Any interest in an Android app for remote control? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 07-06-2010, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ordered a widget to do a proof of concept on control of IR devices from my Android phone. I'm eventually planning on getting a small Android tablet to keep in my living room to do simple web surfing, show pictures, and control my home theater so at least I have an interest in this.

The solution would be similar to the RedEye for the iPhone, just probably a lot less polished right out of the gate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 07-07-2010, 08:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
quadmaster: We've found with the iPod control options that the success really comes down to the App. May I suggest first designing an Android App that works with a WiFi solution like the Global Cache before getting too involved in the hardware?

I think the real power of an Android App as opposed to the iPod solutions out now would be to design something to work with common controls off of a Home Page Widget that can also launch an app for more control options. That would be killer!

Please feel free to Email me or PM me if you have any questions on the iProducts available now. I've tried most of them
post #3 of 26 Old 07-07-2010, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

First POC running on the Android SDK Emulator. I'm using the Global Cache iTach wired through ethernet with a Linksys WAP on my network.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOyIwU-7ZdY

cubesys mentioned some collaboration so who knows where this is headed
post #4 of 26 Old 07-29-2010, 08:30 PM

Very interested.

It looks like a great start.
post #5 of 26 Old 08-02-2010, 07:45 AM

We are almost done porting our iViewer app over to Android. Tested on a few devices and it runs very nicely. If anyone wants to beta test, see our post on the Google Group here:
http://groups.google.com/group/comma...s-wanted?hl=en

Jarrod Bell
CommandFusion - iPad/iPhone/iPod touch Automation Control
www.commandfusion.com
post #6 of 26 Old 08-05-2010, 06:36 AM

I am very interested in this especially since there may be low cost (cheaper than an Ipad) Android Tablets coming to market very soon.
post #7 of 26 Old 08-12-2010, 08:41 AM

looks intresting, I have a android phone and some testing time.

Is it compatible with the low resolution of the sony ericcson X10 pro mini ?
post #8 of 26 Old 02-09-2011, 11:37 AM

I just started a project of my own that may prove interesting to some.....

Check it out....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post19978264
post #9 of 26 Old 03-06-2011, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

So I was in talks with the iRuleAtHome guys to port iRule to Android but that ended up going nowhere.

I'm willing to team up with a few people to help get this project moving forward. Since my first post, I've got a lot of new features such as device location, configuration and loading a command set from a "config file". I think I'd need a UI person for beautification of the application and a few other code monkeys like myself for addition of features.

Can anybody tell me how to turn on topic reply email notification and PM email notification?
post #10 of 26 Old 07-01-2011, 11:41 AM

Liked: 11
Welp this bundle is 399.99 but at least they got it up on the web site

http://www.vizio.com/accessories/vtab1008bundle.html

So this at least gets a platform out there to start messing with with built in IR Blaster.

Touchsquid is getting close to releasing their tablet as well.

-Robert

-R
post #11 of 26 Old 08-06-2011, 02:21 PM

How is it going with your program quadmasta? I'm interested in it if you got something completed or else I'm willing to help you develop it.
post #12 of 26 Old 10-03-2011, 08:52 AM

Hi guys, you might want to give "yMote lite" a try. No I am not a spammer but the spambot prevention won't let me post links/urls yet.

The lite version is very restrictive at the moment (only 5 commands, may change in the future) and there is no pro version at the moment. Sorry.

I have written it in the past few months and released it yesterday. So bugs may and will occur... But I will try to extend and maintain the project as my schedule allows it.

I really appreciate feedback, feature requests, bug reports and non destructive ratings and comments.
post #13 of 26 Old 10-04-2011, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekazoid View Post

Hi guys, you might want to give "yMote lite" a try. No I am not a spammer but the spambot prevention won't let me post links/urls yet.

I really appreciate feedback, feature requests, bug reports and non destructive ratings and comments.

geekazoid,
I downloaded your app and think it is really impressive from a proof of concept standpoint. The simplicity of the user interface is really great. I really like the ability to easily generate - directly on the device - different remotes/layouts.

I do not have an itach, but successfully configured a wake on lan command for my htpc. Your online manual is easy to follow.

regarding Wifi Multicast reception: the note in the market states this is used to receive packets not directly addressed to your device and that this uses more power than non-multicast mode. This generally sounds a little scary - why would I need to receive packets not addressed to me?

a few items that would be great to add:
off-line editing capability (perhaps via the android emulator in the short term?)
ability to copy/paste in IR commands
ability to share a configuration across more than one device
gestures
more than 5 commands

I've been looking at OpenRemote and this seems way easier and no server required. I'm likely going to order an iTach this week.let me know if you need any beta testers

https://market.android.com/details?i...ile.ymote.lite

Jeff
post #14 of 26 Old 10-04-2011, 10:35 AM

Hi Jeff,
thanks for the constructive feedback and the rating in the market.

