post #3001 of 9959 Old 05-21-2011, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorse4765 View Post

I was just getting ready to try chrome. Funnny thing is the builder has been working fine with Safari for 8 weeks and this is the first it has happened. Will post back if Chrome solves the problem. thanks much.

Ya know u used safari for a year with irule and about 2 months ago it just didn't work anymore. I have no idea why so I use chrome also now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3002 of 9959 Old 05-21-2011, 03:52 PM

Liked: 10
I've had a unityremote and a redeye and I think irule is clearly the best. However, where redeye does beat irule is the ability to include a TV guide within the app that is responsive. Just a thought. Would love to see this functionality in irule.
post #3003 of 9959 Old 05-21-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman13 View Post

I've had a unityremote and a redeye and I think irule is clearly the best. However, where redeye does beat irule is the ability to include a TV guide within the app that is responsive. Just a thought. Would love to see this functionality in irule.

What TV service do yo use? I have direct TV, and by embedding a web page I'm able to accomplish exactly that.
post #3004 of 9959 Old 05-21-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zellarman View Post

What TV service do yo use? I have direct TV, and by embedding a web page I'm able to accomplish exactly that.

I use comcast, cable. Is there a way to do it?
post #3005 of 9959 Old 05-21-2011, 10:24 PM

I didn't have any particular issues getting control of my Pioneer vsx-1021-k to work via IP. The issue, however, is that it appears that only one device at a time can be connected to the Pioneer. The first iPhone/iPad that starts up iRule has no problem configuring the gateway, but any subsequent iPhone/iPad when brings up a panel that has a Pioneer command in it can't configure this gateway. Wouldnt be too bad except the problem is that the device freezes for a minute or more before it gives up. Very annoying to have my ipad freeze because somebody else in the house still has irule running on their iPhone.

Is there some fundamental limitation of the Pioneer causes this problem? Do I have any alternative other than falling back to IR control? this is the only device that seems to have this limitation.
post #3006 of 9959 Old 05-21-2011, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillkwaj View Post

I didn't have any particular issues getting control of my Pioneer vsx-1021-k to work via IP. The issue, however, is that it appears that only one device at a time can be connected to the Pioneer. The first iPhone/iPad that starts up iRule has no problem configuring the gateway, but any subsequent iPhone/iPad when brings up a panel that has a Pioneer command in it can't configure this gateway. Wouldnt be too bad except the problem is that the device freezes for a minute or more before it gives up. Very annoying to have my ipad freeze because somebody else in the house still has irule running on their iPhone.

Is there some fundamental limitation of the Pioneer causes this problem? Do I have any alternative other than falling back to IR control? this is the only device that seems to have this limitation.

Switch to rs232 control with an itach

St Louis, MO - Lutron certified
www.jag-es.com
post #3007 of 9959 Old 05-22-2011, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillkwaj View Post

You can use a serial port server like a Digi TS, you use a loopback on two of the ports to provide multi user simultaneous access to the TCP port of your Pioneer. I 'm doing it for a GC-100 and I got the idea from arnobarno (and others) doing it with Denon Avrs. If you do a search for Digi Ts-16, or portserver, you will find the info.
post #3008 of 9959 Old 05-22-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by project_x View Post

You can use a serial port server like a Digi TS, you use a loopback on two of the ports to provide multi user simultaneous access to the TCP port of your Pioneer. I 'm doing it for a GC-100 and I got the idea from arnobarno (and others) doing it with Denon Avrs. If you do a search for Digi Ts-16, or portserver, you will find the info.

Interesting. Is this difficult to set up? (for a novice) How many simultanious connections is possible this way? Is there any chance of this kind of setup screwing up 2 way com when available? I had desided to change my GC100-12 for several iTach's but if this might work just as good i might do this instead.
post #3009 of 9959 Old 05-22-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:

I use comcast, cable. Is there a way to do it?

Check with comcast. Providers usually have some sort of listing service on their website, or you can pay at tvguide.com $20 a year.
post #3010 of 9959 Old 05-22-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:

Your post made me think. I just created a page in the builder that is a url linked to www.tvguide.com/ipad/ and now I have an in-app tv guide.

You could do the same with an iphone i think but not sure what it would look like. not sure if they have a /iphone/ page.
post #3011 of 9959 Old 05-22-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydus View Post

Your post made me think. I just created a page in the builder that is a url linked to www.tvguide.com/ipad/ and now I have an in-app tv guide.

