1Likes

post #181 of 362 Old 09-07-2012, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by heffneil View Post

Nice screen setup! I use that same directv control from JClam and I like it a lot. I use it even with SageTV. A buddy of mine modified some of the buttons for sage specific stuff so I am happy as a clam (had to use that pun!)

Neil

I know this post is a little old, but I'm having trouble getting irule to work with SageTV. I set up JRiver as an HTTP gateway just fine, but I'm not able to figure out how to work with Sage. I'm having trouble finding answers to this. Can you help guide me through this? I have SageTV V7. I have the Jetty web service plugin installed. I've also changed the username and password for this. I'm using port 8080. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 362 Old 09-07-2012, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes there is a file I believe in the sage.properties that has a port number associated for each I'd for each client/extender. You setup a network device to work with your sage server on that port. I will check tomorrow for the actual commands but I think they are in the database. Let me know if that helps. Good luck. It will be worth the trouble I promise!
post #183 of 362 Old 09-08-2012, 12:52 AM

If you are interested, I went through and learned all the ir commands for my sage clients. As soon as I confirm that they all work, I am going to upload the device. I read that even when you figure out how to control it via ip you will experience a lag. So far as what I have seen the ir commands has no lag. I use an itach ip2ir device.
post #184 of 362 Old 09-08-2012, 08:05 AM

I also use sage and irule together. Instead if ir, I installed a sagetcp extension which allows irule to talk directly to my sage server, extender or client. If you'd like more info, lemme know and I'll see if I can dig up what I used.
post #185 of 362 Old 09-08-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:

Yes there is a file I believe in the sage.properties that has a port number associated for each I'd for each client/extender. You setup a network device to work with your sage server on that port. I will check tomorrow for the actual commands but I think they are in the database. Let me know if that helps. Good luck. It will be worth the trouble I promise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVAddikt View Post

If you are interested, I went through and learned all the ir commands for my sage clients. As soon as I confirm that they all work, I am going to upload the device. I read that even when you figure out how to control it via ip you will experience a lag. So far as what I have seen the ir commands has no lag. I use an itach ip2ir device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan94 View Post

I also use sage and irule together. Instead if ir, I installed a sagetcp extension which allows irule to talk directly to my sage server, extender or client. If you'd like more info, lemme know and I'll see if I can dig up what I used.

Guys - Thanks for responding. I know I'm close. With a bit of guidance from you guys I'll figure be able to get this working. By the way I'm using the ipad to do this. I have the Jetty Web Service and the SageTCPserver installed as plugins on my HTPC, I'm not sure if I need to get rid of one of those or it doesn't matter because they're separate from each other. I'm having trouble figuring out how to set up the ipad as the external device to talk to the Sage server. Is it as simple as using the ip address:port#? I've looked at the setup for Jetty and SageTCP, but Admittedly I don't enough about how those work. I appreciate the help guys.

Phil
post #186 of 362 Old 09-08-2012, 03:57 PM

Anyone done any 2 way communication with like XBMC or an HTPC, or maybe DirecTV to show TV show information and stuff on the iRule screen?

Actually what I'd really like is XBMC to be able to send back a song list or something so I don't have to turn my projector on to play music lol.
post #187 of 362 Old 09-11-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pprather View Post

Guys - Thanks for responding. I know I'm close. With a bit of guidance from you guys I'll figure be able to get this working. By the way I'm using the ipad to do this. I have the Jetty Web Service and the SageTCPserver installed as plugins on my HTPC, I'm not sure if I need to get rid of one of those or it doesn't matter because they're separate from each other. I'm having trouble figuring out how to set up the ipad as the external device to talk to the Sage server. Is it as simple as using the ip address:port#? I've looked at the setup for Jetty and SageTCP, but Admittedly I don't enough about how those work. I appreciate the help guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan94 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVAddikt View Post

Quote:

I ended up throwing in the towel on this. I ended up going with MCE controller and setting up keyboard shortcuts. It works great. Not exactly what I wanted, but it works great none the less.

Phil
post #188 of 362 Old 09-13-2012, 04:45 PM

Ok, you guys that are editing backgrounds and what not, how do you make sure they line up right with the buttons when doing the embossed area's and boxes and what not?
post #189 of 362 Old 10-15-2012, 02:44 PM

Newbie questions.

