post #6331 of 9960 Old 04-04-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clamage View Post

We're thinking alike, I just edited my previous post to include asking about what the default is.

I'll check when I get home, but I believe mine defaults to the device that's doing the streaming. For example, with the iTunes module, I think it defaults to my HTPC that's running the iTunes. When I use iRule to run Pandora that's streaming from my iPad, it defaults to the iPad and actually changes if I have it plugged in.

I'll do some testing and report back.
Clam

What do u mean when u use irule to run pandora? AirPlay pandora from an iPad to AirPlay speakers? Can I explain cause that caught my attention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6332 of 9960 Old 04-04-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post

No the welcome to theatre logo in kritcher's setup. Sorry do like ur too!

I kind of cheated!

I used the mock up image that the HT logo company designed for my theater signs. Thank GOD for Photoshop!

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Richter Family 3D Theater  

post #6333 of 9960 Old 04-04-2012, 02:15 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

What do u mean when u use irule to run pandora? AirPlay pandora from an iPad to AirPlay speakers? Can I explain cause that caught my attention.

Sure.
I Have a Pandora Panel with a listen to Pandora page. On that page I added a URL with the address pandora://http://

On my "Listen" activities, I have a Pandora button that links to the Pandora panel/page and the URL launches the Pandora app on my iPad. The button/link also switches my SC-57 AVR to HMG which is how it accesses Airplay.

Pandora launches on the iPad, I hit Airplay, select the SC-57 and now I can control Pandora on my iPad and listen to the output on my system through my SC-57.

The problem is trying to explain the Airplay stuff to non-Airplay users of the remote.

To get back to iRule, double click the iPad home button, select iRule.

Does that make sense?
Clam
post #6334 of 9960 Old 04-04-2012, 05:44 PM

Liked: 15
Just received a new Denon AVR-1912 and I'm setting up the HTTP gateway.
Can someone please advise of the port number.

I'm using the "Denon AVR All Models RS232/TCP" device in iRule; and port 23 does not work.

Thx
post #6335 of 9960 Old 04-04-2012, 09:21 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosdude View Post

Just received a new Denon AVR-1912 and I'm setting up the HTTP gateway.
Can someone please advise of the port number.

I'm using the "Denon AVR All Models RS232/TCP" device in iRule; and port 23 does not work.

Thx

Update: I needed to setup a Network connection, not http. Working now.
post #6336 of 9960 Old 04-05-2012, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

I kind of cheated!

I used the mock up image that the HT logo company designed for my theater signs. Thank GOD for Photoshop!

oh that's a big cheat! but good idea! lol
post #6337 of 9960 Old 04-05-2012, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sure.
I Have a Pandora Panel with a listen to Pandora page. On that page I added a URL with the address pandora://http://

On my "Listen" activities, I have a Pandora button that links to the Pandora panel/page and the URL launches the Pandora app on my iPad. The button/link also switches my SC-57 AVR to HMG which is how it accesses Airplay.

Pandora launches on the iPad, I hit Airplay, select the SC-57 and now I can control Pandora on my iPad and listen to the output on my system through my SC-57.

The problem is trying to explain the Airplay stuff to non-Airplay users of the remote.

To get back to iRule, double click the iPad home button, select iRule.

Does that make sense?
Clam

that's pretty creative. i would never have thought of that!
post #6338 of 9960 Old 04-05-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:

Clam. Not sure if this is what u r asking but I have 2 air speakers. The computer And an airport express. I know iTunes always opens with the last one that was set to be used. 99 percent of the time the airport express. So with AirPlay speakers iTunes always defaults back to the computer speakers?

Quote:

We're thinking alike, I just edited my previous post to include asking about what the default is.

I'll check when I get home, but I believe mine defaults to the device that's doing the streaming. For example, with the iTunes module, I think it defaults to my HTPC that's running the iTunes. When I use iRule to run Pandora that's streaming from my iPad, it defaults to the iPad and actually changes if I have the power cable plugged in.

I'll do some testing and report back.
Clam

So I tested this last night.

When I launch Pandora from iRule, Airplay always defaults to the iPad and I have to manually switch it to my SC-57.

When I launch the iTunes module from iRule, Airplay remembers what the last setting was the last time the iTunes module ran. So once I run the module and switch Airplay to HTPC, it always starts that way...even if I run Pandora with Airplay set to the iPad.

