iRule - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 9960 Old 01-02-2011, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sometimes you just want a piece of text that can be touched and cause an action as opposed to something with an icon. Think of a list of songs (playlist), although at this time iRule needs a lot more capability to dynamically make playlists
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 9960 Old 01-02-2011, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesculus View Post

It comes with an Test.exe program.

I need something that will execute automatically with parameters. Interestingly, I don't see how to direct iTest.exe to output on a specific port.

Richard
post #63 of 9960 Old 01-02-2011, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I think you will have to code your own. If you are a programmer (able to code in one of the major languages that supports sockets) it is fairly trivial.
post #64 of 9960 Old 01-02-2011, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I've uploaded new backgrounds, including this one:

denass likes this.

Steve Goff
post #65 of 9960 Old 01-02-2011, 10:55 AM

That sounds perfect. I want to control plex with irule using ip.

I've never controlled anything using ip before.

Would you be willing to tell me how to set it up?

Regards

Darren
post #66 of 9960 Old 01-02-2011, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrygordon View Post

Sometimes you just want a piece of text that can be touched and cause anaction as opposed to something with an icon. Think of a list of songs (playlist), although at this time iRule needs a lot more capability to dynsmaically make playlists

So its basically a button without an image?

Seems they could have just made a button have both text and an image and either being optional. From your VB background you would be used to that :-)

Chris
post #67 of 9960 Old 01-02-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:

I think you will have to code your own. If you are a programmer (able to code in one of the major languages that supports sockets) it is fairly trivial.

I am a recovering programmer and do not recognize this term "trivial." Right now I'd be happy for a brief tutorial of how to connect to the iTach with telnet.

Richard
post #68 of 9960 Old 01-02-2011, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU View Post

I am a recovering programmer and do not recognize this term "trivial." Right now I'd be happy for a brief tutorial of how to connect to the iTach with telnet.

I must be missing something.

With the itest.exe app you can test your connection to each output and the stream of content. So you know the iTach is working and the commands are getting to their destination. With this you can also test if your device reponds appropriately.

After this is done then you configure the gateway in iRules with the iTach, IP and port, assign the same command via the device and load it on a panel. Then test that panel in your iTouch device.

You have it all.

Chris
post #69 of 9960 Old 01-02-2011, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Goff View Post

I wouldn't use Firefox, because of this known problem. As I mentioned before, use Chrome.

I tried Google Chrome and it crashes causing a complete Windows restart the moment it's launched. I also upgraded to SP3 which made no difference.

How about Safarie?

I think it's a bit strange that Irule Builder doesn't work on the two most popular browers in existance, IE8 and Firefox.

Do I need a MAC?

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #70 of 9960 Old 01-02-2011, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

RichardU

The itach manuals and API discussion tell you what port to talk to using raw tcpip. IIRC it is 4999. A normal telnet client may want to do the telnet handshake. I am pretty sure putty will allow you to send raw TCP to any port. I do not know what the itach will do with the telnet logon/password stuff; it might ignore it. The IRGen program on my web site will allow you to exercise the iTach but I do not think that is all you want.
post #71 of 9960 Old 01-02-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:

I must be missing something.

With the itest.exe app you can test your connection to each output and the stream of content.

I'm sure I am missing something. With iTest after I'm connected all I can do is enter something into the line Command String and then click on either Literal, Hex, or Mixed. How exactly do you tell iTest that you want to send to a specific output?

Even though I can't get much out of iTest, I do have the iTach working on half a dozen devices with hundreds of commands.

Richard
post #72 of 9960 Old 01-02-2011, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

You need to read the API documents at the Global Cache site. The string that is sent to the itach must contain the port number of the iTach that is to be used. It also needs the Ir base frequency, the timing information (on off times) and and an id which just a integer to sort out replies.

Every man has the will to know and the wit to learn but the key to knowledge is the open book.
post #73 of 9960 Old 01-02-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:

...the key to knowledge is the open book.

Agreed, although some books mislead and others deceive.

Every command I try to send in iTest results in ERR_0:0,016. (no carriage return). The program does not allow me to enter a carriage return. The word "carriage" occurs exactly five times in the API Specification, three of them in error codes. No where does it specify how to enter carriage returns. I have tried dozens of ways to enter carriage returns in both hex and raw ascii code. Any hints?

Richard
post #74 of 9960 Old 01-02-2011, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I have not looked at iTest, so I am of little assistance there. Have you tried the old standard of \\x0d or \\x0D? The IRGen program on my web site, www.the-gordons.net, will properly send strings to the iTach. It also allows you to build files of what to send, but that is a fairly complex matter
post #75 of 9960 Old 01-02-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:

Every command I try to send in iTest results in ERR_0:0,016. (no carriage return). The program does not allow me to enter a carriage return. The word "carriage" occurs exactly five times in the API Specification, three of them in error codes. No where does it specify how to enter carriage returns. I have tried dozens of ways to enter carriage returns in both hex and raw ascii code. Any hints?

Windows Telnet will send carriage return (\\x0D) when you hit enter, or if you want you can have it send both carriage return and linefeed (\\x0D\\x0A). It's not so good if you need non-printing characters in the commands themselves, but for devices that use simple ASCII strings and end with carriage return it works fine.
post #76 of 9960 Old 01-02-2011, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm sure I am missing something. With iTest after I'm connected all I can do is enter something into the line Command String and then click on either Literal, Hex, or Mixed. How exactly do you tell iTest that you want to send to a specific output?

Even though I can't get much out of iTest, I do have the iTach working on half a dozen devices with hundreds of commands.

I agree that once you have the gateway connected its almost easier to create test objects in iRules via buttons etc and see what happens.