The iTach announces it's presence via multicast in an irregular interval up to 60 seconds (according to their spec). Multicast is only used when detecting an iTach by pressing the "Auto-Detect" Button on the creation screen.

But you're right, the warning sounds a little scary.
The rest of the iTach handling code should be pretty energy saving.

Yes, I guess it could be helpful having another person testing the iTach functionality. I'll PN you regarding this.
post #15 of 26 Old 10-04-2011, 04:14 PM

Liked: 12
I hope this goes somewhere. It seams there are a few apps for android but they feel incomplete and loose steam.

I wondering where command fusion has gone with there Android Port. It seems everyone is doing work for IOS devices instead.
post #16 of 26 Old 10-05-2011, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeguy57 View Post

I hope this goes somewhere. It seams there are a few apps for android but they feel incomplete and loose steam.

I wondering where command fusion has gone with there Android Port. It seems everyone is doing work for IOS devices instead.

A good place to stay informed about changes and progress is my twitter account (in my signature).

News will be available there first.
As far as I can say, yMote will go somewhere, at least there is no complete stop in sight.
post #17 of 26 Old 10-05-2011, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Geekazoid,
I did a little checking and the Wifi Multicast reception permission looks to be fairly common. The app to control my Panasonic TV also has this permissionjust don't think I've noticed it before.

Glad to see progress on the Android remote frontthink this app will be a great addition to a Fire, Nook2 or maybe a Lenovo A1.

Will report back when I receive the iTACH on Friday
post #18 of 26 Old 10-06-2011, 05:46 PM

I am interested in an Android App for the Itach, or any Network to IR device.
post #19 of 26 Old 10-30-2012, 08:26 AM

I know this is a late post on this forum,

I need to develop an android app for final year project at university. It involves using itach to bridge IP to IR for AV control from the app.

I know roughly what I want to achieve but have no idea of where to begin. (Noob @ android etc..) I have however used demopad to design a control interface for Iphone to send IR for itach, but it involved no scripts or hard coding. Just assigning IR codes to buttons and the designing of the interface it self.

Can anyone help? Please.confused.gif
post #20 of 26 Old 10-30-2012, 08:42 AM
DGF

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkstringer View Post

I know this is a late post on this forum,
I need to develop an android app for final year project at university. It involves using itach to bridge IP to IR for AV control from the app.
I know roughly what I want to achieve but have no idea of where to begin. (Noob @ android etc..) I have however used demopad to design a control interface for Iphone to send IR for itach, but it involved no scripts or hard coding. Just assigning IR codes to buttons and the designing of the interface it self.
Can anyone help? Please.confused.gif

Where do you need help? - At a coding level, or from a functionality perspective?
post #21 of 26 Old 10-30-2012, 09:02 AM

To be honest, I am happy with what functionality I require, for example, maybe 4-5 separate screens which have different attributes for differant appliences. one screen for TV one screen for SKY hd etc...

I can map out the desing spec, but I dont know if what I am trying to achieve is possible. and yes some coding help would be great. I am currenly learing Android development and Java, but only been at it for a couple of weeks.

I would not have the first clue of how to write the script that sends the IR code to itach?? Or if there are any built in functions available.
I assume I will be using Eclipse and I do have support for android development (a dummies book) but hands up, I just dont know where to start.

Is there a guide or any material that can start me off?

Thanks for respose. Appreciate it.
post #22 of 26 Old 10-30-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 324
post #23 of 26 Old 10-30-2012, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the links, I already checked some of these out. I dont understand the JP1 info??? I can get the IR codes using i-tach no problem. What I could do with is some instruction on how to create a single page app with a single button that works sending a single IR code. and from there I can add to it new pages and buttons using the 'get me started' info I need. I have also found some java code which may help. but the code means nothing to me without any additional information.

So if anyone has the heart to help out a willing trainee, the above in blue is what i would really like.

thanks again for the links and thanks to all that may be able to help this damsel in distress:(
post #24 of 26 Old 10-30-2012, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Ignore the JP1 stuff. That's my signature which shows on every post. I didn't intend for you to follow those links. I intended for you to click the word "HERE". But now that you mention it, you'll eventually need to understand IR protocols in great detail to finish your app. So do follow the wiki link and learn about the protocols.

I think the API document on the page I linked is pretty thorough and has everything you need for the iTach side. I think what you're looking for is how to implement it on the Android side. That's a topic for Andriod developers.
post #25 of 26 Old 10-31-2012, 02:55 AM

Thanks again,

I just thought that this thread was about android apps.
post #26 of 26 Old 10-31-2012, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, you're right of course.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page