Forum Jump: 

post #9961 of 9986 Old 08-01-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Mitsubishi Mini-Split HVAC Control

Has anyone tried to control a Mitsubishi mini-split heat pump A/C unit from iRule? The Mitsu unit uses Honeywell RedLink RF remote control, but has some sort of "Internet Gateway"which allows control from a phone app. Is there an API (or other hook) that we could use to control it from iRule?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9962 of 9986 Old 08-11-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 36
iRule has announced that V4 will contain logic for variables.

Any insiders with more info ? Release date ?

One thing I'd really like to see is the date and time being available. Combined with variables and logic this would be really powerful for automation.

Cheers,
post #9963 of 9986 Old 08-13-2014, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That's good to hear.

I hope it includes setting variables with feedback.
post #9964 of 9986 Old 08-13-2014, 08:32 AM

This forum is a bit quiet lately. Are people going elsewhere to discuss iRule or is the novelty wearing off?

Neil
post #9965 of 9986 Old 08-13-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by fornold View Post
That's good to hear.

I hope it includes setting variables with feedback.
It does! One example would be your AV receivers mute status or surround mode driving a variable to set image states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffneil View Post
This forum is a bit quiet lately. Are people going elsewhere to discuss iRule or is the novelty wearing off?
It's the end of summer. People are taking their last bits of vacations, getting in one last trip to wherever, still boating, etc. Things are always pretty slow in home theater in June/July/August. HT forum activity and industry news start picking back up a little before CEDIA when kids are going back to school and everybody is getting back in the fall grind.

SC

I've got GAS: Gadget Acquisition Syndrome.
post #9966 of 9986 Old 08-13-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
iRule has announced that V4 will contain logic for variables.

Any insiders with more info ? Release date ?
The plan is to have the new release at CEDIA, so end of August/beginning of September. Beta testing begins in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
One thing I'd really like to see is the date and time being available. Combined with variables and logic this would be really powerful for automation.
I'm curious about your ideas for this... I could see some macros for "home" and "away" buttons that could conditionally change lighting depending on time of day (which could also be done with an automation controller), but do you have some other ideas how you'd use a time/date variable? Thanks - just curious what you're thinking about.

Cheers,
SC

I've got GAS: Gadget Acquisition Syndrome.
post #9967 of 9986 Old 08-13-2014, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrabb View Post
I'm curious about your ideas for this... I could see some macros for "home" and "away" buttons that could conditionally change lighting depending on time of day (which could also be done with an automation controller), but do you have some other ideas how you'd use a time/date variable? Thanks - just curious what you're thinking about.
I'd like to be able to log when my sons start gaming and then auto-shutdown after a set period.

Yes ... I'm the dad from hell !!

Cheers,
post #9968 of 9986 Old 08-16-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Last time I checked, it was impossible to port all the work I'd done designing pages from my iPad 3 to a generic Android tablet. Has this been made any easier than starting from scratch. IIRC only a very few Android tablet models were supported. Is this still the case? I'd like to be able to buy cheap tablets and wall mount them in each room, but not if it means having to reassemble everything from scratch again.
post #9969 of 9986 Old 08-24-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
New iRule user - hardware recommendations please

I have been using Harmony remotes for quite a while. My current Harmony One is starting to die a slow death and line of sight has become an issue, so I paid for the pro version of iRule. I dutifully made custom activities/screens and am hoping to get some current hardware recommendations. For now I'll only be using iRule to control my living room setup:

Epson 3020 PJ (w/Klipsch reference series 5.1)
Vizio M Series TV (w/Vizio soundbar 2.1)

Denon X3000 (5.1 for PJ use, Zone 2 audio out to deck speakers)

xfinity X1
AppleTV
Wii
Panasonic BluRay

For the Epson I figured I'd need a wifi solution since it is ceiling mounted. For the rest I can do either wifi or ethernet. I'll use IR for everything except the Denon (serial). Are Global Cache products still recommended? I've read some posts discouraging the Flex line. What makes sense for my situation?

