What is the current best VALUE universal remote to also control PS3?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-03-2011, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
First off, I want to say thank you for all the great information provided in the "Remote Control Area". The FAQ sticky is awesome!

I have PS3 slim, Sony LCD XBR3, Onkyo 605 receiver (soon to be Denon 2112), and a Motorolla HD DVR box.

** I am not looking for the cheapest remote possible. When I say "value", I am looking for a fully featured universal remote that can also control the PS3. I specify the PS3, because initially a remote can be a certain cost; however, when adding blue-tooth capability for the PS3, the final price can be much different.

Compromise:
* I know value causes compromise. I am willing to physically turn ON the PS3 for use; however, I want the remote to turn everything off. I think this gives me the option of using those affordable USB dongle adapters.

Problems:
1) My mounted bookshelf speaker is blocking the OEM remotes from controlling the receiver and cable box, so I need a remote that will give me extra ordinary coverage.

2) Using the remote with my PS3 (blue-tooth) (BTW, I have the PS3 Sony dvd remote)

3) I have specific inputs on the TV that needs to be selected for cable and PS3.

THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-03-2011, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 352
$15 RCA RCRP05B plus a Next Generation RF extender if you need it. If you go that route, I can post the discrete input and discrete on/off codes you'll need for your macros. Add a $17-$30 cable to program it from your computer. No other type of cheap remote can do this. The cheapest harmony can only do one macro. This remote can do dozens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 Old 07-03-2011, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow, that is impressive you can pull that off!! I apologize, I should have been more specific.

I actually like the Harmony remotes, and their functionality (although I have never owned or used one). The object is to find a remote where (like the Harmony) the wife can hit one button and the appropriate devices will be turned on, the receiver will be set to the right input, and the TV will be set to the right input.

Honestly, I also love the cool factor of having a cool remote. The Harmony 650 looks like a great option as it has a LCD screen that will make the whole thing more user friendly (for the wife). My budget is around ~$120-~150 max. That 650 and 700 can easily fall in that budget. I may be able to find a ONE at a great price as well.

I am not sure what the best add-on options are to meet my needs from the "problem" section on my first post.
post #4 of 12 Old 07-03-2011, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang View Post

...The object is to find a remote where (like the Harmony) the wife can hit one button and the appropriate devices will be turned on, the receiver will be set to the right input, and the TV will be set to the right input.

Sorry, I took "value" too literally. For the record, the RCA can do that as well. That's what macros are for. It can do anything you want at the touch of a button and control any function of any device. But if you want harmony, forget Next Generation and just get their IR repeater or some 3rd party IR repeater for your line of sight issue. But for $120 you can get the RF Xsight Touch with RF base which is a much better remote than the 650, and is better in many ways than the $250 harmony 900. It has 18 devices, touch screen, multiple favorites lists, unlimited macro steps (versus zero on the 900 or 5 on the 650), and rechargeable battery with cradle.

post #5 of 12 Old 07-04-2011, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Sorry, I took "value" too literally. For the record, the RCA can do that as well. That's what macros are for. It can do anything you want at the touch of a button and control any function of any device. But if you want harmony, forget Next Generation and just get their IR repeater or some 3rd party IR repeater for your line of sight issue. But for $120 you can get the RF Xsight Touch with RF base which is a much better remote than the 650, and is better in many ways than the $250 harmony 900. It has 18 devices, touch screen, multiple favorites lists, unlimited macro steps (versus zero on the 900 or 5 on the 650), and rechargeable battery with cradle.

Thank you so much for the great suggestion. Wow, I am very green in this area of remotes. I am not familiar with the "Next Generation". I am also embarrassed that this is my first time hearing of the AR remotes, and the RF Xsight Touch. I guess there are many models of the "Touch". Were you referring to a specfic model?

This deal on Amazon looks pretty good:
http://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Resea...9786526&sr=8-1

Not sure if this is the "RF Base" you are referring to:
http://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Resea...9785798&sr=8-3

Is this an example of what you were referring to with an IR repeater:
http://www.amazon.com/X10-POWERMID-C...9787302&sr=1-4

Last question, if I go this route, what is my best option to control my PS3 with this remote?

Thanks!
post #6 of 12 Old 07-04-2011, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, yes and yes. Next gen is a RF system that works with nearly any remote by replacing one of the batteries with a transmitter. Doesn't work with many newer harmonys or ones with battery packs.

