Universal Remote codes for Blu-ray Players - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-10-2010, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Perhaps this is common knowledge, but I called Sony Customer Service today, I was told that the code for the Sony Blu-ray disc player was a -5- digit code ("11516" for the "Sony" Universal Remote).

Well, what a Journey ! ! !

In days gone by, I could operate all of my home theater components with a inexpensive Philips Magnavox Universal Remote, which used -3- digit codes (PM720G). Their current Universal Remote SRU5107 uses 4 digit codes, basically adding a -0- to most of the 3 digit codes...

Then, I got cable, and my Time Warner Atlas OACP 5-Device Remote Control (The Atlas 1056-B, made by Universal Electronics), that uses -4- digit codes.

But now, I have purchased a Sony Blu-ray player, the BDP-370/BX37. And Sony had raised the remote code bar... to -5- digit codes....

So now , It seems, I cannot operate my Sony Blu-ray disc player with either the Time Warner remote, or the Philips Magnavox remote.

My Philips Magnavox PM720G remote is a "Learning" remote... but since it accepts -3- digit codes, I assume it cannot learn 4, or 5 digit codes....

Well, I do not intend any time soon purchasing a high end remote, when I've gotten by for so long with universal remotes uner $50 !

Why, oh why did Sony have to go to a -5- digit code for Blu-ray players ? Or, have all the Blu-ray manufacturers done this ( a conspiracy ? ? ).

Cable Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-10-2010, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Setup codes aren't universal, and the code Sony gave you will only work with some newer remotes made by Universal Electronics-- which is the actual designer of the Sony VLZ-620. It's actually a 4 digit code with a 1 prefeix, which in the Sony remote means a Video device. Some other UEI remotes would use 21516, where 2 means Video. Either way, the main part of the setup code is 1516.

Sony Blu-ray players use the Sony IR protocol, but with device numbers that are different from other Sony components. That keeps your Bluray remote from talking to a Sony DVD player for example. Most universal remotes on the market don't have a setup code for Sony Blu-ray players, because the remotes were designed before the players came out.

If you don't want to buy a Sony VLZ-620, you could also buy a RCA RCRP05B ($20 at Walgreen or Walmart) or a OneFOrAll URC-8820N at Sears for a similar price. Or you local Radio Shack might have a RS 15-133/134/135 on clearance for $0.97.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-11-2010, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
The sony blu-ray code in the philips sru5107 is dvd 1241.

The funny thing is philips code 1241 matches the sony 1516/21516 uei code in the ofa rcrp05s, and rs 15-134 remotes, but the same 1516 dvd code in two ofa urc-8820n's, the play command doesn't match the other remotes.
post #4 of 12 Old 12-16-2010, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
Hooray.... the 1516 code works in the Atlas 1056 for the Sony BDP-S370 / BX37 !

I tried a 3-digit code, of 516 and 241 for the PM720G remote, but no luck there.

Cable Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
post #5 of 12 Old 02-23-2013, 01:44 PM

Liked: 10
Re - " Hooray.... the 1516 code works in the Atlas 1056 for the Sony BDP-S370 / BX37 !

I tried a 3-digit code, of 516 and 241 for the PM720G remote, but no luck there. "
Thanks you so much for posting that. After a few hours of NOTHING WORKS I found your post & tried 1516. PERFECT.

Brand new Sony bdp-bx59 Blu ray player with a Rogers Atlas PVR remote, Model 1056B01
post #6 of 12 Old 03-28-2013, 09:08 PM

Have you guys tried just teaching the remote the buttons (Learning code 975) WITHOUT bothering with the device codes?

I have the old 1056B01 Atlas remote (no backlight), and it seems I can teach it in any mode from any old remote I got. My AUX device code is 1972 (XBOX 360, under Microsoft VCR or PVR in the guide), but I can shove an LG TV remote's Sleep button in there on the triangular A button, my Samsung DVD/VCR remote's Power button in there on the square B button, and my Motorola Cable Box remote's GUIDE button (from my back-up 1056B01 remote) in there on the circular C button. In AUX mode, it sends signals understood by each of 4 machines.

You can disregard the codes completely. The remote has a big database of presets for the button signals used by various machines of many popular brands, in which a single preset is looked up by the device code, but if the codes in the guide don't work, and the search turns up nothing, it just means the machine you are trying to control either came out after this database, or for some reason, it didn't get a button preset developed for it. Even then, there is a good chance the remote can learn the individual button signals anyway.

You can disregard the device types too. My AUD device code is factory preset to 1023 (under RCA Audio Amp/Tuner), and I can put in whatever TV or VCR or Cable Box functions I want on any of the programmable buttons. Each device code seems to uniquely identify what device type it is for, merely by referring to a button preset that is for an audio device, or a TV, or whatever it is for. Putting the same code for several device keys works okay, regardless of what device type goes on what button. The device type for the key, which you reassign with code 992 (turn the DVD device key into a TV device key, for example), only seems to be used during the code search (code 991) because the remote tries a sequence of different codes for the type of the currently selected device key only.

The point is, you can program the remote (1056B01, NOT the inferior backlit 1056B03) without the device code, even if the code search turns up empty, and without worrying about the device type (AUX, DVD, AUD, TV, and CBL). Without using the device code, I don't think you can actually get the Power button working, since you can't directly learn on the Power button, so you have to put the Power button on another Atlas remote button. The Power button is not an exception to learnable buttons in the instructions, but it doesn't seem to accept learning.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-28-2013, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

But the learning memory isn't very big, probably under 75 commands for the whole remote.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-29-2013, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
It's good to hear that sony blu-ray codes are finally showing up in these newer versions. It's about time.

That is a good, simple solution, Give n Take, but advanced codes (EFCs) and keymoves are much more efficient memory-wise and achieve the same result. It's very easy to keymove from one device to another. Plus, with EFCs you can add commands that don't exist on the original remotes, like discrete power and input commands. It's also very rare to find a learning Atlas, so you're very lucky in that regard.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-30-2013, 01:21 AM

Shaw keeps trying to give me the backlit one. I've taken 2 back. The first didn't accept programming at all.

I didn't know EFCs are more efficient memory-wise, but I had trouble finding the codes until this:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/lookup/

That has Microsoft's Video 1972 format, which has given me the OK button in the middle of the d-pad (00035) and the Skip + button (00226) onto the LIVE button so far for my XBOX 360 controls. With the 1972 device code, those buttons didn't function automatically. I was looking for that EFC solution precisely for the reason of not having the remote, and code 1972 left out those functions.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-30-2013, 01:22 AM

The learning memory isn't very big, but I've programmed all the extra buttons for 3 remotes on it, and have never hit the limit.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-30-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

The URC RF10 8 device Rf universal remote which can be found for under $40, has a learning memory of 702 commands, there are 43 keys in 8 devices, thats 344 commands, but with it shift function, you can have two commands per key, that doubles it to 688. You still have 14 commands left. You will NEVER run out of learning memory on that remote.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-10-2014, 10:17 PM

Thank you for finding the remote code. I have the same Blu Ray and Time Warner remote as you do. I found by using your 5 digit number as a start, the 4 digit code 1516 works !

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Remotes And Controllers , Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page