Remote Control FAQ, Buyer's Guide, and Programming Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
post #31 of 51 Old 02-06-2013, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2687
Great thread !
noshank likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 07-06-2014, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I found that using a Samsung galaxy tab with ir and the touchsquid app is the best.
post #33 of 51 Old 01-14-2015, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Hmmm this looks very nice...https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...hinking-remote
JayMan007 likes this.

post #34 of 51 Old 02-05-2015, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglm View Post
Hopefully it functions as well as it looks. Can't have too many competitors for best remote so good luck to them. I'm just not holding my breath or pulling out my wallet.

post #35 of 51 Old 01-09-2016, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Great thread!
I have a URC 980 and a 3000. I have the programming -CCP & the Editor. I've been looking at downloadable graphics from www.Remotecentral. I can program these remotes but I can't figure out how to get what I want from that web site into the CCP or Editor program. Could you give me a step by step on how do this? I also downloaded a lot of icons from a place called Blackman.com. These went into Program Files x86. Any advice appreciated.
post #36 of 51 Old 04-18-2016, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm trying to find a work around to the fact that my new Samsung JS7000 tv cannot output sound through it's speakers and audio out at the same time. I need the audio out to feed an amp and loop for a hearing impaired individual while the hearing person hears via the Tv speakers.

A partial solution is to feed the loop directly from the satelite box. The down side to this is having no volume control as the Direct TV remote controls only the TV volume and not the volume on its audio out.

I would like to control the two audio streams in tandem with one remote, would a universal remote enable this?
post #37 of 51 Unread 08-29-2016, 06:19 PM

Liked: 0
Boston Acoustic Recepter

Need remote code to control old Recepter HS radio with Time Warner cable remote. TWC manual says the code is 447. It is not. Any ideas? Thanks! G
post #38 of 51 Unread 08-29-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gderk View Post
Boston Acoustic Recepter

Need remote code to control old Recepter HS radio with Time Warner cable remote. TWC manual says the code is 447. It is not. Any ideas? Thanks! G
^^ Recepter HD radio. Sorry, fat fingers.
post #39 of 51 Unread 11-19-2016, 01:02 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
any suggestion on a remote to control kodi (windows)

how is something like this?
post #40 of 51 Unread 11-20-2016, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Similar to the post above, Im actually curious now that some of these technologies have been out for awhile, what are people recommending these days? Are these still the big players and if so, which is the best? Demopad seemed to have a strong following but the iRule people have the larger forum.... anyone?
post #41 of 51 Unread 12-04-2016, 08:43 AM

help with christmas gift

Hi,

I'm trying to buy my husband a universal remote for Christmas for our new theater room. I am clueless and looking for any advise on which brand to go for. I've been looking at the Harmony 650 only because we had a Harmony remote several years ago and he loved it. It finally died after being dropped and the screen broke. Here are the following devices we will be controlling with this new remote:

Epson Projector
Xbox One
Phillips Blue Ray Player
Onkyo Stereo System

Thank you!
post #42 of 51 Unread 12-04-2016, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2146 Post(s)
Liked: 948
650 will work fine. 700 is also often on sale around the holidays and adds rechargeable batteries while the 650 lacks. Biggest drawback with these versus the more expensive Elite is that you have to aim them at the thing your controlling, which could be a problem if the projector is behind you and the stereo/xbox/bluray are in front of you. Elite solves this but is much more expensive.
post #43 of 51 Unread 12-17-2016, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Remote for computer

I hate to play back computer files(movies,tv shows, etc)with a keyboard. Is there a remote that would work with Windows Media Player, VLC Player, Tivo, etc? Also, I would like to fast forward through these files with a remote. Can you do things like rename files, etc. with a remote? I know there are cell phone apps for this, but I would prefer a remote.
post #44 of 51 Unread 12-17-2016, 05:25 PM

A remote in lieu of a keyboard for renaming files, etc. is essentially just a smaller, harder to use keyboard. The most practical use of a remote with a PC or any media device is for transport control (play, rewind, etc.), and of course can be done with nearly any universal remote.

So I recommend you try to pinpoint what you dislike about using a keyboard for keyboard related tasks and imagine how this experience would improve if the keyboard were simply smaller, which is what you get with a "remote".

In my experience, playback is 95% of what I use a PC remote for. The few times I need true keyboard/mouse functionality, I use an actual keyboard/mouse or smartphone app. I find this to be the best compromise for overall efficient and simple control of a complex device like a PC.
post #45 of 51 Unread 12-30-2016, 02:04 PM

This is great information thanks!
post #46 of 51 Unread 02-28-2017, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have been a Harmony One user for a number of years. My remote is starting to have buttons that are hard to press, so I am looking at either upgrading or finding a replacement.

