AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post
Some answers above in bold.

You can't operate iRule on a PC, you can only create the design and functionality on the PC but from there the configuration must be pushed to a mobile device to use it. You will need some global cache gear in order for iRule to work on all of that equipment as well. Some can be controlled via IP with no additional gear (I'm sure you Denon and likely a couple others such as ISY), but others will need RS-232 or IR equipment to control it. I don't think Windows tablets are supported either, currently just Android and Apple products I believe. There is pre-made graphics to use for various buttons, they are somewhat limited but you can also search for user provided artwork to use as well. If you can program home automation, I'm sure you could do this as well.

All in, it's usually only $200-$400 for most people to get iRule going with everything, including the global cache gear and iRule licenses.

I'm far from an expert but have been using iRule for over a year now, though I haven't jumped into home automation yet.
I have a couple of the Global Cache pieces laying around (have to dig them up). If I can get the Denon, ISY, JRiver,and XBMC up and running on the PC then I can push it to my Android phone... I will purchase it. Now I need to see if I can get the builder to work on my PC.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9932 of 10136 Old 06-24-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 382
I see no reason Denon, JRiver and XBMC wouldn't work. The ISY is the only thing that may require some extra effort.

How exactly does CQC control your PC apps (JRiver and XBMC) today, via IR or IP?
post #9933 of 10136 Old 06-24-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I see no reason Denon, JRiver and XBMC wouldn't work. The ISY is the only thing that may require some extra effort.

How exactly does CQC control your PC apps (JRiver and XBMC) today, via IR or IP?
One of the problems I have right now is CQC will not control XBMC or JRiver... It will only use their database. Hence this is why I am looking at iRule, and Cinemar.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #9934 of 10136 Old 06-24-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
One of the problems I have right now is CQC will not control XBMC or JRiver... It will only use their database. Hence this is why I am looking at iRule, and Cinemar.
You can just plug in an IR dongle and control those with just about anything. Are you saying CQC can't even learn codes or import pronto hex?
post #9935 of 10136 Old 06-24-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
You can just plug in an IR dongle and control those with just about anything. Are you saying CQC can't even learn codes or import pronto hex?
I don't want to use ir on anything. I use lan, and serial to control everything or my keyboard and mouse currently.

post #9936 of 10136 Old 06-29-2014, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I don't want to use ir on anything. I use lan, and serial to control everything or my keyboard and mouse currently.
As long as all your devices are capable of simple IP and RS232 control then iRule will work for you. For RS232 you will need additional hardware. You can by a Global Cache or if you are running a PC all the time and is near the RS232 device, you might want to look at Eventghost for that, its free and works very well. iRule comunicates with Eventghost very nicely.

The main question for XBMC and jRiver, is what kind of control are you looking for? IE, do you want to just control or do you want feedback to be displayed on iRule?

You will also drop a lot more money for Cinemar. They went in a direction to compete against Crestron systems, which in the end will cost you a lot of money.

As for other devices, even though it may look like you should be able to control them from IP, you may not always be able to do so. Some devices developers lock third party control out.
ellisr63 likes this.

Last edited by mpg732; 06-29-2014 at 09:36 PM.
post #9937 of 10136 Old 06-30-2014, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I am thinking of moving from CQC to iRule,
I've looked at getting away from CQC as well. The good news for CQC is that it does a great job of talking to a lot of diverse hardware, and it uses few resources to do it (you could put it on a tiny computer that draws almost no power). The bad news is, the front-end interfaces are weak, and I don't imagine them ever getting good enough to use.

I'm also an iRule user, although not active. The problem is, I'm not too impressed with the front end interfaces there either. When I see someone use an entire page to control a single light, I think, who has the time to open an app, and navigate through several pages to get to one page to turn on a light? Maybe someone who wants to show off their automation system, but for me, it's too slow for regular use.

Here's my current solution (and I'm open for suggestions). I use CQC to connect everything. I have remote controls with hard buttons in every room where I typically control things (9 remotes). It's much faster for me to grab a remote and adjust lights than it is to pull out my phone, unlock it, open an app, etc. I also far prefer hard button remotes to control media as I can do it without looking, unlike an app. I get visual feedback when needed from the media program on the nearest television. Not to mention, when I'm watching television, I want my phone available to look things up.

I have a lighting system with 3-button switches to control lighting scenes (Jetstream).

