Best Remote for Under $300 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 07-03-2011, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Need suggestions from the pros here. Think my Logitec 890Pro has bit the dust. Thanks very much.

Thank you.

Golffnutt

"GO DAWGS" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 07-04-2011, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golffnutt View Post

need suggestions from the pros here. Think my logitec 890pro has bit the dust. Thanks very much.

anyone??????????????????????????????

Thank you.

Golffnutt

post #3 of 30 Old 07-04-2011, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, there is always the H1, which you must know all about. There are other universal remotes, like this one...
http://araccessories.com/universalremotes/?sku=ARRX18G

But, in my opinion, for the money you are looking to shell out, the Harmony One is head and shoulders above the competition in this price range.
post #4 of 30 Old 07-04-2011, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maybe an MX-450? Seems to be good results and it does RF if you want it.
post #5 of 30 Old 07-04-2011, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekkoville View Post

Maybe an MX-450? Seems to be good results and it does RF if you want it.

I have read they the MX-450 can be more complicated to program than Harmony remotes, and that it has some durability issues.
post #6 of 30 Old 07-05-2011, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloggs13 View Post
Well, there is always the H1, which you must know all about. There are other universal remotes, like this one...
http://araccessories.com/universalremotes/?sku=ARRX18G

But, in my opinion, for the money you are looking to shell out, the Harmony One is head and shoulders above the competition in this price range.
Hi joebloggs and thank you for the reply. Do you think the Harmony One is better than the Harmony 1100 which replaced the One?

Thank you.

Golffnutt

post #7 of 30 Old 07-05-2011, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Hi joebloggs and thank you for the reply. Do you think the Harmony One is better than the Harmony 1100 which replaced the One?
The 1100 replaced the 1000. The One replaced the 880. If you are going the touchscreen route then I'd skip the 1100 and go the smartphone route with something like iRule.

I wouldn't concern myself with the durability of a URC when compared to a Harmony. Was that a joke or something?

post #8 of 30 Old 07-05-2011, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
The 1100 replaced the 1000. The One replaced the 880. If you are going the touchscreen route then I'd skip the 1100 and go the smartphone route with something like iRule.

I wouldn't concern myself with the durability of a URC when compared to a Harmony. Was that a joke or something?
Thanks bryansi for the reply. Since I have retired I don't have one of the fancy phones that does all the things that irule would probably require. Is there another way to use irule and by the way is irule just a software program that gets you started with whatever method or process you are using to get started other than a smartphone. I am very interested in irule but know absolutely nothing about it. Could you please tell me a little about it. Thank you so much.

Thank you.

Golffnutt

post #9 of 30 Old 07-05-2011, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Is the Harmony 1100 reliable and will it last more than 2 years? If at all possible I would like to buy a "used" remote. I feel I get more bang for the buck by buying "used" if I am careful on what I buy and who I buy it from? I can buy a used 1100 within my budget.

Thank you.

Golffnutt

post #10 of 30 Old 07-05-2011, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks bryansi for the reply. Since I have retired I don't have one of the fancy phones that does all the things that irule would probably require. Is there another way to use irule and by the way is irule just a software program that gets you started with whatever method or process you are using to get started other than a smartphone. I am very interested in irule but know absolutely nothing about it. Could you please tell me a little about it. Thank you so much.
You can use something like an iPod Touch instead of the iPhone. You then buy a WiFi to IR extender, such as the GlobalCache product. You program the iRule and load it on the iDevice. It then communicates via WiFi to the extender and then extender sends out IR to your devices.

You might be able to squeeze that in under $300.

However, I personally hate touchscreen based remotes even though I have an iPhone. I'd rather have buttons on my remote. I'm going to have a hard time moving from my URC MX-980. Hopefully when the time comes there will be something I like better on the market.

post #11 of 30 Old 07-05-2011, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You can use something like an iPod Touch instead of the iPhone. You then buy a WiFi to IR extender, such as the GlobalCache product. You program the iRule and load it on the iDevice. It then communicates via WiFi to the extender and then extender sends out IR to your devices.