You could do the same with an iphone i think but not sure what it would look like. not sure if they have a /iphone/ page.

Would it have the same functionality? That is, if you press a show on the guide will it take you to that channel? If so, how does that work? Thanks.
post #3012 of 9959 Old 05-22-2011, 08:29 AM

Hi guys.

I have been looking for a remote controll solution for sometimes now. I found this thread a few weeks ago and started reading on irule homepage and a little here in this tread.

So it looks like it might be just what I'm looking for. But there are a few things i like to get straight before i get any further.

First here is the setup I'm in the middle of making.

A "server room" with my NAS server and 4 HTPC/PCs and 1-2 amps. 3 TV and 1 Projector in 3 different rooms.

Ill like to control it all with a ipad in each of the 3 rooms using IRule.

Here are my questions i hope you guys will help me with.

1. Will the Irule software on the HTPCs turn the them on and off or how is this accomplished?

2. Will i need a itach IP2SL-P for controlling my Pioneer 2020-K or can it be controlled via. LAN just as well? I read somewhere in this tread that the Pioneer might only accept 1 ipad to control it at a time?

3. Can i place 1 iTach IP2IR in my "server room" and connect 4 IRs and send them to 3 TVs and 1 projector screen with mini jack extender cords,

4. the IP2IP has 3 IR mini jack but i can connect 2 to each right?

5. All the TVs are 2011 Samsung SmartTVs with LAN is there any way to control them via LAN so i don't need the IP2IR?
post #3013 of 9959 Old 05-22-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymagnu View Post

Interesting. Is this difficult to set up? (for a novice) How many simultanious connections is possible this way? Is there any chance of this kind of setup screwing up 2 way com when available? I had desided to change my GC100-12 for several iTach's but if this might work just as good i might do this instead.

It is pretty easy to do, I'll probably write a tutorial for it when I iron out one small hiccup. It is a completely seamless connection, so two way communications won't be affected. I'm having a problem with the initial handshake, I know arno didn't have that with his denon. It tells me that the gateway isn't connected, even though it sends commands and works......
post #3014 of 9959 Old 05-22-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by project_x View Post

It is pretty easy to do, I'll probably write a tutorial for it when I iron out one small hiccup. It is a completely seamless connection, so two way communications won't be affected. I'm having a problem with the initial handshake, I know arno didn't have that with his denon. It tells me that the gateway isn't connected, even though it sends commands and works......

Thanks for the quick reply. Would one TS16 support more than one gateway this way, say one or two GC100 and/or one or more Denon receivers (or any other gateway) at the same time? I Think i might just order one of these if I can find one cheap.
post #3015 of 9959 Old 05-22-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymagnu View Post

Thanks for the quick reply. Would one TS16 support more than one gateway this way, say one or two GC100 and/or one or more Denon receivers (or any other gateway) at the same time? I Think i might just order one of these if I can find one cheap.

On a TS-16 you could do 8 GC-100, you need two ports on the TS for each GC. I got mine on ebay for $35 + shipping, mine had a serial number that ends in 1185,so any model that or newer will work for sure
post #3016 of 9959 Old 05-22-2011, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
This is slightly off topic, but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I just purchased iRule from their website (paying via PayPal) and I received a confirmation email, but I am not able to get to a download page. If I click on the link in the email it asks me to log in using my google account (which is the same email I paid with), but when I enter the info it just loops back to the "click here to buy" page. I seem to be stuck in a loop. There are no errors or anything on the page.

I sent suppot a note, but I imagine it may take them a day or two to respond.

Nick
post #3017 of 9959 Old 05-22-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGiovas View Post

This is slightly off topic, but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I just purchased iRule from their website (paying via PayPal) and I received a confirmation email, but I am not able to get to a download page. If I click on the link in the email it asks me to log in using my google account (which is the same email I paid with), but when I enter the info it just loops back to the "click here to buy" page. I seem to be stuck in a loop. There are no errors or anything on the page.

I sent suppot a note, but I imagine it may take them a day or two to respond.

Nick

There is nothing to download. Just login to the irulebuilder page and you construct your pages online there.
post #3018 of 9959 Old 05-22-2011, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is nothing to download. Just login to the irulebuilder page and you construct your pages online there.

