Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 9982 Old 01-19-2011, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolbytx View Post

I seem to be having a problem with macros. I'm setting up a test system to demo to our team and when pressing a button with a macro, it won't get past the first command. ex: ch 3, ch 5 . I would get only channel 3 when depressed. I've tried inserting a delay as well as a digit separator. My test bed is a Westinghouse lcd with an apple tv with an GC Itach WiFi unit.
Thanks

I had this problem with the Motorola (shaw cable) box. What solved it was to put a 1.0 second delay between the numbers. Not ideal, because of the length of time to change channels, but what was necessary to make it work.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 9982 Old 01-19-2011, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolbytx View Post

I seem to be having a problem with macros. I'm setting up a test system to demo to our team and when pressing a button with a macro, it won't get past the first command. ex: ch 3, ch 5 . I would get only channel 3 when depressed. I've tried inserting a delay as well as a digit separator. My test bed is a Westinghouse lcd with an apple tv with an GC Itach WiFi unit.
Thanks

How much of a delay have you tried? I need .8 seconds on my Samsung TV. Try like 2 or 3 seconds just for the heck of it between digits and see if the second digit appears.

Edit: Did not see snodrics response

Chris
post #633 of 9982 Old 01-20-2011, 04:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgemonster View Post

I know I'll never recommend a Samsung tv to anyone looking for ip control, until they change THEIR policies.

I agree with you about Samsung's proprietary data "attitude", however, I must say, For consumers that don't absolutely have to use IP/RS232 control over your TV (I know I don't) Samsung makes one of the best displays on the market today.
post #634 of 9982 Old 01-20-2011, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner View Post

I agree with you about Samsung's proprietary data "attitude", however, I must say, For consumers that don't absolutely have to use IP/RS232 control over your TV (I know I don't) Samsung makes one of the best displays on the market today.

Please note that the RS232 port on the Samsung TVs do work and Samsung has been good to get us the necessary information for serial control. It is a different department that handles serial and IP control.

Samsung TVs are great, there is a good reason they are #1 in TV sales. Personally, I wish they did have better third party support and I think they will one day.

Itai

Did I mention we are flat to 11?
post #635 of 9982 Old 01-20-2011, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post

OK. I did see the RS232/TCP device, but couldn't figure out where to put the IP address and Port. I'll look at the gateway setup to see where that goes. Thanks. SJ

Define a Network Gateway in the iRule app, assign the Denon device, give it the IP address of the Denon receiver and the port should be 23.

Itai

Did I mention we are flat to 11?
post #636 of 9982 Old 01-20-2011, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubesys View Post

Define a Network Gateway in the iRule app, assign the Denon device, give it the IP address of the Denon receiver and the port should be 23.

Nice to have you back.......
post #637 of 9982 Old 01-20-2011, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Some of the guys over at DBStalk.com seem to believe that the two ethernet ports are an ethernet switch. I hope they're right.
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=129191
http://hd.engadget.com/2007/10/18/db...21-700-hd-dvr/

They do in fact work. I have an HR23 with 2 ethernet ports on the back. I have one port occupied by the cable in and the other by my GC-100. So it is acting as a switch.

Alex
post #638 of 9982 Old 01-20-2011, 09:18 AM

Sorry if this has already been covered but this thread is REALLY long

Here is what i'm trying to do:

1 - Have an "Activities" panel through which i can launch my different activities (eg, Watch TV), much like a Harmony. Done that!

2 - When you click the "Watch TV" (etc) button i want to run a macro to turn everything on and switch to correct inputs. This i have achieved using entrances.

3 - Now here's the issue. I'd really like to use gestures for Up/Down/Left/Right/Ok/Back. Ideally i'd want to use half the screen (iphone) for gestures with buttons in the other half the screen. I'd also need another screen for the numpad.
So my issue is that i can't use left/right gestures because i have 2 pages in the panel.
I saw a suggestion of having a separate hidden panel for the gestures. The problem i have then is that how do i then prevent the entrance from running again if i want to return to the previous (Watch TV) panel? Some of my devices don't have discrete on/off codes so i'll end up switching my TV off!

Anyone got a suggestion? It could be a case of maybe not fully understanding capabilities or just doing something stupid! (only on my 2nd day)

How does the gesture pad thing work? It just seems like a big regular button. How can i assign gestures to it? The only way i can make it opaque is by adding an action, but that action doesn't seem to be tied to a gesture.