You might be able to squeeze that in under $300.

However, I personally hate touchscreen based remotes even though I have an iPhone. I'd rather have buttons on my remote. I'm going to have a hard time moving from my URC MX-980. Hopefully when the time comes there will be something I like better on the market.
So you really like the 980? Would you recommend that for me?

Thank you.

Golffnutt

post #12 of 30 Old 07-05-2011, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 293
HERE's some iRule info. There's also a big thread about it here. Unless you really want a touchscreen remote (I certainly would never want one), no need to pursue iRule or the 1100 any further. Since you apparently need RF as well, the Harmony One is also out of the question. Since you have a pretty healthy budget, I agree that a good URC is the way to go. Too many compromises on the harmony side at that price point on the models that replaced the 890.

Even though it's way under your budget, you might want to give the Xsight Touch a look (remote and RF base are only $120 total). It's a very capable RF remote that's more powerful and flexible in many ways than the 900. The response on mine is much better than any harmony I've ever owned, and there are no limits on macros and I have total control over what's in them. I don't know if you have DirecTV, but the Xsight is also the only universal that works natively with DirecTV boxes via RF.
post #13 of 30 Old 07-05-2011, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
HERE's some iRule info. There's also a big thread about it here. Unless you really want a touchscreen remote (I certainly would never want one), no need to pursue iRule or the 1100 any further. Since you apparently need RF as well, the Harmony One is also out of the question. Since you have a pretty healthy budget, I agree that a good URC is the way to go. Too many compromises on the harmony side at that price point on the models that replaced the 890.

Even though it's way under your budget, you might want to give the Xsight Touch a look (remote and RF base are only $120 total). It's a very capable RF remote that's more powerful and flexible in many ways than the 900. The response on mine is much better than any harmony I've ever owned, and there are no limits on macros and I have total control over what's in them. I don't know if you have DirecTV, but the Xsight is also the only universal that works natively with DirecTV boxes via RF.
Thanks mdavej for that link and recommendation. I will do some reading on the Xsight Touch. Who makes it? Yes I do have Directv, their best receiver in 4 rooms. Do you have a link for the Xsight? Thank you.

Thank you.

Golffnutt

post #14 of 30 Old 07-05-2011, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

UEI makes the Xsight as well as millions of other remotes, including your DirecTV remote. HERE's a very in-depth review.
post #15 of 30 Old 07-06-2011, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Guys,

I now have a new wrinkle in my situation and I would like your opinion?

I talked to Logitec yesterday and told them how my 890Pro went out after only 2 years.

They offered me either the 1100 or 900 (both retail @ 399.99 for 50% off. This is not a refurbished unit, it is a new unit and shipping is free. My question is this, is either one of these remotes worth $200 new and if so which one would you recommend for reliability. Again below is a list of my equipment. Thank you so much for your help and advice.

Mitsubishi HD 1000 720P Projector
Dish HD Receiver (the best one they offer)
Onkyo TX-SR 805 AVR
Pioneer Elite Bluray
Pioneer 51FD Bluray (used for CD's only)
Sony S570 Bluray (used for streaming only)

Thank you.

Golffnutt

post #16 of 30 Old 07-06-2011, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
UEI makes the Xsight as well as millions of other remotes, including your DirecTV remote. HERE's a very in-depth review.
Thanks mdavej for the info.

Thank you.

Golffnutt

post #17 of 30 Old 07-06-2011, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I now have a new wrinkle in my situation and I would like your opinion?

I talked to Logitec yesterday and told them how my 890Pro went out after only 2 years.

They offered me either the 1100 or 900 (both retail @ 399.99 for 50% off. This is not a refurbished unit, it is a new unit and shipping is free. My question is this, is either one of these remotes worth $200 new and if so which one would you recommend for reliability. Again below is a list of my equipment. Thank you so much for your help and advice.

