AVS Forum banner

Irule Remote picture thread

128K views 403 replies 122 participants last post by  mpg7321 
#1 ·
I was hoping to create a thread seperate than the irule official thread dedicated to users remotes (screenshots) to help users get some creative insperation or ideas. We can share screenshots, ideas, photos, and templates.

i wanted to make this seperate because of the sheer size of the other thread and how hard it would be to navigate with everything happening in one place.

So guys please start posting your photos and help us spread some ideas and inspiration! Ill be posting mine once im home from work... even though its just an extension of the default template.

Thanks

#278 ·
Thanks, BigRed!

All of my graphics are shared in the Builder, including the "watch" and "listen" text. They are hard to see because they are white and so is the background. All of my editing is done in Photoshop. If you want to save a graphic to your HDD, it can only be done while viewing a library. You'll have to go back to searching for the graphic and then click on the "eye" icon to view the library and from there you'll need to ctrl/left click/drag the image to your desktop.

If you need some editing done let me know.

Mike

#279 ·
Mike,

I found the watch and listen images (but just the line ones vs the box with an image and the words (as in the panel of yours)

downloadImage.jpeg 368k .jpeg file

I'm looking to add two extra boxes (Automate, Play)

Also, was hoping to get an empty button like the ones you have in the middle of your home page.

thank you for your help

Attachments

#280 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stennajay  /t/1322187/irule-remote-picture-thread/270#post_23634912

Here are a couple of screenshots of my layout. This is the groundwork for the Avs user "politby"s backgrounds. Designed in Illustrator > Photoshop > .png for iPad 3 and iphone 4s.

Ive done the whole thing as a backgroundlayer and then put transparent buttons and liks over the layout in iRule. Works lika a charm.

Anyway someone can explain how I can take these and customize in a program like Inkscape or the like? I have the files but need to integrate them into IRule in English and other things.

#282 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123BigRed  /t/1322187/irule-remote-picture-thread/270#post_23709988

Mike,

I found the watch and listen images (but just the line ones vs the box with an image and the words (as in the panel of yours)

downloadImage.jpeg 368k .jpeg file

I'm looking to add two extra boxes (Automate, Play)

Also, was hoping to get an empty button like the ones you have in the middle of your home page.

thank you for your help
BigRed, that image is the background of my home page. The reason the watch and listen graphics aren't shared in my library is because they are part of the background image. I will go ahead and add the images to my library this evening.

I don't know what "empty" button you are referring to on my home page. If you are referring to the inset that houses all of the buttons, that image is a default image in the iRule library. It's called "background inset". If that's not what you are referring to, let me know.

-Mike

#283 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj  /t/1322187/irule-remote-picture-thread/270#post_23713154

You would need the source image files that would let you edit the individual buttons (change text or swap the icon image).

I am guessing that this is different than the png files the other user sent me..

#284 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleycol  /t/1322187/irule-remote-picture-thread/270#post_23718191

I am guessing that this is different than the png files the other user sent me..

You would need blank buttons and add your own stuff or the source files from the above project that could let you edit the text. More than likely you would need Adobe Illustrator, Fireworks, or such to edit those files. With blank .png files you could use pretty much any editing program.

#285 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stennajay  /t/1322187/irule-remote-picture-thread/270#post_23634912

Here are a couple of screenshots of my layout. This is the groundwork for the Avs user "politby"s backgrounds. Designed in Illustrator > Photoshop > .png for iPad 3 and iphone 4s.

Ive done the whole thing as a backgroundlayer and then put transparent buttons and liks over the layout in iRule. Works lika a charm.

Hi,

this idea sounds really good.

Is it possible that you provide your layouts?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers Thomas

#287 ·
Always experimenting with my UI, here's my latest.

Reactions: jasonsmithpharmd
#289 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner  /t/1322187/irule-remote-picture-thread/270#post_23762549

Always experimenting with my UI, here's my latest.

Fantastic looks good. Keep inspiring.

#291 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stennajay  /t/1322187/irule-remote-picture-thread/270#post_23785817

Here is some of my new layouts done for iPad mini. Next step is to get all the things to work and of course make portrait layouts aswell as layouts for my iPad4 and Samsung s4. My "big" problem is now the keyboard and of course the swedish letters..

stennajay, looks good.. seems you are doing this with respect to the ios7's flat ui...

The only thing i was thinking about is.. the white UI.. dont it find it distracting and pretty bright in a dark room while watching a movie.

I made a page with white background and found it pretty bright in a dark room, hence took it off and went back to the dark theme.

#292 ·
@holyindian

The idea of ​​my remote is that I am going to use it around the clock to control everything in the whole apartment. I consider a darker theme more difficult to see when there is sunshine. Although a darker version would have been preferable in the evening.

