Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 9951 Old 01-17-2011, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

Are you sure all those devices support RS-232? (if not I can check if you list the exact model numbers). Also, since you were also asking about smooth volume ramping using IR on the Yamaha, note that RS-232 control will not give you this (the receiver doesn't not have any special logic to handle repeated RS-232 commands, so it won't behave the same as repeating an IR command).

The equipment is :
Yamaha RX-V1 (receiver)
Onkyo NR-808 (receiver)
Motorola DCT3416 (dual tuner dvr)
LG lcd television (for sure has rs232 connection but hard to get at back of tv right now...).
Grandview projector screen (rs232 to raise and lower screen)

I know I can control all of these reasonably effectively with ir, but I'm trying to figure out how to have two-way control (maybe it's not that important to have two-way control? maybe I need to wait and see what the next iteration of irule comes out with?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 9951 Old 01-17-2011, 06:51 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zellarman View Post

Just did this similiar setup myself, it's great, and the best part, my wife is finally beginning to see the light!
My question is, can you do this for more than one DirecTV stb? How? I tried, and it kind of worked, you can enter a separate IP on two different panels, and they function to the two different addressed boxes, until you exit iRule and re-enter, then both assume the last entered IP, I guess it's a browser issue, or something like that. Maybe someone knows, or Itai?

According to the Sillysot site, you should be able to control more than 1 DVR with a browser so it should work with iRule too. Try this: Create 2 diff panels with different URLs that contain the different IP addresses for the DVRs. For example, in panel 1 use http://sillysot.com/dtvtest/?ip=192.168.1.121 and in panel 2 use //sillysot.com/dtvtest/?ip=192.168.1.122 where 121 and 122 correspond to the static addresses on your 2 dvrs. When you exit and re-enter iRule it should work.
Jim
post #543 of 9951 Old 01-17-2011, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Cubed View Post

...I think I also saw you saying that volume up and down wont ramp up or down using RS232? So I would have to press volume up or down a ton of times to dial the volume up or down!?

I'm starting to think that IR is the way to go for this Yamaha receiver...

What happens with RS-232 when you hold volume up/down (assuming it's set to repeat on hold) is that it will increase or decrease at a fairly slow and constant rate. It doesn't mimic the IR behaviour where holding the button makes a single change at first, then after about half a second it starts ramping slowly and gets progressively faster.

But you can solve that in a few ways. e.g. buttons to go directly to preset volume levels, or buttons that automatically execute a sequence of vol up/down commands so that the volume changes by a few dB at a time. Or you can use IR for volume up/down and RS-232 for everything else if you want to, that's no problem.
post #544 of 9951 Old 01-17-2011, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snodric View Post

The equipment is :
Yamaha RX-V1 (receiver)
Onkyo NR-808 (receiver)
LG lcd television (for sure has rs232 connection but hard to get at back of tv right now...).

I know I can control all of these reasonably effectively with ir, but I'm trying to figure out how to have two-way control (maybe it's not that important to have two-way control? maybe I need to wait and see what the next iteration of irule comes out with?)

A big factor is whether you can easily see the front panel displays of your equipment (especially receiver and DVD/BD player). If you can, two-way control is not so important. For me the equipment is behind me, so it's a big plus to use RS-232 which supports feedback for things such as volume and the amount of time a movie has been playing.
post #545 of 9951 Old 01-17-2011, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnelson Young View Post

Even if I am not signed up for home networking(or whatever it is called) via Directv?
My network hitting on all cylinders, supporting 18 hosts; only hr 20s are not working.

I would guess so. Did you try it?
post #546 of 9951 Old 01-17-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:

A big factor is whether you can easily see the front panel displays of your equipment (especially receiver and DVD/BD player). If you can, two-way control is not so important. For me the equipment is behind me, so it's a big plus to use RS-232 which supports feedback for things such as volume and the amount of time a movie has been playing.

I'm putting all of my equipment in the 'furnace' room so it will be out of sight. That is why I was thinking rs232 would be useful (for the feedback). Is there a way of running all of these devices by rs232 (itach or otherwise)?
post #547 of 9951 Old 01-17-2011, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snodric View Post

The equipment is :
Yamaha RX-V1 (receiver)
Onkyo NR-808 (receiver)

As far as I can tell after a quick search (and someone else may know better):
  • The RX-V1 can use RS-232.
  • The NR-808 should support direct network control or RS-232.
  • The DCT3416 has no RS-232, and I'm not sure if it supports network control.
  • The LG TV may support RS-232 control (but sometimes the RS-232 is for other purposes). What's the model number?
  • The projector screen may have a trigger input, and your Onkyo has a trigger output that could likely do the job.
Typically the DVR is going to display info on your TV screen, so IR control is good enough. For the others you'll have to decide if there's information you want to see in your hand on the iPhone that won't be shown on the TV screen. You might be fine with just IR (and network control of the Onkyo won't need a gateway as it's built in).
post #548 of 9951 Old 01-17-2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

bump

Sounds like attempting to stack image layers (background, then "inset", then button), but the limit with iRule is 1 background with 1 layer of buttons per panel.

