How to assign Denon video source input to comcast remote? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 03-25-2011, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a silver comcast DVR remote (red button) and have the volume and power button all working fine on it with my Denon 1611. What I need to figure out (to keep the wife happy) is how to assign the "source select" button of the Denon remote to a button on the comcast remote. That way we really wont need to use the denon remote.

I am not familiar with reprogramming things but I am hoping someone knows an easy way to do it.

Please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 03-26-2011, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Denon receivers use 2 IR protocols, Sharp and Kaseikyo. As you've seen the Comcast remote carries the Sharp protocol and that covers the more common functions, but it doesn't have the Denon-K version of the Kaseikyo protocol. Panasonic also uses Kaseikyo format, but part of the protocol is a vendor ID number, and Denon has a different ID from Panasonic.
Actually, I don't know of any pre-programmed remote which can shoot Kaseikyo with the Denon ID numbers. Anyway, Source Select is Denon-K device 4.1, function 693.

The only way I know to make a Comcast remote send this signal is to program it with a JP1 interface cable.
post #3 of 27 Old 04-03-2011, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just out of curiosity, when you switch the Comcast remote to the "AUDIO" mode (or wherever the Denon code is stored), do the 0-9 numeric buttons issue input commands to the Denon? This is often the case when programming cable remotes to control AVRs.
post #4 of 27 Old 04-03-2011, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshepard View Post

Just out of curiosity, when you switch the Comcast remote to the "AUDIO" mode (or wherever the Denon code is stored), do the 0-9 numeric buttons issue input commands to the Denon? This is often the case when programming cable remotes to control AVRs.

My comcast remote doesn't have a "Audio" mode and I don't know how to access the stored code....
post #5 of 27 Old 04-03-2011, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 352
It DOES have an Audio mode which you access by pressing the AUX button. You obviously already have it programmed and use it regularly since volume and power are working. The other poster was just trying to tell you to try the number buttons to switch inputs, after pressing AUX of course. You won't be able to program "source select" like 3FingeredGlove said, but there are a few additional functions you could add if you wanted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 27 Old 04-03-2011, 08:16 PM

The setup code 1360 does have the digit keys mapped to issue input commands to the receiver.

Cyberdan3, do you actually want the ability to switch to a particular input rather than using Source Select?

The Comcast remote can send many of the discrete input signals.
post #7 of 27 Old 04-03-2011, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3FingeredGlove View Post

The setup code 1360 does have the digit keys mapped to issue input commands to the receiver.

Cyberdan3, do you actually want the ability to switch to a particular input rather than using Source Select?

The Comcast remote can send many of the discrete input signals.

When I push the numbers on the Comcast remote when in AUX mode, it acts kind if goofy. If i push #1, it changes audio to analog and I can't switch it back. 4,5, and 8 change to my wii, ps3, and radio. I can't get any numbers to work with my comcast dvr. Is there anyway to program the specific keys in the Comcast remote. I am just looking to push a button to pull up a "source select" menu or a button that cycles the sources.
post #8 of 27 Old 04-03-2011, 11:11 PM

I don't know of a way to cycle through the inputs, unless you buy a cable. However, you can program buttons individually so that the various inputs are selected. I doubt you have so very many.

Here are some 5 digit EFCs to assign to buttons. First you should just test the EFCs. That's easy to do. Make sure the remote is in AUX mode, then tap (don't hold) Setup, followed quickly by entering the 5 digit EFC. For example to switch to BD, tap Setup and enter 01897. When you enter the last digit (7), the remote should send the IR signal to the Denon, and it should switch to BD input.

Assuming the tests work OK, pick buttons for each needed input. I'd probably use the A, B, and C buttons, if I were only using 3 inputs, or include the Page up and Down buttons to make a nice row of 5 buttons that each select an input.

To assign the EFCs to the buttons, be in AUX mode, and
1) Press Setup until 2 blinks
2) Enter 994 (2 blinks)
3) Tap Setup
4) Enter the 5 digit EFC (e.g. 01833 for SAT/CBL)
5) Tap the button to assign to (e.g. A)
The remote should blink twice to indicate it understood the assignment.