So, I conclude that there must be a way to tell an app what Airplay setting to use when it launches...all I have to do now is figure out how to do that!
Clam
post #6339 of 9960 Old 04-05-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been getting questions again about how to line up buttons with my backgrounds. Here is an iPad background with one of the most common layouts:

In this example the grid is 31 rows by 51 columns. All of the buttons along the right side are 5 cells wide, so they line up and are centered. The other standard size buttons are mostly 4 cells wide; the exceptions are the left and right arrow buttons and the pop up menu and top menu buttons, which are 3 cells wide. Of course, you can substitute other buttons with other functions for the two menu buttons. And the big play, pause, and stop buttons are the standard 8 cells wide.

So if a button comes close, but doesn't exactly line up with the background, change the width of the cell to make it line up.

I hope this what you are looking for.

Steve Goff
post #6340 of 9960 Old 04-05-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

That is one smokin' image Steve! Don't you have the RS55 (like me) 'cause I don't see it as one of your sources?

Kevin

post #6341 of 9960 Old 04-05-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is one smokin' image Steve! Don't you have the RS55 (like me) 'cause I don't see it as one of your sources?

I decided to pass on the RS55 and keep my old projector for now. Though I have a projector, I arrange sources by what I watch or listen to (activities), not what is used to do that. So my sources include Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-Audio, XBMC, Comcast, etc. The projector is not a source, but the thing I watch some sources on. For me it makes much more sense to arrange by activity than by device.

For example, I have a "watch Blu-ray" button that turns on the player and opens the drawer, turns on my preamp/processor and selects the Blu-ray input (thus also activating my 7-channel amp), and turns on the projector and selects the correct input. Then it goes to the first page of the panel that controls my Blu-ray player and the preamp volume.

Steve Goff
post #6342 of 9960 Old 04-05-2012, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Goff View Post

I decided to pass on the RS55 and keep my old projector for now. Though I have a projector, I arrange sources by what I watch or listen to (activities), not what is used to do that. So my sources include Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-Audio, XBMC, Comcast, etc. The projector is not a source, but the thing I watch some sources on. For me it makes much more sense to arrange by activity than by device.

For example, I have a "watch Blu-ray" button that turns on the player and opens the drawer, turns on my preamp/processor and selects the Blu-ray input (thus also activating my 7-channel amp), and turns on the projector and selects the correct input. Then it goes to the first page of the panel that controls my Blu-ray player and the preamp volume.

Makes sense Steve. I guess all this stuff is trial and error and all revolves around personal taste. You my friend have some mad design skills... just bangin'!

Kevin

post #6343 of 9960 Old 04-05-2012, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Out of curiosity if your using irule with an htpc whats the easiest way to add keyboard support to the program?

Would i still have to purchase a 3rd party usb ir device.
post #6344 of 9960 Old 04-06-2012, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I also want to ask for those of you using irule and xbmc, how exactly do you control it?

By http commands does this mean irule just uses those few http commands you can use to control irule? I checked it out by navigating to my xbmc http page. They are not very robust and there are not letters on it so if i want to do a search or anything i cant?

How do you guys get around this? Are most xbmc users here just adding a 3rd party remote?
post #6345 of 9960 Old 04-06-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Makes sense Steve. I guess all this stuff is trial and error and all revolves around personal taste. You my friend have some mad design skills... just bangin'!

Thanks very much. I've shared lots of iPhone (regular and retina) and iPad background for other folks to use.

Steve Goff
post #6346 of 9960 Old 04-06-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

I also want to ask for those of you using irule and xbmc, how exactly do you control it?

By http commands does this mean irule just uses those few http commands you can use to control irule? I checked it out by navigating to my xbmc http page. They are not very robust and there are not letters on it so if i want to do a search or anything i cant?

How do you guys get around this? Are most xbmc users here just adding a 3rd party remote?

I use the XBMC (light) device to control XBMC, plus a few commands from MCE Controller device. The XBMC (light) device has almost everything you need to control XBMC.

Steve Goff
post #6347 of 9960 Old 04-06-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I use the XBMC (light) device to control XBMC, plus a few commands from MCE Controller device. The XBMC (light) device has almost everything you need to control XBMC.

Hey... can I also ask how to properly set-up IP control on the iPad? I've gone through this thread and the iRule support page but it's just not clear to this new kid on the block.