I can't even do that. I click on "iRule Builder" on the right and then click on "visit iRule Builder now" and it takes me to the "buy now" page which takes me through the Google login loop.
post #3019 of 9959 Old 05-22-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:

I can't even do that. I click on "iRule Builder" on the right and then click on "visit iRule Builder now" and it takes me to the "buy now" page which takes me through the Google login loop.

Try going to builder.iruleathome.com. Does that work?
post #3020 of 9959 Old 05-22-2011, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Try going to builder.iruleathome.com. Does that work?

That is the link I was going to. Here is a picture of the page I get when clicking on the link. If I click on "buy now" it just takes me to the google login page which loops back to this page.

Thanks for trying to help out. It looks like I was going to the right link. There may just be an issue with the site. I was looking forward to using this, but I guess I will need to wait until I can contact them.

post #3021 of 9959 Old 05-22-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:

That is the link I was going to. Here is a picture of the page I get when clicking on the link. If I click on "buy now" it just takes me to the google login page which loops back to this page.

Thanks for trying to help out. It looks like I was going to the right link. There may just be an issue with the site. I was looking forward to using this, but I guess I will need to wait until I can contact them.

Maybe they have to wait for your payment to go through. If you paid with paypal and are using a credit card through paypal there can be a delay...
post #3022 of 9959 Old 05-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does anyone know if overlapping cells will create an issue with button functionality? Some of my layouts have buttons that are close together, where when you click on them in the builder you can see that the green box around the button image overlaps another, but the button images don't overlap. Will it be a problem that the green sections overlap each other? Thanks!

-Sean
post #3023 of 9959 Old 05-22-2011, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe they have to wait for your payment to go through. If you paid with paypal and are using a credit card through paypal there can be a delay...

Well, problem solved. iRule's exceptional customer service got back with me on Sunday. My account ended up in some sort of loop with the demo expiring (but I never installed/used it so I didn't know). Outstanding support. Thanks iRule.
post #3024 of 9959 Old 05-22-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak1 View Post

Hi guys.

I have been looking for a remote controll solution for sometimes now. I found this thread a few weeks ago and started reading on irule homepage and a little here in this tread.

So it looks like it might be just what I'm looking for. But there are a few things i like to get straight before i get any further.

First here is the setup I'm in the middle of making.

A "server room" with my NAS server and 4 HTPC/PCs and 1-2 amps. 3 TV and 1 Projector in 3 different rooms.

Ill like to control it all with a ipad in each of the 3 rooms using IRule.

Here are my questions i hope you guys will help me with.

1. Will the Irule software on the HTPCs turn the them on and off or how is this accomplished?

2. Will i need a itach IP2SL-P for controlling my Pioneer 2020-K or can it be controlled via. LAN just as well? I read somewhere in this tread that the Pioneer might only accept 1 ipad to control it at a time?

3. Can i place 1 iTach IP2IR in my "server room" and connect 4 IRs and send them to 3 TVs and 1 projector screen with mini jack extender cords,

4. the IP2IP has 3 IR mini jack but i can connect 2 to each right?

5. All the TVs are 2011 Samsung SmartTVs with LAN is there any way to control them via LAN so i don't need the IP2IR?

1. Yes you will have to use wake on LAN which is built in but you might want to simplify your life and leave them on. I have always had issues with trying to wake sleeping pcs. 4 is a lot of power to waste though.
2. Dont know
3. Yes. You just have to run wires to each tv. Might need to amplify the signal.
4. Yes with dual headed blinker thingies.
5. Don't think so. Samsung stupidly have not released the protocol they use. I think you could figure it out with wires ark but that is a lot of work and you might need ir to turn them on anyway. Should have thought about control before you laid out he big bucks
post #3025 of 9959 Old 05-22-2011, 02:58 PM

Is irule just itai? Seems like it would have to be for this product to make money at only $50 a pop and lots of the little things not being done:
- website looks amateurish
- user forum at avsforum
- no sorting of user image fields
- new layouts/button sets very infrequent
- no online image processing tool to modify the provided images
- no pre laid out pages with auto button and command linking to devices

Soooo much to do to take this product out of the hobby realm.
post #3026 of 9959 Old 05-22-2011, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I now have iRule loaded and have started playing around with the builder. My first task/test was to attempt to control a Directv box via my home network. I created a new panel and portrait page in the builder. I then loaded the device controls for "Directv Satellite STB H and HR Series All Models Address 1". I created a page with the basic buttons (ch up, ch down, stop, play, pause, menu, info) and dragged the appropriate commands from the device listing.