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
post #9970 of 9986 Old 08-25-2014, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I see that iRule basic is limited to 3 "unique" devices. iRule doesn't define what it considers as "unique" devices. Is unique the OS as in Android or IOS or does unique mean tablet or phone? I am thinking of being able to use iRule for a Galazy Tab, Nook HD+ & Nexus 7; would that be possible as the tablets are unique to each other; & does unique mean branded name devices?

Waiting for the ITach ip2ir to arrive & will be using it with TouchSquid on the Tab 2 initially & possibly the Nook HD+. Currently having problems with TouchSquid changing the volume when changing channels watching TV when only the cable box & tv are being used.

Any problems with iRule & custom roms as in have updated Tab 2 & Nook HD+ to KitKat 4.4.4?
post #9971 of 9986 Old 08-25-2014, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
A device is a combination of OS and screen resolution. I have a Kindle and 2 other generic android tablets all running the same 'devive' as they are all android and 1024/600 resolution.

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
post #9972 of 9986 Old 08-25-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomSeen31 View Post
A device is a combination of OS and screen resolution. I have a Kindle and 2 other generic android tablets all running the same 'devive' as they are all android and 1024/600 resolution.
THANK YOU!, So, I can use it on my Tab 2 7 (1280x800) & the Nook HD+ (1920x1080) as 2 devices. Adding both the Nexus 7 & Acer A700 would still have me as only 2 devices as both are Android & 1920x1080. Of course the A700 (10.1 display) would be overkill & probably won't do it.

Got email that the iTach will arrive tomorrow
post #9973 of 9986 Old 08-25-2014, 02:32 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by citrus View Post
THANK YOU!, So, I can use it on my Tab 2 7 (1280x800) & the Nook HD+ (1920x1080) as 2 devices. Adding both the Nexus 7 & Acer A700 would still have me as only 2 devices as both are Android & 1920x1080. Of course the A700 (10.1 display) would be overkill & probably won't do it.

Got email that the iTach will arrive tomorrow
A handset can be device OR unique GUI. So if you have 5 iPhone5/5s handsets and all use the same GUI then it is 1 handset. However, if you have husband, wife, kid 1, kid 2, kid 3 and each one uses iPhone 5/5s BUT each has their own GUI, that is 5 handsets.

With Android, it is more complicated because different devices, though having same screen resolution, will have different USABLE pixel count thus, would be different handset type.

Alex
post #9974 of 9986 Old 08-25-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osupike99 View Post
A handset can be device OR unique GUI. So if you have 5 iPhone5/5s handsets and all use the same GUI then it is 1 handset. However, if you have husband, wife, kid 1, kid 2, kid 3 and each one uses iPhone 5/5s BUT each has their own GUI, that is 5 handsets.

With Android, it is more complicated because different devices, though having same screen resolution, will have different USABLE pixel count thus, would be different handset type.

Alex

Now define "GUI". Different "themes"? or IOS5/IOS6 etc? USABLE pixel count = different GUI? but each iPhone 5 is supposed to have the same pixel count for display even if each use a different "theme".

But then if iRule is installed, & I change the "GUI"/theme would that count as 2? On an Android, I can also change the GUI by changing the custom rom to another version by someone else; will iRule then see that it is already installed so that the new GUI won't be counted as another device?

iRule should really define what is meant by "unique" device.

Regarding different GUI on iPhone 5/5s, would that GUI really mean using different templates & NOT using pixel count to determine a different device?

Unlikely, I'll run into a greater than 3 device problem but if having an extra button on a different tablet means that the GUI is different, then there is a huge problem regarding device usage.
post #9975 of 9986 Old 08-26-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:

Now define "GUI". Different "themes"? or IOS5/IOS6 etc? USABLE pixel count = different GUI? but each iPhone 5 is supposed to have the same pixel count for display even if each use a different "theme".

But then if iRule is installed, & I change the "GUI"/theme would that count as 2? On an Android, I can also change the GUI by changing the custom rom to another version by someone else; will iRule then see that it is already installed so that the new GUI won't be counted as another device?

iRule should really define what is meant by "unique" device.

Regarding different GUI on iPhone 5/5s, would that GUI really mean using different templates & NOT using pixel count to determine a different device?