All help appreciated!
Thanks.
post #639 of 9982 Old 01-20-2011, 09:43 AM

Just a message to new people.

I have implemented two iRule systems. Both of them are rock solid.

I'm doing my third setup based on the response to the other two by a client of the company I work for. I'm not even an installer.

Support is fantastic-even though I'm across the pond. If your looking into controlling you gear this is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned.
post #640 of 9982 Old 01-20-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayce996 View Post

Hello everyone,
my Harmony 1000 is broken and i will have soon an ipad, after searching on internet i found irule, i wanted to know if some of you have:
- a popcorn c200 and how do you control it? via RF or via IP?
- an onkyo 875 is it controllable via RS232?
- Is there also an hardware that support RF protocole?
- and finally is there other cheaper hardware provider for IR, RS232, RF(if possible).

thank you for your help.

Nobody can help me?

Onkyo TX-SR875 / KIT 5.1 Focal Sib & Cub Black / Sony 46w4500 / PS3 500Go / Popcorn Hour C-200 / Numericable / Belkin PF40 / Harmony 900 / Synology DS411 4To / Squeezebox Touch with TT3 & EDO with S-Booster
post #641 of 9982 Old 01-20-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgemonster View Post

You may blindly love your Samsung tv, but you keep putting responsibility on the wrong company. Samsung has been extremely tight lipped and unresponsive about giving the community integration options, with the exception of their app. If they don't give you the keys to the kingdom, your going have to find other ways to accomplish your goals. Flashing your tv is certainly one of them, but, if you screw it up Samsung isn't going to help you with your new Samsung brick.

This is a community where everyone benefits from the work done and knowledge gained. I personally would rather have it this way then waiting around for someone at irule to hold my hand and spoon feed me information. Thanks to you and other people posts, I know I'll never recommend a Samsung tv to anyone looking for ip control, until they change THEIR policies.

I never suggested flashing your TV, though. I answered a question from someone who wanted to know if Samygo would solve the IP control problem. I replied explaining what Samygo is and, in fact, suggested that it probably would NOT be necessary to install Samygo. Instead, I suggested that examining the Samsung-released firmware and/or the Samygo code might provide the answer.

Some people here seem stuck on one way of doing things.

Contrary to what others have stated here, the goal of the Samygo project is LEGAL modification of the Samsung firmware. Now, perhaps others interpret the law differently than Samsung themselves do, but the fact is: Samsung has released source code for their TVs because they make use of software licensed under the GPL V2 license, which requires that they release source code for any software that incorporates the GPL code. As part of adoption of the GPL V2 license, Samsung agrees that users have permission to modify their firmware.

I don't know how much more developer-friendly they could get than to release source code for their TV's, which is available here:

opensource.samsung.com
post #642 of 9982 Old 01-20-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanchicken View Post

3 - Now here's the issue. I'd really like to use gestures for Up/Down/Left/Right/Ok/Back. Ideally i'd want to use half the screen (iphone) for gestures with buttons in the other half the screen. I'd also need another screen for the numpad.
So my issue is that i can't use left/right gestures because i have 2 pages in the panel.
I saw a suggestion of having a separate hidden panel for the gestures. The problem i have then is that how do i then prevent the entrance from running again if i want to return to the previous (Watch TV) panel? Some of my devices don't have discrete on/off codes so i'll end up switching my TV off!

Anyone got a suggestion? It could be a case of maybe not fully understanding capabilities or just doing something stupid! (only on my 2nd day)

How does the gesture pad thing work? It just seems like a big regular button. How can i assign gestures to it? The only way i can make it opaque is by adding an action, but that action doesn't seem to be tied to a gesture.

All help appreciated!
Thanks.

First of try to create macros to the "activities" buttons instead of entrences. That way you don't execute the command every time you entre from sone orker page or panel.

Devices with out discrete commands is a problem when doing "activities", but there are ways to sneak Stokke these as well, depending on equipment and how you use them. The way I solwed this issue with my satbox, wich is prettymuch on all day anyway, was to create a separate start screen with a link over the whole screen with the on command for the satbox, there by eliminating the chance of turning this of unintentional.
Another way is to have two "activities" panels, one with, and one without powertoggle for that/those devices, with some smart links it should be possible to make this work.

Hope this was of some help.

