iRule - Page 348 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #10411 of 10427 Old 01-27-2015, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Google Fiber integration with iRule?

I live in Raleigh and it is expected to be announced in about 30 minutes that Raleigh (in addition to Charlotte, Atlanta, Knoxville) will be joining Austin, Kansas City (KS or MO? or both?) and Provo as Google Fiber cities.

Needless to say, Google has an IP app (both Android and iOS- can you imagine Steve Jobs having an Android app for an Apple product?) for cable control. Any idea about integration of the Google cable app with iRule? No rush- fiber is at least 4 months away at an absolute minimum.

- Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10412 of 10427 Old 01-27-2015, 05:31 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Do you mean they both used the same addresses in their configuration, or on the phone & tablet themselves? Because if it's the latter then you have a big problem.

Each device on a subnet MUST have it's OWN unique IP address. More than one device CANNOT use the same IP address. So if your phone & tablet were on the same address then that needs to change. It's very likely you'll have to reset your routers and switches to clear the ARP tables (the behind the scenes protocol for resolving IP to MAC addresses). Most are capable of resolving this on their own but a power cycle (AFTER you correct the device overlaps) will certainly clear it.

Best bet, again, is to set as many things as possible to use static addresses but ALSO set up DHCP leases on the router for them. That way you have a 'belt and suspenders' approach to making sure devices will always been on the same addresses. Absolutely do this for fixed devices like printers, servers, DVRs, etc... things that won't change unless hardware is replaced. For tablets and the like it's not "as necessary" but it does help avoid a lot of potential problems.
Yes both the tablet and the phone use the same IP address but only one is running iRule at a time. Two devices running iRule at a time was the first thing I checked.

Rich
post #10413 of 10427 Old 01-27-2015, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just curious why would you have two devices with the same IP addresses actually is that possible when both are connected to your network, doesn't that create all sorts of issues?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jeff
post #10414 of 10427 Old 01-28-2015, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Gibson View Post
Yes both the tablet and the phone use the same IP address but only one is running iRule at a time. Two devices running iRule at a time was the first thing I checked.
You MUST NOT have multiple devices on the same network using the same IP address. It's not allowed, by TCP/IP standards. The problem is there's a lot of 'behind the scenes' communication that occurs that translates the somewhat user-friendly dotted quad of an IP address into the downright cryptic 16 digit media access control address of the hardware itself. When something needs to send or receive packets over the network it has to know exactly which hardware addresses to use. There's no support in the protocol for more than one device to use the same IP address. Doing so can either cause immediate collisions and errors, or intermittent nonsense leading to mysterious timeout problems.

So first thing you HAVE TO DO is STOP using the same IP address for the phone and the tablet.

That this 'may have always worked' does not change the requirement. Lots of things done wrong get away with not immediately failing. With networking, however, you're asking for a LOT of trouble that way (especially when wireless is involved).

Let me be clear in what I'm saying, I'm talking about the IP addresses of the devices themselves (tablet and phone), NOT the IP address that they both use to communicate with another device being controlled.

For example, tablet and phone cannot both be on 192.168.1.123. They'd each have to use their own address. But once they're both on separate addresses they could both certainly attempt to communicate with OTHER devices (each with their own IP address). So the tablet on 192.168.1.123 and the phone on 192.168.1.231 could both be configured to control a receiver on 192.168.1.32. All numbers being just examples, of course.

Where you potentially run into complications is how the target devices handle being communicated with by multiple devices. Some equipment does not react well when more than one device tries to control it at the same time (or within a close timeframe). As in, both tablet and phone should not both try to send volume up/down commands to the receiver at the same time. The IP stack of some consumer electronics devices is not always robust enough to allow that to work reliably.

You can certainly run iRule on more than one device at a time, you just need to be sensible about how the devices being controlled will respond.
post #10415 of 10427 Old 01-28-2015, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Remember, a device connecting to the network gets it's address for ALL applications running on it. Not just the iRule client software.
post #10416 of 10427 Old 01-28-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
You MUST NOT have multiple devices on the same network using the same IP address. It's not allowed, by TCP/IP standards. The problem is there's a lot of 'behind the scenes' communication that occurs that translates the somewhat user-friendly dotted quad of an IP address into the downright cryptic 16 digit media access control address of the hardware itself. When something needs to send or receive packets over the network it has to know exactly which hardware addresses to use. There's no support in the protocol for more than one device to use the same IP address. Doing so can either cause immediate collisions and errors, or intermittent nonsense leading to mysterious timeout problems.