I know a few posts mentioned to configure the network gateway on port 23 and enter in your device IP addresses but I see the IP on the iRule defaults to a 192.168.1.70 address whereas my IP2IR GC device is found under x.x.x.5 on my network. Do I change it to x.x.x.5 add my device IP's and I'm good to go (all under port 23)??

I have a Denon 5308ci, JVC RS55 PJ, DTV HR24 (and possibly a Tivo THX S3... is that possible or only under IR??), that I want to IP control (come on Oppo team... get on board the IP train!). I think I remember Mike having a Denon so maybe he or other owners can chime in if anything "special" is required with these devices.

As usual guys... Thanks!

Kevin

post #6348 of 9960 Old 04-06-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey... can I also ask how to properly set-up IP control on the iPad? I've gone through this thread and the iRule support page but it's just not clear to this new kid on the block.

I know a few posts mentioned to configure the network gateway on port 23 and enter in your device IP addresses but I see the IP on the iRule defaults to a 192.168.1.70 address whereas my IP2IR GC device is found under x.x.x.5 on my network. Do I change it to x.x.x.5 add my device IP's and I'm good to go (all under port 23)??

I have a Denon 5308ci, JVC RS55 PJ, DTV HR24 (and possibly a Tivo THX S3... is that possible or only under IR??), that I want to IP control (come on Oppo team... get on board the IP train!). I think I remember Mike having a Denon so maybe he or other owners can chime in if anything "special" is required with these devices.

As usual guys... Thanks!

There are two kinds of gateways for what you might call IP control. Network Gateways and HTTP Gateways. I use network gateways to control my Integra preamp/processor and MCE Controller on my PC. I use HTTP gateways to control XBMC and J. River Media Center on the PC. On a PC different programs listen for and respond to activity on different ports.

For both methods you find out the IP address of the unit (in my case, my PC and my Integra preamp) and the port on which the program or unit is listening. My preamp setup tells both its IP address and port. Type ipconfig at the command line prompt on your computer to find out its IP address. Consult the program that you want to control to find out its default port. For MCE Contoller it is 5150. For XBMC it is 80 or 8080. For J. River Media Center it is 51299. These can all be changed from within these programs.

For network gateways you enter the address and port on different lines, whereas for HTTP Gateways the address and the port are separated by a colon, like this: 192.168.0.247:8080. In this example 8080 is the default port for XMBC.

MCE Controller, XBMC and J. River have default ports, but they can be changed on the computer. You enter the IP address and port number in the gateway on the iOS or Android device, and set up a device in the builder that communicates through that gateway. In my case these include the device for controlling Integra preamps, the MCE Controller device, the XMBC (light) device, and the J. River Media Center device that I created and have shared.

The iRule website has a list of some of devices you can control this way, and for many it lists the default port.

Steve Goff
post #6349 of 9960 Old 04-06-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are two kinds of gateways for what you might call IP control. Network Gateways and HTTP Gateways. I use network gateways to control my Integra preamp/processor and MCE Controller on my PC. I use HTTP gateways to control XBMC and J. River Media Center on the PC. On a PC different programs listen for and respond to activity on different ports.

For both methods you find out the IP address of the unit (in my case, my PC and my Integra preamp) and the port on which the program or unit is listening. My preamp setup tells both its IP address and port. Type ipconfig at the command line prompt on your computer to find out its IP address. Consult the program that you want to control to find out its default port. For MCE Contoller it is 5150. For XBMC it is 80 or 8080. For J. River Media Center it is 51299. These can all be changed from within these programs.

For network gateways you enter the address and port on different lines, whereas for HTTP Gateways the address and the port are separated by a colon, like this: 192.168.0.247:8080. In this example 8080 is the default port for XMBC.

MCE Controller, XBMC and J. River have default ports, but they can be changed on the computer. You enter the IP address and port number in the gateway on the iOS or Android device, and set up a device in the builder that communicates through that gateway. In my case these include the device for controlling Integra preamps, the MCE Controller device, the XMBC (light) device, and the J. River Media Center device that I created and have shared.

The iRule website has a list of some of devices you can control this way, and for many it lists the default port.

Thanks Steve!

I just want to control my HT devices but nothing HTTP (that I know of but that could be because I am an unconcious incompetent with all this stuff at this point!).