When I'm near a computer, my browser homepage has a series of links that control whatever I want. I'm typing this in my office. I could click control-T to open a new tab, then click on links to turn/off lights, scenes, etc. (this also works on android phone/tablet browsers.)

But the best interface for android phone/tablets: If I double-click the Home button, it pulls up a voice command window and I simply say what I want. I'm using Tasker and AutoVoice to communicate back to CQC. I wouldn't use this to try and adjust volume, for example, but it's faster and more hands-free than anything else on a phone for basic control.

A final philosophical point. I use a Ceton cable-card tuner for my DVR. They have a great app, and they spend a lot of effort constantly making it better. CQC, nor iRule will ever be able to compete with that. Why bother trying? Same thing with Media Browser. They have a great app, and a much bigger user base than CQC will ever have. Once you take the time to go to app level, I'd rather use these apps.

Richard
post #9938 of 10136 Old 06-30-2014, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU View Post
I've looked at getting away from CQC as well. The good news for CQC is that it does a great job of talking to a lot of diverse hardware, and it uses few resources to do it (you could put it on a tiny computer that draws almost no power). The bad news is, the front-end interfaces are weak, and I don't imagine them ever getting good enough to use.

I'm also an iRule user, although not active. The problem is, I'm not too impressed with the front end interfaces there either. When I see someone use an entire page to control a single light, I think, who has the time to open an app, and navigate through several pages to get to one page to turn on a light? Maybe someone who wants to show off their automation system, but for me, it's too slow for regular use.

Here's my current solution (and I'm open for suggestions). I use CQC to connect everything. I have remote controls with hard buttons in every room where I typically control things (9 remotes). It's much faster for me to grab a remote and adjust lights than it is to pull out my phone, unlock it, open an app, etc. I also far prefer hard button remotes to control media as I can do it without looking, unlike an app. I get visual feedback when needed from the media program on the nearest television. Not to mention, when I'm watching television, I want my phone available to look things up.

I have a lighting system with 3-button switches to control lighting scenes (Jetstream).

When I'm near a computer, my browser homepage has a series of links that control whatever I want. I'm typing this in my office. I could click control-T to open a new tab, then click on links to turn/off lights, scenes, etc. (this also works on android phone/tablet browsers.)

But the best interface for android phone/tablets: If I double-click the Home button, it pulls up a voice command window and I simply say what I want. I'm using Tasker and AutoVoice to communicate back to CQC. I wouldn't use this to try and adjust volume, for example, but it's faster and more hands-free than anything else on a phone for basic control.

A final philosophical point. I use a Ceton cable-card tuner for my DVR. They have a great app, and they spend a lot of effort constantly making it better. CQC, nor iRule will ever be able to compete with that. Why bother trying? Same thing with Media Browser. They have a great app, and a much bigger user base than CQC will ever have. Once you take the time to go to app level, I'd rather use these apps.
I have decided to move to MainLobby.

post #9939 of 10136 Old 07-02-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Numeric Feedback Programming?

So where do I find documentation on programming numeric feedbacks? No, I don't need to know how to drag and drop feedbacks from the library into my panels like their current user manual clearly explains.

What is the "formula" Where do I find information of what the parameters are? In looking at some examples I see ((x / 255) * 100) a lot. OK, so x must be our data, 255 is the limit of an 8bit character (I assume that's what they want), and what about the 100? What is that number? Is it the number of horizontal pixels in the bar?

The min/max is self explanatory, I think, but then with that info, why does one need to input a formula? You should be able to build it internally based in the min/max info given?

What is the "value units" option? is this just a text label or is this providing scaling to the number. For example if I select "db", is that doing a log conversion based on the formual? and where do I specify that?

The decimal placement? What if I have a pure integer? There's no option for no decimal place or does Irule take care of that automatically? What if I want Irule to round to the nearest integer?

[rant=on]
It's been three years now since Irule feedbacks has been premiered. Yet I can't find the above information anywhere on line! And the textual feedbacks are not documented either but I have hacked my way into learning that by trial and error. If you aren't going to provide the documentation for these user options then why make them available? There are plenty of other "no programming knowledge required, drag and drop" remote programs out there. I have supported Irule since 2010 because they have a professional version that allows much more advanced functionality. But what good is that if they don't provide the documentation for advanced users?