I just finished a few basic iPhone panels and they work great.

If you create a home page and add for example a button for "Blu Ray", does it take you to a blu-ray page?

Is the homepage a starting point for all your panels? Or is it incorporated into one big panel with many pages?

Also, is there anyway to increase the size of buttons? They are failry small =on an iPhone.
post #190 of 362 Old 10-19-2012, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Spent a few hours a week or two ago doing some basic planning and design for my "ultimate remote". It needs some serious tweaking (layout of a few things are a bit wonky, needs more contrast in certain areas etc), but I'm wondering if iRule would ever be able to pull off something like this?

The Big Bay Home Theater Build Thread
My personal theater build on Kempenfelt Bay, Barrie Ontario Canada
post #191 of 362 Old 10-19-2012, 07:47 PM

Liked: 12
Yep
post #192 of 362 Old 10-21-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Goff View Post

You all have probably seen my Steampunk collection of backgrounds for the iPhone and iPad, represented by these examples:

{snip}

Steve, I really like your designs. I have just started to use iRule and so far I think it is great, if it only wasn't for the browser based design interface which is already causing me to pull my hair out in frustration.

I have downloaded the retina display backgrounds you have shared and wanted to use them for my iPhone 4. However it appears to be impossible to align the black gloss buttons (which seem to be the ones you have used) with your backgrounds. The web interface simply does not allow that level of precision.

The alternative would appear to be to use a graphics program to add the buttons to the background and then put transparent buttons on the foreground layer. But that meens I have to have the backgrounds in an editable format and I cannot save them in the iRule Builder. Have you posted them for download somewhere? Or is there a way to align the buttons that I have overlooked?

Thanks
post #193 of 362 Old 10-24-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Change of direction.

My family wanted to see something brighter and less elaborate so I decided to build a new design based on some great groundwork by a local guy, Marcus (known as "kalvhund" on the minhembio.com forum - link to his post). 

Most of the shared designs I found have a dark theme, so I thought I'd post a couple of screen shots just to show what my layout look like. Note ALL credit goes to Marcus for the creation of this theme - I have merely taken his originals and re-sized to my Android tablet/phone formats plus added a few images I found on my own.

If anyone is interested, I can ask him if he is willing to share.

Note this runs on a 10.1" Samsung GalaxyTab I have mounted on the wall, hence the large format. Basically the tablet controls will be used when entering the room to power up the system and for basic playback controls. When seated, we will use various phones or a 7" GalaxyTab, the latter dedicated as a remote. 

Home screen - user selects if TV or projector display is desired, or audio only:

In this case, selecting "TV" brings up a source selection screen:

and the Media Center screen looks like this:

post #194 of 362 Old 10-30-2012, 01:08 AM

Definitely a newbie here compared to you guys have a few remotes done but was wondering if there are anymore libraries to import from the irule ones seem so limited. Is there a way to or is anyone willing to help me with there photoshop skills it would be greatly appreciated.
post #195 of 362 Old 11-25-2012, 10:53 PM

post #196 of 362 Old 12-08-2012, 11:21 PM

After finding and looking through this thread I have to say I am extremely impressed by the talent of the people who have posted pics of their iRule panels. They are gorgeous and really creative. I am also impressed by the generosity of people who put so much work into these images and then allow people to use them for their own systems. It is just nice to see.

I just purchased the iRule builder license last week and have been climbing the steep learning curve of the web based builder. I have a couple of questions related to building the interface that I simply cannot find an answer to and hope someone can help me out.

1.) I have read that you should be able to drag an image from the image browser library list onto my desktop so that I can modify them in photoshop. I have spent a couple of hours trying everything I can think of to make this work and I haven't had any success. I don't know if this capability has been taken away or what. I have to click the eye icon in the image library browser to see the image and that window will not let me drag it anywhere.

2.) With all of these great panels it seems the buttons are placed in extremely precise ways that it doesn't seem possible to place the buttons in the iRule builder and have them stay in the correct position. Is it just an accepted fact that you need to make the visible buttons part of the background image and then just use 100% transparent buttons placed on top of the visible buttons?

