Best IR Repeater/Extender for me - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-06-2011, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Currently I have a Directv H21 HD-DVR located in a central location in my house. From it, I run HDMI to a wall mounted Panasonic Plasma in the living room and component to LG LCD in the bedroom. I've been using the Directv RC64R RF remote with less than stellar performance. It used to work pretty good, but my receiver recently crapped out on me and Directv sent me a new one. The new one has horrible RF reception. I've been reading up on wire IR repeaters/extenders. It looks like Xantec, Niles, and Hot Link are all pretty popular $100-$150 solutions. I ran across the Cables to Go (Impact) 40430 kit on Amazon and it looks pretty promising for half the price.

I haven't been able to find the answer to three questions though:
1) The receiver will need to be mounted directly on or very close to my Panasonic Plasma - will I have any interference problems?

2) Will this system work with my Directv H21 receiver? I've read that the satellite receivers work at a higher frequency than typical IR devices.

3) Can I purchase a second receiver and hardwire it into a single distribution block?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-06-2011, 09:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 429
I'll answer what I can.

1) Blaster will usually cover the eye completely, so it shouldn't be affected by your plasma.

2) DirecTV IR is 38.4kHz just like most consumer IR. Nothing unusual about it.

You may also want to consider Next Generation RF which is only around $40. It's better than the others IMO since you don't have to aim at the repeater. You don't really need a high end IR system if you don't need addressable blasters and lots of them (which you don't). I've also heard good things about Cables to Go. Even a simple $20 power-mid or leap frog system should work fine in your case.

I too find that the RF range on the HR21 stinks.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I second the recommendation for the Next Generation remote extender...I use one in the remote that came with my HR-21 and it works perfectly. I have a second transmitter in a URC-8820 to control the HR-21 (and other devices) from a 2nd remote location...also works perfectly.

Vin
post #4 of 8 Old 06-07-2011, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
[quote=mdavej;20532300]I'll answer what I can.

1) Blaster will usually cover the eye completely, so it shouldn't be affected by your plasma.

An IR receiver is not an IR blaster. An IR blaster is an IR blaster.
I've seen lots of plasmas not play nice with IR receivers.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-09-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornDwg01
Currently I have a Directv H21 HD-DVR located in a central location in my house. From it, I run HDMI to a wall mounted Panasonic Plasma in the living room and component to LG LCD in the bedroom. I've been using the Directv RC64R RF remote with less than stellar performance. It used to work pretty good, but my receiver recently crapped out on me and Directv sent me a new one. The new one has horrible RF reception. I've been reading up on wire IR repeaters/extenders. It looks like Xantec, Niles, and Hot Link are all pretty popular $100-$150 solutions. I ran across the Cables to Go (Impact) 40430 kit on Amazon and it looks pretty promising for half the price.

I haven't been able to find the answer to three questions though:
1) The receiver will need to be mounted directly on or very close to my Panasonic Plasma - will I have any interference problems?

2) Will this system work with my Directv H21 receiver? I've read that the satellite receivers work at a higher frequency than typical IR devices.

3) Can I purchase a second receiver and hardwire it into a single distribution block?
The recommendation to use a next gen isn't horrible, as long as it really works as well as the OP says it is, though you will have to deal with rechargeable 2/3 battery that just didn't last long enough to my satisfaction.

1) if you buy the correct receiver, or repeater kit, interference shouldn't be an issue

2) I have and love my Xantech repeater system, though you will have to make sure you're using their latest receiver, the older ones had a bit of an issue w/ my DirecTV STB

3) Not sure
post #6 of 8 Old 06-11-2011, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Do you mean the battery charge didn't last long, or the actual battery usable life wasn't good?
post #7 of 8 Old 06-11-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornDwg01 View Post

Do you mean the battery charge didn't last long, or the actual battery usable life wasn't good?

Charge didn't last long, mine came w/ 2 batteries, so one would charge while the other was in use, but sounds to me like you'll have both in use at the same time if you're going to have a remote in each room. Maybe you'll be happy enough if you get a third battery.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-13-2011, 10:41 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornDwg01 View Post

My experience has been that the rechargeable battery lasts for a minimum of ~3 months, YMMV. For the record, I've been using the NG remote extender for at least 3 years. One other thing worth mentioning is that the NG comes in two frequencies, 433 MHz and 418 MHz. I've used both and the 433 MHz unit seems to be the better performer with respect to distance and consistency.

Vin
Reply Remote Control Area