One approach is a custom background image where the appearance of an inset for each button is simply a part of the image. Lots of previous posts show elaborate examples of doing that.

Another approach is to create custom buttons with the "inset" as part of that image, but then the button-press highlighting would show outside of the inset. The default buttons use this method to give appearance of button-hole edges, which the sample button image files show (found in iRule/Support/Downloads).
post #549 of 9951 Old 01-18-2011, 12:56 AM

Hi I am new to iRule and have these major question:

1. I need to control 3 rooms (tv+ direct tv DVR + ...) Do I need to buy 3 global cache getaways, is there a way I can get one and somehow extend the IR to 3 rooms, if yes how
2. Is there a way iRule could be designed to show the tv guide on the iPad for instance like how command fusion does it, or a video playlist?

Thank you!!
post #550 of 9951 Old 01-18-2011, 03:49 AM

Quote:

What happens with RS-232 when you hold volume up/down (assuming it's set to repeat on hold) is that it will increase or decrease at a fairly slow and constant rate. It doesn't mimic the IR behaviour where holding the button makes a single change at first, then after about half a second it starts ramping slowly and gets progressively faster.

But you can solve that in a few ways. e.g. buttons to go directly to preset volume levels, or buttons that automatically execute a sequence of vol up/down commands so that the volume changes by a few dB at a time. Or you can use IR for volume up/down and RS-232 for everything else if you want to, that's no problem.

I've noticed that my Onkyo amp behaves similarly-it seems to take a while to get going. So, in order to have the same kind of behaviour as a real remote do I have to use IR?

I experimented and put the repeat duriation down to 0.1 and it was much more responsive, however, it was very sunstable and kept sending repeats until the voulme went all the way to the top.

I've had this once or twice before with the default value, and it is not good. If I use IR will this not happen?
post #551 of 9951 Old 01-18-2011, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheframzi View Post

Hi I am new to iRule and have these major question:

1. I need to control 3 rooms (tv+ direct tv DVR + ...) Do I need to buy 3 global cache getaways, is there a way I can get one and somehow extend the IR to 3 rooms, if yes how
2. Is there a way iRule could be designed to show the tv guide on the iPad for instance like how command fusion does it, or a video playlist?

Thank you!!

I have done this with my Onkyo 808-using IP. You do it by having each zone as a seperate device in the builder.

It could be seen as either good or bad, but zone 1 can't control zone 2. I underdstand that if you want to do that you need an iTach.
post #552 of 9951 Old 01-18-2011, 04:03 AM

[LAST POST]

I have a really bad issue with overscan at the moment with a Mitsubshi Projector that is cutting my screen off.

Just got of the phone to a very knowledgeable guy at Mitsubishi who has sent me ALL the codes.

I'm too much of a nOOb to make out what it's telling me to do-I'd be very happy of some assistance.

He has given me ASCI codes which are intended to be sent from the serial of a PC to the serial of the

The following is the command to turn over scan up to 100%. How do I import this into the builder-through HEX?

Chatacter ASCI Data
VOS 56h 4Fh 53h - 10

I've tried using the following but it dosn't even register on the projectors emitter

56h fFh 53h 20h 31h 30h

I've put it in the hex codes section-does it need to be in the database part? Do I need a carriage return?
post #553 of 9951 Old 01-18-2011, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I'm going to be running an ethernet cable from my router to my Directv HR21 box for IP control. I will be using the iTach device for my other components. The HR21 has an ethernet "in" and an ethernet "out" (see image) Can I connect the iTach device to the ethernet "out" port on the back of the HR21 or does it need to be plugged into its own port on the back of the router?

Attachment 198357
post #554 of 9951 Old 01-18-2011, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudCrow View Post

I experimented and put the repeat duriation down to 0.1 and it was much more responsive, however, it was very sunstable and kept sending repeats until the voulme went all the way to the top.

