iRule - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 9945 Old 12-30-2010, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My collection is about 500 titles. The mkv's are taking on the average 15 minutes apiece to convert and clean up the folder. I just let it run 24/7 minimized as it records any issues.

By the way the TCPIP explorer on my web site does have the files for xbmc dharma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 9945 Old 12-30-2010, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
OK, I'm in on trying this out. We have a very extensive Pronto setup in our home (9800, 9600, 9400s and several Pronto extenders in several rooms included our dedicated HT). Purchased the application/license and one Global Chache extender and will try out in out family room setup (in parallel with our Pronto). Should be interesting. Lots of Apple devices in our family. Interesting as my son asked me he other day why he couldn't control our setup with his phone..... SJ
post #33 of 9945 Old 12-31-2010, 12:48 AM

Liked: 10
Quick question:

Is it possible to download the source file for a device from the builder to my local computer?

There is currently a "Zone2" network file in the device list for my Onkyo receiver, but there is no Zone3 file. It should be easy for me to modify the Zone2 file to be Zone3, but I need the source file...

Thanks,
--Carey
post #34 of 9945 Old 12-31-2010, 04:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I have all the codes for all of my components in hex format in PPENG. Is there any way to use those codes in any way, shape, or form, in iRule?
post #35 of 9945 Old 12-31-2010, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrygordon View Post

Right now I am a little busy converting all my movies to MKV files (Automated process)

That's cool. What are you using to create MKV files?

Richard
post #36 of 9945 Old 12-31-2010, 08:41 AM

Liked: 20
Itai, any chance we could get blank images for the large odd shaped volume buttons that are in the "common" library? i don't see them anywhere on the downloads page of the website.

post #37 of 9945 Old 12-31-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

Is the license locked to the PC or is it locked to my google account? I want to be able to work on the builder app on seperate PCs at work and home. Naturally I don't want to buy mulltiple licenses.

Google account
post #38 of 9945 Old 12-31-2010, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Does anyone know how iRule compares with Crestron Mobil Pro G?
post #39 of 9945 Old 12-31-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU View Post

That's cool. What are you using to create MKV files?

I'm not Barry but MakeMKV is a great one.
post #40 of 9945 Old 12-31-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

Do you know if the raw TCP interface supports more than one connection at a time? Many recent devices with direct TCP control only seem to support a single connection. The new Yamahas then disconnnect automatically after an idle period, to prevent one TCP client hogging it. This won't be great with iRule currently, because it doesn't just quietly reconnect when it needs to.

Wow... Is this a showstopper for IP control of my Yamaha RX-A1000 via iRule? Has anyone set this up/tested? And if so, what is the TCP port?
post #41 of 9945 Old 12-31-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:

I can see how the immediate automatic reconnection would useful in some cases. On the other hand it seems some manufacturers (such as Yamaha with their current RX-A series) are deliberately closing the connection after it's been idle for a while, and you could take advantage of that to allow some kind of sharing without asking the user to buy extra hardware.

BTW I have the network command protocol for the new Yamaha receivers and I can post it if anyone needs it. It's something new to the x67 and A series, and simpler than they used on their earlier network receivers.

Do you also have the TCP port for the RX-A series?
post #42 of 9945 Old 12-31-2010, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I posted the Yamaha x67 and A-series docs here. The default TCP port number is 50000.
post #43 of 9945 Old 12-31-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:

i posted the yamaha x67 and a-series docs here. The default tcp port number is 50000.

thank you
post #44 of 9945 Old 12-31-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd_cooke View Post

thank you

Hi anyone know how far the ir immiters can be placed from the source
post #45 of 9945 Old 01-01-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunwilliam View Post

Hi anyone know how far the ir immiters can be placed from the source

From Global Cache:

"Yes, our iTach units will support multiple split emitters. We recommend that when using split emitters, that they be of the non-blinking variety, as this will vastly increase the power used to send the command, and will therefore help to ensure signal integrity. Our hardware supports any standard mono-jack type emitter such as Xantech or similar. If you are intending to extend your emitter cables, we recommend splicing into CAT5 or the like so that you can run the extra length. You should have no problem transmitting commands up over 100 feet. Please let us know if you have any further questions, or run into any problems during installation."