Unlikely, I'll run into a greater than 3 device problem but if having an extra button on a different tablet means that the GUI is different, then there is a huge problem regarding device usage.

Regarding different GUI on iPhone 5/5s, would that GUI really mean using different templates & NOT using pixel count to determine a different device? --- YES, different GUI could be that your wife likes a simple control layout while you want more control functions at your finger tips. 2 iPhones have same pixel count BUT different GUI, thus 2 handsets.

As for Android.... if the ROM that load changes the usable screen resolution, you should still be able to sync with that handset, it's just that your images could possibly get skewed because of possible pixel shift.

Alex
post #9976 of 9986 Old 08-26-2014, 10:30 AM

Would be interesting on how or if iRule keeps track of the templates one uses, especially if one tries different templates; hopefully iRule will still count the device as "1" with each template used.

I expect that I will be using the same template on 2 devices which will have 2 different resolutions, 1280x800 & 1920x1080; will be checking if my iRule will be counted as 1 device as both are Android & with the same GUI.

Got iTach delivered & now time to play & not get frustrated?

paul
post #9977 of 9986 Old 08-26-2014, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I am looking for some guidance on lighting control. I have been using iRule since it came out. I love the product and have pushed many to it.

I am controlling most everything in my house currently via IP. I am wanting to add lighting control in my media room. I would like to be able to have lights dim/off when I hit play and brighten whenI hit pause or stop. I am looking for options on what will integrate best with iRule and what is easiest to maintain? Looking at Vera, Lutron Smart Bridge Pro and ISY.

I also want to control a couple other lights through out the house as well. Also I want to keep this as affordable as possible. Thanks in advance
post #9978 of 9986 Old 08-26-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Would be interesting on how or if iRule keeps track of the templates one uses, especially if one tries different templates; hopefully iRule will still count the device as "1" with each template used.

I expect that I will be using the same template on 2 devices which will have 2 different resolutions, 1280x800 & 1920x1080; will be checking if my iRule will be counted as 1 device as both are Android & with the same GUI.

Got iTach delivered & now time to play & not get frustrated?

paul

It doesn't count templates. In your case, you will be having 2 handsets used up in the builder with having 2 devices with different resolutions. Same looking GUI though.
post #9979 of 9986 Old 08-27-2014, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audixium View Post
I have been using Harmony remotes for quite a while. My current Harmony One is starting to die a slow death and line of sight has become an issue, so I paid for the pro version of iRule. I dutifully made custom activities/screens and am hoping to get some current hardware recommendations. For now I'll only be using iRule to control my living room setup:

Epson 3020 PJ (w/Klipsch reference series 5.1)
Vizio M Series TV (w/Vizio soundbar 2.1)

Denon X3000 (5.1 for PJ use, Zone 2 audio out to deck speakers)

xfinity X1
AppleTV
Wii
Panasonic BluRay

For the Epson I figured I'd need a wifi solution since it is ceiling mounted. For the rest I can do either wifi or ethernet. I'll use IR for everything except the Denon (serial). Are Global Cache products still recommended? I've read some posts discouraging the Flex line. What makes sense for my situation?
Global Cache products have worked great for me. I'd recommend them! Depending where all your gear is located, you may only need one IP2IR iTach. Each IP2IR iTach comes with two individual IR repeaters and a single IR blaster. Say for example your gear is located on the side of your room like mine. I had a single IR blaster that shot into the room which hit the projector and the AV gear. So one iTach with one blaster worked for a while until I added some IR controlled items.

If your gear sits under the screen you very well may be able to buy two IP2IR iTachs and control everything including the projector. Have the first wired iTach sit in the AV rack and fire a IR blaster into the room which would control the projector and possibly the TV depending on the angle. The other two outputs from the first iTach could use IR repeaters and control your Denon and BluRay player. Your second iTach can have three IR repeaters and control your cable box, AppleTV, and Wii.