See the link to the Wiki in mdavej's signature to see more extensive instructions on manually programming the remote.
Function EFC
TUNER 01945
SAT/CBL 01833
TV 01961
BD 01897
V. AUX 01801
VIDEO SELECT 01825
ANALOG 01793
ON SCREEN 01985
DVD 02045
STANDARD 01821
INPUT MODE 33879
post #9 of 27 Old 04-04-2011, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3FingeredGlove View Post

I don't know of a way to cycle through the inputs, unless you buy a cable. However, you can program buttons individually so that the various inputs are selected. I doubt you have so very many.

Here are some 5 digit EFCs to assign to buttons. First you should just test the EFCs. That's easy to do. Make sure the remote is in AUX mode, then tap (don't hold) Setup, followed quickly by entering the 5 digit EFC. For example to switch to BD, tap Setup and enter 01897. When you enter the last digit (7), the remote should send the IR signal to the Denon, and it should switch to BD input.

Assuming the tests work OK, pick buttons for each needed input. I'd probably use the A, B, and C buttons, if I were only using 3 inputs, or include the Page up and Down buttons to make a nice row of 5 buttons that each select an input.

2) Enter 994 (2 blinks)
3) Tap Setup

See the link to the Wiki in mdavej's signature to see more extensive instructions on manually programming the remote.
Function EFC
TUNER 01945
SAT/CBL 01833
TV 01961
BD 01897
V. AUX 01801
VIDEO SELECT 01825
ANALOG 01793
ON SCREEN 01985
DVD 02045
STANDARD 01821
INPUT MODE 33879

Awesome. I was able to set up the remote to be able to just push A B or C for my main inputs!! This helped so much. The only thing that would make it better is if I could lock the A B C selections to work for the receiver no matter which input on the remote I am in. I was able to lock the volume to the receiver but can I do it also for each of these inputs?
post #10 of 27 Old 04-04-2011, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

There are a couple of ways to do that. Since you only have 3 device modes (TV, AUX and CBL), you may as well just copy them to the TV and CBL modes: hold setup for 2 blinks, 994, press AUX, A, TV, A (2 blinks). Repeat using B and C. To copy them all to CBL mode, repeat everything but substitute the CBL button for the TV button.

You could also do it with global macros.

The best way would be with macros, but I'd put a lot more stuff in there. For example A would turn everything on AND select the proper inputs. Then I'd make a master power off macro to shut everything down.

post #11 of 27 Old 04-04-2011, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

There are a couple of ways to do that. Since you only have 3 device modes (TV, AUX and CBL), you may as well just copy them to the TV and CBL modes: hold setup for 2 blinks, 994, press AUX, A, TV, A (2 blinks). Repeat using B and C. To copy them all to CBL mode, repeat everything but substitute the CBL button for the TV button.

The best way would be with macros, but I'd put a lot more stuff in there. For example A would turn everything on AND select the proper inputs. Then I'd make a master power off macro to shut everything down.

If I was to make a macro set up to turn the tv, receiver, and source on all at once, what happens if my cable box was already on. In that case would it turn the cable box off or does it sense if it has power? I could see that being a hassle with my wife.
post #12 of 27 Old 04-04-2011, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

You're right. I'd leave the cable box out of it unless it has a discrete on command available which would never toggle back off. Satellite boxes have discrete on/off, but I haven't seen many cable boxes that do. I don't know if your TV has discrete on/off either, but many do these days. You'd need a JP1 cable to program power sensing for devices without discrete on/off.

post #13 of 27 Old 04-04-2011, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You're right. I'd leave the cable box out of it unless it has a discrete on command available which would never toggle back off. Satellite boxes have discrete on/off, but I haven't seen many cable boxes that do. I don't know if your TV has discrete on/off either, but many do these days. You'd need a JP1 cable to program power sensing for devices without discrete on/off.

