Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #6121 of 9960 Old 03-14-2012, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for the answer!

Another question: is there a delay between the moment you press the button (on the smartphone/tablet) and you see the command executed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6122 of 9960 Old 03-14-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
There is technically a delay, but it's imperceptible. I'd say the responsiveness is for all practical purposes identical to a hard-button remote.

In some cases, iRule is better than a factory hard-button remote. If you've ever used a DirecTV IR remote, you know it can be sluggish and frustrating. iRule macros make the channel changes directly to a desired channel almost instantaneous.

SC

I've got GAS: Gadget Acquisition Syndrome.
post #6123 of 9960 Old 03-16-2012, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
^^

I agree totally. I have one iOS device with iRule and it's control of an H25 is perfect and instant. The numbers, nav buttons, and others are never wrong. You just lose the feel of the placement of the buttons. It's really a non issue though I think. One area that is an example of the above issue is the up arrow command to your nine favorites. It drags with anything other than the ip commands. Not sure why, but that alone is nice as I don't like to wait for something to happen when I hit a button.
post #6124 of 9960 Old 03-16-2012, 08:43 AM

Does anybody here have the hex codes for a PS3? I posted in the remote thread but have not had any luck yet. I am using the IR4PS3 codes that Irule has posted. All the codes work except for the "on" "off" and "PS Button" commands. I talked to tech support and the guy that helped me explained those 3 codes work just fine with his PS3 so I'm not really sure what's going on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
post #6125 of 9960 Old 03-17-2012, 01:29 PM

Has anyone used iRule with the DA5700es? Any input as to what I would need to connect irule to the reciever, does it require an additional gateway?
post #6126 of 9960 Old 03-17-2012, 02:44 PM

I have had irule running for over year. I had to switch out a bad router. I set to new ip 192.168.0.106. now no connection. tried on both android and ipad no luck.

any thoughts anyone?
post #6127 of 9960 Old 03-17-2012, 04:41 PM

post #6128 of 9960 Old 03-17-2012, 06:39 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkozinski View Post

I have had irule running for over year. I had to switch out a bad router. I set to new ip 192.168.0.106. now no connection. tried on both android and ipad no luck.

any thoughts anyone?

On your iOS device open Safari and put in the ip address of one of your Global Cache gateways. If you get page not found then your GC units IP settings do not match what you have in the iRule app. Did you have static IPs or did you do DHCP reservations?

Alex
post #6129 of 9960 Old 03-17-2012, 08:07 PM

my ip2ir and directv work fine. im having trouble with mce controller for my media center. I know it must be simple, just forgetting in my old age.

I just checked thru safari, unable to access htpc. if i enter address on htpc it connects and waits for commands
post #6130 of 9960 Old 03-19-2012, 06:44 AM

for anyone else with router issue like mine. My problem was a simple fix. make
sure windows connection is set as home. when i switched out and the connection got swapped to public.,
post #6131 of 9960 Old 03-19-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osupike99 View Post

As I have posted back in September or so, 2412n listens on port 9761 as a PLM. Set it up as NETWORK GATEWAY and use Insteon raw commands. You can get real time feedback from each switch without the need to query anything. Feedback sample should be already shared in the database. Control command structure has been provided some time ago in this forum.

One drawback of 2412n over its PLM is that it only accepts one connection at a time like GC-100.

Alex

I tried this using the Insteon Raw Commands sample and I do not get feedback until the status of the device is changed while iRule is listening. If I turn the light on using iRule, the feedback displays correctly as 100%. If I turn the light on using the dimmer switch, the feedback displays a bogus number in the thousands of percent.
post #6132 of 9960 Old 03-19-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Can I use a single device profile to communicate with multiple iTach devices?

For example, one irule screen that can control two different iTach devices?

How much can I split the wired IR jacks on the iTach? I notice it has 3 ports but how many actual devices can I control with those ports *with just the iTach unit* and not another IR distribution block?
post #6133 of 9960 Old 03-19-2012, 01:17 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKaram View Post

Can I use a single device profile to communicate with multiple iTach devices?

For example, one irule screen that can control two different iTach devices?

