Need recommendations for IR repeater/extender - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-26-2011, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Two quick disclaimers:
1) I looked through threads already and haven't found any answers to my specific needs.
2) Haven't had a reason to use IR or RF extenders/repeaters to date, so just getting feet wet.

Anyway, he's my situation: Flat-screen on a chimney above mantle. HDMI and Cat5 in wall to a closed cabinet on a side wall (not in line of site with TV), but the run is over 25-30 feet.

I'm looking for any suggestions you guys have about an IR repeater/extender that is unobtrusive at the receiver side (i.e. just the IR sensor/pad on TV or something fairly small). Needs to handle a 10-15" IR reach from the couch. I've ruled out the $20 monoprice little antenna dual-unit solution given reviews of bad receiver reception/distance. The pyramid solution seems too big -- unless something like it could be mounted behind TV with sensor to front.

I'd prefer a RF solution between TV and the cabinet -- it needs to go 1 receiver/sensor to 2 transmitters (DVD + Cable Box).

I'm open to a wired solution if I can make use of the in-wall Cat5. Everything I look at as wired has it's own cable and never as long as I need.

I am not looking at universal remote solutions (yet...) -- i.e. I still want to use my native remotes, believe it or not.

Would like to keep this under $100-150 but willing to go $200 if the solution is rock solid.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-01-2011, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a similar setup, TV on wall with a cabinet on the other side of the room. I use the Hotlink XL system and I've been very happy with it. You want the XL version (not the Pro) because the XL allows you to connect your receiver eye to the emitters via Cat5 cable. Note that this setup is entirely IR. You also have to be careful with positioning of the receiver eye (Microsmith recommends the back of the TV). Price is less on Amazon.

http://www.hot-link.com/pages/produc...id=1&mrchid=11
post #3 of 6 Old 03-01-2011, 07:18 PM

Niles Audio along with many others make it kits. I use them all the time. You can extend the flashers or the pickup with your CAT5 cable to the distance you need.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-01-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeDub18T
Niles Audio along with many others make it kits. I use them all the time. You can extend the flashers or the pickup with your CAT5 cable to the distance you need.
I don't have any personal experience with Niles repeater systems, but can recommend using Xantech, just make sure you purchase the latest technology, I think it's the 'DL' series, some of the older sensors don't work too well with all components.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-02-2011, 05:31 AM

I have used both and both are reliable units and are comparable in cost.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-02-2011, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
IR Target:
http://www.a1components.com/itemdisp...spx?item=11779

IR Hub:
http://www.a1components.com/itemdisp...spx?item=11763

IR Emitter:
http://www.a1components.com/itemdisp...spx?item=11726

Grand Total = $59 + shipping

Tie the IR Target wires into your CAT 5 run (I like to connect each of the four target leads into a full twisted pair on the CAT 5). The other end of the CAT5 run connects into the IR Hub. I use this in my home setup (I have 8 targets throughout the house connected to CAT 5 running to one IR hub in my basement media closet)
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page