Forum Jump: 

post #10111 of 10118 Old 10-15-2014, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDHolmes View Post
To put this in different words, you don't really want to get rid of the basket of remotes next to your viewing chair. You want to replace them with a folder of APPs on you Smart Device.

No integration, just select the TV APP to turn on the TV and select the TV input, then select the AVR APP to turn on the AVR and select the Blu-Ray input, then select the Blu-Ray APP To control the Blu-Ray-Ray player. Then when you are done reverse the above process.
I would say that I would rather use a hard-buttoned remote for control of A/V gear, with maybe an app like Roomie or Logitech Harmony in place of iRule. Then, when I want to control my Thermostat switch to the Nest app, Lights switch to Smartthings/Staples Connect/Lutron, Camera switch to Dropcam, etc. iRule's modules system is clunky and way too overpriced. Frankly, the per module per handset pricing system is a ripoff in my opinion.

Quote:
iRule provides the potential for seamless integration between an almost unlimited portfolio of devices. The user interface has the potential for almost unlimited customization. How much of this power is actually used for you system is completly up to you.

Is iRule perfect? No, it can't do everything. If you happen to have devices that are not in the database, it is possible to use the learning capability of the iTach device to build your own set of IR Codes. This gets iRule pretty close to be able to do whatever you want and provide an integrated approach to controlling pretty much everything in your House.

Disclaimer, I do not work for iRule nor do I have any financial interest in iRule. I am just a satisfied user that has been using iRule control my A/V devices for more than three years.

When my Blu-Ray player died recently it took me less that 15 minutes to update my iRule System to the new player from a different manufacturer.
I agree completely that you get out of iRule what you put into it. I have probably put 100+ hours into multiple interfaces over the years, but I'm sick of doing that and going forward I want an app that actually looks nice and is easy to use, not one I have to design myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10112 of 10118 Old 10-15-2014, 02:39 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
I'm totally new to all of this, but I am looking to implement some control of my equipment and lighting in my theater. I was going to have some AV guy setup a system, but someone suggested I look into iRule, and Insteon lights. This looks like it might be a great way for me to save some money, but I'm not clear on exactly what I'll need to get started. I know I'll need the iRule software, and one of the global caches (not sure which though), but I'm not sure what I need from Insteon, and what I'd use to communicate between the two. Can anyone explain this to me and break down everything I'll need? I won't necessarily be in a rush to have everything perfect, so I can take the time to learn how to make it work right. I do want to make sure I understand the concept for it though and plan for any wiring I'd have to do before I start construction.
What hardware you will need to buy depends on what you need to control. You will need an IOS or Android device as a remote. You will also need a wireless router preferably connected to the internet. You create your layout with in the web builder and then DL them to your device. IR and RS232 controlled devices will need a global cache device. IP control does not need any additional hardware. Amusing those devices are connected to your network.
post #10113 of 10118 Old 10-15-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I now have iRule controlling:
My whole (very sophisticated ) theater,
My family room TV,
A smaller TV in the kitchen
Master Bath.

It's pretty coool that anywhere I want to watch TV (or comandeer control), I just pull out my phone (or ipad) and I'm in command!

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #10114 of 10118 Old 10-16-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

One thing. Why can't I get IR control to work with my APPLE TV.

I've tried all codes
My GC is sending the codes but no response.
Cannot figure his out.

Any ideas?!

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #10115 of 10118 Old 10-16-2014, 05:25 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

I've tried all codes
Cannot figure his out.

Any ideas?!
Should work but may be take a look at this.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3296
post #10116 of 10118 Old 10-17-2014, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

I've tried all codes
Cannot figure his out.

Any ideas?!
I know that when Roomie used to use IR and Global Cache for Apple TV you had to unpair the existing remote.
post #10117 of 10118 Old 10-17-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by therockhr View Post
I know that when Roomie used to use IR and Global Cache for Apple TV you had to unpair the existing remote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg732
Should work but may be take a look at this.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3296

I'll try that. I tried the suggestion above but had a hard time getting commands copied. I did a few and then they still didn't work.

For now I am using 'launch' but will give this a go.

Thanks!

post #10118 of 10118 Old 10-18-2014, 06:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

For iRule, is there really any advantage in using the Mini with Retina over the Standard Mini?

I have a remote for my Ipad Air and one on my iPhone 6+ to control my theater.

If I buy an newly discounted Ipad MINI or MINI w/ Retina, will both remotes translate well to either new device and work and look correctly?

Thanks!

Last edited by thebland; 10-18-2014 at 06:42 AM.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Sharp Aquos , Lcd Hdtv , Receivers Amplifiers , Philips Pronto Tsu7000 The Intelligent Remote Control For Home Theater
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page