Irule Remote picture thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #271 of 367 Old 05-20-2013, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, lovely minimalistic look, really cool. I checked your shared pannels and they seem to be made for xga tablets. When importing them on a retina display things get messed up. Am I doing something wrong or do I have to redo each pannel layout? Thanks for any help. Sven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 367 Old 05-21-2013, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thanks for the kind words. The panels are made for the iPad mini, which is the same resolution as the regular non-retina iPad, but small physically. My wife like the look and wanted it loaded on to her iPad retina as well, even though it is in lower resolution.

It can be used to correct scale if loaded on the ipad retina as a regular ipad, and that is what we did for now until I have time to make all the objects to work in the retina resolution. IF you create a regular iPad handset in iRule, and use my buttons/screens, they will all display correctly, albeit not in the retina glory (not a big deal as my buttons are simple anyway)

To have it take advantage of the retina, all the buttons and backgrounds would need to be doubled in size prior to export from Adobe Illustrator. I'll be doing that in about two weeks (going away on vacation first) along with some improvements in the way I export the buttons for use in iRule.
post #273 of 367 Old 05-21-2013, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
BTW, I shared some more panels for laid out for Ceton Echo, XBMC, ATV, etc. They are all the same layout pretty much, but at least set up for each respective device type.
post #274 of 367 Old 08-16-2013, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Here are a couple of screenshots of my layout. This is the groundwork for the Avs user "politby"s backgrounds. Designed in Illustrator > Photoshop > .png for iPad 3 and iphone 4s.
Ive done the whole thing as a backgroundlayer and then put transparent buttons and liks over the layout in iRule. Works lika a charm.

TeeCue and nsdr like this.
post #275 of 367 Old 08-16-2013, 07:19 AM

^^^^^^

wow....nicest one i've seen in this thread
post #276 of 367 Old 08-22-2013, 09:40 AM

Two Thumbs Up!!smile.gif
I Thought I would share some screen shots of what I have done as well. Since I have so much fun looking at everyone's screen shots

post #277 of 367 Old 09-02-2013, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
mborner - Love your design...you should think about a side business!

I've downloaded your panels, and want to add an extra section to your home background labelled Automation (for lights, thermostat, locks and eventually security)...so my question is what software do I need to edit this background (and is there an easy way to get the original file so I can move the boxes and copy them (that say watch and listen)?

Thank you
post #278 of 367 Old 09-03-2013, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Thanks, BigRed!
All of my graphics are shared in the Builder, including the "watch" and "listen" text. They are hard to see because they are white and so is the background. All of my editing is done in Photoshop. If you want to save a graphic to your HDD, it can only be done while viewing a library. You'll have to go back to searching for the graphic and then click on the "eye" icon to view the library and from there you'll need to ctrl/left click/drag the image to your desktop.
If you need some editing done let me know.

Mike
post #279 of 367 Old 09-07-2013, 06:47 AM

Mike,

I found the watch and listen images (but just the line ones vs the box with an image and the words (as in the panel of yours)

downloadImage.jpeg 368k .jpeg file

I'm looking to add two extra boxes (Automate, Play)

Also, was hoping to get an empty button like the ones you have in the middle of your home page.

thank you for your help
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg downloadImage.jpeg (367.9 KB, 57 views)
post #280 of 367 Old 09-07-2013, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stennajay View Post

Here are a couple of screenshots of my layout. This is the groundwork for the Avs user "politby"s backgrounds. Designed in Illustrator > Photoshop > .png for iPad 3 and iphone 4s.
Ive done the whole thing as a backgroundlayer and then put transparent buttons and liks over the layout in iRule. Works lika a charm.

Anyway someone can explain how I can take these and customize in a program like Inkscape or the like? I have the files but need to integrate them into IRule in English and other things.