I've had this once or twice before with the default value, and it is not good. If I use IR will this not happen?

IR remotes typically repeat a code continuously while you hold down a button, so the device being controlled is designed to handle this. In the case of volume, when you try to press a button just once it may actually repeat several times (the iRule default is 3 times), but it doesn't increase the volume by several steps because the receiver is designed to ignore repeats for a short period after the initial code is seen.

The other part of the picture is that the IR gateway (if it's a GC device) treats repeats in a special way. If it's still outputting a vol+ IR code when a new vol+ comes in from iRule, it just resets the repeat count of the current command and then discards the new one. This is important to avoid a whole lot of commands queueing up and then continuing to increase the volume after you release the button.

RS-232 (or IP) commands don't have the concept of repeating, and the gateway queues up everything that iRule sends it and eventually delivers those commands to the receiver, possibly long after you release the button. So I think the best you can do with RS-232 is set the repeat on hold interval long enough to get a slow ramp that doesn't get out of control. And also look for discrete RS-232 commands to set the volume directly to specific values, and make buttons for those if they exist for your device.

With IR I managed to make iRule ramp the volume just like my original remote when holding a button. Maybe there's a tiny bit more overshoot, but you soon get used to it.
post #555 of 9951 Old 01-18-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:

IR remotes typically repeat a code continuously while you hold down a button, so the device being controlled is designed to handle this. In the case of volume, when you try to press a button just once it may actually repeat several times (the iRule default is 3 times), but it doesn't increase the volume by several steps because the receiver is designed to ignore repeats for a short period after the initial code is seen.

The other part of the picture is that the IR gateway (if it's a GC device) treats repeats in a special way. If it's still outputting a vol+ IR code when a new vol+ comes in from iRule, it just resets the repeat count of the current command and then discards the new one. This is important to avoid a whole lot of commands queueing up and then continuing to increase the volume after you release the button.

RS-232 (or IP) commands don't have the concept of repeating, and the gateway queues up everything that iRule sends it and eventually delivers those commands to the receiver, possibly long after you release the button. So I think the best you can do with RS-232 is set the repeat on hold interval long enough to get a slow ramp that doesn't get out of control. And also look for discrete RS-232 commands to set the volume directly to specific values, and make buttons for those if they exist for your device.

With IR I managed to make iRule ramp the volume just like my original remote when holding a button. Maybe there's a tiny bit more overshoot, but you soon get used to it.

Some really usful stuff in that post-thanks.

In controlling my Onkyo TX-NR808 by Ethernet (IP), in one of my set ups I'm using a GC, so I may send the volume to the IR.

PS-When you say overshoot what do you mean?
post #556 of 9951 Old 01-18-2011, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Small question came to mind while mindlessly going through the myriad of info in this thread: There is only one connection at a time allowed on a Global Cache GC-100 device, so how would one terminate that connection to allow control from another room? If my kids leave something on in the basement and I want to do an all off command, how would I override any connection that was being used? I haven't eliminated an iTach but it would be nice to have RS-232 and IR in one unit.
post #557 of 9951 Old 01-18-2011, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have my computer setup through IP and I was wondering if there is a way to tell me what song is playing or movie that is playing on my ipad?
post #558 of 9951 Old 01-18-2011, 07:08 AM

^ Do you mean for your ipad to tell you what song the PC is playing?

I'm interested in media management stuff with irule.
post #559 of 9951 Old 01-18-2011, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

PS-When you say overshoot what do you mean?

I mean when you release a volume button after holding it, the volume will continue to change for a short while. But even with the original IR remote, if you get the volume changing really fast and release the button exactly at your intended volume, it will overshoot a little. So you learn to release the button just short of the target volume in anticipation of the slight overshoot.
post #560 of 9951 Old 01-18-2011, 07:33 AM

^ I think overshoot is better than the button getting stuck and the volume continuing until you exit iRule,

well, that's it for me, from now on I will be using IR for volume every time.
post #561 of 9951 Old 01-18-2011, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

^ Do you mean for your ipad to tell you what song the PC is playing?

I'm interested in media management stuff with irule.

Yes I would like 2 way control
post #562 of 9951 Old 01-18-2011, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekkoville View Post

Small question came to mind while mindlessly going through the myriad of info in this thread: There is only one connection at a time allowed on a Global Cache GC-100 device, so how would one terminate that connection to allow control from another room? If my kids leave something on in the basement and I want to do an all off command, how would I override any connection that was being used? I haven't eliminated an iTach but it would be nice to have RS-232 and IR in one unit.