So it sounds like the 'Network' option is what I want to configure in iRule app in iOS. But what about the x.x.x.70 address I see as the default. I know my IP2IR GC device is showing a x.x.x.5 address on my home network so would I have to change that in the Network settings or leave that alone?

Also when I look on the Roomie site for IP compatibility some of my devices show other ports than 23 (like the JVC PJ shows port 20554 and needs a user name of 'PJREQ' and the DirecTV HR24 shows port 8080... Tivo S3 is supported thru IP but needs port 31339). How do I input that string along with the IP info?

Kevin

post #6350 of 9960 Old 04-06-2012, 03:24 PM

Liked: 16
I apologize if this has already been covered - I've been browsing this thread all day and haven't come across it - but with 200+ pages...

I'm a relative noob when it comes to iRule, but I must say I'm very happy with it so far. I have mine controling my Onkyo 809 over TCP/IP, my Oppo 83 via CEC (RIHD) over the Onkyo HDMI, and my DirecTV THR22-100 TiVo over IP.

I am trying to get feedback to work from the TiVo to get information from it. So far, all the TiVo IP commands work to control this unit, but the feedback ones don't seem to work.

After doing research, I came accross using CH_STATUS to get the feedback information I need.

I am using the prefix 'CH_STATUS' and suffix 'LOCAL'. The value returned is 'CH_STATUS xxxx' where xxxx is the 4 digit channel number. If I omit the 'LOCAL' sufix, it returns 'CH_STATUS xxxx LOCAL'. So, I tried using the sufix 'CH_STATUS CH_STATUS' to see if it would remove the CH_STATUS from the output. That broke it.

I then tried changing 'target value' to 'CH_STATUS *' and tried putting a blank space, a space then *, an * and other values in 'replace with' to no avail.

Has anyone had an experience similar to this? And, if so, how did you get it to remove the extra text?

I wish there was more information on everything you can do in the feedback section, but other than using existing feedback, there isn't much in the way of tutorials or information.

Thanks in advance!
Kevin

post #6351 of 9960 Old 04-06-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow cool... now we have two "Noob Kevin's". Aren't you guys lucky!

Kevin

post #6352 of 9960 Old 04-06-2012, 06:31 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by disker72 View Post

I apologize if this has already been covered - I've been browsing this thread all day and haven't come across it - but with 200+ pages...

I'm a relative noob when it comes to iRule, but I must say I'm very happy with it so far. I have mine controling my Onkyo 809 over TCP/IP, my Oppo 83 via CEC (RIHD) over the Onkyo HDMI, and my DirecTV THR22-100 TiVo over IP.

I am trying to get feedback to work from the TiVo to get information from it. So far, all the TiVo IP commands work to control this unit, but the feedback ones don't seem to work.

After doing research, I came accross using CH_STATUS to get the feedback information I need.

I am using the prefix 'CH_STATUS' and suffix 'LOCAL'. The value returned is 'CH_STATUS xxxx' where xxxx is the 4 digit channel number. If I omit the 'LOCAL' sufix, it returns 'CH_STATUS xxxx LOCAL'. So, I tried using the sufix 'CH_STATUS CH_STATUS' to see if it would remove the CH_STATUS from the output. That broke it.

I then tried changing 'target value' to 'CH_STATUS *' and tried putting a blank space, a space then *, an * and other values in 'replace with' to no avail.

Has anyone had an experience similar to this? And, if so, how did you get it to remove the extra text?

I wish there was more information on everything you can do in the feedback section, but other than using existing feedback, there isn't much in the way of tutorials or information.

Thanks in advance!
Kevin

How are you controlling the TIVo DTV box via IP? Is it the same protocol as regular TiVo ip protocol?

Alex
post #6353 of 9960 Old 04-06-2012, 08:35 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Out of curiosity if your using irule with an htpc whats the easiest way to add keyboard support to the program?

Would i still have to purchase a 3rd party usb ir device.

Use mce controller. You can have a virtual keyboard.
post #6354 of 9960 Old 04-06-2012, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Steve!

I just want to control my HT devices but nothing HTTP (that I know of but that could be because I am an unconcious incompetent with all this stuff at this point!).

So it sounds like the 'Network' option is what I want to configure in iRule app in iOS. But what about the x.x.x.70 address I see as the default. I know my IP2IR GC device is showing a x.x.x.5 address on my home network so would I have to change that in the Network settings or leave that alone?

