iRule - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 9968 Old 01-11-2011, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
As I stated a couple of posts ago, Look into "Link" Buttons. It is discussed in the tutorial. Link buttons take commands but also allow you to transfer to a new page.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 9968 Old 01-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner View Post

Could you elaborate further on how you did this? Your Directv box is controlled directly over IP via a ethernet cable? Further, are you saying that the iRule database includes codes for controlling a Directv box through the ethernet port? I would love more details on this as I wasn't aware that Directv could be controlled through ethernet. I've always had issues controlling my HR20 with IR and would kill for a IP solution.

Yes, you can control a directive DVR (HR2x models) via Ethernet. It is a simple http protocol. You can execute all of the normal controls and query for your playlist. It is more limited than I would like ( would like to schedule and delete recordings too ).

I stlll use RS232 for my transport controls and only use Ethernet/http for playlist queries and direct number channel changes.

Below is a video of my iPad interface to directv. It is not done with iRule but I'm sure some of the talented rule developers will figure something similar out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWLzOica0nI
CiroIp likes this.

St Louis, MO - Lutron certified
www.jag-es.com
post #363 of 9968 Old 01-12-2011, 04:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiasco View Post

Yes, you can control a directive DVR (HR2x models) via Ethernet. It is a simple http protocol. You can execute all of the normal controls and query for your playlist. It is more limited than I would like ( would like to schedule and delete recordings too ).

I stlll use RS232 for my transport controls and only use Ethernet/http for playlist queries and direct number channel changes.

Below is a video of my iPad interface to directv. It is not done with iRule but I'm sure some of the talented rule developers will figure something similar out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWLzOica0nI

I'm out! Waaaay over my head, here. Those guys over on DBSTalk are talking Chinese, which is to say, I don't understand a single word of it. One thing is for sure, though: It's Going to take a Phd in A/V science and a programming degree just to get my Sat box controlled by ethernet. Not what I was expecting. Simple HTTP protocall? What does that mean?
post #364 of 9968 Old 01-12-2011, 05:05 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I'm out! Waaaay over my head, here. Those guys over on DBSTalk are talking Chinese, which is to say, I don't understand a single word of it. One thing is for sure, though: It's Going to take a Phd in A/V science and a programming degree just to get my Sat box controlled by ethernet. Not what I was expecting. Simple HTTP protocall? What does that mean?

HTTP, that you would be able to send POST and GETs , or display the webgui, or part of it on a URL-area in iRule.

Kinda what I have done in XBMC, scrolling throu movie covers.
post #365 of 9968 Old 01-12-2011, 05:17 AM

Quote:

It's not difficult, the commmands are still drag and drop, I think the only thing you need to know is that the boxes are on port 8080, just plug the boxes into your network, it really is that simple.
post #366 of 9968 Old 01-12-2011, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrekk76 View Post

Yes I created some webpages done with the jsonrcp api, so it nothing more then JavaScript. And I cant say I'm all that good with js.

Would you be willing to share your .js scripts and a two line instruction of where I put them and the URLs I use to access them.
I haven't tinkered in the web interface yet.

As an aside, I have installed various "web skins" into XBMC 10 live, but I don't seem to be able to enable them. Any idea what obvious step I am missing?

Cheers,
Bruce.
post #367 of 9968 Old 01-12-2011, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

HTTP, that you would be able to send POST and GETs , or display the webgui, or part of it on a URL-area in iRule.

Kinda what I have done in XBMC, scrolling throu movie covers.

I just want to be able to control my HR20 via ethernet. I'm not interested in web interfaces, queries, 2way control, servers, MCE, etc. I just want to channel up/down and use the guide and DVR. Simple.
post #368 of 9968 Old 01-12-2011, 05:26 AM

Quote:

Nothing nearly done! just a prof of concept..

