AVS Forum banner
967K views 12K replies 891 participants last post by  Dan in St. Louis 
#1 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrygordon /forum/post/19727379

aag,

Think of it as an itach but only with a single serial output. You would go directly from iRule to the "ethernet to serial converter" using TCPIP. The text you would send would be what you would have sent over the RS232 connection.

I just bought one of the ethernet to serial converters so I can play with it with my system. It is due in on Monday, so by Friday I should have it all figured out (If my ego does not get in the way, and I have some free time).

That's great! In this case, Barry, I will patiently wait until you report whether you get the whole contraption to work effectively and reliably!

I have no experience with ethernet-to-serial, but I tried ethernet-to-USB several times over the past 15 years, and things invariably ended with tears
. Hence I am particularly grateful that you go in first!

I am flying over to the West Coast in late January. I will try to have the boards and stuff shipped to my hotel, thus avoiding the immense postal and customs charges levied for shipping to the Alpine Republic where I live. Often, the charges exceed the value of the equipment!

See less See more
#8,554 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu  /t/1351981/irule/8550#post_23571640

RS45, Denon 4311 should be able to control via IP, so no additional GC required.

PS3 need a blu-ray to IR converter, and then you will need a GC with IR. Wii I think you can't do anything except using the Wii controller.

Your emotiva unlikely need any IR control...

what DVR box you have? Some newer DirectTV or DishTV box have IP control, I believe.

So how is the IP connection made? Do I run a Cat6 cable from the back of my WiFi router to the RS45 and the 4311? And that's it?

I have my PS3 on the main floor where I have a Harmony 900 in use. I do have the Harmony IR to bluetooth adaptor but I think it is on the fritz. So what kind/brand of adaptor do I need for the PS3? Will it still be IR to bluetooth?

And for the Wii I will use the Wii remote.

I guess the only thing I need for the Emotiva is just to turn it on and off. Can I link up the Emotiva with my 4311 so my Emotiva is turned on and off that way?

The DVR box is up in the air right now. I had Comcast until last month when I switched to Uverse. I have had more problems than I can count. So I may be switching again. I don't know to what. Maybe back to Comcast. But, I am curious about the satellite providers. Google Fiber was announced not long ago for my area of Kansas City so I am hoping maybe sometime next year I will get to try it out. But anyway you are saying that my DVR box might have IP control and this would be the preferred method? If not then IR?

#8,555 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant  /t/1351981/irule/8550#post_23569478

I am considering irule for my soon to be completed dedicated room with all equipment outside of the room. I have an Insteon setup I will be using for lighting control.

I am unsure about what type of Global Cache I will need. My equipment is as follows.

-JVC RS45 - IP through cat5/6 and existing network

-Emotiva XPA-5 - will need to hook this up via 12v trigger from the Denon

-Denon 4311- IP through cat5/6 and existing network

-PS3/PS4 - IR adapter and you'll need a Global Cache

-360/One - - IR blaster and you'll need a Global Cache

-Wii/Wii U - Use existing remote

-DVR box - - IR blaster and you'll need a Global Cache

-QSC DSP30 - another need for a 12v trigger, might be able to split off the 12v trigger from the Denon

-Plan on adding a Synology box

Is there any advantage to controlling any of these devices with RS232? Or can I use IR for everything? I was looking at the GC-100-6 and the iTach IP2IR if I don't need RS232. I understand there is a converter to go to RS232 as well if I need to (is that correct)? And can't I just add a 3 way IR splitter if I need more IR wires?

Start looking on eBay for a GC-100-12. There are generally a few of them that are used but in working condition. That's where I got mine and it works great, plus I used the RS232 for the Pioneer AVR and am switching to 232 for my DVDO DUO, very soon! You can split IR cables but I am unsure how you would assign it in iRule.

Any considerations for playing nice with the Insteon setup? I will be using the ISY 994i. http://www.insteon.com/12237DB-ISY-994i.html

Thanks,

Grant

#8,556 ·
#8,557 ·
Does anyone have the IR hex codes for TiVo Series 3? I can't find them anywhere and am forced to use the IP controls that limits me to only one iRule device. Thanks

#8,560 ·
Thanks Bronco,

I ordered the GC 100-12. That is a great find considering the msrp is $299 and the cheapest new price is usually around $230. So for $50 I am going to roll the dice. GC seems to make a great product so I bet there is a long life expectancy with these units.

#8,561 ·
Ok guys, after getting Sonos and the new Nexus 7 tablet, I want to do more with the tablet and have been looking at iRule. I just don't know what I need.

Components in Great room that I want to control consist of:

Sony KDL60EX645 smart tv (wired w/ cat5e)

Yamaha RX-V2600 Receiver

PS3 (wired w/ cat 5e)

Cable modem, router, switch are located in the basement utility room up on a shelf.

Thanks!