Ray
post #643 of 9982 Old 01-20-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:

1 - Have an "Activities" panel through which i can launch my different activities (eg, Watch TV), much like a Harmony. Done that!

2 - When you click the "Watch TV" (etc) button i want to run a macro to turn everything on and switch to correct inputs. This i have achieved using entrances.

All help appreciated!
Thanks.

Chicken

While I like the idea of Entrances, I have yet to need them for exactly the reason you have found. Macros are the better way to solve what you'd like to do along with a Link which will provide you the ability to jump to a specific page while executing your Activities.

Process is like this - Drag an image button to your screen and just before releasing the mouse button, press and hold 'L' to turn the button into a Link. Specify where this Link is meant to take you under the properties area in the lower left hand area of the Builder (I've noticed if I don't specify this first, at least in Firefox, I can't ever again specify that this Link is meant to go anywhere)

Once the Link is in place and it knows to jump to a page, tell it what else to do - Power on TV, Power on Amplifier, Power on Blu-Ray, Delay, Switch Amp to Blu-Ray input, Switch TV to Blu-Ray Input. And if your link puts you to your Blu-Ray panel, then start controlling Blu-Ray.

Gestures are fun, but with a iPhone I felt it was too small for this, iPad I found was better but this is your own call. If you want a number pad on the screen, why not just have directional buttons as well?

Good Luck, have fun!
post #644 of 9982 Old 01-20-2011, 10:36 AM

Thanks ray, definitely helpful. Can't believe I didn't think of macros on the buttons myself! What a dope.

When you say 'smart links' what do you mean? Assume you mean normal links but intelligently used? Rather than some sort of actual smart link I haven't encountered yet?

Is there any way I can prevent the other half getting to the settings/panel/etc? She's bound to fiddle :-D

Is there any sort of plan from irule to implement some sort of gesture area? That would be ace!

Thanks again!
post #645 of 9982 Old 01-20-2011, 10:42 AM

Thank you also Mizzell. That seems like the same solution ray suggested so must be the way forward!
post #646 of 9982 Old 01-20-2011, 11:01 AM

When I try to login to builder.iruleathome.com I only get some licence info, not the application. Yes, I've bought and paid for the license...
post #647 of 9982 Old 01-20-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:

Thanks ray, definitely helpful. Can't believe I didn't think of macros on the buttons myself! What a dope.

When you say 'smart links' what do you mean? Assume you mean normal links but intelligently used? Rather than some sort of actual smart link I haven't encountered yet?

Is there any way I can prevent the other half getting to the settings/panel/etc? She's bound to fiddle :-D

Is there any sort of plan from irule to implement some sort of gesture area? That would be ace!

Thanks again!

That's excactly what I ment with smart links. Could have explained myself better i guess.

Ray
post #648 of 9982 Old 01-20-2011, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

All help appreciated!
Thanks.

I don't have any toggle commands in my system except mute on my receiver so I have a slight advantage to you there. But I prefer to use links rather than entrances.

On my main page for my basement set up I have my 5 activities in a panel, (DTV, PS3, Wii, Music, and OTAHD. Each button is set up as a link with commands to power on the needed components and set inputs as needed as well as link to the control page or pages for each activity.

That way if I navigate to my directv hands free panel when I go back to my directv main panel no entrances are triggered.

I use the hands free panel for dvr control only. Single tap for play, right swipe for fast forward, etc. I made labels with the instructions with how to activate each command. That is the only thing on that page/panel. I have a "hands free" button in my directv page that links to the hands free panel. I then use the back button to go back to directv control.

Toggled power seems to be the bane of custom remotes/installs. It throws a wrench in the works for a lot of people.

----edit: lots of people trying to help you bryanchicken! I should have hit refresh before posting.

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
post #649 of 9982 Old 01-20-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verypsb View Post

When I try to login to builder.iruleathome.com I only get some licence info, not the application. Yes, I've bought and paid for the license...

I had the same problem. Have you checked that the email you used to pay for iRule is the same as the one you have a google account on?
post #650 of 9982 Old 01-20-2011, 02:21 PM

I just purchased the hardware and software to get this done and am making good progress with building my UI. A couple questions, though:

1. Do most of you set up a single power on/off macro for your whole system, turn on devices as necessary using macros/entrances, or just have a power button on that device panel?

2. I have a single volume control for my whole system. Right now I put a volume page on my home panel and am linking to it from each device. Is that the best way to do it, or should I make a copy of the page inside each panel?