Would it be possible to have a large "URL object" in the background of the iRule panel that displayed relevant "fanart" ?

is there a way of triggering the URLs to refresh?
a timer reload in the html?
Something cleverer?
post #369 of 9968 Old 01-12-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH5200 View Post

Would you be willing to share your .js scripts and a two line instruction of where I put them and the URLs I use to access them.
I haven't tinkered in the web interface yet.

As an aside, I have installed various "web skins" into XBMC 10 live, but I don't seem to be able to enable them. Any idea what obvious step I am missing?

Cheers,
Bruce.

I will, and I hope more then me will start to make stuff like this
I need to finish it up abit before I can publish it... hopefully wont take to long!

Web skins.. only used skins in XBMC, and Rapier MOD is my favorite
post #370 of 9968 Old 01-12-2011, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zellarman View Post

It's not difficult, the commmands are still drag and drop, I think the only thing you need to know is that the boxes are on port 8080, just plug the boxes into your network, it really is that simple.

Do I need to "force" download Cutting Edge software to my box?
post #371 of 9968 Old 01-12-2011, 06:06 AM

Quote:

Would it be possible to have a large "URL object" in the background of the iRule panel that displayed relevant "fanart" ?

Something cleverer?

the url will get refreshed by JS so thats not the problem, iRule dont let you but anything else then a picture on the background layer so cant be done as it is now.. and might be to slow anyhow.

But why not make something like an area where you scroll your movies, select one and post info such as bigger cover, plot, rating and stuff like that in an other area?

where is all this time I need!?
post #372 of 9968 Old 01-12-2011, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Something cleverer?

Like so? (this is CommandFusion not iRule but I'm sure iRule can do something similar)

St Louis, MO - Lutron certified
www.jag-es.com
post #373 of 9968 Old 01-12-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zellarman View Post

Hello and thanks for the info. Just a few more questions though. I am trying to control the DirecTV HR24 receiver via ethernet. I can connect to it via the IP address and port number, but as of right now, the controls don't do anything. First off, any help in identifying the correct device to donwload from the list in the Builder app. There are a lot of DirecTV receiver devices and a lot are named the same. I have no idea of which one to pick or what the differences are between all the listings.
Second, I think I am supposed to setup the DirecTV receiver as a gateway and from reading, it should be setup as a HTTP gateway and not a Network gateway as I have been trying. Is that correct?
Am I missing anything else?
Thank you very much for anyone that can provide some insight.
Matt Petrich
post #374 of 9968 Old 01-12-2011, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpetrich View Post

Hello and thanks for the info. Just a few more questions though. I am trying to control the DirecTV HR24 receiver via ethernet. I can connect to it via the IP address and port number, but as of right now, the controls don't do anything. First off, any help in identifying the correct device to donwload from the list in the Builder app. There are a lot of DirecTV receiver devices and a lot are named the same. I have no idea of which one to pick or what the differences are between all the listings.
Second, I think I am supposed to setup the DirecTV receiver as a gateway and from reading, it should be setup as a HTTP gateway and not a Network gateway as I have been trying. Is that correct?
Am I missing anything else?
Thank you very much for anyone that can provide some insight.
Matt Petrich

In the device lists I have used the http commands and http channels for my devices. The first for all of the commands (list, select, up, etc.) the 2nd for direct tuning of channels. There are several you are right and I can't remember which exact ones I chose as I have renamed them in my set up as I have 3 boxes I am controlling and didn't want to confuse them.

The gateway is set up as a HTTP gateway with the address of IP:8080 so for me it is 192.xxx.x.105:8080. Make sure on your directv box you set it to a static ip address so that when it reboots at some future point it doesn't acquire a new address and force you to reconfigure irule.

From there just design your pages, drag and drop your commands, assign the device(s) to the gateway and you're good to go.

I have not seen any limited functionality in the commands, every command available on my dtv remove is in the database, from the green and red buttons, record, list, guide, menu, power on and off, they are all there and work perfectly.