I have all of my main devices on IP, so one of the questions I have is whether:

1) Get a new(used) Harmony One and be happy (cheapest)
2) Upgrade to the newer Harmony Elite and incorporate the Hub so that I can control from my iPad(s), mobile as well as device
3) Move to another system like the URC and go through a learning curve

My main complaint with the Harmony One is that the line of sight IR does not alway hit every device in my cabinet - I have about 8 devices to control (Pioneer Kuro Plasma, Sony PS4, Oppo 105D, Dish VIP722, Logitech Transporter, Integra DHC-80.3 processor, Xbox 360, Wii, Velodyne DD-15 sub). I do have to hit the "help" button and repoint about 25% of the time. I like the task oriented nature and am pretty happy. I do not have a lot of "smart systems" in my home - no Alexa, no Nest, etc. I will be upgrading a few elements of the system - Anthem AVM60 to replace the Integra DHC-80.3 and possibly an LG OLED screen.

Any suggestions on approach?
post #47 of 51 Unread 03-02-2017, 08:15 AM

4) Get a new Harmony 700 (cheaper than a One, has row of colored buttons and isn't old, worn out and obsolete. Drawback is screen is smaller (4 buttons per page vs. 6), and charges by cable instead of cradle. 8 device limit, but should be fine for your case)

Elite will solve your LOS issues.

URC learning curve is steep. And URC does not have a product as cheap has Harmony that has phone/tablet app as well. However, URC is far more programmable. If you have any complex macros, URC is much better at that sort of thing.
post #48 of 51 Unread 03-02-2017, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
4) Get a new Harmony 700 (cheaper than a One, has row of colored buttons and isn't old, worn out and obsolete. Drawback is screen is smaller (4 buttons per page vs. 6), and charges by cable instead of cradle. 8 device limit, but should be fine for your case)

Elite will solve your LOS issues.

URC learning curve is steep. And URC does not have a product as cheap has Harmony that has phone/tablet app as well. However, URC is far more programmable. If you have any complex macros, URC is much better at that sort of thing.
Thanks for the info. I am a software engineer, so the programming does not daunt me. I think my gut says to go with the Harmony Elite and eventually to play with IFTTT and Alexa over time. The LOS will win me fans at home. URC seems overkill at the moment and the price is less attractive than the sub $300 street price for the Elite.
mdavej likes this.
post #49 of 51 Unread Today, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thank you for making this forum sticky. I have been trying to make sense of universal remote features and this helps a lot.

My confusion (which drew me here) was about IR & RF implementations in universal remote controls. From what I gather here, RF is only used in universal remotes to control IR devices through a repeater and NOT RF devices themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Note that a universal RF remote is not designed to learn or control other RF devices such as ceiling fans, garage door openers, gas logs, or any other device that has no IR input. In most cases you can assume that if you have an RF device then it either needs to be switched to an IR mode (such as a DirecTV DVR) or you will not be able to control it with anything except for the OEM remote.
Since this thread is a several years old, I want to verify that the above is still correct. I've been confused trying to find basic remotes to control a combination of devices that I have (Home theater receiver-IR, Roku Premiere-RF, Samsung 6300 TV-RF, other devices that aren't a big deal). If the above quote is still true, I CAN NOT control my Roku & TV with a universal remote because they are RF. Is this still correct?
post #50 of 51 Unread Today, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroP View Post
Thank you for making this forum sticky. I have been trying to make sense of universal remote features and this helps a lot.

My confusion (which drew me here) was about IR & RF implementations in universal remote controls. From what I gather here, RF is only used in universal remotes to control IR devices through a repeater and NOT RF devices themselves.

Since this thread is a several years old, I want to verify that the above is still correct. I've been confused trying to find basic remotes to control a combination of devices that I have (Home theater receiver-IR, Roku Premiere-RF, Samsung 6300 TV-RF, other devices that aren't a big deal). If the above quote is still true, I CAN NOT control my Roku & TV with a universal remote because they are RF. Is this still correct?
Most RF devices also have an IR input. A Roku has IR, but not the Roku Stick. I'm not sure about your TV, but I'd be surprised if it didn't have an IR input either. It is easy enough to test. Just find any programmable remote (cable box, AVR, Blu-ray) and put in the Samsung codes and test it.

post #51 of 51 Unread Today, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroP View Post

Confirming what Bryan said, both your Roku and TV are RF AND IR, hence can be control by any IR or RF universal remote. The fact that your Roku and TV come with RF remotes doesn't mean these devices no longer work with IR.

Some newer universals have implemented limited direct "RF" capabilities in the form of wifi and bluetooth. A Harmony hub-based remote, for example will control your Roku via "RF" (wifi or bluetooth) but not your TV. Other smartphone/tablet app remotes will control your TV via wifi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers , Remote Control Harmony 650 , Harmony 900 Remote , Logitech Harmony 890 Remote Control Refurbished , Harmony 1100 Remcontrol , Cat5 Rack 1u