Am I being unreasonable here?
[rant= off]

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

Last edited by Glimmie; 07-02-2014 at 01:45 PM.
post #9940 of 10136 Old 07-04-2014, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I agree with what you are saying. I too would love to see more options. You might want to post this on iRule forums.
post #9941 of 10136 Old 07-10-2014, 04:17 AM

Liked: 10
LockState Thermostat

I posted this on the iRule Support Community, but no takers yet so I figured I'd try here since I had good luck the last time. I'l try to be more brief.

I'm trying to set up my LS-90i thermostat and it appears the devices/gateways I've created are connecting as I see in the green icon drawer at the bottom of the screen. However, none of the feedback is displaying and the commands to alter the state of the thermostat are not working. Below is what I did:

Device 1 - RADIO THERMOSTAT WIFI
Device 2 - RADIO THERMOSTAT QUERY
Feedback - RADIO THERMOSTAT (tried associating to both devices)

Gateway 1 - HTTP, non-static IP Address of thermostat, tried port 0 and 80, PUT, associate to Device 1 above
Gateway 2 - HTTP, non-static IP Address of thermostat, tried port 0 and 80, GET, associate to Device 2 above

U assumed the Radio Thermostat devices would work since they units look nearly identical and one the iRule website it says that the "family of thermostats from Radio Thermostat (and private label alternatives from 3M Filtrete, LockState Connect, and Homewerks.)" are available in the module. I would assume if they could configure it, I should be able to as well.

I also tried using telnet to the thermostat to both ports 0 and 80 (as well as several other popular ports) and I always get "Could not open connection to host on port 0/80:Connect failed". I'm not sure if I have a config issue, this thermostat uses a different port or maybe it's actually not supported.

Any support/direction would be appreciated. Thanks.
post #9942 of 10136 Old 07-10-2014, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 159
When I wake my HTPC with WOL it wont connect unless I exit the panel and re-enter. IOW it shows red and wont respond unless I re-enter.

The Itach and all other gateways work fine.

I have played with different delays in the WOL settings but nothing seems to correct.

Any Ideas?
post #9943 of 10136 Old 07-10-2014, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzapola View Post
I posted this on the iRule Support Community, but no takers yet so I figured I'd try here since I had good luck the last time. I'l try to be more brief.

I'm trying to set up my LS-90i thermostat and it appears the devices/gateways I've created are connecting as I see in the green icon drawer at the bottom of the screen. However, none of the feedback is displaying and the commands to alter the state of the thermostat are not working. Below is what I did:

Device 1 - RADIO THERMOSTAT WIFI
Device 2 - RADIO THERMOSTAT QUERY
Feedback - RADIO THERMOSTAT (tried associating to both devices)

Gateway 1 - HTTP, non-static IP Address of thermostat, tried port 0 and 80, PUT, associate to Device 1 above
Gateway 2 - HTTP, non-static IP Address of thermostat, tried port 0 and 80, GET, associate to Device 2 above

U assumed the Radio Thermostat devices would work since they units look nearly identical and one the iRule website it says that the "family of thermostats from Radio Thermostat (and private label alternatives from 3M Filtrete, LockState Connect, and Homewerks.)" are available in the module. I would assume if they could configure it, I should be able to as well.

I also tried using telnet to the thermostat to both ports 0 and 80 (as well as several other popular ports) and I always get "Could not open connection to host on port 0/80:Connect failed". I'm not sure if I have a config issue, this thermostat uses a different port or maybe it's actually not supported.

Any support/direction would be appreciated. Thanks.

dzapola, I've been using a 3M-50 (did not purchase the iRule module) for several yrs with much success so let me see if I can offer some guidance. To start, let's try and take iRule out of the equation - have you been able to control it with a smart device:
1) Did the LS-90i come with instructions (or link to) so you can set it up to your current router/network?
2) Does the LS-90i have an IOS or Android app to control it

I got my 3M-50 working first to verify wifi connect-ability. Once established, I made sure iRule was setup with the Gateway to just control the device then I moved on to getting feedback...

jidelite
post #9944 of 10136 Old 07-10-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jidelite View Post
dzapola, I've been using a 3M-50 (did not purchase the iRule module) for several yrs with much success so let me see if I can offer some guidance. To start, let's try and take iRule out of the equation - have you been able to control it with a smart device:
1) Did the LS-90i come with instructions (or link to) so you can set it up to your current router/network?
2) Does the LS-90i have an IOS or Android app to control it