#8,562 ·
Last night my iPAD I started malfunctioning using iRule HD. Whenever I touch an icon I get two commands with ever screen, every button. I also have iRule HD on my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone and the 10" tablet. I set them up months ago and they still function flawlessly. In addition iRule is crashing every two or three command clicks on the iPad. Wasn't there a new iRule release for iOS? Any suggestions?

Thanks, Rich

#8,563 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Gibson  /t/1351981/irule/8550#post_23582911

Last night my iPAD I started malfunctioning using iRule HD. Whenever I touch an icon I get two commands with ever screen, every button. I also have iRule HD on my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone and the 10" tablet. I set them up months ago and they still function flawlessly. In addition iRule is crashing every two or three command clicks on the iPad. Wasn't there a new iRule release for iOS? Any suggestions?
That's unfortunate. Yes, there was just a new release. Did you just update to it?

For starters, try rebooting your iPad.

If rebooting doesn't fix the bad behavior, then try deleting iRule HD and install the main iRule app. The two should be the same, but maybe there is a difference. The iRule HD (just for iPad) app is going away at some point; the main iRule app is already universal, so in short, nobody needs the dedicated iRule HD app anymore. Anyway, make sure your gateways are backed up before you delete iRule HD. Once you install iRule, you can enter your user/pass, sync the handset, then Restore Gateways, and you should be back up and running. Post whether you're back up and running or not.

Cheers,

SC

#8,564 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYHomeTheater  /t/1351981/irule/8550#post_23576609

Does anyone have the IR hex codes for TiVo Series 3? I can't find them anywhere and am forced to use the IP controls that limits me to only one iRule device. Thanks
Have you tried the IR device already in the Builder called "TiVo Cable Premier All Models"?

SC

#8,565 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant  /t/1351981/irule/8550#post_23578702

I ordered the GC 100-12. That is a great find considering the msrp is $299 and the cheapest new price is usually around $230. So for $50 I am going to roll the dice. GC seems to make a great product so I bet there is a long life expectancy with these units.

They are a pretty good deal... Just remember you'll have to add IR emitters (which are normally included). Not that it's a big deal - just sayin'. The GC-100 has also been around for a very long time, so these GC-100's could have been powered on 24/7 for something like 5 or 6 years or more. They're pretty bulletproof, so probably not an issue, but just pointing that out. Also, since these could be quite old, they could have older firmware and be a bit more difficult to set up.

Please note I'm not trying to dissuade anybody; I bought a surplus GC-100 when I bought mine, too. I just want everybody to consider all the issues and make an informed decision if they decide to purchase an older or surplus model.

Also, the GC-100 (regardless of new or used) only supports one iRule client at a time. It doesn't affect most people doing dedicated theaters, and it's been mentioned in this thread many times, but since the thread is huge, I thought I'd mention it again.

Cheers,

SC

#8,566 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrabb  /t/1351981/irule/8550#post_23583035

...Also, the GC-100 (regardless of new or used) only supports one iRule client at a time. It doesn't affect most people doing dedicated theaters, and it's been mentioned in this thread many times, but since the thread is huge, I thought I'd mention it again.

Doesn't the latest version of iRule help multiple clients share a port on the GC-100? i.e. the new ability to restore a closed TCP connection on a button press. Seems like the GC-100 allows another client to steal a connection that's been idle for 10 seconds or more, and now iRule plays along with that by restoring connections automatically.

I haven't had the time to try that myself yet, but it sounds like it should help quite a lot. It would be even better if the GC-100 allowed the idle timeout to be reduced to a second or two, but I don't think it does.

#8,567 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99  /t/1351981/irule/8550#post_23583059

Doesn't the latest version of iRule help multiple clients share a port on the GC-100? i.e. the new ability to restore a closed TCP connection on a button press. Seems like the GC-100 allows another client to steal a connection that's been idle for 10 seconds or more, and now iRule plays along with that by restoring connections automatically.

I haven't had the time to try that myself yet, but it sounds like it should help quite a lot. It would be even better if the GC-100 allowed the idle timeout to be reduced to a second or two, but I don't think it does.

Yes, it's better now, so for some people/applications it might be OK. You shouldn't have to put the second device to sleep and wake it up (or leave the remote, and return) to reestablish a gateway connection. But, even with the new functionality, if one person is in the living room trying to turn the lights off to go to bed, and another is in the theater trying to turn the lights on and turn the volume down, somebody is going to be annoyed that control isn't working. An iTach eliminates that (albeit at some expense, possibly significant depending on GC-100 cost).

Sometimes a combo approach is best. Start with cheap GC-100, then add an iTach to a specific device that might require multiple connections (a multizone receiver, or a lighting controller for instance).

I've had my GC-100 for years, and it works fine, but there are times I wish I had a few iTach's, too. The iTach is just a newer, friendlier, more modern device. I just wish it weren't so expensive if you need 3 or 4 of them.

Cheers,

SC

#8,569 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley  /t/1351981/irule/8550#post_23581942

Ok guys, after getting Sonos and the new Nexus 7 tablet, I want to do more with the tablet and have been looking at iRule. I just don't know what I need.

