AVS Forum banner
967K views 12K replies 891 participants last post by  Dan in St. Louis 
#1 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrygordon /forum/post/19727379

aag,

Think of it as an itach but only with a single serial output. You would go directly from iRule to the "ethernet to serial converter" using TCPIP. The text you would send would be what you would have sent over the RS232 connection.

I just bought one of the ethernet to serial converters so I can play with it with my system. It is due in on Monday, so by Friday I should have it all figured out (If my ego does not get in the way, and I have some free time).

That's great! In this case, Barry, I will patiently wait until you report whether you get the whole contraption to work effectively and reliably!

I have no experience with ethernet-to-serial, but I tried ethernet-to-USB several times over the past 15 years, and things invariably ended with tears
. Hence I am particularly grateful that you go in first!

I am flying over to the West Coast in late January. I will try to have the boards and stuff shipped to my hotel, thus avoiding the immense postal and customs charges levied for shipping to the Alpine Republic where I live. Often, the charges exceed the value of the equipment!

See less See more
#304 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrygordon /forum/post/19797205

I know the Lexicon MC-1 had full RS232 operations as I still have one. I am almost positive I could read back the display. Unfortunately at this time iRule will do nothing with what it gets back. Didn't the DC-1 do the same thing?

RS232 was not implemented until the DC2. I implemented my own DC1 RS232 interface in 1999 using an 8751 micro and 4066 CMOS switches across the buttons I wanted to "push" remotely. Only used this for source selection as it was rather limited.

I also wired but never wrote the code to read back the source LEDs and send that out the RS232 port. They of course use a multiplexed array for the entire front panel so it's not as simple as just looking for voltage on the LED. I has to be timed with the scanning from the DC1 CPU.

#311 ·
Hello!

A few quick questions:

1) Is it possible to use the WOL feature of iRule as a separate command and not have it subsequently connecting to MCE Commander? What I would like to do is just power on my PC and then use the HTTP Gateway to control XBMC.

2) Is there something similar to the Logitech PS3 adapter for the Wii? Any other workaround for simply powering on the Wii using iRule (no additional controls needed in my case!)?

3) The Xtreamer Pro has an iPhone app which uses HTTP commands. Would it be possible include these commands in iRule the same way as with XBMC?

Thanks!

#312 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zellarman /forum/post/19798263

According to iTunes, the 2.2.1 software I'm running on my iPod touch is the latest software available, but when I try to download the iRule app, it says it's not compatible, and requires the iPhone 3.1.3 software. So how do I put "iPhone" software on my iPod?

There was a procedure required to update to 3.x. Google around and you'll find the answer. Updating to 4.x was handled by iTunes.

#313 ·
I would like to have a iRULE forum with sub-threads for specific issues, am I just blind or do we only have this big thread where we post everything?

Would like more sharing of ideas, every thing from GUI to technical... in sub threads so you easier can find what you look at... does anyone agree, or am I just a crazy person?

Steve Goff, like your buttons! keep up the good work!

I'm working on "intergrating" XBMC in iRule.

Have come so far that I can scroll the covers of my movie library, press to play. And a progressbar on current playing video/audio. Any one else done somthing with XBMC?

#315 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrygordon /forum/post/0

I know the Lexicon MC-1 had full RS232 operations as I still have one. I am almost positive I could read back the display. Unfortunately at this time iRule will do nothing with what it gets back. Didn't the DC-1 do the same thing?

Hi Barry wondering if you can help, I have created two remotes, what I have done is used the default panels direct tv and blue ray and amended some of the buttons to suit and they work fine the problem I'm facing is selecting between the two, instead of switching between the two on the same page I have to keep going back to the panel list to select either watch a movie or watch tv. Can you explain how I can select a device from a panel page?

#318 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrekk76 /forum/post/19801210

thanx ... planing to make it wow .. anyway

And hope to share with the rest of us how you incorporate xbmc into iRule. I have a Boxeebox, and I would love to see my movies gallery displayed in iRule.

#319 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunwilliam /forum/post/19801011

...the problem I'm facing is selecting between the two, instead of switching between the two on the same page I have to keep going back to the panel list to select either watch a movie or watch tv. Can you explain how I can select a device from a panel page?

Sounds like you want a link from one panel to the other. Check out the tutorial on links.

#320 ·
Shaun, I am not sure I understand your problem. In my setup I have one Panel, with a page for every major activity and some times 2 or more pages for an activity.

Have you set up "Links" which are buttons on a page that move you to any other page, but I beleieve may be restricted to a panel;. Since I only define a single panel it is of no concern to me. Each page has buttons on the left (links, with commands) that move to another major activity and issue commands to set that activity up. In the Theater for example moving to another activity generally requires the powering up of some source component and changing the AV Processors input.

#321 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrygordon /forum/post/0

Shaun, I am not sure I understand your problem. In my setup I have one Panel, with a page for every major activity and some times 2 or more pages for an activity.

Have you set up "Links" which are buttons on a page that move you to any other page, but I beleieve may be restricted to a panel;. Since I only define a single panel it is of no concern to me. Each page has buttons on the left (links, with commands) that move to another major activity and issue commands to set that activity up. In the Theater for example moving to another activity generally requires the powering up of some source component and changing the AV Processors input.

Cheers guys I believe i need to look into setting up links

#322 ·
Sorry guys if this is a repost but I'm starting to read from page 1 and now I'm on page 10 with a few pages here and there searching....

I have a Denon 3808 and also the Oppo BDP-83SE with the RS232 module installed.

I've tried to add the Denon via Network with a address of 198.162.000.107 which I entered manually on the Denon. iRule (on my iPad) looks OK as the error message does not display anymore but I still can not control volume or mute as that is what I programmed using the 14day builder tryout.

I was so set into buying the app (and GC gateways) but I thought I would try it out first and see if it could control the Denon through wired ethernet first. What am I doing wrong?

#323 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrekk76 /forum/post/19800375

Nothing nearly done! just a prof of concept..

I assume you are doing that with several webpage panels within the screen?

Have you created custom webpages to display in them, or are you displaying default screens from the web interface?

To the guy that wanted it to work in Boxee.

It's probably done the same, unless you have a Boxee Box, in which case most of the web interface has been removed !

For that reason I switched from a Boxee Box to XBMC.

#326 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH5200 /forum/post/0

I assume you are doing that with several webpage panels within the screen?

Have you created custom webpages to display in them, or are you displaying default screens from the web interface?

Yes I created some webpages done with the jsonrcp api, so it nothing more then JavaScript. And I cant say I'm all that good with js.