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
post #375 of 9968 Old 01-12-2011, 08:23 AM

Thank you very much for the information!
I really appreciate it.
I will try again to get the HR24 working.
Thanks again!
Matt Petrich
post #376 of 9968 Old 01-12-2011, 09:06 AM

Liked: 12
Hi all, new to this thread and still trying to catch up on it. Only at page 30 so far. I bought iRule and a GC-100-6 to control my AVR, BD player & projector (and some more stuff but that's less important. I found the RS232 codes for my (hopefully soon) JVC RS40 projector in the irulebuilder database. However for my Yamaha RX-A2000 receiver there seem to be only IR codes. What if I want to control it by Ip code directly or RS232? A fellow forum member provided me with the IP & RS232 control codes, is there an easy way to import them into the irulebuilder ?
post #377 of 9968 Old 01-12-2011, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomSeen31 View Post

In the device lists I have used the http commands and http channels for my devices. The first for all of the commands (list, select, up, etc.) the 2nd for direct tuning of channels. There are several you are right and I can't remember which exact ones I chose as I have renamed them in my set up as I have 3 boxes I am controlling and didn't want to confuse them.

The gateway is set up as a HTTP gateway with the address of IP:8080 so for me it is 192.xxx.x.105:8080. Make sure on your directv box you set it to a static ip address so that when it reboots at some future point it doesn't acquire a new address and force you to reconfigure irule.

From there just design your pages, drag and drop your commands, assign the device(s) to the gateway and you're good to go.

I have not seen any limited functionality in the commands, every command available on my dtv remove is in the database, from the green and red buttons, record, list, guide, menu, power on and off, they are all there and work perfectly.

Thanks for the info, SeldomSeen31. Looking through the device database for Directv, the only devices I see that contain network codes are,

"DirecTv Satellite STB H and HR Series RS232 All Models" and "All Channels"

Is this the correct device? Also, does anyone know if I need to download the "Cutting Edge" beta software to my box before this will work?
post #378 of 9968 Old 01-12-2011, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info, SeldomSeen31. Looking through the device database for Directv, the only devices I see that contain network codes are,

"DirecTv Satellite STB H and HR Series RS232 All Models" and "All Channels"

Is this the correct device? Also, does anyone know if I need to download the "Cutting Edge" beta software to my box before this will work?

Nope, that is not the correct device.

Use the search function in the devices. Search by vedor: Directv and type: Satellite

There are many that come up, I think the ones titled directv satellite HTTP remote commands and directv satellite HTTP all channels are what you are looking for.

No other download should be needed. Set the box on a static ip and set it up in irule as an HTTP gateway. Then it works just like IR commands.

post #379 of 9968 Old 01-12-2011, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohotos View Post

... for my Yamaha RX-A2000 receiver there seem to be only IR codes. What if I want to control it by Ip code directly or RS232? A fellow forum member provided me with the IP & RS232 control codes, is there an easy way to import them into the irulebuilder ?

You can create a new device in Builder and then add the codes one at a time (put them under Network codes, whether they are IP or RS232). Or you can put them all in a file using a text editor, then upload them all at once. There's a tutorial on doing this here.

If you want to experiment with both IP and RS232, create a difference device for each. Once you add all the codes you can share the device, although I would make sure it's pretty complete and tested before you share it. As soon as someone sees the shared device and starts using it, they won't get any new codes that you add unless they import it again, and then they'll have to redo all their buttons to use the new device (or at least that's way it used to work, although there was some talk of fixing this).

Edit: BTW I noticed that the RX-A2000 is supposed to close the TCP connection if it's been idle for a while (40 seconds I think), which may be a problem with iRule. Perhaps you can try this and see if it really does disconnect, and whether iRule automatically reconnects or doesn't (in the latter case commands will stop working, but if you go back to the list of panels and reenter the one for the receiver, it should reconnect again).
post #380 of 9968 Old 01-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nope, that is not the correct device.