I did not experience the light as huge problem though. What one could do is to use a darker layout when using the HTPC and TV sections. Alternatively, add a night mode button in the layout changing to a darker theme throughout.

You got me thinking a step further, thanks! What would prevent me from doing this is if you can not have an unlimited amount of panels in a handset. Not sure if there is any limitation on the panels.

The ultimate solution would have been if you could get the device to detect when it is dark enough to switch to the dark version's panels. But this, I suspect, is not doable(?).

#294 ·
Exactly, but it will not be as cool as it had been if the unit itself felt the brightness of the room ang changed mode after that.

If you can have an unlimited number of panels in a handset, I will put a button on the home menu, so you can easily switch to the "dark mode" manually and do an darker layout for the "dark mode".

Is there anyone who knows if there is a limit on how many panels you can have in a handset? In my case we are talking about around 32 + 32 panels. I know there is a limit on 10 pages per panel so there should be a limit on panels aswell.

#295 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stennajay  /t/1322187/irule-remote-picture-thread/270#post_23800997

Exactly, but it will not be as cool as it had been if the unit itself felt the brightness of the room ang changed mode after that.

If you can have an unlimited number of panels in a handset, I will put a button on the home menu, so you can easily switch to the "dark mode" manually and do an darker layout for the "dark mode".

Is there anyone who knows if there is a limit on how many panels you can have in a handset? In my case we are talking about around 32 + 32 panels. I know there is a limit on 10 pages per panel so there should be a limit on panels aswell.

stennajay,

How do create what looks to be pop up windows in your setup? Looks like some small layers are on too of others based on a selection, is that the case?

#296 ·
I do my layouts in illustrator and then export them throgh photoshop to .png. Then i import the picture as a background and put transparent buttons on i in iRule. It works the way you describe.

I have an main background at first. On the power button i put an link button to a new panel. In that panel i import the layout with a black transparent box over the things "behind" the pop up. The whole black arean is a link back to main and on the buttons i have command buttons. It works and looks exactely lika popup windows.

#297 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stennajay  /t/1322187/irule-remote-picture-thread/270#post_23801379

I do my layouts in illustrator and then export them throgh photoshop to .png. Then i import the picture as a background and put transparent buttons on i in iRule. It works the way you describe.

I have an main background at first. On the power button i put an link button to a new panel. In that panel i import the layout with a black transparent box over the things "behind" the pop up. The whole black arean is a link back to main and on the buttons i have command buttons. It works and looks exactely lika popup windows.

Could you elaborate on this I'm having trouble following your explanation of how you're creating what look like popups.

Thanks.

#298 ·
Ok, since I se a limitation in the grid in iRule I´ve done my whole layout as a background instead of importing single bottons into the panels. That make it possible to place all buttons in a more

satisfying way in my opinion even if that means that my transparent links and buttons dosent fit perfect over my layout in iRule. In my world the choice stands between perfect design / 99% functionality or boring standard design and 100% function.

At fist I make the "home" layouts for the things I want to do, HTPC, Tv, Lights etc... If on a layout we have a power button that i want to have a "popup" connected to, I do as following.

When I´m done with my home layout I´m making an exact copy of that one and take a transparent box over the part of the home layout i want dimmed out and adding a new menu infront of the dimmed area.

In iRule i then import the home layout as a backgorund in page 1. Over the power button Im putting a transparent link botton that links me to page 2.

On page 2 I´m importing my dimmed out version with the popup effect as a background layer. In panel 2 i then make all the dimmed out area as transparent link buttons that links back to panel 2. Done!

In some cases I get a sliding effect between the two panels but in most cases it looks like a popup window I dont know the reason tho...

For example: in my HTPC Living Room panel i have the following pages, HTPC home, HTPCPower, HTPCMore, ButkickerLivingRoom, HTPCKeyboard, Sabnzb (url page), CouchPotatoe (url page) its much work but worth it.

Sorry for the bad english but its not my native language and I didnt attend much in school

#300 ·
I seriously hate IRule builder...why can't they make it more user friendly

Found out how to import images...now how do I resize them...you would think this would be easy

#301 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M  /t/1322187/irule-remote-picture-thread/270#post_23869717

I seriously hate IRule builder...why can't they make it more user friendly

Found out how to import images...now how do I resize them...you would think this would be easy

Your imported images are too large. Make them the right size before importing them.

#302 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj  /t/1322187/irule-remote-picture-thread/300#post_23870267

Your imported images are too large. Make them the right size before importing them.

I'm importing from other users.

Looks like everything I import is too small and not a lot of users utilize the Retina Ipad image size

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.