I then attempted to connect to the box via both "network" and "http". For network I set the static IP of my directv box along with the port from the box. I was able to connect, but when I send a command it doesn't work and I see the arrows in the bottom left corner of the screen are red. I assume that I can't use "network"?

I then tried http and used the format "ip:8080" and was again able to connect to the box. Now the arrows in the bottom left corner are green when I hit a button, but nothing happens.

Am I doing something wrong? Can I use the network connection, or does it need to be http? Should I be using the user provided Directv commands for "http"? I just assumed I could use the iRule provided commands.

Another quick note - I do have whole house DVR configured and working and I have tested two DRVs with the same results.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
post #3027 of 9959 Old 05-22-2011, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I now have iRule loaded and have started playing around with the builder. My first task/test was to attempt to control a Directv box via my home network. I created a new panel and portrait page in the builder. I then loaded the device controls for "Directv Satellite STB H and HR Series All Models Address 1". I created a page with the basic buttons (ch up, ch down, stop, play, pause, menu, info) and dragged the appropriate commands from the device listing.

I then attempted to connect to the box via both "network" and "http". For network I set the static IP of my directv box along with the port from the box. I was able to connect, but when I send a command it doesn't work and I see the arrows in the bottom left corner of the screen are red. I assume that I can't use "network"?

I then tried http and used the format "ip:8080" and was again able to connect to the box. Now the arrows in the bottom left corner are green when I hit a button, but nothing happens.

Am I doing something wrong? Can I use the network connection, or does it need to be http? Should I be using the user provided Directv commands for "http"? I just assumed I could use the iRule provided commands.

Another quick note - I do have whole house DVR configured and working and I have tested two DRVs with the same results.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

After reading my post, I am guessing the "address 1" commands provided by iRule are the IR commands, not network. I am going to try the user provided commands for http and see what happens.

...EDIT...
Yep, that worked. Sorry for the stupid question.
post #3028 of 9959 Old 05-22-2011, 07:09 PM

Ok, I'm looking at iRule very serious to control my whole house. Of course this is the part I say "I have a few questions first" (I do) I have some money already into z-wave. (front door lock, thermostat, lights, and plugs.) I have already read on here that some suggest to get Micasaverde. (GOOD NEWS I already have it, V2 UI4 1.245)

Now for my question where in iRule and where in iVera do I go so they talk to each other?
What do I need?
How do I do it?
Does it work?
Does anyone on here have z-wave or zigbee or other locks that they are controlling with iRule?
What thermostats are ppl using?
Should I dump it all for Lutron? (I have Levinton now and are very happy with them)
If I dump z-wave what locks can I use?
Sorry for all the dumb and simple questions, but I'm just want to make sure before I start investing in more things.

Thank you.
post #3029 of 9959 Old 05-22-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydus View Post

1. Yes you will have to use wake on LAN which is built in but you might want to simplify your life and leave them on. I have always had issues with trying to wake sleeping pcs. 4 is a lot of power to waste though.
2. Dont know
3. Yes. You just have to run wires to each tv. Might need to amplify the signal.
4. Yes with dual headed blinker thingies.
5. Don't think so. Samsung stupidly have not released the protocol they use. I think you could figure it out with wires ark but that is a lot of work and you might need ir to turn them on anyway. Should have thought about control before you laid out he big bucks

Thank you for your answer.

1. Thanks. I will be looking at alternatives, like these: http://www.simerec.com/PCS-2.html

2. I hope someone else can help here? "Will i need a itach IP2SL-P for controlling my Pioneer 2020-K or can it be controlled via. LAN just as well? I read somewhere in this tread that the Pioneer might only accept 1 ipad to control it at a time?"

3. Can you link to a device that can amplify the signal?

4. Thanks.

5. Is there a TV brand that it works with?
post #3030 of 9959 Old 05-23-2011, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If you are trying to amplify an IR signal, get the xantech 791-44 connecting block, the necessary power supply and Global cache cable (all discussed in this thread). That unit will provide 10 outputs that can be run hundreds of feet using 22-24 gauge wire (pairs from a cat5 cable) are adequate and each pair can drive several IR emitters wired in series at the end.
I run global cache GC-100 outputs 70-100 feet or so with no issues. I have not played with the outouts of an iTach.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Sharp Aquos , Lcd Hdtv , Receivers Amplifiers , Philips Pronto Tsu7000 The Intelligent Remote Control For Home Theater
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page