WiFi to IR bridges - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 01-21-2011, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody know of a WiFi to IR bridge other than Global Cache's WF2IR? How about Bluetooth to IR? Ideally both of these should come with Android apps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-22-2011, 08:56 PM

Here is your answer

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/beacon
post #3 of 15 Old 01-23-2011, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

It sounds like he is looking for something to use that's based on Android; The Griffin product appears to be designed for Apple only...

Of course, products like the GC series don't have anything to do with the OS of the product using them. For instance, the GC 100 that I use (with an ipod Touch) just translates TCPIP to IR or serial so anything that can output data over TCPIP can use it with the correct software. As such I don't know why something like the GC would come with an OS specific sotware. The GC has a built in web server, like a Linksys router, so it is setup primarily via a web browser.

Aqua, what is it you are looking to do, specifically?

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over.....
post #4 of 15 Old 01-23-2011, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer533 View Post

Aqua, what is it you are looking to do, specifically?

I'm looking (among others) to control my kids' TV from my basement office . BT might not make it that far, unfortunately. WiFi would be so much better, and it would allow remote control over the Internet as well, but that WF2IR is really expensive.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-23-2011, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

What equipment do you have that you are looking to control? Is it just the TV or TV and AVR etc...

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over.....
post #6 of 15 Old 01-23-2011, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

What equipment do you have that you are looking to control? Is it just the TV or TV and AVR etc...

Just the TV for now, though, surely, I'd like to leave room for other stuff as well, such as DVD player, cable box etc.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-28-2012, 09:38 AM

Picked up the Samy UN55D8000 yesterday and now am looking for an all-in-one remote option.

Since I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 with the remote app already it works flawlessly being on the same wirelss network. However, this is a TV only option so for my PS3 & Comcast Cable/DVR box I'm left using the standard remotes.

So far I've seen only 2 options that may fulfill my dream of having a remote on my tablet to control all 3 devices...

The Logitech Haromony Link with optional PS3 adapter or the Griffin Beacon option. The later doesn't seem to support any link to a PS3 so by not being able to control 1 out of 3 devices it's probably out of the running.

I'm also looking for it to be somewhat customizeable for button deigns/layout etc. I don't really have too many macro needs just looking for that all in one cool solution for the tablet or phone.

I'm doing a lot more digging into the Logitech option and for $150 for the base unit and the PS3 adapter its not like a huge investment either.

Anyone have thoughts on these options?
post #8 of 15 Old 01-28-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:

It sounds like he is looking for something to use that's based on Android; The Griffin product appears to be designed for Apple only...

The link provided shows the Griffin Beacon is compatible with both iOS and Android.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-28-2012, 07:30 PM

I tried the Griffin Beacon with my iPhone 4 for about a week and returned it. It's battery powered and uses bluetooth which restricts the unit to one device at a time. You also have to physically press the top of the Beacon to activate it, then wait for the Bluetooth to connect to the phone each time you want to use it. It was very slow to send commands to the tv and cable box I was trying to control. On numerous occasions the commands would keep repeating itself, causing crazy channel changing and volume changes. I've ordered the RedEye WiFi and will give it a try. It's AC powered and is wifi to ir, plus you can have multiple Apple iDevices or Android devices connected at the same time as well as a computer. It's got 360 degrees of ir and a built in charging dock for the iPhone/iPod and it will work with the Logitech PS3 Adapter. It also has an ir out port and I'm going to try an ir blaster wired from it to another room to see if I can control two rooms of equipment.

"I'm suffering from the dreaded upgrade bug"
post #10 of 15 Old 01-29-2012, 08:56 AM

So I guess it's still a toss up between the Harmony Link and the Griffin Beacon since I can still use the PS3 adapter on either, thank you for that key piece of info.

Does anyone else know of any other Android based remote control apps that will control the standard TV/DVR setup but also control a PS3?

BTW, anyone looking for relatively "cheap" tablets should try and pick up a used Nook Color and run CM7 on it. Pretty much turns into a full fledged tablet w/o a camera, mic or GPS.
post #11 of 15 Old 11-21-2012, 10:57 AM

Sorry to revive an older thread but was wondering if there are any new options to meet this exact same requirement (Android App controlling IR Blaster). Logitech Harmony Link seems to be withdrawn by many suppliers (why?) and Griffin Beacon is a bit of a non starter due to the need to initiate a bluetooth session each time you want to use it. With some major volumes of fresh Android Tablet users out there more recently (Nexus 7 etc) I was hoping there would be a bit more choice by now ??
post #12 of 15 Old 06-05-2013, 11:28 AM

Logitech has updated the Touch line creating a new Touch / Link hybrid - Engadet calls it the Touch Plus see:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/16/logitech-harmony-ultimate-smart-control/
post #13 of 15 Old 06-05-2013, 01:50 PM

I'm using an old Harmony Link (discontinued), with the new Harmony iPhone App, works great, has a much cleaner interface than the old Harmony Link App and I'm just really happy devices and Apps have been refreshed. The new App has additional features similar to the Logitech Touch Mouse, that is, the App allows for programmable finger gestures for your home theater device control.

The Griffin Beacon, iPhone headphone IR blasters, among the other devices referenced in this thread don't compare to the Harmony Link or these new Touch remotes. In my opinion for the money these Logitech remotes are the best devices available, with excellent FREE companion smart phone apps.

The lower priced Harmony Smart Control bundle contains a simplified "Touch" remote control and the "Harmony Hub" (very similar to the old Harmony Link) just add bluetooth for game console and other device control, is compatible with iPhone & Android devices.
post #14 of 15 Old 06-05-2013, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Ginmn, you might be interested in THIS thread that was started when the Ultimate was first announced.
post #15 of 15 Old 01-13-2014, 06:21 AM

Yep, for WIFI to Infrared check WIFI to Infrared - Irdroid and for Bluetooth to infraredĀ  this URL :http://www.irdroid.com/irdroid-v2/

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Global Cache

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page