I got my 3M-50 working first to verify wifi connect-ability. Once established, I made sure iRule was setup with the Gateway to just control the device then I moved on to getting feedback...

jidelite
jidelite,

I was hoping someone else got an LS thermostat working, so thanks for the response. I've had the LS-90i for maybe a couple of years now and am able to control it thru the website as well as the old "LS-Connect" app and the new "LockState" app for iphone and ipad. I've searched this thread and the iRule community and have tried numerous different things prior to posting. I've tried using both the 3M and Radio Thermostat devices/feedback, port 0 (which I read somewhere it needs to be), port 80, I put my LS username and pw on the gateways and left them off, used telnet to try and connect to it on port 0, 80 and several others without getting a response. I can ping the IP Address successfully and my devices show as connected.

My HTTP gateways are simply the IP Address, port 0, GET method and the same with POST method for the other.

The devices I used are RADIO THERMOSTAT WIFI and RADIO THERMOSTAT QUERY. The feedback is RADIO THERMOSTAT. I put the Query in the Entrance as well as behind a button to try it both ways. I put all of the feedback controls on a panel just to view them, as well as a button to change the temperature. No feedback shows up and the buttons don't do anything.

I've got 8 other devices set up fine, including 4 that provide feedback. This seems like it should be straight forward, but I'm obviously missing something. Thanks again for the assist.
post #9945 of 10136 Old 07-10-2014, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

dzapola, Yeah, sorry I have never used the LS-90i...from what you have said it looks like you have everything setup correctly (the 2 HTTP Gateways, port setting (I'm using 0), correct Radio Thermostat devices, query commands setup in entrance/button etc.). So without a 90i, I'm left with the thought that the LS USNAP wifi module may not be compatible with the Radio Thermostat API (you can't even chg the temp let alone get feedback) - only if you could get someone (or the iRule support team) to verify.

jidelite
post #9946 of 10136 Old 07-15-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Where does this idea that CQC's user interface system is weak come from? The biggest problem we have is that our user interface system is so powerful that a lot of folks don't want to put in the time to learn it. That's why we've put so much time lately into standardization of device driver interfaces and creating a very nice set of auto-generated interfaces to give folks a way to get some nice interfaces without having to master the user interface design process. Though, if you want to learn it (and it's like learning any powerful program like Photoshop or whatnot, i.e. nothing that normal humans can't do) then you can create highly customized touch screen applications.

Here is a quick and dirty video I did demonstrating the new auto-generated user interfaces, and how little work is involved in getting a system set up. I 'cheated' a little here in that I used device simulator drivers so that I wouldn't have to have all of the actual hardware hooked up, but in terms of setting up CQC itself, it's not much more than this even in a more realistic scenario. Skip forward a bit if you only want to see the generated user interfaces. It demonstrates installing the drivers and going through the generation process first.

http://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/Pos...to-GenDemo.wmv

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

Last edited by Dean Roddey; 07-15-2014 at 12:47 PM.
post #9947 of 10136 Old 07-15-2014, 12:49 PM

((x / 255) * 100)

This means that the device, whatever it is, is sending a value from 0 to 255. The formula would indicate that the iRule user wants to display a percent. So, the formula converts the value sent by the device to a percent, thus, the formula. Perhaps showing the raw value would not be very useful to you. Up to you to display how you want. So, the formulas allow you to display values in the way you want to display them. I have some devices that send 51 through 60 for example, I would not want to display 51 through 60, much rather convert to something else, via formula. I find them very useful. YMMV.
post #9948 of 10136 Old 07-17-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Hey guys, can irule control my processor, it is a Sherbourn 7020, and my pioneer elite projector? If it can what do I need?
post #9949 of 10136 Old 07-18-2014, 11:44 AM

Liked: 17
Here is my theater irule on Samsung galaxy s 10.5
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-07-15-15-19-43.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	168393  
giomania likes this.
post #9950 of 10136 Old 07-18-2014, 12:19 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheenu View Post
Here is my theater irule on Samsung galaxy s 10.5
Nice buttons; is that panel shared?

What is your irule username so I can grab some of those images?

Thanks.

Mark
post #9951 of 10136 Old 07-19-2014, 10:43 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
Nice buttons; is that panel shared?

What is your irule username so I can grab some of those images?

Thanks.