Use the search function in the devices. Search by vedor: Directv and type: Satellite

There are many that come up, I think the ones titled directv satellite HTTP remote commands and directv satellite HTTP all channels are what you are looking for.

No other download should be needed. Set the box on a static ip and set it up in irule as an HTTP gateway. Then it works just like IR commands.

That is great info, thank you! I'm currently using a Pronto TSU7000 with a 6000 IR repeater. My channel macros are horrendous and rarely work properly. Also, entering channels manually, have to be entered very slowly and purposefully for them to take. Does ethernet control alleviate these issues?
post #381 of 9968 Old 01-12-2011, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That is great info, thank you! I'm currently using a Pronto TSU7000 with a 6000 IR repeater. My channel macros are horrendous and rarely work properly. Also, entering channels manually, have to be entered very slowly and purposefully for them to take. Does ethernet control alleviate these issues?

Yes, it works like a charm. There are dedicated codes for each channel. I used ir with directv when I first set up irule and it was a pain for favorite channels. I found a method that worked fairly well, 95% of the time, but making changes or adding new channels was a major pain.

The only thing to keep in mind is that they work the same when you have the guide up. If the guide is up and you hit a direct channel button it doesn't move the guide to that channel listing, it tunes the channel in the top right channel window to that channel and the guide stays put.

post #382 of 9968 Old 01-12-2011, 10:26 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

You can create a new device in Builder and then add the codes one at a time (put them under Network codes, whether they are IP or RS232). Or you can put them all in a file using a text editor, then upload them all at once. There's a tutorial on doing this here.

If you want to experiment with both IP and RS232, create a difference device for each. Once you add all the codes you can share the device, although I would make sure it's pretty complete and tested before you share it. As soon as someone sees the shared device and starts using it, they won't get any new codes that you add unless they import it again, and then they'll have to redo all their buttons to use the new device (or at least that's way it used to work, although there was some talk of fixing this).

Edit: BTW I noticed that the RX-A2000 is supposed to close the TCP connection if it's been idle for a while (40 seconds I think), which may be a problem with iRule. Perhaps you can try this and see if it really does disconnect, and whether iRule automatically reconnects or doesn't (in the latter case commands will stop working, but if you go back to the list of panels and reenter the one for the receiver, it should reconnect again).

Thanks for all the info, sounds like I will have a lot of work but will try it. The TCP connection timeout is it on Ethernet only or would it affect RS232 control as well?
post #383 of 9968 Old 01-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, it works like a charm. There are dedicated codes for each channel. I used ir with directv when I first set up irule and it was a pain for favorite channels. I found a method that worked fairly well, 95% of the time, but making changes or adding new channels was a major pain.

The only thing to keep in mind is that they work the same when you have the guide up. If the guide is up and you hit a direct channel button it doesn't move the guide to that channel listing, it tunes the channel in the top right channel window to that channel and the guide stays put.

Thanks, again. One more question. As long as my router remains powered on, the PC can remain off, is that correct?
post #384 of 9968 Old 01-12-2011, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohotos View Post

Thanks for all the info, sounds like I will have a lot of work but will try it. The TCP connection timeout is it on Ethernet only or would it affect RS232 control as well?

RS232 is "connectionless" (neither end knows if anyone is listening or not), so it won't affect RS232.

Setting up everything will take you a while, but you can enter a couple of codes and do a quick test very easily.
post #385 of 9968 Old 01-12-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:

Thanks, again. One more question. As long as my router remains powered on, the PC can remain off, is that correct?

No PC needs to be on. The direct tune channels are great too, they're not even really macros, just a single command telling the box to go to that channel. Let us know how it works out for you.
post #386 of 9968 Old 01-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yep. Once connected and built in irule it will function just like any other IR device. Your ipod, router and gateway are all that are needed to be powered.

post #387 of 9968 Old 01-12-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizell View Post

Bud

Before this install we looked at several 60" screens and ultimately decided on the LCD - the thing we noticed most with the LED screens this large was the center fades just a little with the edgelit LED (which i think your Sony is) The 42" looked stunning but the 60" told me to stick LCD for the time being or buy a fully backlit LED screen for more money. Just my two cents.