I'd like to see iRule handle this case, because it's not just a GC issue. Plenty of new devices with built in IP control only support one connection. As I've said before iRule could easily have an option to close a connection after a short idle period, and only reopen it when it next needs to send a command.

Closing and reopening TCP connections is very fast (and maintaining a constant connection could still be the default behaviour). Certain kinds of device feedback would get lost if iRule disconnected, but that's not as bad as it sounds. For example, when you change volume or inputs you'd still get the feedback, because iRule wouldn't disconnect immediatley. And for other feedback that's completely asynchronous, you can still press a button to inquire the current value.

You might create a special INFO page, and when you go to that page you've defined an entrance that automatically sends a bunch of query commands, and all the feedback items on that page get updated. Two seconds later iRule could disconnect from the device (or gateway) and allow another iPhone to use it.
post #563 of 9951 Old 01-18-2011, 08:06 AM

BUMP-

Can anyone help me turn this code into pronto/GC format please- I have no idea what to do.

Chatacter ASCI Data
VOS 56h 4Fh 53h - 10

I'm using this utility,http://home2.paulschou.net/tools/xlate/ but realy don't know what I'm doing. I guess this is the part that seperates the boys from the men.
post #564 of 9951 Old 01-18-2011, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

That looks like an RS-232 or IP code, in which case you can't automatically convert it to IR. You need to find the proper IR code.
post #565 of 9951 Old 01-18-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayW View Post

I would guess so. Did you try it?

I did try it and it worked! Thanks.
post #566 of 9951 Old 01-18-2011, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Its much more than if you can see the panels. For example to watch a movie on my system I have to:
  • Turn on the BluRay player
  • Turn on the AMP
  • Wait 5 seconds and then select the inputs etc
  • Turn on the TV
  • Wait 15 seconds for it to power up
  • Select the TV input for the AMP
If I try to make any of these settings before the equipment is ready the commands will just be ignored.

Now if any of these items are already on I don't need the same delays. Today I have to wait in my scripts because I don't know state. For IR I will never know state.

Even the IR based solutions that have a server still don't fix this because anytime you have another device (an IR Remote for example) that can bypass the server you are now out of sync.

So we either build solutions for the worst case scenario (all devices are assumed off for example) or get some form of feedback from two way devices and have a branching script logic in iRule.

Chris
post #567 of 9951 Old 01-18-2011, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

So today you assume everything is off and use discrete ON commands with fixed delays, and it takes you about 20 seconds to power everything up? That doesn't seem too bad. I'm really not sure if iRule v2.0 with feedback is going to let you branch according to feedback from devices, but Itai is the man to ask. For one thing, some devices probably won't send any feedback when they are off, which complicates things (you would have to recognize a timeout, rather than simply look at the feedback value).
post #568 of 9951 Old 01-18-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppakap View Post

http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/sa...t=190&start=90
I'm still frustrated that I can't use iRule to control my Samsung TV via IP.

Anyone think it is possible to create IP commands for iRule from the program in the link?

Samygo is open-source replacement firmware for your 2009 (NOT 2010) Samsung model. It's based on source code released by Samsung.

You might be able to determine how to control it over IP by examining either the Samygo source code or the original source code.

You will have to do this yourself. The authors of iRule don't seem to want to deal with Samsung IP control unless a specification is handed them on a silver platter.
post #569 of 9951 Old 01-18-2011, 12:31 PM

Ok, I'm making progress with my codes. Using iLearn I've figured out that I need to have a "gaps" of at least 3 for my Pioneer VSX-920-K. The problem is that I have to learn all of the commands so I don't end up with some of the discrete codes such as Power On. All I can get is Power Toggle.

Now, I have the spreadsheet of HEX codes from Pioneer for my specific model but they don't match what's getting learned. Not even close really.

Is there a way to take what's being learned and somehow go backwards to what's in the spreadsheet so I can then figure out what I need for the discrete Power On type inputs?

Scott - Just planning now
post #570 of 9951 Old 01-18-2011, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

BitBass, doesn't the Pioneer 920-k do IP? IP is much better and easier than RS232. I did all the work for iRule to control an 1120-k over IP and I think the 920-K is just a subset.

Go to my web site (www.the-gordons.net) and download the appropriate version of the TCPIP xplorer (Win7 or XP). It is all there.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Sharp Aquos , Lcd Hdtv , Receivers Amplifiers , Philips Pronto Tsu7000 The Intelligent Remote Control For Home Theater
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page