Onkyo 818, Emotiva Amp
B&W CT700 Series Speakers, (2) PowerSound Audio XS30s
Custom HTPC running Mediabrowser, 12TB Server for storage
post #281 of 367 Old 09-08-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 195
You would need the source image files that would let you edit the individual buttons (change text or swap the icon image).

post #282 of 367 Old 09-09-2013, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123BigRed View Post

Mike,

I found the watch and listen images (but just the line ones vs the box with an image and the words (as in the panel of yours)

downloadImage.jpeg 368k .jpeg file

I'm looking to add two extra boxes (Automate, Play)

Also, was hoping to get an empty button like the ones you have in the middle of your home page.

thank you for your help
BigRed, that image is the background of my home page. The reason the watch and listen graphics aren't shared in my library is because they are part of the background image. I will go ahead and add the images to my library this evening.
I don't know what "empty" button you are referring to on my home page. If you are referring to the inset that houses all of the buttons, that image is a default image in the iRule library. It's called "background inset". If that's not what you are referring to, let me know.

-Mike
post #283 of 367 Old 09-09-2013, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

You would need the source image files that would let you edit the individual buttons (change text or swap the icon image).

I am guessing that this is different than the png files the other user sent me..

Onkyo 818, Emotiva Amp
B&W CT700 Series Speakers, (2) PowerSound Audio XS30s
Custom HTPC running Mediabrowser, 12TB Server for storage
post #284 of 367 Old 09-09-2013, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleycol View Post

I am guessing that this is different than the png files the other user sent me..

You would need blank buttons and add your own stuff or the source files from the above project that could let you edit the text. More than likely you would need Adobe Illustrator, Fireworks, or such to edit those files. With blank .png files you could use pretty much any editing program.

post #285 of 367 Old 09-14-2013, 12:41 AM

Quote:

Hi,

this idea sounds really good.

Is it possible that you provide your layouts?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers Thomas
post #286 of 367 Old 09-15-2013, 12:43 PM

No problem. Just Pm me youre email if u want my original files or search kalvhund in irule.
post #287 of 367 Old 09-23-2013, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

Always experimenting with my UI, here's my latest.

post #288 of 367 Old 09-23-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I would be curious to see a panel with the latest design trend of flat icons and a colorful pallet (Android, iOS7, Metro). Looks like the trend in iRule is to replicate a physical remote.

post #289 of 367 Old 09-23-2013, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner View Post

Always experimenting with my UI, here's my latest.

Fantastic looks good. Keep inspiring.
post #290 of 367 Old 09-30-2013, 02:17 AM

Here is some of my new layouts done for iPad mini. Next step is to get all the things to work and of course make portrait layouts aswell as layouts for my iPad4 and Samsung s4. My "big" problem is now the keyboard and of course the swedish letters..
post #291 of 367 Old 10-04-2013, 12:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Here is some of my new layouts done for iPad mini. Next step is to get all the things to work and of course make portrait layouts aswell as layouts for my iPad4 and Samsung s4. My "big" problem is now the keyboard and of course the swedish letters..

stennajay, looks good.. seems you are doing this with respect to the ios7's flat ui...
The only thing i was thinking about is.. the white UI.. dont it find it distracting and pretty bright in a dark room while watching a movie.
I made a page with white background and found it pretty bright in a dark room, hence took it off and went back to the dark theme.
post #292 of 367 Old 10-04-2013, 01:20 AM

@holyindian
The idea of ​​my remote is that I am going to use it around the clock to control everything in the whole apartment. I consider a darker theme more difficult to see when there is sunshine. Although a darker version would have been preferable in the evening.

I did not experience the light as huge problem though. What one could do is to use a darker layout when using the HTPC and TV sections. Alternatively, add a night mode button in the layout changing to a darker theme throughout.
You got me thinking a step further, thanks! What would prevent me from doing this is if you can not have an unlimited amount of panels in a handset. Not sure if there is any limitation on the panels.

