Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 9951 Old 01-15-2011, 05:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesculus View Post

Does the GC have an IR Blaster? If so its better to use that in your case rather than trying to get an emitter to the back of a dimmer (which is not a good idea to mix low voltage and high voltage in the same box). Just put it in the room pointing at the switches.

I will look a the GC documentation....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 9951 Old 01-15-2011, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can iRule be used to control a stack in a different room? If so, how?
Thanks
post #453 of 9951 Old 01-15-2011, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesculus View Post

Does the GC have an IR Blaster? If so its better to use that in your case rather than trying to get an emitter to the back of a dimmer (which is not a good idea to mix low voltage and high voltage in the same box). Just put it in the room pointing at the switches.

Good idea. It looks like Global Cache makes the GC-BL2 IR Blaster which transmits IR signals across a room up to 40 feet. But according to the GC-100-06 release notes, the IR blaster feature is only available in firmware version 3.0 and above. Currently I have firmware version 2.4-06. How can I update the firmware in my Global Cache GC-100-06 device?

http://www.globalcache.com/products/other/
post #454 of 9951 Old 01-15-2011, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYHomeTheater View Post

Can iRule be used to control a stack in a different room? If so, how?
Thanks

Uhhhhhhhhhh. Yes. Wifi to GC that's in the same room with the stack you wnat to control, or extend the emitter wires to where you need them.
post #455 of 9951 Old 01-15-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

It's been over 3 WEEKS since he posted. I'm getting a bad feeling.

Wondering about the same thing. Anyone hear from Itai outside this forum?

Jeff
post #456 of 9951 Old 01-15-2011, 08:14 AM

I spoke with Itai on the phone Tuesday evening. I don't believe there is anything to be concerned with.
post #457 of 9951 Old 01-15-2011, 08:44 AM

As of this posting Itai was last on the forums at "01-13-11 07:48 PM" He has been out but not posting.

The lack of "hey guys, I'm back but swamped with ____" or any Tweets on Twitter saying "I'm alive" has been a concern to me since I bought in December and am waiting till v2 to build interfaces as I have a ton of copy panels, etc that I need to do.

I am glad to hear that he is alive and well and hope he is just heads down on v2.0 so i can finally get what I need to implement the iRule at home. Maybe the good job the community is doing supporting each other is taking some of the load off of his plate.....which should mean good things to come!

Is anyone using the v2.0 Beta? Without spilling any beans about it (as I am sure Itai would not want that) I would just like to know that there is activity taking place.

Thanks and have a great Saturday!
post #458 of 9951 Old 01-15-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

I'm pretty sure what's happening is that you are managing to maintain the repeat code of the PS button continuously for the right period of time to trigger the shutdown process (same as with the real PS3 controller, PS must be held down for about 1 second).

The code for PS in the iRule database, combined with the repeat count defined for a single press, probably ends up taking slightly longer than your 0.4 second delay. So your next PS code is sent while the previous one is still executing, and this causes the GC gateway to simply reset the repeat count and keep repeating with no pause between the commands (that's a behaviour of the GC devices specifically designed to solve this kind of problem). If you increase the delay the code will no longer be continuous. If you reduce the delay it will be continuous but won't last long enough to trigger the shutdown unless you add another delay and another PS to the end of your sequence.

I think this is also relevant to the previous question about how to ramp the volume smoothly on a Yamaha receiver. The Yamaha needs to see a continuously repeated vol+ or vol- code to ramp the volume. There's logic in the receiver to do nothing for the first half second of holding the button, then it starts to ramp, slowly at first and then it accelerates (you can see that behaviour just by sending vol- once with a large repeat count).

With iRule you can make the vol+ and vol- buttons repeat on hold, and if you make the repeat rate shorter than the duration of each command (the duration being mainly controlled by the repeat count defined for the command), then the GC gateway should maintain a continuous output and trigger the logic in the receiver to ramp the volume.

The problem is when you let go of the button the last command still has to go through its repeat count before it stops, and if by this time the volume is ramping pretty fast you will overshoot significantly. If iRule could be made to send a "stopir" command when you release the button it would probably help. Otherwise the best you can do may be to set a small repeat count (probably 1) on the individual codes, and reduce the repeat on hold delay to match it. With a small repeat count and high repeat rate it may be harder to trigger the desired ramping behaviour, but if you can get the delay just right and make it work it shouldn't overshoot as much when you release the button.

