Differences between Harmony 650 and 700 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-04-2011, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need help deciding if its worth paying the extra $25 or so to get a 700 instead of a 650 but finding the details of the differences have been a bit confusing

So far I got:
5 vs 6 device control
Rechargeable for 700... but can you add rechargeable batteries to the 650?

any size or physical/feel differences
and most important, any functional differences as far as control over AV devices

Thanks
DJ

DJ
Vischeck Color deficiency goodies: 8.5% of the human population
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-04-2011, 10:54 PM

Liked: 11
5 vs 6 devices
you can use rechargeable batteries but you have to remove it every time when you want to charge them in H650, in H700 u can charge them in remote conecting remote to charger.
no more differences exepct color.

Sony 46HX850 | Sony 46Z4500 | Onkyo 905, Monitor Audio RX8 + RX LCR | Logitech Z-680 | HTPC: (Core i5 4570S, Asus H87M-PRO, 4GB, Intel X25-M 80GB SSD, WD20EARS, Pionner BDC-202, Antec Fusion Remote Black)
post #3 of 9 Old 01-05-2011, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

read a bunch more stuff online about Harmony remotes and other brands/models. decided to try the URC-R50 remote as it had great reviews and seems to be well made. the Harmony 650 and 700 both seem to have issues with quality and battery connections. Also liked the IR learning option of the R50 that doesnt seem to be available on the Harmony ones. also fell price wise between the 650 and 700 via amazon at $90

DJ
post #4 of 9 Old 01-05-2011, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 324
The R50 is a nice, quality remote. But for the record, all harmonys are learning (that's where most of their database comes from). If you haven't ordered yet, you may also want to consider the Xsight. It has the quality of a URC and the PC programmability of a harmony. If you have DirecTV, it also has the added advantage of native RF control of DirecTV receivers. The prices for Xsight are very good right now.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-05-2011, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
The R50 is a nice, quality remote. But for the record, all harmonys are learning (that's where most of their database comes from). If you haven't ordered yet, you may also want to consider the Xsight. It has the quality of a URC and the PC programmability of a harmony. If you have DirecTV, it also has the added advantage of native RF control of DirecTV receivers. The prices for Xsight are very good right now.
I did order it already so Ill try it out and if I don't like it then Ill send it back for either the Xsight or a Harmony... depending on how current their database is I may have to learn all the 8350 codes. Are you saying that it will not control my DirecTV DVR then?? that will definitely kill the deal. At least Amazon has a great return policy.
EDIT: I found my answer to the DirecTV DVR. Just had to go into the menu-remote control- advanced setup, and change it to IR from RF. so that problem is solved

DJ
post #6 of 9 Old 01-05-2011, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

All will control DirecTV via IR, including the R50. I'm just saying the Xsight Touch can do it via RF with no transceiver, and no one else can. Xsight Color has no RF. If your D* box is in a remote location, RF would be a plus.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-07-2011, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

All will control DirecTV via IR, including the R50. I'm just saying the Xsight Touch can do it via RF with no transceiver, and no one else can. Xsight Color has no RF. If your D* box is in a remote location, RF would be a plus.

Tried the R50 for a day. my first experience with programmable remotes. took a while to figure out the programming/ macro steps but goes real quick via the LCD display once u have the hang of it. Overall its seems like a well made remote and doesn't feel cheap at all. The pre programmed codes didn't match up quite right for my epson PJ and I didn't like the LCD layout for the direct TV remote so I ended up doing both manually via the learn feature and got it working well. same for the Onkyo receiver.

That said. my gripes were that you cannot move the buttons around on the lcd and if you hide a button you are left with a blank space. so you would have to reprogram the entire LCD part in order to add a button in between or delete a blank space. also you cannot manually enter device code numbers, you can only select from the built-in list... I did program a few macros to open the memory page and load different color configs for the Projector.

In the end I decided that as i use my PS3 too much, esp for streaming netflix etc. to own a remote that cannot control the PS3. one caveat with netflix on the PS3 is that to exit the app you need the PS button, (aka the off on button) so once in netflix, without bluetooth device you cannot exit. the usb dongles don't allow you to exit or power off.

Can you check your AR remote and under DVD see if there is a listing for Schmartz? they make an adapter for the PS3 bluetooth and it seems that AR may have a code for it

DJ
post #8 of 9 Old 01-07-2011, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't have an AR remote anymore, but I believe the answer is yes per THIS thread.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-07-2011, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

here is what I ended up with ( arrived today). http://www.blu-link.com/
amazon just dropped the price $4 so I need to call customer service and get a bill credit...
Works great. relatively easy to setup. You can learn commands to all the buttons except the clear device buttons along the top. other than the fact that u kind of have to remember where you mapped the specialized buttons, it works as its supposed to. I got my Epson PJ remote all mapped to it. using the square, triangle for input sources etc... I also used the pre programmed code for the Directv then learned a couple of additional buttons after that and it worked...
with my PS3 Phat u just have to hold the power button down for a few seconds for it to turn the system off. Haven't tried in on my PS3 Slim upstairs that may only require a short press to turn off.

The only shortcomings are: no macros, only does volume punch through, not channel or power etc. but at around $40 delivered this is a great choice for a PS3 universal remote

Now a gripe, if this company can do a universal bluray remote for this price, why can't other companies include bluray control in their big $$ remotes.. Esp Sony!

still gonna look for a full function remote which if i find a winner Ill just move this one too use on tv and ps3 upstairs as we still have a couple remotes for that too

DJ
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page