Also when I look on the Roomie site for IP compatibility some of my devices show other ports than 23 (like the JVC PJ shows port 20554 and needs a user name of 'PJREQ' and the DirecTV HR24 shows port 8080... Tivo S3 is supported thru IP but needs port 31339). How do I input that string along with the IP info?

You have to first determine whether your equipment can be controlled via IP and whether there is a device in the builder library with network codes to control that equipment.

Each unit hooked up to your home network has a unique IP address assigned by your router. Usually it is something like 192.168.0.xxx, with the first three numbers separated by periods common to the network and the last number, here represented by xxx, being the unique identifier. It is that unique address that you have to find out and enter on your iOS or Android device. The IP address tells iRule which networked unit should be sent the network code, and tells the unit to be controlled that it has been sent a command to execute. For example, the network IP address assigned to my preamp by my router could be 192.168.1.247. The port might be 62129.

I don't know which of your devices will accept network commands. I'm not sure the RS55 does yet, though it was advertised. I know some Denon products do. Each should provide a means of determining the IP address. For example, my Integra preamp setup has a section on network, and it tells you the IP address and port.

Steve Goff
post #6355 of 9960 Old 04-07-2012, 02:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydus View Post

Use mce controller. You can have a virtual keyboard.

Just so im clear, would this simply involve downloading the mce controller plugin, and then adding mce remote buttons to my irule project? I would not have to physically buy the mce remote or IR receiver?
post #6356 of 9960 Old 04-07-2012, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I am adding several new pages to my set up. I am copying existing pages but when I try to rename them in the properties box I keep getting an error message indicating that the number of rows exceeds the maximum. I have been using 48 rows in all my pages without problem. The max on the error message is 36 which clearly is incorrect for the iPad. Any thoughts? Thx
post #6357 of 9960 Old 04-07-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just so im clear, would this simply involve downloading the mce controller plugin, and then adding mce remote buttons to my irule project? I would not have to physically buy the mce remote or IR receiver?

No remote or IR receiver required, since it works via the network. Download MCE Controller, replace the commands file with the one found on the iRule website (which adds useful commands) and import the MCE Controller device into the builder. There is a tutorial on this on the website.

Steve Goff
post #6358 of 9960 Old 04-07-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osupike99 View Post

How are you controlling the TIVo DTV box via IP? Is it the same protocol as regular TiVo ip protocol?

Alex

Yes, it is. The same IRCODE, SETCH, and TELEPORT commands work on it that work on the non DirecTV TiVo.

The feedbacks however, don't seem to work, except to query CH_STATUS. The only other feedbacks I have seen have prefixes like *"major": and sufixes like ,* ... These don't seem to give me ANY feedback information.

On a side note - does anyone know of any other querys such as CH_STATUS that may give me more information?

Thanks again!

post #6359 of 9960 Old 04-07-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Kevin

I came across this in the iRule tutorial and it specifically mentioned after you import the feedbacks to assign the device you want to attach them to (step 5 & 6 in the Feedback tutorial). Did you remember to do that? Also it sounds like each device has have a "begin" & "end" code from the manufacturer but that part I'm still trying to wrap my head around. Anyone know of a master web DB to get this info?

iRule site for Feedback (step 6):
Assign the Device from the Properties of the Feedback. In the Feedback Properties, you define the fields that are common for the Feedback such as a starts with and ends with fields. These are used when a device sends back a header for every feedback and closes a feedback using a common format. In this example, the Integra Receiver begins every feedback with: ISCP\\x00 and completes every feedback with \\x1A. This information can be found in the documentation from the manufacturer.

Kevin

post #6360 of 9960 Old 04-07-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:

Ok - I figured out a partial fix... It seems that the _ in CH_STATUS is for some reason keeping the CH_STATUS from being filtered out. But, if I use *STATUS, the CH_STATUS is filtered out. Too bad I already set up 300 channels doing a field replace of CH_STATUS0xxx with xxx on each one! :-/

oHwELL - you live and learn. At least with my workaround for each channel seperate, I can put in the channel's callsign like TBS, SPIKE, etc...

I hope this helps other's out as there isn't enough advanced documentation for the feedback features.

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Sharp Aquos , Lcd Hdtv , Receivers Amplifiers , Philips Pronto Tsu7000 The Intelligent Remote Control For Home Theater
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page