Richard
post #46 of 9945 Old 01-01-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner View Post

Does anyone know how iRule compares with Crestron Mobil Pro G?

I have some experience to share with you. My home automation system is about 5 years old and includes a Crestron CP2E, PAD8 and PVID8 for theater control and whole house audio. An HAI OmniPro II does security, lights thermostats.

A couple of months ago, I contacted my original installer about some minor upgrades. He is no longer a Crestron dealer and told me to checkout iRule, which I did. His proposal was to replace the crestron equipment with shinybow audio and video matrix switches and to go with an iRule on ipads.

I did purchase the irule licence and played around with it a lot, especially my Directv and Roku devices, which are ip controllable.

In the end, I found a Crestron programmer, who made some changes to my setup and got me rolling on the Crestron Mobile program. I didn't want to just throw away all that I had invested.

There are actually 4 Crestron idevice products, Mobile, Mobile G, Mobile Pro and Mobile G Pro. The Pro programs are $99 and the others are free. My programmer told me to just get the free version. Mobile G and Mobile G Pro are for the Ipad only, while Mobile and Mobile Pro will work on the iphone, ipod touch and ipad.

My programmer also said that the CP2e only has enough memory to serve up about 10 pages to the iphone, so I could not get all the same pages that I have on my TPMC-8x's (the crestron touchpad remotes). The Crestron Pro II processor has more memory, so if you have that processor, you can get more pages onto your iPad.

So if you have a setup like mine and you want an extra remote, you could get an ipad for around $500 and pay a couple hundred to a programmer and have a partial solution. Or you can now get a new TPMC-8x for about $700 on ebay, pay a programmer to hook it up and get a complete new remote. Of course with the ipad, you can do all kinds of other stuff besides just control your home. The ipad's batterys probably last a lot longer, too.

With iRule you would be moving to a more "open" platform where there is much less vendor lockin. It is more of a DIY system, although I am sure there are or will be professional installers. Irule is currently one-way control, although 2 way control is in beta testing. Irule does not currently support my HAI Omnipro II system, but they told me that they will in the future.

If you are looking for a new system, I would definitely skip Crestron, AMX, elan, etc. The trend is certainly towards more open systems. If you are reluctant to give up an existing Crestron, the mobile products can be part of the solution.

Another option is a product called Command Fusion. This is similar to iRule but is more expensive and you are supposed to use a professional designer and installer. CF, like iRule can use the Global Cache iTach devices to do IP to serial/IR. CF has 2 way communication and has modules for Crestron and AMX. According to their website, you can get a lot more pages of control on your iPad compared to the Crestron Mobile because of the way their technology works. Crestron "serves" the pages from the controller, while commandfussion pages are are stored on you ipad and only the button press command is transmitted. So you can get many more pages and much better graphics. I didn't go this route, because my Crestron installer has never used CF and I didn't want to pay him to learn this new program.
post #47 of 9945 Old 01-01-2011, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I am using MakeMKV to do the work. I wrote a program that scans through the NAS looking for movies. When it finds one it determines if it is BR or DVD (Since I ripped to iso format, the BR movies have a BDMV folder and the DVD movie's have a Video_TS.ifo file)

The NAS is orgainized with a Share named Movies, and each movie is in a share's subfolder named with the title of the movie. The program, after having MakeMKV convert the movie file erases all the other stuff since I never use it. If MakeMKV makes multiple movie files (This happens if there are multiple angles in the original DVD file) I only keep the first one and none of the others.

What I end up with are four files in the movie folder. The Movie_Title.mkv file, a movie.nof file, a folder.jpg file and a fanart.jpg file. The last three files are for XBMC.

Hope that explains it. If you want a copy of the program let me know, but you will need to tell me how your NAS is organized and what algorithm the NAS uses for selecting the disk to write the file if it is of concern to you.
post #48 of 9945 Old 01-01-2011, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

At the request of some folks I've added to my brass source buttons; you can now find buttons for Dune, Pandora, and Sage TV.