3.) How in the heck do I get an .irl file into the iRule builder?

Thanks in advance

Troy

Edit: I have found out how to get the images in the image library onto my desktop so that I can modify them in photoshop so disregard #1.
post #197 of 362 Old 12-09-2012, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by flboy369 View Post

After finding and looking through this thread I have to say I am extremely impressed by the talent of the people who have posted pics of their iRule panels. They are gorgeous and really creative. I am also impressed by the generosity of people who put so much work into these images and then allow people to use them for their own systems. It is just nice to see.
I just purchased the iRule builder license last week and have been climbing the steep learning curve of the web based builder. I have a couple of questions related to building the interface that I simply cannot find an answer to and hope someone can help me out.
1.) I have read that you should be able to drag an image from the image browser library list onto my desktop so that I can modify them in photoshop. I have spent a couple of hours trying everything I can think of to make this work and I haven't had any success. I don't know if this capability has been taken away or what. I have to click the eye icon in the image library browser to see the image and that window will not let me drag it anywhere.
2.) With all of these great panels it seems the buttons are placed in extremely precise ways that it doesn't seem possible to place the buttons in the iRule builder and have them stay in the correct position. Is it just an accepted fact that you need to make the visible buttons part of the background image and then just use 100% transparent buttons placed on top of the visible buttons?
3.) How in the heck do I get an .irl file into the iRule builder?
Thanks in advance
Troy
Edit: I have found out how to get the images in the image library onto my desktop so that I can modify them in photoshop so disregard #1.
Hi Troy, welcome to AVS.
Regarding issue #2, yes, if you absolutely must have exact image/button placement and the default grid/button/link height and width will not work, it would be best to create these graphics and place them on the background image. Hint: Before dragging any graphic onto your background image make sure your background layer has a height and width of 1 X 1.
I have found that if I play with the graphic's cell height and width and experiment with the row and column placement, I can get near exact placement of a graphic/button. If it has to be exact, and I just can't get there, I use a graphic on the background layer with transparent buttons placed on top. With that, I will tell you that I rarely resort to that in my own UI.
If you are interested in placing graphics around your buttons, such as bezels, rings, boxes, lines, insets, etc. I would start by placing the buttons where you want them on a page and then get a screen capture of that page so that it can be edited in Photoshop. You now know exactly where to place the graphics on your background.
Hope this helps.
post #198 of 362 Old 12-09-2012, 09:49 AM

Thanks for the info! That does help out alot. The idea about putting the buttons and then taking a screen shot is great. That was an idea I wouldn't have come up with. Hopefully I will have a couple of panels to post here in a few weeks. Thanks for the help.
post #199 of 362 Old 12-10-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Hey guys,

I was wanting to use a nice looking white background for iPhone5/iPad mini and some nice looking white navigation/unlabeled buttons/Pandora/DirecTv type buttons, does anyone have a source for nice looking white backgrounds? I've searched the user libraries and for some reason I'm not finding them, maybe because they're white?
post #200 of 362 Old 12-10-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark P View Post

Hey guys,

I was wanting to use a nice looking white background for iPhone5/iPad mini and some nice looking white navigation/unlabeled buttons/Pandora/DirecTv type buttons, does anyone have a source for nice looking white backgrounds? I've searched the user libraries and for some reason I'm not finding them, maybe because they're white?

I posted some screenshots of my grayish/white panels in the other thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1351981/irule/7170#post_22585265

Maybe they are something like what you are looking for?

Send me a PM if you would like to have the graphics files.
Sent from my Xperia Arc S using Tapatalk 2
post #201 of 362 Old 12-12-2012, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post

Steve, I really like your designs. I have just started to use iRule and so far I think it is great, if it only wasn't for the browser based design interface which is already causing me to pull my hair out in frustration.
I have downloaded the retina display backgrounds you have shared and wanted to use them for my iPhone 4. However it appears to be impossible to align the black gloss buttons (which seem to be the ones you have used) with your backgrounds. The web interface simply does not allow that level of precision.
The alternative would appear to be to use a graphics program to add the buttons to the background and then put transparent buttons on the foreground layer. But that meens I have to have the backgrounds in an editable format and I cannot save them in the iRule Builder. Have you posted them for download somewhere? Or is there a way to align the buttons that I have overlooked?
Thanks
I'm sorry I didn't see this question sooner. You should have no problem lining up the buttons and the background, so long as you follow my suggestion in several posts in the main iRule thread about resizing and positioning the buttons. In short, you can change how many cells a button takes up, and in so doing correctly center the buttons over the background. I've explained this in detail in earlier posts.