Basically, the options are endless and it just depends on where all your gear sits. Just come up with a game plan and place an order.
post #9980 of 9986 Old 08-27-2014, 04:36 PM

Will need to go thru the tutorial again, BUT does "everyone" have Watch TV go thru the AVR? Gave up trying to set Watch TV just to use the cable box & TV without luck; also the "Music" appears to require a CD config & not let me use a Blu-Ray player to do it.

Of course, I wasn't able to assign 2 Blu-Ray players to watch movie or listen to music; I want to be able to use either player for music & movie. And be able to play a movie or listen to music from a laptop or tablet.

So far am disappointed. Didn't get too far in trying to set the configuration before quitting.

Did find that the builder states that a handset is defined as a resolution & just to select a handset based on the resolution if the device isn't listed; guess handset = device = resolution.

Only selected the Trial which may be different than the purchased; if so then I won't buy as the Trial tells me that iRule won't work for what I want & really not that configurable.
post #9981 of 9986 Old 08-27-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post
Global Cache products have worked great for me. I'd recommend them! Depending where all your gear is located, you may only need one IP2IR iTach. Each IP2IR iTach comes with two individual IR repeaters and a single IR blaster. Say for example your gear is located on the side of your room like mine. I had a single IR blaster that shot into the room which hit the projector and the AV gear. So one iTach with one blaster worked for a while until I added some IR controlled items.

If your gear sits under the screen you very well may be able to buy two IP2IR iTachs and control everything including the projector. Have the first wired iTach sit in the AV rack and fire a IR blaster into the room which would control the projector and possibly the TV depending on the angle. The other two outputs from the first iTach could use IR repeaters and control your Denon and BluRay player. Your second iTach can have three IR repeaters and control your cable box, AppleTV, and Wii.

Basically, the options are endless and it just depends on where all your gear sits. Just come up with a game plan and place an order.
Thanks - I ordered one iTach Flex IP Infrared Kit for now. I intend to use it as suggested, but plan to control the Denon via IP to enable feedback.

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
post #9982 of 9986 Old 08-28-2014, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Will need to go thru the tutorial again, BUT does "everyone" have Watch TV go thru the AVR? Gave up trying to set Watch TV just to use the cable box & TV without luck; also the "Music" appears to require a CD config & not let me use a Blu-Ray player to do it.

Of course, I wasn't able to assign 2 Blu-Ray players to watch movie or listen to music; I want to be able to use either player for music & movie. And be able to play a movie or listen to music from a laptop or tablet.

So far am disappointed. Didn't get too far in trying to set the configuration before quitting.

Did find that the builder states that a handset is defined as a resolution & just to select a handset based on the resolution if the device isn't listed; guess handset = device = resolution.

Only selected the Trial which may be different than the purchased; if so then I won't buy as the Trial tells me that iRule won't work for what I want & really not that configurable.

You can manually adjust everything to be what YOU needed it to be. Look through tutorials on support.iruleathome.com for Macros tutorial.
post #9983 of 9986 Old 08-30-2014, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
You can assign any command or series of commands you want to any button you want. If you want the "Watch TV" button to turn off the AVR, turn on the TV and Cable Box, and switch to a panel that controls the TV and Cable Box, then assign those commands to that button.

It sounds like you are going through the initial setup in the builder which tries to walk you through the setup by assigning devices. That is just a very basic way of getting you started.

You don't really assign devices to buttons or activities. You assign commands and series of commands. These can be from any number of devices.

Here's an example:
When I press the Music button on my homepage, the following happens:
-Projector turns off (may already be off, but I send the OFF command just in case)
-AVR turns on (may already be on, but I send the ON command just in case)
-AVR switches to CD input
-tablet jumps me to a page with a CD button, Pandora button and iPod button.

When I press the CD button:
-AVR switches to CD input (I have my BluRay player double connected with coax to the CD input and HDMI to the BluRay input of the AVR)
-AVR switches to Direct sound mode
-BluRay player turns on
-tablet jumps to a page with the BluRay player controls

When I press the Pandora button:
-AVR switches to Pandora input
-AVR switches to Stereo sound mode
-tablet jumps to a page that displays the Pandora info including cover art and navigation controls.

