URC-R50 or Harmony One - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-06-2010, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a MX-500 owner, but that remote is getting old and doesn't have codes for some of my newer gear. I know I could get a JP1 remote to remedy that, but I'm ready for something new anyway.

That said, I recently picked up a Harmony 700 at Best Buy to test drive. I'm not particularly impressed with it. The buttons feel horrible and not particularly easy to distinguish by feel. More than anything, it has been 2 weeks and the case is already creaking. The IR strength is very average and we are having the same trouble with the U-Verse receiver that we have with the OE remote. Not a fan of charging via the USB port either and it is frustrating to make final tweaks (connect to PC, update, disconnect, test, repeat.)

Just playing with the Harmony One in the store, it feels like it is built better. The charging dock is supposed to be better than previous models. The button layout is still less than ideal to me, but better than prior models ('though nearly identical to the 700.) There are some good prices for it out there, which is the only reason I'm considering it. I'm not a fan of touch screen remotes, given the lack of tactility (i.e. can find buttons blindly.)

I just can't help but think that the URC-R50 would be a big compromise. I would eventually run into the same problem of having to teach it codes it doesn't have. The biggest thing I fear is the lack of freedom in moving buttons around. I want the most used buttons on the first device screen and my idea of what qualifies here may be different than the manufacturer.

Can anybody tell me what buttons can be "copied & pasted". I'm familiar with punching through the volume, but can you copy other buttons? I have manual done this with my receiver, so I can switch to "2 Channel Stereo" or "6 Channel Stereo" when listening to the Squeezebox, all without leaving the activity.

I almost pulled the trigger on a Harmony One yesterday ($170 on Amazon.com), but continue to hesitate considering the R50 is almost half that. Plus it is surely built better and twice the IR strength.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-25-2010, 09:28 PM

Try the R50 and see if it will command your gear. I like you had HTM MX700. I love the buttons and features. I will miss it as URC is no longer supporting the home enthusiast.

I bought the R50 and it almost covers system.I have an EMotiva pre pro and the codes arent there. So I'm a little stuck and very disappointed. Basically I want an R50 with Harmony programming.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-23-2012, 11:05 AM

Harmony One without a 2nd thought.
My dog ate my Harmony One and I replaced it with the URC R50 trying to save some money.
Big mistake. I am returning the R50 today and will bite the bullet and spend about three times as much money on the Harmony.
Set-up on the R50 is a nightmare compared to the Harmony. The manual stinks. The web site seems to think of the Home Audio person as an unwelcome guest (unless you are buying). I hate the R50 and am irked by the raving reviews on some of the "independent" Universal Remote websites.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page