Home theater remote that controls PS3 and Xbox 360? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-09-2011, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What is the best home theater remote that controls a PS3 and Xbox 360? Does such a thing exist?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-10-2011, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 169
You first get an IR to Bluetooth converter for the PS3. Then you get the best home theater remote. If you can afford the best HT remote then you can easily afford the ~$40 converter.

However, I assume you are actually wanting the opposite which is the minimum needed at the cheapest price. Start with the PS3 converter and then figure out what is the best remote. Read my FAQ sticky if you aren't sure what to buy.

post #3 of 9 Old 05-10-2011, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Would that work for the Xbox 360 too?
post #4 of 9 Old 05-10-2011, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlinWolf View Post

Would that work for the Xbox 360 too?

Xbox 360 has an IR receiver just like any other consumer electronic device. The PS3 saved the $.10 per unit cost and didn't include an IR receiver and instead relied on Bluetooth.

Pretty much any universal remote will work with the Xbox 360. There is only one universal remote that will work with the PS3 without the IR to Bluetooth converter. You'll be better off with the converter so you aren't tied to that one remote.

If you are getting a Harmony remote then you simply add the Xbox 360 and PS3 as a device. With other remotes the process will depend on the route you take.

post #5 of 9 Old 05-10-2011, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Xbox 360 has an IR receiver just like any other consumer electronic device. The PS3 saved the $.10 per unit cost and didn't include an IR receiver and instead relied on Bluetooth.

Pretty much any universal remote will work with the Xbox 360. There is only one universal remote that will work with the PS3 without the IR to Bluetooth converter. You'll be better off with the converter so you aren't tied to that one remote.

If you are getting a Harmony remote then you simply add the Xbox 360 and PS3 as a device. With other remotes the process will depend on the route you take.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I think I'll just look for a Harmony remote. I keep seeing the name all over the place for the past several years so I guess it's time I jumped on the bandwagon.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-10-2011, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't limit yourself to Harmony just because I mentioned it. I just threw that out there since most first time buyers seem to get one no matter what else was recommended.

post #7 of 9 Old 05-10-2011, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Don't limit yourself to Harmony just because I mentioned it. I just threw that out there since most first time buyers seem to get one no matter what else was recommended.

Man that Harmony 1100 looks so sweet! I guess I had seen the harmony name all over the place, but never actually seen one until I saw the pictures linked in that FAQ thread. I think that is what I almost have to have at this point.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-10-2011, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

If you've never used a touchscreen remote then you might want to think twice. Having to look at the screen gets old after the wow factor is over.

If you want a Harmony and have money to burn look at the One or 900. A good lower end version would be the 700.

If you want to a professional remote then look at the URC MX-980, 5000, or 6000.

post #9 of 9 Old 12-13-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

If you've never used a touchscreen remote then you might want to think twice. Having to look at the screen gets old after the wow factor is over.

If you want a Harmony and have money to burn look at the One or 900. A good lower end version would be the 700.

If you want to a professional remote then look at the URC MX-980, 5000, or 6000.

*First post, so hello everyone.

Yeah, I had the Harmony 1000. It worked great for the first week, then after about 18 months, I wound up like a champ baseball pitcher and smashed it against the living room wall. :O It shattered into a million pieces! So I skipped the "How It's Made" episode that week.

The problem with the 1000 was how slow it was! It's as if they left ALL the developer debugging switches enabled in the firmware. It was by far the slowest remote I have EVER used.

But far a worse offender is URC for leaving it to dealers' discretion for giving you everything you need to reprogram your remote if you make the smallest change to you wiring backplane. This is enough to make a Priest loose his cool and swear up and down! (rhetoric of course)
Then there is the programming aspect of the URC. It should be stated that you virtually need a PhD as a Terminologist and an Undergrad in Eng to make sense of it all. It's far too complex without attending seminars, quitting your job, or taking up alcohol consumption to the point of a 12 stepper program to help heal from programming a remote? No. No thank you.

The simplicity of the Harmony remotes is worth its weight in stress-relief gold. Sure they may not be the fastest, but by god... you will never consider drowning yourself in the tub midway to getting the timings of a scene just the way you want either!

There is a reason Logitech came up with the name Harmony vs all the others that still name their junk with Xs and #s... like I care!

Cheers!
Darasick likes this.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page