This is a follow-up question for kriktsemaj99. I also have a Yamaha receiver (RX-V1) and would like to be able to 'ramp' volume by holding down a volume button. Can you please give an example of the list of codes/delays we should try on a button AND THE NEXT VERSION of codes/delays if the first doesn't work. I just need to have a better sense of how you are suggesting we test the strategy (need the second version to see how we modify the first version if the first version doesn't work)

Hope this makes sense!
post #459 of 9951 Old 01-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

It's been over 3 WEEKS since he posted. I'm getting a bad feeling.

Hi Everyone!

I apologize for being absent for so long. I have been taking care of some personal issues on top of the daily insanity of iRule.

Here is a brief update while I digest all of the new posts and catch up.

iRule - 2010
  • 2010 - we completed our first year of selling the producnt and thanks to you guys it has been amazing. I am personally humbled by our success and the entire experience. We finished the year on an incredibly strong note and January is looking even better. I attribute almost all of our growth to the members of this forum... thank you.
  • 2011 - I have been working on strengthening our solution on several fronts: dealers, software and support. More to come on each.
  • Software - We are working on several fronts to bring the iRule to additional platforms (yes that's you Android guys) as well as expand the capabilities to have some of the tight integration and control of things like iTunes and media center (other products as well). There will be an updated version to fix a few issues and include some minor additions to the app and Builder in the next week or so. Mainly, to support the iPad multi-tasking.
  • Website - I know many have been asking for a forum to better organize the incredible flow of information... its on the way.
  • Installers - while many on this forum do not need or use an installer, there has been a tremendous response from the professionals that install CE systems for a living and we are happy to have them serve the needs of our customers.

Itai

Did I mention we are flat to 11?
post #460 of 9951 Old 01-15-2011, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 168
The VCR code selection is very sparse. I guess nobody cares about VHS anymore but I have a large library of DVHS tapes.

Any clues as to where I can find device codes for Pannasonic, JVC and Mitsubishi?

TIA

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #461 of 9951 Old 01-15-2011, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

So how do I send strings from a GC100 serial port to an unsupported device? I need to make an "I-Rule device" to control my existing home built DOS HT control platform. I set up that device to accept touch screen key numbers from a serial port - tested and work fine driving it from Hyperterminal. So I got the hard DOS C and assembly code stuff done.

Now for I-Rule:

The string I devised is [Ctrl A, ASCII key number (up to 3 bytes), carriage return]

So to send key #223 to the DOS HT controller would I send this via the CG100 under the HEX CODES, DATA under on Irule? 0x1,2,2,3,0xD Note the commas are not part of my command. Do need them for Irule? I can add them to the DOS device if needed.

Glimmie's HT Page

post #462 of 9951 Old 01-15-2011, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by snodric View Post

This is a follow-up question for kriktsemaj99. I also have a Yamaha receiver (RX-V1) and would like to be able to 'ramp' volume by holding down a volume button. Can you please give an example of the list of codes/delays we should try on a button AND THE NEXT VERSION of codes/delays if the first doesn't work. I just need to have a better sense of how you are suggesting we test the strategy (need the second version to see how we modify the first version if the first version doesn't work)

I assume you're using infrared, and you already have codes that are working for VOLUME UP and VOLUME DOWN (they're in the iRule database). Also are you using some sort of Global Cache gateway? I haven't had time yet to experiment with this myself (and I don't have a GC gateway), but I would start with:

command repetition = 3 (that's the default, which you can see by clicking on the VOLUME UP or VOLUME DOWN command and looking at properties).

Then on your volume up/down buttons, set "repeat on hold" to yes, and repeat every 0.1 sec.

Try holding volume up or down (better to do this with nothing playing) and one of two things should happen:
1) The volume just goes up or down slowly.
2) It ramps in a smooth and accelerating way just like when using the original remote.

If 1), try repeat every 0.05 sec (you can enter this even if it doesn't show up as 0.05). Test again. If still not ramping, either reduce the repeat on hold interval a bit more (e.g. 0.04 or 0.03) or increase the command repetition (e.g. from 3 to 5). If you get it ramping but it overshoots too much, try reducing both the command repetition number and the repeat on hold interval.