Mitsubishi HD 1000 720P Projector
Dish HD Receiver (the best one they offer)
Onkyo TX-SR 805 AVR
Pioneer Elite Bluray
Pioneer 51FD Bluray (used for CD's only)
Sony S570 Bluray (used for streaming only)
If they are giving you either of these at 50% then I would suggest the 900. This gives you RF, buttons and touch(if you are a little wary of an all touch remote), and in my opinion one of the best remotes out there. Here is the 900 review on cnet...
http://reviews.cnet.com/remote-contr...-33743663.html

Here is the Harmony 1100 'first look' for comparison...
http://reviews.cnet.com/remote-contr...=similarProds;[object HTMLCollection]

Both are great, and have the same features. Comes down to preference.
post #18 of 30 Old 07-06-2011, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

One more thing to keep in mind is unlike your 890, these can't do sequences. Personally, a remote without sequences is useless to me, so I would never buy a 900 or 1100 at any price. If you don't know what those are or don't use them on your 890, then you'll be fine with either remote. Whether or not you go with a full touchscreen is totally personal preference. Some people love touch screens, but I prefer buttons so I can use my remote by feel, otherwise the remote becomes more of a distraction than a tool IMO.
post #19 of 30 Old 07-06-2011, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
One more thing to keep in mind is unlike your 890, these can't do sequences. Personally, a remote without sequences is useless to me, so I would never buy a 900 or 1100 at any price. If you don't know what those are or don't use them on your 890, then you'll be fine with either remote. Whether or not you go with a full touchscreen is totally personal preference. Some people love touch screens, but I prefer buttons so I can use my remote by feel, otherwise the remote becomes more of a distraction than a tool IMO.
Thanks so much mdavej for that info. Have a question. By "sequences" do you mean having the ability to tell which unit to turn on first and also be able to set a delay in the sequence that your units are turning on? Frankly I don't care which unit turns on first as long as they all turn on with the touch of one button. Will the 900 do that? Turn on 3,4,5 units on at the same time? Look forward to your reply. Thank you.

Thank you.

Golffnutt

post #20 of 30 Old 07-06-2011, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloggs13 View Post
If they are giving you either of these at 50% then I would suggest the 900. This gives you RF, buttons and touch(if you are a little wary of an all touch remote), and in my opinion one of the best remotes out there. Here is the 900 review on cnet...
http://reviews.cnet.com/remote-contr...-33743663.html

Here is the Harmony 1100 'first look' for comparison...
http://reviews.cnet.com/remote-contr...=similarProds;[object HTMLCollection]

Both are great, and have the same features. Comes down to preference.
Thanks so much joe for those links and your input. I too like a remote with buttons better so I think the 900 would be better for me, I just wonder if it will last longer than my 2 year old defective 890Pro?????

Thank you.

Golffnutt

post #21 of 30 Old 07-06-2011, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks so much joe for those links and your input. I too like a remote with buttons better so I think the 900 would be better for me, I just wonder if it will last longer than my 2 year old defective 890Pro?????
No prob golfnutt. If you are concerned about the durability of the 900, check out the 900 forum. You will probably find your answer there. But I think that unless you get a defective unit, I wouldn't worry. You should have many years of use out of the 900. Whatever your choice, being a Harmony user, you will be happy with the upgrade.
post #22 of 30 Old 07-06-2011, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks so much mdavej for that info. Have a question. By "sequences" do you mean having the ability to tell which unit to turn on first and also be able to set a delay in the sequence that your units are turning on? Frankly I don't care which unit turns on first as long as they all turn on with the touch of one button. Will the 900 do that? Turn on 3,4,5 units on at the same time? Look forward to your reply. Thank you.
No. All harmonys do the activities you're talking about, so you'll be fine there. Sequences are what harmony calls one button macros. If you don't use them today, I guess you won't miss them. Toggling captions on DirecTV for example, takes about 8 steps. I put this "sequence" on a single button. Any remote that can't do this isn't a universal remote in my book, so the 900 and 1100 don't qualify. The 890 could do this, but logitech inexplicably removed sequence capability from the 900 and 1100. I'm not about to shell out good money for a universal remote and end up having to press more than a couple of buttons to perform any activity in my home theater. That's worse performance than a $20 remote from wal-mart.
post #23 of 30 Old 07-06-2011, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No. All harmonys do the activities you're talking about, so you'll be fine there. Sequences are what harmony calls one button macros. If you don't use them today, I guess you won't miss them. Toggling captions on DirecTV for example, takes about 8 steps. I put this "sequence" on a single button. Any remote that can't do this isn't a universal remote in my book, so the 900 and 1100 don't qualify. The 890 could do this, but logitech inexplicably removed sequence capability from the 900 and 1100. I'm not about to shell out good money for a universal remote and end up having to press more than a couple of buttons to perform any activity in my home theater. That's worse performance than a $20 remote from wal-mart.

