880 did the same thing after dropping on the floor. I opened it up and reset the control board and it has worked fine ever since.

Thanks generallee. I didn't even know it had a reset. Is it just a button inside the unit? What does it look like? Thank you again and have a great day.

Thank you.

Golffnutt

"GO DAWGS" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #53 of 196 Old 07-23-2011, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

I have a 720 that is exhibiting the same problem. Anyone know know how to "reset the control board" on this model?
post #54 of 196 Old 07-23-2011, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

He didn't mean reset as a software thing. He meant it as re-seat. Take it apart and realign everything so the buttons line up.

post #55 of 196 Old 08-09-2011, 01:25 PM

Hi All,

i have a logitech 650, i had it programmed for activity to watch TV, but recently i dont know what happened it turns everything off and then turns cable box back on.
there are only 3 things on this activity. TV, Cable box, and AVR. Any thoughts??
post #56 of 196 Old 08-09-2011, 03:34 PM

You remote is out if sync, i.e. The Harmony "thinks" that all your devices are off, but actually some of them are on.

You can either use the "Help" button OR do the following to bring it back in sync:
* Turn all your devices off manually or using their original remotes
* Go in another room/put your hand on the front of the Harmony in a way that it will completely cover the IR emitters and then press the "Turn off" button on the Harmony.

That's it. Hope this helps.
post #57 of 196 Old 08-09-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbi View Post

You remote is out if sync, i.e. The Harmony "thinks" that all your devices are off, but actually some of them are on.

You can either use the "Help" button OR do the following to bring it back in sync:
* Turn all your devices off manually or using their original remotes
* Go in another room/put your hand on the front of the Harmony in a way that it will completely cover the IR emitters and then press the "Turn off" button on the Harmony.

That's it. Hope this helps.

i am still having this problem, i tried the help button which guided me to turning it off, but who wants to keep doing that every time i hit all off....the second option did not work for me....uggh!!
post #58 of 196 Old 08-09-2011, 07:44 PM

There is some reason why the remote gets out of sync: either you/your wife/kids turn one or more drives on or off manually or with their remotes OR or you have HDMI-CEC turned on on more than one device OR your activity isn't properly setup (i.e. you have power on/off commands other than the ones which the software automatically set up OR you've added additional power on/off/toggle command as part of the activity).

What exactly happens when you turn all devices off with their remotes and then
turn them on with their remotes one by one with 30 sec. intervals in between? Make sure that you turn them on in the exact same sequence that is in the Harmony setup!
post #59 of 196 Old 08-10-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbi View Post

There is some reason why the remote gets out of sync: either you/your wife/kids turn one or more drives on or off manually or with their remotes OR or you have HDMI-CEC turned on on more than one device OR your activity isn't properly setup (i.e. you have power on/off commands other than the ones which the software automatically set up OR you've added additional power on/off/toggle command as part of the activity).

What exactly happens when you turn all devices off with their remotes and then
turn them on with their remotes one by one with 30 sec. intervals in between? Make sure that you turn them on in the exact same sequence that is in the Harmony setup!

what normally happened prior to having the 650 was that i used cable remote, which turned on cable box, tv and then avr would switch on hdmi-cec.
activity turns on i believe( it happens so fast) box, tv, avr....but avr comes on right behind tv...faster than before.....when i hit all off.....cable box goes first, tv, avr....then cable box back on...... i'm going to delete my activity and redo it...see if that works

thanks for the suggestions.......also what is the difference in buttons(power on, power off, toggle power) dont they all do the same thing?
post #60 of 196 Old 08-10-2011, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

You want to use the discrete Power buttons when possible. If you use Power Toggle it will alternate between On and Off with each click. Using Power On to power on the device will only turn it on. If the device is already on and you press Power On again then it will do nothing, same for Power Off. If you power on your device with Power Toggle then hit Power Toggle again then it will turn it off.

Make sure you use discrete commands where possible and turn off HDMI CEC.

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech Harmony 700 Rechargeable Remote With Color Screen

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page