Use anything you like for the PS3. Personally I've used a $5 gigaware from radio shack and a $12 nyko bluwave which both use sony DVD codes. Otherwise get something with a remote you can learn from if necessary. If you get a harmony remote, you could use harmony's PS3 adapter (you could get that working with xsight too, but it would be difficult and complicated).

post #7 of 12 Old 07-05-2011, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have a Monster AVL300S(RF/IR) which does all of what you're looking for and works perfectly with Harmony's database and their PS3 adapter if you can survive the lousy charging cradle, clumsy programming app and the fact that it seems to be discontinued.
Also, 6th Avenue Electronics has a very nice price for the Harmony One using the code SLICKONE right now.
I even got an email for Father's day with a Harmony 900 for under $200 IIRC(too late for that one).

PS: I believe Logitech is about to ship out a new batch of remotes or maybe(if they are clever enough) even some kind of solution for iphones, ipads and/or androids which would explain some price drops and offers in the harmony family of remotes.

Krakhen

post #8 of 12 Old 07-06-2011, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I'd have to agree with mdavej for your solution. I've had Harmony for quite some time and still enjoy them but I am disappointed in how Logitech has developed the product.

The suggestion is a solid system and one I would consider if I were buying today.

mdavej, do you know if you can pair more than 1 remote to the rf extender. Curious because for my needs I would need one extender with 4 remotes at different locations.

post #9 of 12 Old 07-06-2011, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^
Sorry, I don't know how multiple extenders would work.

post #10 of 12 Old 07-23-2011, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I actually like the Harmony remotes, and their functionality (although I have never owned or used one).

I've used Harmony remotes for about 10 years now. Nothing is more aggravating than setting one up. They "WAY" over thought and over complicated the whole programming procedure, if you need to do custom buttons and functions.
Once setup, it will indeed do what you request.

I must qualify my comment above... it's been several years since I last used the program interface. In that time Logitech has greatly, no exponentially, improved the setup interface on their web site. It took more time gathering the device info that it took to program my new Harmony 650 (purchased last night; programmed this morning.) Including additional button and menu item programming.

Great job Logitech!

Cheers, Tp

"No lawsuit ever fixed a moron."
post #11 of 12 Old 07-25-2011, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Yes, yes and yes. Next gen is a RF system that works with nearly any remote by replacing one of the batteries with a transmitter. Doesn't work with many newer Harmony's or ones with battery packs.

Use anything you like for the PS3. Personally I've used a $5 gigaware from radio shack and a $12 nyko bluwave which both use sony DVD codes. Otherwise get something with a remote you can learn from if necessary. If you get a harmony remote, you could use harmony's PS3 adapter (you could get that working with xsight too, but it would be difficult and complicated).

So it seems I can't go wrong with either getting the Harmony remote or the Acoustic Research remote.

The Harmony 700 is on sale for $50 right now. The Acoustic Research ARRX18G XSight is still about $80.

The problem, as you said, is if I want RF. The Harmony does not work with the "Next Generation RF" because of their rechargeable battery pack. What would it take to make the Harmony a reliable RF remote?

I guess the same blue-tooth PS3 dongle will work for both, but the AR will take a bit more work to set-up. Maybe I will have to spend a little more for the AR to properly work with the PS3.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-25-2011, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So it seems I can't go wrong with either getting the Harmony remote or the Acoustic Research remote.

The Harmony 700 is on sale for $50 right now. The Acoustic Research ARRX18G XSight is still about $80.

The problem, as you said, is if I want RF. The Harmony does not work with the "Next Generation RF" because of their rechargeable battery pack. What would it take to make the Harmony a reliable RF remote?

I guess the same blue-tooth PS3 dongle will work for both, but the AR will take a bit more work to set-up. Maybe I will have to spend a little more for the AR to properly work with the PS3.

That's a great deal on the 700. If you get the Xsight, you still have to buy the RF base (another $60 or so, or possibly less on ebay).

The rechargeable battery isn't actually the problem on the 700. It uses regular rechargeable AA's, not a battery pack. So it's no problem replacing one battery with the next gen transmitter. The problem is next gen needs to be close enough to the remote circuitry to work. Some have had success, other's haven't, so it's on the edge of being close enough. It may still be worth a try. Just be prepared for plan B if it doesn't work.

Since your components are within view but simply blocked, the harmony IR extender (or similar) may be all you need rather than full blown RF.

Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page