What kind of product should I look at? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-11-2010, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As the resident A/V guru, I've been charged with finding a solution for my company's conference room.

We have two identical large flat-screen TVs with multiple sources. My plan is to have the following sources available on each: Cable TV, local PC, Video Conference, HDMI auxiliary in.

I need an easy way to control power and input source for these two displays. Ideally, I would have one set of buttons for each TV, namely Power On/Off, and Input 1, 2, 3, 4. I don't need volume control, as all audio is sent to a mixer, amp, and ceiling-mounted speakers. I also don't need channel buttons because the cable box is separate and has its own remote. (Although, I wouldn't turn down the opportunity to control that as well.)

The biggest problem is, since the two screens use the same IR codes, using a handheld remote (or anything blasting IR) is tricky. Luckily they don't have great receive sensitivity, so you can just aim carefully, but it's not very elegant. There are also a ton more buttons than we need on the remote, and I'd like to make this as self-evident and stupid simple to use as possible.

If it matters, the TVs are Sharp Aquos model LC-C6554U. I believe it has a RS-232 port on the back, but I'll have to check next time I have one off the wall mount. (Should be any day now - I have wiring work to do.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-11-2010, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As soon as I post this, I stumble upon something that would be perfect.

For anyone looking at something similar, have a gander at Extron's MediaLink Control MLC 62 RS D.

http://www.extron.com/company/article.aspx?id=mlc62dad

Two RS-232-compatible outputs with programmable buttons. Since it has mandatory volume control, I'll need to find a box that'll accept RS-232 commands to adjust volume on a line-level signal...

The HACS ESS looks like a possibility. Any other suggestions?
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page