In that case, what I have learned from you guys today is more than enough. Thanks so much for your help to both of you
post #14 of 27 Old 04-04-2011, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I am having a problem with locking the A B C buttons to the AUX input like you said. I followed those rules but all I get at the end is a solid red blink and it doesn't save anything.
post #15 of 27 Old 04-04-2011, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry about that. Apparently key copy doesn't work on this remote. But you can just use the codes like before. The first one would work like this: hold setup for 2 blinks, 994, AUX, tap setup then the five digit code you originally assigned to A, TV, A. So that assigns the A code from AUX mode to TV mode. Repeat for the others.

post #16 of 27 Old 04-04-2011, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sorry about that. Apparently key copy doesn't work on this remote. But you can just use the codes like before. The first one would work like this: hold setup for 2 blinks, 994, AUX, tap setup then the five digit code you originally assigned to A, TV, A. So that assigns the A code from AUX mode to TV mode. Repeat for the others.

You guys have been so much help. I can't thank you enough. This forum rocks
post #17 of 27 Old 12-16-2011, 08:40 PM

Thank you for this very informative post. I was just in the same exact boat as cyberdan (seeking WAF) and this thread solved all my problems. Bravo!
post #18 of 27 Old 02-24-2012, 05:58 PM

Your advice worked perfectly but the problem I have is...the volume still controls the tv volume. How can I change it to my Denon?

thanks
post #19 of 27 Old 02-24-2012, 06:21 PM

Easiest way is to use the feature called volume punch through.
2) Enter 993 (2 blinks)
3) Press AUX.

Now in either cable or TV mode, the volume +/- and Mute signals should be sent to the Denon.
post #20 of 27 Old 02-24-2012, 06:26 PM

You just made my wife very happy. thank you very much
post #21 of 27 Old 12-09-2012, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3FingeredGlove View Post

2) Enter 994 (2 blinks)

3) Tap Setup

Function EFC
TUNER 01945
SAT/CBL 01833
TV 01961
BD 01897
V. AUX 01801
VIDEO SELECT 01825
ANALOG 01793
ON SCREEN 01985
DVD 02045
STANDARD 01821
INPUT MODE 33879

Okay so I found these but it is missing game and network and USB/iPod and surround decoder switch(movie, music, game, and pure)
post #22 of 27 Old 12-09-2012, 10:00 AM

Input Game is 01929. Network and USB/Ipod inputs are commanded using the Denon-K IR protocol, which the Comcast can't send unless modified with a JP1.3 cable.
Surround:
Movie is 01171
Music is 01107
Game is 01235
Pure may be 01900
post #23 of 27 Old 12-09-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3FingeredGlove View Post

Input Game is 01929. Network and USB/Ipod inputs are commanded using the Denon-K IR protocol, which the Comcast can't send unless modified with a JP1.3 cable.
Surround:
Movie is 01171
Music is 01107
Game is 01235
Pure may be 01900

Thanks a lot man.
post #24 of 27 Old 01-24-2014, 05:26 PM

Just two additional tidbit questions:

1) What is the EFC code for assigning the Dock input mode?

2) How about if I want Volume control to be locked to AUX (my Denon AVR-1612), for both AUX and Cable, but I want volume control when in TV mode to still control the TV?

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE HELP YOU PROVIDE ON THIS FORUM, people like you make this world a nicer place to live in!

post #25 of 27 Old 01-25-2014, 12:26 PM

Dock input mode is commanded by sending a Denon-K (Kaseikyo) IR protocol. The Comcast remote isn't able to send this signal unless you use a JP1.3 cable ($8) to program it.

Follow the first 4 steps of the 993 instructions to set AUX as the VPT device, and then follow the second 5 steps to exclude TV from VPT. Use Style 1 instructions.
post #26 of 27 Old 01-25-2014, 12:34 PM

Wonderful! Your answer to my second question works perfectly.

Since my first question isn't immediately possible, can I instead make the TV/VCR button on my Comcast remote cycle through the Input options on the Denon receiver while in the remote's AUX mode?

post #27 of 27 Old 01-25-2014, 02:44 PM

Assuming you're using 31360 or 31104, maybe 33879 will work. It is labeled Input Mode.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Denon Avr 1611 7 1 Channel A V Home Theater Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page