HELP! Using IR/RF to control two cable boxes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-15-2011, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have figured out how to set up a system in my under-construction home, but keep coming up against it with regards to controlling things with a remote.

Basically, I can set up a server room that houses 2 identical DVR [cox HD dvrs or two tivos, whatever] on a 4x4 matrix switch, which should allow me to sit in my living room and choose which source feeds that tv, while my wife sits in another room and chooses the other source.

Here is the catch: Remotes for Cox cable boxes or tivos, are set so that one remote controls ANY box, meaning they aren't specifically tied to one box. So, even though I can direct the video [or control the video] to specific rooms in the house, and have different rooms watching different things, when I sit in that room and change something [channel, recording, etc] it will change it on both boxes.

Are there any IR/RF setups that solve this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-15-2011, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 185
RF setups solve the issue by having addressable IR ports. Read my sticky in this forum for an explanation of RF extenders.

post #3 of 7 Old 03-15-2011, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
An "addressable" RF base station like the MFC-350 is needed to control two or more identical devices, and with some limitations you should be able to deploy two identical RF remotes to manage a single base station. The required URC remotes are in the commercial line and you may need to purchase through a customizer that will set it up for you.
post #4 of 7 Old 03-15-2011, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You wrote "An RF Extender requires the use of an RF remote. The RF remote...
...With most RF Extenders you can specify which port to emit the IR signal. With multiple ports you can have multiple of the same device. The IR signal will be routed to that device and not the other devices. This allows you to control multiples of the same device with a single remote."

And

When using the addressable emitter ports you can assign duplicate devices to separate ports and control them independently of each other. Since the emitters cover the IR receiver (you can further cover the receiver and emitter as needed with electrical tape or similar) you can eliminate bleed through of the IR signal. Doing this would allow you to control multiple identical TVs or cable boxes in a sports bar using a single remote. With an IR only remote the signal would likely be received by more than one TV.

So, if i am understanding this correctly, I can have three rooms with TVs, my duplicate cable boxes housed in a server room [with a matrix switch]. I then use an addressable RF base station in each of the rooms with the tvs, I then can control the two cable boxes independently from two different rooms [using the cable remotes that come with the box]?
post #5 of 7 Old 03-16-2011, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachj14 View Post

So, if i am understanding this correctly, I can have three rooms with TVs, my duplicate cable boxes housed in a server room [with a matrix switch]. I then use an addressable RF base station in each of the rooms with the tvs, I then can control the two cable boxes independently from two different rooms

Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachj14 View Post

[using the cable remotes that come with the box]?

No. You need a proper RF universal remote that is compatible with the RF base. You could try to use something like the Next Generation RF extender with the existing cable remotes.

Why would you use the existing cable remotes? Don't you need the remotes to control the matrix switch and other devices? You would probably be better off with a universal remote in each room. At that point you need to figure out your budget.

post #6 of 7 Old 03-16-2011, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 377
I don't think next gen would work since it isn't addressable.

Coach, there is no cheap way to do what you want to do with cable. The remotes and bases are going to cost several hundred dollars. If money is an issue, you may as well put a dedicated cable box beside each tv.

You can do it quite cheaply with satellite however, since they have addressable boxes to begin with. You wouldn't need an addressable RF system. You'd only need a couple of universal RF remotes. With next gen, you'd only need one base and a transmitter battery for each remote. Again, this will only work with satellite, not cable.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-16-2011, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
The newer Next Generation Genius claims to be addressable, using different rf frequencies.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page