global cache and irule questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-03-2011, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
lots of questions below. i appreciate all the help.

im looking to switch from a harmony one and move towards an irule setup.

i run an xbmc set up and will be recessing my new display on the wall. so i will have only one chance to run cable. right now i will be running 2x hdmi, optical, network, antenna and it seems IR emitter.

ive been doing global cache and i rule research and still have some questions. i apologize in advance if somethings been discussed and i missed it.

i have 6 devices right now to be controlled via IR (tv, receiver, xbmc pc, xbox 360, blu ray, dtv)

all items will be network hardwired.

thanks in advance!

GC questions:

1) which GC product is best for me itach ip2ir or gc-100-6. i think the 100-6 has features i dont need or really understand what they do.

2) each has 3 IR ports, its my understanding that I can run 6 or 12 devices off 3 IR ports as long as i have multiple emitters. is there anything special that needs to be done? or is it as simple as buying 2/3/4 head IR emitters? for some reason on amazon i can only find 3 and 6 head emitters.

2a) will there be any interference issues?

3) whats the significance of mono or stereo plugs and how do i know what i need?

4) are all IR emitters more or less that same? i will need to get a longer cable to run to the display. can i separate the cables apart if i need one to go to the tv and another to go another source? it looks like i can.

5) ive read about running IR to RF dongles or adapters and I assume this takes up one of the IR ports. what kind of range is on the RF? im sort of interested in the idea of light control through my ipad at a later date.

6) why does one use a blaster vs an emitter eye? i remember my tivo had those 2 arms (blaster i think) but i never knew why.

moral of the story is id like to use one of the 3 port IR solutions but if its necessary i would buy one of the more expensive ones.

i see potentially running 2x 4 eye IR and 1x RF if possible.

IRULE:

most of the time i will be within xbmc. currently i run the harmony one and have it mimic an MCE keyboard and run a lot of keyboard shortcuts to control xbmc.

i assume thats how it would most likely work with irule?

is there any integration between the xbmc remotes and irule? or if i wanted that stuff i would have to switch apps?

thanks again for all the help!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-04-2011, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Can you be more specific as to the devices you're trying to control? You mention that they will all be hardwired on your network. Does that mean that the TV, or AVR, or BD player are network capable? Do any of them have RS232 control ports?

I ask, because RS232 or network control is always preferable over IR, especially for components that will be concealed or permanently mounted. RS232 (serial) and network control are 2-way and much more robust (i.e., reliable) than IR.

I can't answer your questions regarding XBMC, other than to say that XBMC is a "gateway" in iRule parlance, meaning that iRule can control it directly over the network.

- Ken
post #3 of 4 Old 05-04-2011, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the response. there are still a number of factors tbd.

currently i have a denon 1610 which doesnt have rs232 connection i dont think any of my hardware has the connection.

when i mean hardwired i meant that the GC device and the PC will be hardwired. that is it.

you are right tho regarding the xbmc machine i should just control it over the network and i wont need to use IR.

one of the reasons why i want to switch is my av stuff may not have LOS or be semi obstructed in its new location.

even now with my harmony one i have to consciously point it and hold to make sure all the IR info is transmitted.

i thought with the stick on IR eyes i get very reliable IR transmission.

thanks!
post #4 of 4 Old 05-04-2011, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

im considering upgrading my receiver as my new space has a 5.1 set up and a 8 other speakers in ceiling.

with my current reciever i was basically going to splice wire to power the 8 extra speakers off the B output on my denon. i would only use the 8 extra speakers during a party or something where fidelity isnt too important. am i crazy to even contemplate that?

i was going to run some sort of A/B plus speaker switcher with volume control combination to allow me some additional control (like turning off the outdoor speakers).

now im looking at the yamaha RX-V867.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...ps/rx/rx-v867/

this has rs232 and ethernet connectivity.

how do i know if its 2 way or allows control? i assume i can program irule to interface with IR devices and this receiver?

thanks.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page