Harmony 880 as RF??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-22-2011, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a newbie so please bear with me. I have an 880 but am moving my components into a closet about 10' from my TV when we install a new surround sound system next month. Is there a way to keep this remote and use IR extenders/blasters to create a system where this remote will control my AVR, BluRay, DirecTV HD-DVR and Wii (which will be in my closet) as well as the TV. Or do I need a new RF remote?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-22-2011, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 161
You can't use the 880 as an RF remote. You can use an IR extender and keep the 880. Or do as you mentioned and buy an RF remote and sell the 880.

Also, read my FAQ sticky thread for more info about IR/RF extenders. Mainly the Line-of-sight issues section.

post #3 of 4 Old 03-23-2011, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bryan,
I did read the sticky but am confused.

The components will not be in line of sight. As such, is it better to keep the 880 and go with IR extenders or just go to the RF Logitech 990? Which am I less likely to have issues with?

I think, if I understand all of this, with the IR extenders, I need to place the "base" in line of sight with the TV and then hard wire the extenders in line of sight to each component. And with the RF, all the line of sight issues are completely moot. Am I correct?

Finally, do I need to use Harmony IR extenders with the 880 or can I use other brands, such as the monoprice one?

Thanks.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-23-2011, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 161
You can use any IR extender with any IR remote. For RF you need an RF extender that is matched to the RF remote. The Harmony 890 and 900 both ship with their RF extender in the same box. For the Harmony 1000 and 1100 you need to buy an RF extender, which is the same one as sold with the 890.

With an IR extender you have an IR receiver that you have to have line-of-sight to your remote. The IR receiver is typically on a cable and can be routed around and extended depending on your need. Using the Harmony IR extender as an example the IR receiver is the thing on the right with the flat front face.

With an RF extender you get the added benefit of not having to point the remote and not needing to route an IR receiver.

I use a RF solution of a URC MX-980 remote with a MRF-350 extender. I won't be going back to IR.

Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page