How much can I split the wired IR jacks on the iTach? I notice it has 3 ports but how many actual devices can I control with those ports *with just the iTach unit* and not another IR distribution block?

you can theoretically control as many different gateways (an iTach is a gateway in irule speak) from one screen as buttons you can fit on that screen. in the builder you assign commands from various devices to your buttons (a device is a tv, receiver, etc). then within the irule app you assign those same devices to the appropriate gateway(s). when you press a button that has been assigned a command for device A, the app sends the command to device A's gateway. same for device B, and so on. so say you had 10 buttons on a screen and each of those buttons was assigned a power on command from a different tv, and each of those 10 tvs was being controlled by its own itach. in the app you would assign each tv device to it's corresponding itach gateway and you would then be controlling 10 different itachs from one page of your layout.

as for splitting the itach's ir outputs, i have gc-100's, not itachs, but i'm pretty sure the ir outputs are the same. i use several different three head emitter cables and can vouch for them working just fine. so if you do the simple math on that, you can control at least 9 devices from a single itach, with dedicated emitters. note though that you can also use a blaster, which could probably get you well more than 9 devices, assuming you have good line of sight to all of them.

post #6134 of 9960 Old 03-19-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolootbs View Post

you can theoretically control as many different gateways (an iTach is a gateway in irule speak) from one screen as buttons you can fit on that screen. in the builder you assign commands from various devices to your buttons (a device is a tv, receiver, etc). then within the irule app you assign those same devices to the appropriate gateway(s). when you press a button that has been assigned a command for device A, the app sends the command to device A's gateway. same for device B, and so on. so say you had 10 buttons on a screen and each of those buttons was assigned a power on command from a different tv, and each of those 10 tvs was being controlled by its own itach. in the app you would assign each tv device to it's corresponding itach gateway and you would then be controlling 10 different itachs from one page of your layout.

as for splitting the itach's ir outputs, i have gc-100's, not itachs, but i'm pretty sure the ir outputs are the same. i use several different three head emitter cables and can vouch for them working just fine. so if you do the simple math on that, you can control at least 9 devices from a single itach, with dedicated emitters. note though that you can also use a blaster, which could probably get you well more than 9 devices, assuming you have good line of sight to all of them.

Each component I have has a physical IR input, so I would be splitting into hard lines rather than emitters.
This is less of an issue though because at the very worst I could connect to a powered distribution block and make it work.

The bigger question is the one about the gateways. Thanks for the info you provided.
What about macros or activities that span multiple gateways?

Just, for example, say I had a button called "PARTY TIME!"
Could that one button's macro impact multiple gateways?
Like it would turn off lights via gateway 1 and turn on music via gateway 2?
post #6135 of 9960 Old 03-19-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKaram View Post

The bigger question is the one about the gateways. Thanks for the info you provided.
What about macros or activities that span multiple gateways?

Just, for example, say I had a button called "PARTY TIME!"
Could that one button's macro impact multiple gateways?
Like it would turn off lights via gateway 1 and turn on music via gateway 2?

Absolutely. My system on/off macro affects three different gateways simultaneously: a GC-100 for a serial switcher and several IR devices, an IP gateway in my pre/pro, and another IP gateway which is my Indigo Insteon controller running on a Mac mini. The GC-100 could just as well be 2 different iTach devices, for a total of four.

I'd say multiple gateways are probably just as common around AVS as single gateway systems, if for no other reason because of the increasing popularity of IP-controllable AVR's, pre's, and displays.

SC

I've got GAS: Gadget Acquisition Syndrome.
post #6136 of 9960 Old 03-19-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrabb View Post

Absolutely. My system on/off macro affects three different gateways simultaneously: a GC-100 for a serial switcher and several IR devices, an IP gateway in my pre/pro, and another IP gateway which is my Indigo Insteon controller running on a Mac mini. The GC-100 could just as well be 2 different iTach devices, for a total of four.

I'd say multiple gateways are probably just as common around AVS as single gateway systems, if for no other reason because of the increasing popularity of IP-controllable AVR's, pre's, and displays.

SC

Awesome... then it looks like I'm buying some irule equipment.
post #6137 of 9960 Old 03-19-2012, 03:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Guys: I searched the thread for "+ethernet and +htpc" but didn't find the answer. I hav a HTPC I'd like to try to control via ethernet and iRule. I need to replicate the functionality of a Windows Media Center IR remote. Does anyone know if this can be doen with iRule? I assume I need some app running on the PC but I don't know what.

Thanks,
Scott
post #6138 of 9960 Old 03-19-2012, 03:31 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

Guys: I searched the thread for "+ethernet and +htpc" but didn't find the answer. I hav a HTPC I'd like to try to control via ethernet and iRule. I need to replicate the functionality of a Windows Media Center IR remote. Does anyone know if this can be doen with iRule? I assume I need some app running on the PC but I don't know what.