3. Is it possible to actually resize the images so I can fit them in smaller spaces? For example, I have an iPhone page with 8 channel buttons and I want to try getting another column in, but even if I set the images to be a lower row/column size they don't shrink the image... just the containing box.

4. I'll want to do some lighting automation at some point. I only have two light areas in the room, both on dimmers, so getting an expensive lighting controller doesn't make much sense. Is there a really cheap way to go? Any chance iRule supports X10 hardware?

Thanks for any help.

TheTVDB.com Founder
post #651 of 9982 Old 01-20-2011, 02:28 PM

4. I have X10 and it works.
You just have to take care of repetitions.
And in macro to have delays at least at 1.5 sec.
post #652 of 9982 Old 01-20-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:

This response frustrates me a bit. We are a small group trying to make using AV fundamentally better. I view it as solving the "Wife" problem where regardless of the universal remote technology, my wife just uses me as the remote because it is too complex.

Until we simply say "no" to companies that won't make their systems open to control, they will frustrate us. With digital signals, the difference between two similar systems is extremely small, and 18 months after you buy the "best" hardware, new hardware will be available that is better.

I propose the following basic guidelines for those of us who care about iRule and IP/Open control.

Quote:

We are committed to open protocols, standards, codes, and connectivity. We consider the control features of our devices to be as integral as signal processing, amplification, or switching. We will always give priority in our purchase decision to devices according to these guidelines:

1. The device must have a 2-way connection protocol. IP/HTTP is best, IP/Telnet second, and RS232 third.
2. We will not buy any device with solely an IR port
3. Connection ports must be open, and addressable from any compatible device. No encryption or keys required for control functions
4. All codes available on the remote or on-screen menus have corresponding control codes
5. Binary switches (on/off, mute/unmute) will have discrete and toggle codes.
6. All codes are published to the general public
7. All connectors and ports follow standard protocols (e.g.: USB ports do not manipulate voltage or other signal to require proprietary cables or connectors)

We are hundreds of pages into this thread, and the vast majority of questions are around missing codes, strange IR behavior (delays), setup of iTach devices, and other details that should not, and cannot be a part of the setup of an AV system if iRule or a system like it is to achieve critical mass.

I am so grateful to Itai for what he has done, but I do fear that at $50 a pop, it will be hard to make a sustaining business unless more devices are easy to integrate without significant dedicated professional involvement or personal dedication.

Lets start with us, and stop compromising by saying "Samsung is a great TV" when it is not, so long as they won't publish codes.
post #653 of 9982 Old 01-20-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy A-traxx View Post

4. I have X10 and it works.
You just have to take care of repetitions.
And in macro to have delays at least at 1.5 sec.

How do you actually interface with the X10 system, though? I don't see any ethernet enabled controllers that would hook into my power system. Do I have to go with something like this and send the IR commands to it? http://www.x10.com/automation/ir543_s.html

TheTVDB.com Founder
post #654 of 9982 Old 01-20-2011, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Archbid,

While I agree in general with your statements, I do not necessarly agree with the specifics. For instance I would much rather have raw TCP/IP (as you call it Telnet, It is not Telnet, Telnet uses raw TCP but all Raw TCP is not Telnet) Than HTTP due to the overhead of the later. IR is perfectly good and if standardized would solve 80% of a users requirements. I do not require feedback on everything I do, but I do require reliability.

TCP/IP is Guaranteed delivery except in the Presence of Wi-Fi, Serial communications is not, IR is not, but wired IR is up at 4-5 nines.

Our community (all those who want programmable remotes so they can do their thing) is miniscule in size compared to the general audience for A/V components.

Things will eventually be standardized over the HDMI control channel, but not in my lifetime
post #655 of 9982 Old 01-20-2011, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

There are two ways to interface X10 to contriol systems that I know of. There is a device that accepts RS232 commands and issues X10 commands. It is fully bidirectional reporting status (Asynchronously if desired) but a real dog to program correctly, By That I mean gettig all the Rs232 sequences correct. It is fully documented. Search the web.

There is a device that will interface IR to X10. It is obviously uni-directional and has some limitations. The original version was for a single house code, but I do beleive that there is a version that is totally general, that is all house and unit codes.
post #656 of 9982 Old 01-20-2011, 03:06 PM

Thanks for the info. One followup question that's kind of general. If I don't go with X10, what's a good alternative that is bidirectional, not too expensive, and not impossible to configure? Like I said, I only have two dimmer switches to control, so I'm trying to make a smart decision without going overboard.