If you can't get this working, the next best thing is to use the 6 volume memories (which I assume the RX-V1 has, but I don't know for sure). There are codes for VOLUME MEMORY 1 to 6 and VOLUME RECALL 1 to 6. So you can set up 6 buttons that instantly select (for example) -40, -35, -30, -25, -20, -15, -10dB. With that you wouldn't really need to make big changes by holding down a button.
post #463 of 9951 Old 01-15-2011, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

The string I devised is [Ctrl A, ASCII key number (up to 3 bytes), carriage return]

So to send key #223 to the DOS HT controller would I send this via the CG100 under the HEX CODES, DATA under on Irule? 0x1,2,2,3,0xD Note the commas are not part of my command. Do need them for Irule? I can add them to the DOS device if needed.

You enter the strings under Network Codes (Hex codes are for infrared), then iRule will send them exactly as you enter them. Non-printing characters are entered as \\x followed by two hex digits. So you would want:

\\x01223\\x0d
post #464 of 9951 Old 01-15-2011, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You enter the strings under Network Codes (Hex codes are for infrared), then iRule will send them exactly as you enter them. Non-printing characters are entered as \\x followed by two hex digits. So you would want:

\\x01223\\x0d

Thanks! And here's a typing tip I did. Instead of entering up to 500 device codes for 500 touch keys I just made device codes for CTRL A, 0-9, and CR. So I just build the command under the I-Rule key. Sure it takes longer to send the command this way but it avoids the trouble of a huge device code file. And at 38K baud, the additional command send time is nil.

Glimmie's HT Page

post #465 of 9951 Old 01-15-2011, 11:20 AM

I've managed to set the GC-100-6 unit to a specific IP Address (10.0.1.26) but when I run New Gateway on the iRule IPAD the GC is not found. I can find 10.0.1.26 on the LAN with Firefox and verify the GC's IP settings.

Looking for more ideas.

Thanks, Rich
post #466 of 9951 Old 01-15-2011, 11:27 AM

Liked: 11
Directv control:

I have been using http control via iRule for my Directv stbs for several weeks now. Then yesterday, all of a sudden, they stopped working, though all relevant signals continue to flash green. I rebooted everything, uninstalled and reinstalled gateways, verified all ip addresses (all static), no joy. I have HR 20's and 22's and all are affected. Any thoughts? LAN is working great.
post #467 of 9951 Old 01-15-2011, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Gibson View Post

I've managed to set the GC-100-6 unit to a specific IP Address (10.0.1.26) but when I run New Gateway on the iRule IPAD the GC is not found.

There should be a button marked Skip that stops the search for the gateway and lets you type in the IP address manually.
post #468 of 9951 Old 01-15-2011, 12:08 PM

Thanks. I am trying to figure out how to use an iPad to control projector and light dimmers in same room (IR) as well. IPad does not have IR and putting a GC for dimmers is not aesthetic. Not sure how to do this
post #469 of 9951 Old 01-15-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:

There should be a button marked Skip that stops the search for the gateway and lets you type in the IP address manually.

Thanks, I'm one step closer. I did that and matched the gateway with the devices. I clicked on the panel and it searched for the gateway and the search notice quickly went out (assuming that meant it found it as it's stayed on and notified me of a failure every time so far). I checked back with the GC's IP and it showed the same IP. I then changed a value of sensor, hit apply and went to another site. When I re-entered the URL I got the GC and the sensor setting I changed. No type of sensor worked. One anomaly is one of the sensors is illuminated at all times.

Next questions; what to try next and what should be sensor type be? I tried all and none worked.
post #470 of 9951 Old 01-15-2011, 12:43 PM

Is it possible to move a page from one panel to another?
post #471 of 9951 Old 01-15-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnelson Young View Post

Directv control:

I have been using http control via iRule for my Directv stbs for several weeks now. Then yesterday, all of a sudden, they stopped working, though all relevant signals continue to flash green. I rebooted everything, uninstalled and reinstalled gateways, verified all ip addresses (all static), no joy. I have HR 20's and 22's and all are affected. Any thoughts? LAN is working great.

Check the gateway entry again. I had the port number get dropped from mine once and it took me a while to notice.
post #472 of 9951 Old 01-15-2011, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

IR codes needed.

I tried to learn a bunch of sherwood new castle cd player codes today. i had 50 50 luck. I can't get the disk button and the numbers on the controller to learn so we can switch disks. play and the others work well. it was a tough remote to learn.

does anyone know where i can get ir codes for the sherwood new castle cdc-690t

it's the only cd player they have.

thanks,
jim
post #473 of 9951 Old 01-15-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwade913 View Post

Check the gateway entry again. I had the port number get dropped from mine once and it took me a while to notice.

