post #61 of 364 Old 06-30-2011, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Cubed View Post

Well, that is what I did, downloaded those irl files from the download pages of iRule, but I don't know how to use them?

Not the .irl files (which are complete interfaces that only make sense to iRule), scroll down further on the downloads page and you'll find the default buttons (a collection of .png files that you can work with individually).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 364 Old 07-01-2011, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ordered an IPAD to specifically use as a remote. I am in Iraq for the next few months (6) and I have alot of free time on my hands. Can I download Irule and get the layout/buttons all done while I am here and program it when I get home?
post #63 of 364 Old 07-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfondell View Post

I ordered an IPAD to specifically use as a remote. I am in Iraq for the next few months (6) and I have alot of free time on my hands. Can I download Irule and get the layout/buttons all done while I am here and program it when I get home?

You should be able to, as long as you can reach the builder URL from where you are.

Ed Lee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #64 of 364 Old 09-04-2011, 03:56 PM

Bump! Looking for more ideas -- especially now that 2 way feedback is out!

-Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #65 of 364 Old 09-04-2011, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Good point about feedback, because a lot of the backgrounds already created have no place to display it. For example, Steve Goff's "Streamlined iPhone Backgrounds" look great, but I want space to show receiver volume (in a nice large font) and movie elapsed time.
post #66 of 364 Old 09-05-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

good point about feedback, because a lot of the backgrounds already created have no place to display it. For example, steve goff's "streamlined iphone backgrounds" look great, but i want space to show receiver volume (in a nice large font) and movie elapsed time.

+1

-Matt

post #67 of 364 Old 09-05-2011, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just wish more of these talented guys would share pictures of their panels on this thread. I have learned a lot from just following the lead of guys with much more experience than me.

post #68 of 364 Old 09-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Here are a couple of my in progress panels. The first is my main activity panel and the second is my htpc panel which has feedback enabled for my pioneer avr. As you can see I made the feedback appear almost exactly as it would on my actual avr. It shows the input source, audio mode, and volume! Sorry for the orientation of the screen shots, am using my iPad to send this and don't know how to edit the rotation on it.
LL
LL

post #69 of 364 Old 09-05-2011, 08:07 PM

Nice and clean....thanks.....the stainless buttons are nice too. I have been watching your theater build too. you really are doing an awesome job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezit73 View Post

Here are a couple of my in progress panels. The first is my main activity panel and the second is my htpc panel which has feedback enabled for my pioneer avr. As you can see I made the feedback appear almost exactly as it would on my actual avr. It shows the input source, audio mode, and volume! Sorry for the orientation of the screen shots, am using my iPad to send this and don't know how to edit the rotation on it.

post #70 of 364 Old 09-07-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:

Wow -- that is fantastic! Please do share how you did it. I have a Pio Elite VSX-01 and Epson 8500ub both on rs-232 and would love something like that!

-Matt

post #71 of 364 Old 09-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

IGO2XS and Spartan94 Thanks for the compliments!!

Spartan,

I am not sure if you know this but you can have multiple background layers. The trick is to drag your first background in and change its row/column size in irule to only 1x1, All this does is specify how many rows/columns the image takes up even though the actual image size remains untouched. This way you can drag a second image in and since all but one square is taken up you will be able to place it as well, repeat changing its size to 1x1.

So I found an image of the pioneer AVR and re-sized it in photoshop and then added it as a background layer on my panel. I then setup the feedbacks and dragged them into place over the image of the avr, sized them and choose orange for the colors!!

The preset volumes are just silver buttons dragged into place with labels placed over them.

Hope this helps.

post #72 of 364 Old 09-08-2011, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The preset volumes are just silver buttons dragged into place with labels placed over them.
I noticed those but for some reason I always thought you couldn't put labels over buttons, even though it would be very useful. I still can't drag a label on top of a button (not sure if there's a way), but I finally realized you can just manually change the row/column number of a label to the same position as a button, and it will overlay properly.