By the way, for anyone considering iRule, so far it's been pretty easy to configure the interfaces. It is time consuming and you should plan out what you want before you start, but it's not rocket science.

TheTVDB.com Founder
post #657 of 9982 Old 01-20-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrygordon View Post

Things will eventually be standardized over the HDMI control channel, but not in my lifetime

That is what scares me most. Totally closed. Vendor controlled.

About a decade ago, I had a company that built trading systems on web platforms. We had real issues with "guaranteed delivery", for the exact reasons that you outlined in your post. Many of the senior architects dismissed HTTP for that reason.

But once we started using message queues and response queues, we started to realize the incredible power of asynchronous messaging to do extremely fault-tolerant, high-speed systems. We take it all for granted now.

With the absolutely miniscule message sizes of control systems, a little overhead for packet-based delivery is manageable. Build the control systems using two-way and just send the messages asynchronously. If a message has to go in sequence, then hold on confirm, or, better yet, design for discrete operation, and heal the problem later.

I think our mentality is so shaped by IR and Serial, and we fail to notice that IP protocols are fundamentally more advanced by now, and will improve. If we allow vendors to create new protocols, like CEC, then we will have thrown away decades of new development.
post #658 of 9982 Old 01-20-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrygordon View Post

Our community (all those who want programmable remotes so they can do their thing) is miniscule in size compared to the general audience for A/V components.

Oh, and obviously we are a pimple on a rat's a## compared to the market, but that doesn't mean that there aren't an enormous number of consumers that have a terrible experience with technology. The first Apple II user community, subscribed to Apple MUGS, was smaller than this.

Fundamentally easier to use approaches will always go viral. Always. We just have to execute.
post #659 of 9982 Old 01-20-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizell View Post

Chicken

While I like the idea of Entrances, I have yet to need them for exactly the reason you have found. Macros are the better way to solve what you'd like to do along with a Link which will provide you the ability to jump to a specific page while executing your Activities.

Process is like this - Drag an image button to your screen and just before releasing the mouse button, press and hold 'L' to turn the button into a Link. Specify where this Link is meant to take you under the properties area in the lower left hand area of the Builder (I've noticed if I don't specify this first, at least in Firefox, I can't ever again specify that this Link is meant to go anywhere)

Once the Link is in place and it knows to jump to a page, tell it what else to do - Power on TV, Power on Amplifier, Power on Blu-Ray, Delay, Switch Amp to Blu-Ray input, Switch TV to Blu-Ray Input. And if your link puts you to your Blu-Ray panel, then start controlling Blu-Ray.

Gestures are fun, but with a iPhone I felt it was too small for this, iPad I found was better but this is your own call. If you want a number pad on the screen, why not just have directional buttons as well?

Good Luck, have fun!

I'm wondering:
1 - where did you learn of the trick to hold down the "L" to create a link? I've tried that and the only thing that happens is the button related to the image is not created until after I release the "L" - no link is created.
2 - I would LOVE to create a button that is a combination of MACRO and LINK - I need this in particular for my "DONE" button to turn off the system and return to the start page. I've seen no way of doing this - am I missing something here?

Thanks for your post
post #660 of 9982 Old 01-20-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg56 View Post

I'm wondering:
1 - where did you learn of the trick to hold down the "L" to create a link? I've tried that and the only thing that happens is the button related to the image is not created until after I release the "L" - no link is created.
2 - I would LOVE to create a button that is a combination of MACRO and LINK - I need this in particular for my "DONE" button to turn off the system and return to the start page. I've seen no way of doing this - am I missing something here?

Thanks for your post

As is typical - just after I posted, I found the answers:
1 - The trick is TIMING. I was selecting the "L" too early - the sequence is, select the graphic, drag it to final position, select "L", release the mouse button.
2 - Once I did this, I could drag device codes to the link.

Sorry for the extraneous posting but these kinds of things have been a bit esoteric. Better documentation would be a very welcome addition BUT I continue to find iRule is pretty powerful. Anxious to see the final result.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Sharp Aquos , Lcd Hdtv , Receivers Amplifiers , Philips Pronto Tsu7000 The Intelligent Remote Control For Home Theater
Gear in this thread - Tsu7000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page