Steve Goff
post #49 of 9945 Old 01-01-2011, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I've made and shared a new iPad background. Please disregard the source buttons, which represent an experiment gone awry:

Steve Goff
post #50 of 9945 Old 01-01-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:

Hope that explains it. If you want a copy of the program let me know, but you will need to tell me how your NAS is organized and what algorithm the NAS uses for selecting the disk to write the file if it is of concern to you.

Thanks. Since I haven't ripped my disks yet, I'll just run MakeMKV straight from the drive. But I'm curious what you used to write your program.

Richard
post #51 of 9945 Old 01-01-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:

If MakeMKV makes multiple movie files (This happens if there are multiple angles in the original DVD file) I only keep the first one and none of the others.

Just curiosity, but how do you know the "1st" movie file is the right one?
When I ripping BluRay straight from disc, I tend to go for the largest file.
Also, are you talking all the audio streams and all the subtitles, as again it's always a slight guess as to which of the English soundtracks to take.

Cheers,
post #52 of 9945 Old 01-01-2011, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

We are getting slightly OT but most of us are interested in Home theater. I use VB 6 to do all my programming as I am an old dog and not willing to learn to many new tricks.

I had already ripped them selecting the largest file which 99% of the time is the one I want. I only rip forced subtitles, and always the soundtrack at the highest quality in English only.

I am just correcting an original decision not to use MKV. I will be using MKkeMKV for all future rips directy from the disk.

MakerMKV will take the ripped movie and convert it to MKV. However if the movie has multiple angles it rips each angle as a new MKV file. From what I understand the first one it rips is the default (theatrical) angle.
post #53 of 9945 Old 01-01-2011, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Someone asked for an iPad layout with two sets of cursor controls. Here is my first take on such a background, which I have shared. Again, please disregard the source buttons.

Steve Goff
post #54 of 9945 Old 01-01-2011, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Another version:

Steve Goff
post #55 of 9945 Old 01-01-2011, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 163
It says you need to hold the L key down before releasing the mouse to make a button into a link. This does not work for me. When I hold down the L while sliding a source button, it changes to dispay "link" inside the button. But the mouse then freezes while the L key is being held down. If I release the L key, it reverts back to a button and sticks where I left it.

ANy ideas? Browser if Mozilla latest version.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #56 of 9945 Old 01-01-2011, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

It says you need to hold the L key down before releasing the mouse to make a button into a link. This does not work for me. When I hold down the L while sliding a source button, it changes to dispay "link" inside the button. But the mouse then freezes while the L key is being held down. If I release the L key, it reverts back to a button and sticks where I left it.

ANy ideas? Browser if Mozilla latest version.

I wouldn't use Firefox, because of this known problem. As I mentioned before, use Chrome.

Steve Goff
post #57 of 9945 Old 01-01-2011, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

After reviewing all the tutorials, FAQs and forum entries I have two questions:
  • Why are there commands on labels and how do these work and why are they needed instead of buttons?
  • What is the purpose of the shared attribute for a panel?

Chris
post #58 of 9945 Old 01-01-2011, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Can the Panels button in the header be hidden? I would prefer my users not having the panel navigation button and only use my UI to move between panels.

Chris
post #59 of 9945 Old 01-01-2011, 08:41 PM

Here's a related but OT question.

I'm having so much fun with the iTachs I'd like to be able to send them a command from my computer (outside of iRule). Does anyone know of a little utility that will send an IP command to an iTach? Ultimately I'd like to set it up as a link from my home page.

Richard
post #60 of 9945 Old 01-01-2011, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU View Post

Here's a related but OT question.

I'm having so much fun with the iTachs I'd like to be able to send them a command from my computer (outside of iRule). Does anyone know of a little utility that will send an IP command to an iTach? Ultimately I'd like to set it up as a link from my home page.

It comes with an Test.exe program.

Chris
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Sharp Aquos , Lcd Hdtv , Receivers Amplifiers , Philips Pronto Tsu7000 The Intelligent Remote Control For Home Theater
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page