I've seen several people asking how to label blank buttons, and the answer at the time was that you can't and you should add text to a blank button image in Photoshop, then import that as a new button. Much easier just to overlay a label on a blank button. I'll be using that a lot now.
post #73 of 364 Old 09-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

I guess just to clarify the label over a button setup...what I did specifically was to drag the image (in this case the stainless steel circle) onto the panel in the background layer...I then added the label on the foreground layer over the button image and assigned the command to the label.

post #74 of 364 Old 09-08-2011, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess just to clarify the label over a button setup...what I did specifically was to drag the image (in this case the stainless steel circle) onto the panel in the background layer...I then added the label on the foreground layer over the button image and assigned the command to the label.

That sounds like the best way to do it. But even with the button in the forground you can overlay the label as long as you type its row/column position. Then you could have commands on the button and commands on the overlayed label, in which case I don't know if they all get executed and in which order!
post #75 of 364 Old 09-08-2011, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I'll have to try this, sounds great as I don't have photoshop. I don't know if it matters, but does the label or the button get the command. Or, doesn't it matter?
post #76 of 364 Old 09-08-2011, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekkoville View Post

I'll have to try this, sounds great as I don't have photoshop. I don't know if it matters, but does the label or the button get the command. Or, doesn't it matter?

Ekko, the command should go on the label. When I say button what you really are doing is putting the image that you would like to use as the button with the label over it in the background layer.

So select background layer and drag your background on then change its cell size to one by one. Then drag over the image of the "button" you would like to use. Now change to all layers and add your label over the "button"you and assign the commands to the label.

post #77 of 364 Old 09-08-2011, 11:26 AM

I can't seem to find the Stainless iPad source buttons on the iRule site. Anyone have the blank button(s) in a .png?

Disregard...I re-read the earlier posts. Thanks!
post #78 of 364 Old 09-08-2011, 08:29 PM

Ok, this is going to be a time vacuum. The [All Off] button doesn't show up in the builder. I guess I moved it to a invalid location. It won't let me change the row or column. I keep getting a "Invalid Position..." error. hmmm.
LL
post #79 of 364 Old 09-19-2011, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm having some trouble with the backround inset that everyone likes to use....it does look very nice but how are you all incorporating it into a page?

Do you drag it in before you place any buttons?
Place all the buttons then drag the inset in?
Do you place it in the foreground or background?

Everytime I try to drag it...it inevitably overlays a button then the entire inset becomes the button it overlays.

Thanks..

Nabs17
post #80 of 364 Old 09-19-2011, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post

I'm having some trouble with the backround inset that everyone likes to use....it does look very nice but how are you all incorporating it into a page?

Do you drag it in before you place any buttons?
Place all the buttons then drag the inset in?
Do you place it in the foreground or background?

Everytime I try to drag it...it inevitably overlays a button then the entire inset becomes the button it overlays.

Thanks..

Nabs,

Follow these steps...

Select the background layer

Drag your main background image in place, then manually edit it's properties using the left bottom window pane in the builder, set the size to one cell by one cell, then make sure it's position is row one column one.

Now this will allow you to drag another background image in place as long as you don't try to place it in row one column one...

So drag your next layer, in this case the inset onto your background layer and position it as desired.. If you again modify this ones properties to only be a size of one cell by one cell then you will leave room to drag on more layers to suit.

If you have not realized it already changing the cell size only affects how many cells the image uses but not the actual size of the image...so the image is not resized if you change the cell size.

post #81 of 364 Old 09-19-2011, 05:29 PM

Yes, the key is to be in the [BACKGROUND] tab. I have 6-8 'backgrounds' on some of my pages. Once placed, they (background images) can be moved in the [ALL LAYERS] tab.
LL
LL
post #82 of 364 Old 09-19-2011, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Nabs,

Follow these steps...

Select the background layer

Drag your main background image in place, then manually edit it's properties using the left bottom window pane in the builder, set the size to one cell by one cell, then make sure it's position is row one column one.

Now this will allow you to drag another background image in place as long as you don't try to place it in row one column one...