Mark

I don't know how to share panels , I am new to irule with a basic license.
The picture is of my actual home theater.
post #9952 of 10136 Old 07-27-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I can query time information from my Oppo 103D via RS232: 'Elapsed time' + 'Remaining time'. However, the Oppo does not seem to offer 'Total time'. So a workaround could be to do an addition of the (2) feedbacks. How can I do this in iRule?
_____
Axel

post #9953 of 10136 Old 07-27-2014, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
iTach commands NOT from iRule

Apologies if this has been covered... Searched but couldn't find anything. Also, I understand that this is more of an iTach question than an iRule one.

I've got an HAI Omni for security and automation, Lutron RadioRA 2 for lighting and iRule for whole house remote controls.

What I'd like to be able to do is use my iTach's (I have six) independently of iRule. For example, if no motion is detected in a room for 30 minutes, issue iTach commands to turn off the audio zone and tv and to the lutron system to kill the lights. Seems HAI could handle this pretty easily over TCP/IP.
post #9954 of 10136 Old 07-27-2014, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
I can query time information from my Oppo 103D via RS232: 'Elapsed time' + 'Remaining time'. However, the Oppo does not seem to offer 'Total time'. So a workaround could be to do an addition of the (2) feedbacks. How can I do this in iRule?
_____
Axel

Hey Axel,

Give Itai a ring and ask him about Expressions. That's something that is being worked on that may get you what you need.

Alex
post #9955 of 10136 Old 07-28-2014, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
_____
Axel
Axel, I have the Oppo 93 but I believe the RS232 feedback codes are very similar. Sound like you are looking for the Total run time of a disc - have you tried the UTC (Time code update) command? It may not be in the format you are looking for but it should be there...

jidelite
post #9956 of 10136 Old 07-28-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jidelite View Post
Axel, I have the Oppo 93 but I believe the RS232 feedback codes are very similar. Sound like you are looking for the Total run time of a disc - have you tried the UTC (Time code update) command? It may not be in the format you are looking for but it should be there...

jidelite
For some reason the information for total run time does not seem to be available on mine. The same applies to total amount of chapter/track.

Are you able to query this information on your 93? If so, what query command do you use?
____
Axel

post #9957 of 10136 Old 07-28-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
For some reason the information for total run time does not seem to be available on mine. The same applies to total amount of chapter/track.

Are you able to query this information on your 93? If so, what query command do you use?
____
Axel
From the protocol doc:

"UTC - Time Code Update:
Sent every second when the playback time advances. The time information is the same as the front panel display."

So it's essentially saying that whatever is displayed on the screen of the Oppo is what will display on your device. From the Oppo manual, to change the display you use the Page Up and Page Down buttons to change that display. That means that only one time will show current and correct. I had the following just for testing:

Track Time: 00:03:23
Title Time: 01:00:19
Remaining Time: 00:30:13

As I switched the display on the Oppo, the one that was active would start counting and the others stopped.

The protocol doc says to refer to the STC command for switching the display. I haven't looked into that yet, but I suppose you could create device codes for each of the display options (E, R, T, X, C, K) and add them to the Entrance to cycle thru them to update the times. The Entrance would need to repeat, so I'm not sure that's a good solution since it may suck the battery down. Or create buttons for each one to quickly check the time for what you want.

If you haven't yet, you may need to create custom feedbacks to display the other times you want to display ("UTC*X ").

Would be nice if all of the times were available instead of the one visible on the Oppo, maybe that's something that's patchable.
post #9958 of 10136 Old 07-28-2014, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I heard back from Oppo Support: "Unfortunately there is no way to query the total available time. The player was designed to query elapsed and remaining time, and not total run time."

It seems that I may have to look into the Expressions Alex had mentioned.

____

Axel

post #9959 of 10136 Old 07-28-2014, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Axel, dzapola - Man I apologize for the misinformation - obviously I was WRONG!! When I responded this afternoon I was going off memory. Got home to check my iRule/Oppo display and ...checked in to explain and oh well, that's what I get for not checking first. Sorry again...

jidelite
post #9960 of 10136 Old 07-29-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

no problem, jidelite.
____
Axel

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Sharp Aquos , Lcd Hdtv , Receivers Amplifiers , Philips Pronto Tsu7000 The Intelligent Remote Control For Home Theater
Gear in this thread - Tsu7000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page