So I can assume you think the Xsight for about $135 is head and shoulders over any Harmony out there, is this correct? If so I just might try the Xsight. Please give me the model number of yours. Thanks.

Thank you.

Golffnutt

post #24 of 30 Old 07-06-2011, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

A Harmony 900 for $200 is only $34 cheaper than Amazon's current price. Plus Amazon has free shipping, not sure about Logitech. I wouldn't let that "50% off" discount sway your decision of your next remote.

The Harmony 900 is going to do the same things as your 890 (except for sequences, z-wave, and possibly have shorter range), but just feel different in your hand. Since you have already tried a Harmony remote (they all work the same) then maybe you should try a different brand. If you don't like it you could just return it and get another Harmony.

Quote:

So I can assume you think the Xsight for about $135 is head and shoulders over any Harmony out there, is this correct? If so I just might try the Xsight. Please give me the model number of yours. Thanks.

He linked the Xsight in his thread http://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Resea.../dp/B002N1J7DU

post #25 of 30 Old 07-06-2011, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just read the review you sent my on the AARX18G. Not very impressive review. The part that really bothered me was the negative comments about the RF Extender in saying that it would not control all RF units, that really concenrns me because I have several RF units in my system. Your comments please on this subject.

Thank you.

Golffnutt

post #26 of 30 Old 07-06-2011, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A Harmony 900 for $200 is only $34 cheaper than Amazon's current price. Plus Amazon has free shipping, not sure about Logitech. I wouldn't let that "50% off" discount sway your decision of your next remote.

The Harmony 900 is going to do the same things as your 890 (except for sequences, z-wave, and possibly have shorter range), but just feel different in your hand. Since you have already tried a Harmony remote (they all work the same) then maybe you should try a different brand. If you don't like it you could just return it and get another Harmony.

He linked the Xsight in his thread http://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Resea.../dp/B002N1J7DU

Food for thought but I just can't afford the MX-980, over my budget and I really don't want an all touch screen remote, I like buttons.

Thank you.

Golffnutt

post #27 of 30 Old 07-06-2011, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just read the review you sent my on the AARX18G. Not very impressive review. The part that really bothered me was the negative comments about the RF Extender in saying that it would not control all RF units, that really concenrns me because I have several RF units in my system. Your comments please on this subject.

RF universal remotes can't control other RF units. The reviewer probably doesn't understand that. RF universal remotes can only communicate with their extender using RF. There are very few exceptions to this rule. This remote has one of those exceptions in that it can control a DirecTV box in RF mode. Your current remote is another exception since it has Z-wave and can control Z-wave appliances.

Quote:

Food for thought but I just can't afford the MX-980, over my budget and I really don't want an all touch screen remote, I like buttons.

Ok, but I never recommended that you get a MX-980 or any URC product. I also hate touchscreen remotes, but you were interested in iRule early on in the thread. The MX-3000 and MX-6000 are the touchscreen URC remotes. The MX-5000 is a touchscreen/button hybrid, which is way over your budget. That said, I do like my MX-980.