So drag your next layer, in this case the inset onto your background layer and position it as desired.. If you again modify this ones properties to only be a size of one cell by one cell then you will leave room to drag on more layers to suit.

If you have not realized it already changing the cell size only affects how many cells the image uses but not the actual size of the image...so the image is not resized if you change the cell size.

Thanks for the help here. Bentson as well.

I never knew I could play with layers like this and I've learned something new...now I'm going to play around with this and see what I can do.

Nabs17
post #83 of 364 Old 09-20-2011, 02:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Hi All. Newbie here. Just bought an ipad and saw this irule apps...
My question is, will irule still works if the internet goes down? My understanding is that I need to connect to the internet when it is syncing. However, once it is done syncing, as long as my LAN is working, I should still be able to control all my equipment (provided they are either RS232 or IR). Is this correct? i.e. I do not need WAN access, right? I sometimes had Comcast modem issue, and so it would suck if I need to rely on this to turn on my TV or can't change channel if my internet goes down
post #84 of 364 Old 09-20-2011, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

Hi All. Newbie here. Just bought an ipad and saw this irule apps...
My question is, will irule still works if the internet goes down? My understanding is that I need to connect to the internet when it is syncing. However, once it is done syncing, as long as my LAN is working, I should still be able to control all my equipment (provided they are either RS232 or IR). Is this correct? i.e. I do not need WAN access, right? I sometimes had Comcast modem issue, and so it would suck if I need to rely on this to turn on my TV or can't change channel if my internet goes down

As long as you can maintain connection to your local network, it doesn't matter if your internet goes down, you will still be able to use your remote. Unless, as you said, you need to sync.
post #85 of 364 Old 09-20-2011, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Thanks!
BTW, another question. Since ipad is not multi-task, if say I launch irule, get into the watchTV activities (i.e. turn on my TV, receiver, vp etc)... then I use my ipad to do some other thing (like my kid wants to play angry bird ). When I went back to irule, do they "remember" my settings? (i.e. I already power-on the TV, receiver, vp?). In general, do people add the power-on settings to their entrance setting?
post #86 of 364 Old 09-20-2011, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

Since ipad is not multi-task, if say I launch irule, get into the watchTV activities (i.e. turn on my TV, receiver, vp etc)... then I use my ipad to do some other thing (like my kid wants to play angry bird ). When I went back to irule, do they "remember" my settings? (i.e. I already power-on the TV, receiver, vp?).

The iPad does support multi-tasking, so when you push the home button to leave iRule you are not actually closing the application, it's still running in the background. After you finish with Angry Birds and run iRule again, you will be exactly where you left off (same screen).

In fact it's more of a problem when you really do want to close iRule and start again from scratch, because Apple have made it quite difficult to actually close an application when you want to!
post #87 of 364 Old 09-22-2011, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I am wanting to make my own backgrounds. What resolution or size does the background have to be in order to work with an Ipad? Thanks

Also everyone's backgrounds and layouts look great. Thanks for the inspiration and ideas!

Chad
post #88 of 364 Old 09-22-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcj7 View Post

I am wanting to make my own backgrounds. What resolution or size does the background have to be in order to work with an Ipad? Thanks

Also everyone's backgrounds and layouts look great. Thanks for the inspiration and ideas!

Chad

1024 x 684 for iPad

http://www.iruleathome.com/tutorials...und-image.html
(tutorial for iPod but essentially the same steps)

Don't forget to change the [Properties] to [ 1 ] for row, column, width & height. That way you can stack multiple background images.

See: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post20972346 for an example.
post #89 of 364 Old 09-25-2011, 09:57 AM

A few panels for my wife & kid.

(hope I didn't screw up the iPad attachments)
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #90 of 364 Old 09-27-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentson View Post

I can't seem to find the Stainless iPad source buttons on the iRule site. Anyone have the blank button(s) in a .png?

Disregard...I re-read the earlier posts. Thanks!

I've re-read and can't work out where to get the blank stainless in .png so that it has the right transparency etc. Can you explain how to get them?
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Irule Llc , Irule

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page