I agree with you 100%- I installed a full LED Sharp and vowed to stay plasma ever since-it's got really bad vignetting, the only reason I'm using the Sony is because it looks good and has presence sensors. I know that these guys want wow factor over quality.

I'd be interested in how you send IR down an ethernet cable though. That would mean no blaster=PROFIT!
post #388 of 9968 Old 01-12-2011, 02:25 PM

I'd be interested in how you send IR down an ethernet cable though. That would mean no blaster=PROFIT![/quote]

I just ran it straight down the cable. I literally took an iTach single head emitter, cut it in half, stripped the cable to the shield and single conductor wire and used a phone butt splice connector from Home Depot to connect to Cat 5. I only had 2 Cat 5 cables to the back of the TV and the HDMI Intelix baluns I had required both cables, but only 7 out of 8 pairs are used so I built some simple splitters to break out the single pair I needed for the IR. The iTach port is pushing the signal down 100' of Cat5 with no issues and the emitter is cleanly placed right over the IR sensor on the face of the TV and not really noticable. I opted to use the iTach emitter instead of the Intelix simply because it does flash so I know I'm getting signal down the wire. The baluns are only designed to run 1080p down 130' of cable so that is as far as the IR I have tried but I've heard stories of guys going as far as 300' with no issues doing it this same way.

Good luck, and like I said, I'll be in London in 2 weeks if you want someone to play with/show off to!
post #389 of 9968 Old 01-12-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizell View Post

I'd be interested in how you send IR down an ethernet cable though. That would mean no blaster=PROFIT!

I just ran it straight down the cable. I literally took an iTach single head emitter, cut it in half, stripped the cable to the shield and single conductor wire and used a phone butt splice connector from Home Depot to connect to Cat 5. I only had 2 Cat 5 cables to the back of the TV and the HDMI Intelix baluns I had required both cables, but only 7 out of 8 pairs are used so I built some simple splitters to break out the single pair I needed for the IR. The iTach port is pushing the signal down 100' of Cat5 with no issues and the emitter is cleanly placed right over the IR sensor on the face of the TV and not really noticable. I opted to use the iTach emitter instead of the Intelix simply because it does flash so I know I'm getting signal down the wire. The baluns are only designed to run 1080p down 130' of cable so that is as far as the IR I have tried but I've heard stories of guys going as far as 300' with no issues doing it this same way.

Good luck, and like I said, I'll be in London in 2 weeks if you want someone to play with/show off to!

I think I got my 'wires' crossed! I though you had spilt an emitter and spilced it into a CAT5 cable which went into Ethernet on the back of the TV! I've used speaker cable to do the same thing to power a projector-I think it's about 20M with no problems.

Basically, I need to keep the setup looking completely hidden-no emittes. I'm wondering would http://www.irtrans.de/en/technicalinfo/lan.phpthis be able to do what I'm looking for-or should I just bite the bullet and get another blaster?

I had reall issue with getting the GC blaster down some conduit and ended up breaking it! Luckily the setup had an old Crestron one which I used.
post #390 of 9968 Old 01-12-2011, 03:17 PM

Sorry to double post, but this is a different subject matter.

Does anyone know what the easyest way to control lighting through iRule is?

I can get anything, I just need a recomendation please.

EDIT-Looking at the Lutron Maestro-seems to have codes in the DB and the pros recomend them-any thoughts.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Sharp Aquos , Lcd Hdtv , Receivers Amplifiers , Philips Pronto Tsu7000 The Intelligent Remote Control For Home Theater
Gear in this thread - Tsu7000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page