Yamaha RX-V2600 Receiver

PS3 (wired w/ cat 5e)

Cable modem, router, switch are located in the basement utility room up on a shelf.

Thanks!

Anyone, please?

#8,570 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley  /t/1351981/irule/8550#post_23583519

Anyone, please?

To my knowledge. If you go to iRule's website they should have a list of devices that have the codes already. http://www.iruleathome.com/devices/irule-compatible-devices

So I found that it does support the Yamaha and the Sony, not 100% on the PS3

You may also need to get a Global Cache Gateway i'm not sure for other things depending on what you want to do.

You can also post on iRule's support page as well for compatibility, pretty fast responses.

Reactions: Tom Bley
#8,571 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrabb  /t/1351981/irule/8550#post_23582996

Have you tried the IR device already in the Builder called "TiVo Cable Premier All Models"?

SC
It worked! Thanks. I was using Tivo Series 3 that has only IP codes

#8,572 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley  /t/1351981/irule/8550#post_23581942

Yamaha RX-V2600 Receiver

PS3 (wired w/ cat 5e)

Thanks!

You would need a global cache IP2IR if you have an ethernet connection available in the great room, or a WIFI2IR if only wifi is available. If the Sony TV and Yamaha receivers are IP controllable then you need no extra equipment to control them. The iRule builder shows IP control devices are available just not sure if your specific equipment can be controlled that way. If not they surely can be controlled by IR and the ITACH device mentioned is what is needed. For PS3 control via iRule you'll definitely need the ITACH and also an IR to Bluetooth adapter. There are several on the market, make sure to get one that supports both power on and power off. I use the RE-BL version, there are others from Logitech and Schmartz and those devices are in the iRule builder.

From there you need to purchase the iRule builder license and install the app on your tablet. You could start with the basic license, especially if you find that your receiver and tv do not support IP control as feedback would not be possible making the pro version useless.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Tom Bley
#8,573 ·
Hey iRule guys. I need to remotely control a subwoofer amp that I want to put in another room. I need to control the power on/off. I looked at some IR switches and they are either really cheap or really expensive. I figure someone using iRule has run into this suituation.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=IR-Infrared-Remote-Control-Power-Outlet-Switch-Plug-
http://www.smarthome.com/81302/Xantech-Controlled-AC-Outlet-w-IR-Control-AC2/p.aspx

Does anyone have a recommendation that would work with a QSC 3102 that is a commercial grade amplifier? It puts out 1,000 watts per channel.

Thanks

#8,574 ·
Ecrabb, thanks for the heads up.

Is there a way to update the firmware?

What is the best source for the IR emitters that work with the GC 100?

I did not know about the one client at a time restriction but as you said it does not affect me with a dedicated theater.

#8,575 ·
If you plan on doing lighting control eventually, you might want to look at the Insteon products. That's my plan for my speakers. I will be using active studio monitors that each need their own power source. I'll have them plugged into Insteon outlets and Insteon modules in my lights. Add a Smartlinc to interface between your network and your electrical system and you can control any Insteon device anywhere in your home.

#8,576 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant  /t/1351981/irule/8550#post_23586357

Is there a way to update the firmware?
Yes. Send it back to Global Caché to be updated.
Seriously.

No worries, though. You won't likely run into any major functional differences, other than how the box gets set up, and if I recall, there's a slight difference in RS-232 that you'd run into only with a couple of very specific devices. Sorry, I don't recall the specifics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant  /t/1351981/irule/8550#post_23586357

What is the best source for the IR emitters that work with the GC 100?
The GC-100 is good with about any standard mono-jack IR emitter. Just try to find the non-illuminated variety...

https://globalcache.zendesk.com/entries/20697276-IR-emitter-compatibility

Cheers,

SC

#8,577 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrabb  /t/1351981/irule/8550#post_23582962

That's unfortunate. Yes, there was just a new release. Did you just update to it?

For starters, try rebooting your iPad.

If rebooting doesn't fix the bad behavior, then try deleting iRule HD and install the main iRule app. The two should be the same, but maybe there is a difference. The iRule HD (just for iPad) app is going away at some point; the main iRule app is already universal, so in short, nobody needs the dedicated iRule HD app anymore. Anyway, make sure your gateways are backed up before you delete iRule HD. Once you install iRule, you can enter your user/pass, sync the handset, then Restore Gateways, and you should be back up and running. Post whether you're back up and running or not.

Cheers,

SC

Thanks for taking the time. Unfortunately I've had it with the iPAD and Apple's golden handcuffs. I sold it. The matter is moot.

Again, Thanks, Rich

#8,578 ·
For the Denon 4311CI AVR, what are guys in here using for the Dynamic Volue for Day, Evening, Midnight?

I havent been able to find any device codes going through multiple device libraries for this AVR. Or are you guys using a combination of multiple codes to set it up?