You could try a lower end URC, the Xsight, or the Monster AVL-300.

post #28 of 30 Old 07-06-2011, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think it's an exceptional value and a good remote. I own one myself and have owned many harmonys and think Xsight is better in many respects. The RF extender works perfectly well, so I don't understand the RF issues you mentioned. I agree with most of the points made by the reviewers. Overall, I would rank it inferior to your 890 but far superior to the 900. To be fair, all remotes have negatives. I've always hated the harmony software and hate the Xsight software as well. But Xsight's price makes it the lesser of two evils. But that just one man's opinion of course. Harmony, URC and Xsight all have their own strengths and weaknesses. It's up to you to decide what features are important to you and what they're worth. I thought the Xsight was a good fit for it's low price and ability to control your DirecTV box without blasters.

All that being said, I have lots of long macros that are simply not possible on harmony. You apparently don't. Xsight does take a little more effort to program due to the lack of state tracking that Harmony has. So another harmony would probably be best for you due to the familiarity and the fact that you don't need some of the advanced features found in other brands. But if you want the best quality remote, URC is the way to go. If you want to save some money and have the best integration with your DirecTV box, Xsight is the way to go. If it were me, I'd rather have Z-wave, sequences, zones and good RF, so I'd get another 890 Pro if I could find one. All those features have been removed from the latest harmony models.

EDIT: I thought I read in one of your posts you had DirecTV, but I see in another you say Dish. If you have Dish, then there is no advantage to getting the Xsight for RF control since it will have to use blasters like everyone else.
post #29 of 30 Old 07-06-2011, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think it's an exceptional value and a good remote. I own one myself and have owned many harmonys and think Xsight is better in many respects. The RF extender works perfectly well, so I don't understand the RF issues you mentioned. I agree with most of the points made by the reviewers. Overall, I would rank it inferior to your 890 but far superior to the 900. To be fair, all remotes have negatives. I've always hated the harmony software and hate the Xsight software as well. But Xsight's price makes it the lesser of two evils. But that just one man's opinion of course. Harmony, URC and Xsight all have their own strengths and weaknesses. It's up to you to decide what features are important to you and what they're worth. I thought the Xsight was a good fit for it's low price and ability to control your DirecTV box without blasters.

All that being said, I have lots of long macros that are simply not possible on harmony. You apparently don't. Xsight does take a little more effort to program due to the lack of state tracking that Harmony has. So another harmony would probably be best for you due to the familiarity and the fact that you don't need some of the advanced features found in other brands. But if you want the best quality remote, URC is the way to go. If you want to save some money and have the best integration with your DirecTV box, Xsight is the way to go. If it were me, I'd rather have Z-wave, sequences, zones and good RF, so I'd get another 890 Pro if I could find one. All those features have been removed from the latest harmony models.

EDIT: I thought I read in one of your posts you had DirecTV, but I see in another you say Dish. If you have Dish, then there is no advantage to getting the Xsight for RF control since it will have to use blasters like everyone else.

I changed from Dish to Directv about 3 months ago.

Thank you.

Golffnutt

post #30 of 30 Old 07-06-2011, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

RF universal remotes can't control other RF units. The reviewer probably doesn't understand that. RF universal remotes can only communicate with their extender using RF. There are very few exceptions to this rule. This remote has one of those exceptions in that it can control a DirecTV box in RF mode. Your current remote is another exception since it has Z-wave and can control Z-wave appliances.

Ok, but I never recommended that you get a MX-980 or any URC product. I also hate touchscreen remotes, but you were interested in iRule early on in the thread. The MX-3000 and MX-6000 are the touchscreen URC remotes. The MX-5000 is a touchscreen/button hybrid, which is way over your budget. That said, I do like my MX-980.

You could try a lower end URC, the Xsight, or the Monster AVL-300.

Never said you did recommend the MX-980, just thought since you have one and the fact that you really like it made me think you were recommending one, my misinterpretation, sorry.

Thank you.

Golffnutt

Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page