When I press the iPod button:
-AVR switches to iPod (I have an iPod plugged into an iPod / USB input on the AVR)
-AVR switches to Stereo sound mode
-tablet jumps to a page with the iPod controls

Now let's say I want to switch from listening to music to watching TV. I would press the Watch TV button and the following would happen:
-Projector turns on
-AVR switches to TV
-tablet jumps to a page that controls my Comcast Cable Box

So I go through the AVR for everything, but you can set up your commands to do whatever you need.

Quote:

post #9984 of 9986 Old 08-30-2014, 02:19 PM

@Bacon13

I see what you mean. I did go thru the Initial Builder; didn't see any way to do it & the tutorial just go thru the initial builder. It may be that the iRule is quite restrictive in what a person is can/allowed? to do. I'm aware that the icons are associated with a command for a device but how to get at it?

Even the Harmony remote devices let people assign/define devices prior & let the users create their activities using whatever devices are defined instead of the constricted backwards method by iRule. I did read that one can define new activities & use whatever but that's for only after the initial configuration.

I'll look into it again to see if the initial builder can be bypassed in the trial version to do what I want. Right now it doesn't look like iRule is highly configurable as some stated but appears to be more restrictive; the "flexibility" is only for the looks & not the substance. I should be able to "define" a device for any possible use even if it is not used or no longer used; and associate any defined/configured device to any activity at will.

A really bad thing is to eliminate the dvd player in the association with the define play music (music icon); don't see any cd player in my price range or that they are better than using a dvd to play a cd.

Will also look into the initial builder if it will let me define my own "activity" & associate my choices for the devices to use without following the script in the trial version.

Last edited by citrus; 08-30-2014 at 02:21 PM. Reason: corrected a mispell of from "got" to "go"
post #9985 of 9986 Old 08-30-2014, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
iRule is extremely configurable as you can assign any button to do anything. I think you are still getting hung up on the idea of pre-configured panels for the devices you select. That's the purpose of the initial builder, but you can start from scratch with a blank panel, drag and drop buttons and assign individual commands to that button. You can assign your panels to activities.

Let's say you have lighting control and want the lights to dim when you press play for a movie... You would set up the play button to not only have the Blu-Ray play command, but it would also have the command for dimming the lights.

And conversely, if you pause and want the lights to come up to a certain level, you can have the BluRay pause command and the lighting command on the same button.

If you already went through the initial builder, then you have at least one panel that does something. If you click on the image of the button, it will hilight on the left hand side. There you can see the different commands assigned to that button. You can delete what you don't want and drag and drop any command or set of commands from the right hand side of the builder under each of your devices.

Quote:
@Bacon13

I see what you mean. I did go thru the Initial Builder; didn't see any way to do it & the tutorial just go thru the initial builder. It may be that the iRule is quite restrictive in what a person is can/allowed? to do. I'm aware that the icons are associated with a command for a device but how to get at it?

Even the Harmony remote devices let people assign/define devices prior & let the users create their activities using whatever devices are defined instead of the constricted backwards method by iRule. I did read that one can define new activities & use whatever but that's for only after the initial configuration.

I'll look into it again to see if the initial builder can be bypassed in the trial version to do what I want. Right now it doesn't look like iRule is highly configurable as some stated but appears to be more restrictive; the "flexibility" is only for the looks & not the substance. I should be able to "define" a device for any possible use even if it is not used or no longer used; and associate any defined/configured device to any activity at will.

A really bad thing is to eliminate the dvd player in the association with the define play music (music icon); don't see any cd player in my price range or that they are better than using a dvd to play a cd.

Will also look into the initial builder if it will let me define my own "activity" & associate my choices for the devices to use without following the script in the trial version.
Gator99 likes this.
post #9986 of 9986 Old Today, 12:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question?

I own two Global cache IP2IR's. One allows me to send a string of numbers for TV channel changing and the other one doesn't. It only sends the first number the rest are blocked.

Is there a setting within the IP2IR I need to change. If so where as I cannot seem to find it

Thanks....
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Sharp Aquos , Lcd Hdtv , Receivers Amplifiers , Philips Pronto Tsu7000 The Intelligent Remote Control For Home Theater
Gear in this thread - Tsu7000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page