Steve Goff
post #202 of 362 Old 12-13-2012, 03:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I'm sorry I didn't see this question sooner. You should have no problem lining up the buttons and the background, so long as you follow my suggestion in several posts in the main iRule thread about resizing and positioning the buttons. In short, you can change how many cells a button takes up, and in so doing correctly center the buttons over the background. I've explained this in detail in earlier posts.
Steve, don't forget, his background grid needs to be the same as yours, also.smile.gif
post #203 of 362 Old 12-13-2012, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I'm trying to update my iPhone 5's to their new resolutions and doing the Brushed metal buttons, they left out their BLANK source/round/ Green-Red Power buttons Does anyone know where to find other Brushed metal buttons that show up as the proper size on the iPhone 5 generated templates?
post #204 of 362 Old 12-13-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner View Post

Steve, don't forget, his background grid needs to be the same as yours, also.smile.gif
Yes, he needs to use the same grid, which I discuss in those other posts, and to make the buttons the same size. I can't search the other thread right now, but I know the information is there.

Steve Goff
post #205 of 362 Old 12-13-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner View Post

Yes, he needs to use the same grid, which I discuss in those other posts, and to make the buttons the same size. I can't search the other thread right now, but I know the information is there.

Guys, I figured it out a while ago. Very fiddly but it does work.

In my panels I first had a "click wheel" created by layering transparent buttons over graphics inserted into the background, but I found iRule will distort the background graphics when my "hide the system bar" app is active because the usable display area becomes larger. iRule just stretches the background to fit the display, which is fine for a solid color background but if there is button graphics added to the background they get stretched too even though they are separate from the background itself.

So now I need to recreate the cursor pad as actual buttons in the foreground and that is proving to be near impossible...

Sent from my Xperia Arc S using Tapatalk 2
post #206 of 362 Old 12-13-2012, 11:31 AM

Liked: 11
So given that the original thread was about screenshots I thought I'd share some of mine. Here's a customization of the Brushed Metal. I have my TV and projector on the home page - that way I don't have to duplicate every page for whatever display device is being used.

Also, for Sunday ticket, when I'm feeling lazy I can just choose whichever team from the AFC North that I feel like watching....

I just update it when the channel numbers come out each week.

I like the latest update with drawers a lot! - making use of those on the volume panel.

This works great with the iPad mini - that is why some of the buttons are larger.

-Mark

Eating humble pie....
post #207 of 362 Old 12-13-2012, 04:44 PM

^Mark, how did you resize the inset? I've tried in Gimp to resize it but it leaves a black background and not transparent.
post #208 of 362 Old 12-13-2012, 06:32 PM

There were a few things I was waiting for iRule to come up with but they just haven't come. So I've been developing my own from the ground up. Here's my video demo.

Check out the drag and drop channel changing. Touch controls, toggling images and animations.

http://cantrellsmediasystems.com/demo_vid.html
post #209 of 362 Old 12-14-2012, 06:13 AM

@ekkoville, I just exported the full size inset from the Browse Images page to a PNG in the normal way (CTRL+Drag in Chrome). Then I used the simple Paint.Net application to open that PNG which preserved the transparency settings. It was then a matter of resizing the image until I found the dimensions I was looking for. Re-save that as a PNG and import into the builder.

Eating humble pie....
post #210 of 362 Old 12-14-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNPalmer View Post

Darth B,

How did you map multiple power commands to a single button in the iRule Builer interface?

Can't figure out how to do that! Wouldn't mind a home panel power on/off such as yours that turns on/off all 3 components.
You simply drag and drop more than one command onto a button. If need be you can add delays between commands.

Steve Goff
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Irule Llc , Irule

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page