Total Control on the Cheap - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-03-2011, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I'm working on my home theater. I need a remote that will control all my stuff and mainly do the whole harmony-esque activities button thing since not everybody in this house is too tech savvy.

The main dilemma is that I'm on a fairly tight budget of <$50. I think the harmony ones look best but they are more expensive. Also, all the cheapest ones won't control enough devices.
My List:
Sony Receiver
Marantz Projector
Verizon Fios Box
Blu-Ray Player (future)
Apple TV (future)
PS2
JVC VCR
Electric Projector Screen
Sony CRT TV
In addition, I set up my neighbor's much simpler system with a Harmony 650 and in addition to not working very well, the software didn't provide much ability to do more advanced programming and commands that I may need given my equipment.

I've been looking at trying to hunt down older Harmony 550s and maybe the Monster AVL300. Let me know if you have any advice in the matter or know where I can get something that will fit into my immensely tight budget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-04-2011, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked: 643
JP1 is very cheap and incredibly flexible and vastly more powerful than harmony. A typical JP1 remote is $15, and the programming cable is $18-$30 (or less if you make your own). You can make all your one button macros behave exactly like activities. All you'll be missing is the LCD for additional functions (those will have to go on other hard buttons). My children have never had any trouble with my JP1 remotes from the time they were toddlers. See the links in my sig for more info.

If you want something like harmony, just get an older model or refurb. Most of those do 12-15 devices and are in your budget (see the chart in my sig). JP1 remotes do unlimited devices thanks to device multiplexing.

PM me if you want a harmony 360 cheap (almost identical to the 550).

To give you an idea of the capabilities of JP1 versus harmony, harmony has a programming wizard, help function and an LCD for additional activities and functions. These are big advantages over cheaper remotes and ones that JP1 lacks. However, for sheer programming capability, JP1 wins hands down. You have complete control over the content of macros, can add most functions without learning, easily add pronto hex, analyze IR signals and create any custom protocol for any device, have macros call other macros and even recurse themselves, assign up to 5 functions per button (short press, long press, double press, shifted and double shifted), multiplex devices for unlimited devices, interrupt macros with a button press, custom device state tracking, rudimentary if...then...else via toadtog bits, device specific macros over 5 steps.

Also JP1 is not dependent on a web server for programming. You keep all your config files local and can have as many as you like. Updates take about 3 seconds versus a few minutes with harmony. And unlike harmony, the software has a graphical interface where you can drag and drop functions onto an actual image of your remote. Harmony's new web-based software has something similar but at the expense of losing many other capabilities. And since JP1 is built by and for users, support is fast and free forever. If you ask for a new feature in the software, you'll likely get it very quickly.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-06-2011, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for your advice! I decided to go harmony anyway though since I was looking for something a bit more streamlined and that was really what I wanted. I found an open box 670 pretty cheap on amazon and went with that. I will definitely keep the JP1 stuff in mind though since I had never heard of it before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page