Thanks,
Scott

Yes you can control WMC with iRule - check out this tutorial that explains how:
http://www.iruleathome.com/tutorials/mce-control.html

It works quite nicely.
post #6139 of 9960 Old 03-19-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpaulboy View Post

Yes you can control WMC with iRule - check out this tutorial that explains how:
http://www.iruleathome.com/tutorials/mce-control.html

It works quite nicely.

DOH! Now how'd I miss that?? Thank you.

Adding keywords for the next dummy like me who may search like I did
HTPC Ethernet Remote IP WMC
post #6140 of 9960 Old 03-20-2012, 07:26 AM

Version 2.3 is out! Just got the email. Haven't tried it yet but it has iTunes integration (as an add-on module) and some other nifty features.
post #6141 of 9960 Old 03-20-2012, 10:13 AM

"itunes module is not supported by 'ipod or iphone (480x320)' handset type" = huge boo. this is the number 1 feature i've been waiting for since i started using irule a year and a half ago . was so looking forward to not having to toggle between irule for volume control and apple remote for itunes control.

post #6142 of 9960 Old 03-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Sweet!

Does anyone know what they mean on the list of improvements it says "Improved macros with command queuing"

What is command queuing and how do I use it?

Also there was talk of being able to hide the top bar but I don't see how to do that, did that make it into the release?

Thanks!
post #6143 of 9960 Old 03-20-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

"itunes module is not supported by 'ipod or iphone (480x320)' handset type" = huge boo. this is the number 1 feature i've been waiting for since i started using irule a year and a half ago . was so looking forward to not having to toggle between irule for volume control and apple remote for itunes control.

I kinda wish this was added too but prob cause the size of the screen was a limiting factor. Or maybe they want to see how the iPad version works out and then add other smaller idevices.
post #6144 of 9960 Old 03-20-2012, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezit73 View Post

Also there was talk of being able to hide the top bar but I don't see how to do that, did that make it into the release?

Thanks!

It's located in the "more" menu, then click "nav".
post #6145 of 9960 Old 03-20-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

iTunes is very very slick! i don't think u can use the inset box that we r used to though. i had to delete it to have the module place on a page. u also have to play with the columns and rows a bit with synching back and forth to get it where u like and then write down the numbers for the col and row to make it easier.

mborner. . .to hide the nab bar u have to add the synch button and gateway or anything else u might need. how do u do that in the more tab?

jim
post #6146 of 9960 Old 03-20-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:

it's in the handset setup. go to options -> handsets. in the handset manager, click on one of your iOS handsets in the left hand pane and it'll have a new attribute at the bottom of the list in the right hand pane called "hide navigation bar".

post #6147 of 9960 Old 03-20-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post

to hide the nab bar u have to add the synch button and gateway or anything else u might need. how do u do that in the more tab?

jim

the more tab is where you find the navigational items, to drag and drop to your layout (5th heading: "navigation"). see my post above as to how you actually hide the bar.

post #6148 of 9960 Old 03-20-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the more tab is where you find the navigational items, to drag and drop to your layout (5th heading: "navigation"). see my post above as to how you actually hide the bar.

when i drag and drop say "browser" or navigation i get a ? in the green box?

i also tried to put an image and drop it on the image but nothing?

jimi
post #6149 of 9960 Old 03-20-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgyenese View Post

I tried this using the Insteon Raw Commands sample and I do not get feedback until the status of the device is changed while iRule is listening. If I turn the light on using iRule, the feedback displays correctly as 100%. If I turn the light on using the dimmer switch, the feedback displays a bogus number in the thousands of percent.

That is as expected. Insteon devices respond differently (format wise) when receive commands from controller vs when controller is receiving commands directly from the switch.

Alex
post #6150 of 9960 Old 03-20-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:

Sweet!

Does anyone know what they mean on the list of improvements it says "Improved macros with command queuing"

What is command queuing and how do I use it?

Thanks!

Command queuing means that you won't be able to interrupt a macro until it is finished. So if the macro is executing and the user presses one of the buttons before the macro is finished, that press will get queued and will be executed after the macro is finished. Inserting a Message will block users from pressing any buttons until the macro is finished.

Alex
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Sharp Aquos , Lcd Hdtv , Receivers Amplifiers , Philips Pronto Tsu7000 The Intelligent Remote Control For Home Theater
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page