Not much info on their website. I have the IP2IR model and so I use the 4998 port option.

iTest-ReadMe.txt13 October 2010Josh ShermanGlobal Cachéhttp://www.globalcache.comiTest is the new utility used to verify Global Caché hardware function, test IR codes and other operations. When run for the first time, your security software may present a dialog box asking if you want to allow iTest to perform network communications. For proper function select Allow" and make permanent if possible. iTest allows for connection to any Global Caché TCP network port, including ports 4998, 4999 and 5000. After specifying an IP address, choose the correct network port as needed and press connect.iTest contains three seperate send functions: Literal, Hex and Mixed. When sending literal strings, all characters input into the text field will be sent without any interpretation or additions to the string. When sending hex, strings can be oriented as hex bytes (2 characters 0-f) with, or without spaces between. What will be sent is the series of hex bytes represented by your string. When sending mixed, normal characters will be sent without translation, while any hex byte (2 characters 0-f) to be sent must be prefaced with a vertical bar "|". Inputting two vertical bars in sequence "||" will send a single vertical bar "|".http://globalcache.zendesk.com/entri...786-ip2ir-help

Chris
post #77 of 9960 Old 01-02-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:

I agree that once you have the gateway connected its almost easier to create test objects in iRules via buttons etc and see what happens.

Could you be more specific about what exactly you type into the Command String line to get a response from iTach? For example, if I type getdevices with or without \\x0d, \\x0D, \\x0D\\x0A, etc, I get ERR_0:0,016. The iTest program is connected and the iTach is working to control devices on all three channels.

Richard
post #78 of 9960 Old 01-02-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:

I have not looked at iTest, so I am of little assistance there. Have you tried the old standard of \\x0d or \\x0D?

I tried those and a few others. Thanks.

Richard
post #79 of 9960 Old 01-02-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:

I tried those and a few others. Thanks.

To send a carriage return with iTest, you need to add |0D to the command and use the button 'Mixed' to send the command.
post #80 of 9960 Old 01-02-2011, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Ahhh someone has read the manual Shame Shame (;-).

iTest sounds a little wacky. If the iTach needs a CR after every command then iTest should add it!! Just my 2 cents
post #81 of 9960 Old 01-02-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martijn View Post

To send a carriage return with iTest, you need to add |0D to the command and use the button 'Mixed' to send the command.

Thank you. This is not in the iTach manual, and while I can see how it could be inferred from the two paragraph description of iTest, it would be nice if something so basic were explicitly stated.

Richard
post #82 of 9960 Old 01-02-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:

Ahhh someone has read the manual Shame Shame (;-).

iTest sounds a little wacky. If the iTach needs a CR after every command then iTest should add it!! Just my 2 cents

I did no find it in a manual...
As I am working on the Mac OS X versions of iLearn, iHelp, iTest and iConvert (currently in private beta testing, see http://www.rmartijnr.eu/), I did just that; add a CR if none is provided by the user

Quote:

Thank you. This is not in the iTach manual, and while I can see how it could be inferred from the two paragraph description of iTest, it would be nice if something so basic were explicitly stated.

I agree, when I first tried the Windows version of iTest, I had the same problem...
It would have been nice if iTest would add a CR automatically if needed.
post #83 of 9960 Old 01-02-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

I tried Google Chrome and it crashes causing a complete Windows restart the moment it's launched. I also upgraded to SP3 which made no difference.

How about Safarie?

I think it's a bit strange that Irule Builder doesn't work on the two most popular browers in existance, IE8 and Firefox.

Do I need a MAC?

It is a bit 'finicky' but if you persist, you should be able to create a link even when using Firefox browser. I had the same difficulty and found that if you release the 'L' key very quickly, right after dropping the button onto the page where you want the button, you should be able to make the link 'stick'.
post #84 of 9960 Old 01-02-2011, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by snodric View Post

It is a bit 'finicky' but if you persist, you should be able to create a link even when using Firefox browser. I had the same difficulty and found that if you release the 'L' key very quickly, right after dropping the button onto the page where you want the button, you should be able to make the link 'stick'.

Hmmm. I've never had a problem with Chrome, and use it daily with the builder.

Steve Goff
post #85 of 9960 Old 01-02-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:

My comments on it being a bit 'finicky' were with respect to Firefox, not Chrome.
post #86 of 9960 Old 01-02-2011, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Richard, Glad you finally got it working
post #87 of 9960 Old 01-02-2011, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:

It seems it's a hardware compatability problem with my PC. Chrome works fine on another PC.

I'll keep plugging away

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #88 of 9960 Old 01-02-2011, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snodric View Post

Here is a place were lefty's have it over righty's. I find it difficult to move the cursor with my right hand on a notebook and then reach over and behind to hit the L key :-(

Chris
post #89 of 9960 Old 01-02-2011, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

It seems it's a hardware compatability problem with my PC. Chrome works fine on another PC.

I'll keep plugging away

FYI, me and many others have had problems with Chrome. I had it, didn't use it that much, uninstalled it and later reinstalled it. For a long time I was unable to get active links in email to work (wouldn't go to internet). After a lot of time and effort I found a guy with Microsoft who explained the reason my my Microsoft Office Outlook email was not functioning correctly was: When Chrome is uninstalled (or re-installed, can't remember which) it disables your email URL links. As I said, just FYI.
post #90 of 9960 Old 01-02-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A. McGahee View Post

I found a guy with Microsoft who explained the reason my my Microsoft Office Outlook email was not functioning correctly was: When Chrome is uninstalled (or re-installed, can't remember which) it disables your email URL links. As I said, just FYI.

Perfect reason to dump Outlook and move to Thunderbird. I did, and I'm happy every time I think about it.

Richard
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Sharp Aquos , Lcd Hdtv , Receivers Amplifiers , Philips Pronto Tsu7000 The Intelligent Remote Control For Home Theater
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page