Checked ports on all boxes bwade and they are all 8080
post #474 of 9951 Old 01-15-2011, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zellarman View Post

Is it possible to move a page from one panel to another?

The actual feature will be to copy a Page from Panel to Panel, not move. If you want to move the Page you need the additional step of deleting the old Page after the Copy is complete.

This functionality will come in an update to the Builder in the next two weeks.

Itai

post #475 of 9951 Old 01-15-2011, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks! And here's a typing tip I did. Instead of entering up to 500 device codes for 500 touch keys I just made device codes for CTRL A, 0-9, and CR. So I just build the command under the I-Rule key. Sure it takes longer to send the command this way but it avoids the trouble of a huge device code file. And at 38K baud, the additional command send time is nil.

If you do want to add many codes, keep in mind that you can upload the device file as an XML which can be edited offline for quicker data entry.

Itai

post #476 of 9951 Old 01-15-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubesys View Post

The actual feature will be to copy a Page from Panel to Panel, not move. If you want to move the Page you need the additional step of deleting the old Page after the Copy is complete.

This functionality will come in an update to the Builder in the next two weeks.

Great! An awesome program gets even better!
post #477 of 9951 Old 01-15-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnelson Young View Post

Checked ports on all boxes bwade and they are all 8080

Can you control your HR2X box from a browser? Try this just change the IP.

http://sillysot.com/dtvtest/?ip=192.168.1.64

Love this app by the way since I have my laptop on most of the time I watch TV. But at least it will tell you if it is iRule or your HR2X box, my guess it is the box.
post #478 of 9951 Old 01-15-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:

The VCR code selection is very sparse. I guess nobody cares about VHS anymore but I have a large library of DVHS tapes.

Any clues as to where I can find device codes for Pannasonic, JVC and Mitsubishi?

TIA

I would suggest searchin at remotecentral.com. They have the most compehensive hex listings.
post #479 of 9951 Old 01-15-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone00 View Post

Can you control your HR2X box from a browser? Try this just change the IP.

http://sillysot.com/dtvtest/?ip=192.168.1.64

Love this app by the way since I have my laptop on most of the time I watch TV. But at least it will tell you if it is iRule or your HR2X box, my guess it is the box.

Tried sillysot and was able to control an hr 22, but none of the other stbs which are hr 20s. So you're suggesting the 20 is the problem? Wonder why now after so long? New software?
post #480 of 9951 Old 01-15-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:

I assume you're using infrared, and you already have codes that are working for VOLUME UP and VOLUME DOWN (they're in the iRule database). Also are you using some sort of Global Cache gateway? I haven't had time yet to experiment with this myself (and I don't have a GC gateway), but I would start with:

command repetition = 3 (that's the default, which you can see by clicking on the VOLUME UP or VOLUME DOWN command and looking at properties).

Then on your volume up/down buttons, set "repeat on hold" to yes, and repeat every 0.1 sec.

Try holding volume up or down (better to do this with nothing playing) and one of two things should happen:
1) The volume just goes up or down slowly.
2) It ramps in a smooth and accelerating way just like when using the original remote.

If 1), try repeat every 0.05 sec (you can enter this even if it doesn't show up as 0.05). Test again. If still not ramping, either reduce the repeat on hold interval a bit more (e.g. 0.04 or 0.03) or increase the command repetition (e.g. from 3 to 5). If you get it ramping but it overshoots too much, try reducing both the command repetition number and the repeat on hold interval.

If you can't get this working, the next best thing is to use the 6 volume memories (which I assume the RX-V1 has, but I don't know for sure). There are codes for VOLUME MEMORY 1 to 6 and VOLUME RECALL 1 to 6. So you can set up 6 buttons that instantly select (for example) -40, -35, -30, -25, -20, -15, -10dB. With that you wouldn't really need to make big changes by holding down a button.

Just wanted to say THANK YOU! Used your clear and detailed instructions and got the Yamaha volume ramping 'relatively' smoothly. I changed the repetition to '9' on the properties of volume up and down in the device and left the repeat at '0.1'. It's not completely smooth, but I think that that is more a function of the inherent delay of the ir signal between repeats.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Sharp Aquos , Lcd Hdtv , Receivers Amplifiers , Philips Pronto Tsu7000 The Intelligent Remote Control For Home Theater
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page