The ultimate solution would have been if you could get the device to detect when it is dark enough to switch to the dark version's panels. But this, I suspect, is not doable(?).
post #293 of 367 Old 10-04-2013, 03:05 AM

Not automatically but you can change the background picture with a variable and a button.
post #294 of 367 Old 10-04-2013, 03:59 AM

Exactly, but it will not be as cool as it had been if the unit itself felt the brightness of the room ang changed mode after that.

If you can have an unlimited number of panels in a handset, I will put a button on the home menu, so you can easily switch to the "dark mode" manually and do an darker layout for the "dark mode".
Is there anyone who knows if there is a limit on how many panels you can have in a handset? In my case we are talking about around 32 + 32 panels. I know there is a limit on 10 pages per panel so there should be a limit on panels aswell.
post #295 of 367 Old 10-04-2013, 07:02 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Exactly, but it will not be as cool as it had been if the unit itself felt the brightness of the room ang changed mode after that.

If you can have an unlimited number of panels in a handset, I will put a button on the home menu, so you can easily switch to the "dark mode" manually and do an darker layout for the "dark mode".
Is there anyone who knows if there is a limit on how many panels you can have in a handset? In my case we are talking about around 32 + 32 panels. I know there is a limit on 10 pages per panel so there should be a limit on panels aswell.

stennajay,
How do create what looks to be pop up windows in your setup? Looks like some small layers are on too of others based on a selection, is that the case?
post #296 of 367 Old 10-04-2013, 07:35 AM

I do my layouts in illustrator and then export them throgh photoshop to .png. Then i import the picture as a background and put transparent buttons on i in iRule. It works the way you describe.
I have an main background at first. On the power button i put an link button to a new panel. In that panel i import the layout with a black transparent box over the things "behind" the pop up. The whole black arean is a link back to main and on the buttons i have command buttons. It works and looks exactely lika popup windows.
post #297 of 367 Old 10-07-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:

I do my layouts in illustrator and then export them throgh photoshop to .png. Then i import the picture as a background and put transparent buttons on i in iRule. It works the way you describe.
I have an main background at first. On the power button i put an link button to a new panel. In that panel i import the layout with a black transparent box over the things "behind" the pop up. The whole black arean is a link back to main and on the buttons i have command buttons. It works and looks exactely lika popup windows.

Could you elaborate on this I'm having trouble following your explanation of how you're creating what look like popups.
Thanks.
post #298 of 367 Old 10-07-2013, 01:35 PM

Ok, since I se a limitation in the grid in iRule I´ve done my whole layout as a background instead of importing single bottons into the panels. That make it possible to place all buttons in a more
satisfying way in my opinion even if that means that my transparent links and buttons dosent fit perfect over my layout in iRule. In my world the choice stands between perfect design / 99% functionality or boring standard design and 100% function.

At fist I make the "home" layouts for the things I want to do, HTPC, Tv, Lights etc... If on a layout we have a power button that i want to have a "popup" connected to, I do as following.

When I´m done with my home layout I´m making an exact copy of that one and take a transparent box over the part of the home layout i want dimmed out and adding a new menu infront of the dimmed area.

In iRule i then import the home layout as a backgorund in page 1. Over the power button Im putting a transparent link botton that links me to page 2.
On page 2 I´m importing my dimmed out version with the popup effect as a background layer. In panel 2 i then make all the dimmed out area as transparent link buttons that links back to panel 2. Done!
In some cases I get a sliding effect between the two panels but in most cases it looks like a popup window I dont know the reason tho...

For example: in my HTPC Living Room panel i have the following pages, HTPC home, HTPCPower, HTPCMore, ButkickerLivingRoom, HTPCKeyboard, Sabnzb (url page), CouchPotatoe (url page) its much work but worth it.

Sorry for the bad english but its not my native language and I didnt attend much in school wink.gif
post #299 of 367 Old 10-12-2013, 11:55 AM

Would you be able to upload the illustrator files for your background Stennajay?
post #300 of 367 Old 10-23-2013, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I seriously hate IRule builder...why can't they make it more user friendly

Found out how to import images...now how do I resize them...you would think this would be easy
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Irule Llc , Irule

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page