So first thing you HAVE TO DO is STOP using the same IP address for the phone and the tablet.

That this 'may have always worked' does not change the requirement. Lots of things done wrong get away with not immediately failing. With networking, however, you're asking for a LOT of trouble that way (especially when wireless is involved).

Let me be clear in what I'm saying, I'm talking about the IP addresses of the devices themselves (tablet and phone), NOT the IP address that they both use to communicate with another device being controlled.

For example, tablet and phone cannot both be on 192.168.1.123. They'd each have to use their own address. But once they're both on separate addresses they could both certainly attempt to communicate with OTHER devices (each with their own IP address). So the tablet on 192.168.1.123 and the phone on 192.168.1.231 could both be configured to control a receiver on 192.168.1.32. All numbers being just examples, of course.

Where you potentially run into complications is how the target devices handle being communicated with by multiple devices. Some equipment does not react well when more than one device tries to control it at the same time (or within a close timeframe). As in, both tablet and phone should not both try to send volume up/down commands to the receiver at the same time. The IP stack of some consumer electronics devices is not always robust enough to allow that to work reliably.

You can certainly run iRule on more than one device at a time, you just need to be sensible about how the devices being controlled will respond.
Quote:
Remember, a device connecting to the network gets it's address for ALL applications running on it. Not just the iRule client software.
I don't think we're communicating. By referring to the IP address I am referring to the IP address of the iTach2 which I enter in iRule on the gateway setting of the phone and tablet iRule app and NOT the addresses my phone and tablet. I've tried to I explain this several times. Nevertheless I do not have iRule running on both devices at the same time so this discussion appears academic.....unless I've totally misunderstood how iRule works. I have encountered the situation when I cannot connect to the gateway and then realize iRule is also running on another device. When I close iRule the connection works.

Which brings about a larger issue. Clearly your mastery of telecommunications surpasses mine and I respect and appreciate your taking the time to try and help me. If I were going to summarize my experiences with iRule I would describe the product as very 'fiddly.' When putting the system together I had to read, re-read and re-re-read the documentation, examine threads here and watch the tutorials many times. I also asked questions at iRule, here and another site.

While others might disagree I don't consider myself as particularly thick or dull-witted. I got everything running, had five different phones and tablets working, installed insteon lighting control over each of my home theater seats controlling them with iRule on my devices and then designed and implemented a system to control several fans over my exercise equipment with feed back indicating the speeds the fans were set to. I even got it working with my receiver and a streaming server.

I then sold some tablets and was left with the Samsung Galaxy S4 and a 12" Samsung tablet. I never got around to re-designing the large Samsung tablet screen...the process of using a freeware package to create forty or fifty new re-sized buttons and import them into iRule online into my panels is mind-numbingly tedious. In any case they worked without any further action on my part until a few weeks ago when neither the phone or the tablet could connect to the gateway. As I mentioned the IP set into the gateway on the devices matches the IP address of the iTach2 server and iHelp sees the iTach2...and I NEVER have iRule running on both devices simultaneously.

Now here's the problem; once I walk away from actively developing panels and configuring my setup the knowledge starts to go stale. Further, I have no idea where to find and reset the individual IP addresses of the S4 or the Tablet. Moreover I've never needed to know them or where to find their IP addresses let alone how to get to my router to do the things you've suggested. All I wanted to do was control my AV devices from a single screen on my phone or table. At first it was a challenge and fun and immensely rewarding to see everything work; then it became drudgery. Now I'm not sure it's worth the time to re-re-learn all the items necessary to go back and fix it.

I really appreciate the time you all have taken to help, but with three Macs to maintain, my digital photography, genealogical research, daily cycling and maintaining a house there is no spare time to backtrack and get iRule up to snuff. Thanks again for your time.

Rich

Last edited by Rich Gibson; 01-30-2015 at 01:41 PM.
post #10417 of 10427 Old 01-28-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:
I don't think we're communicating. By referring to the IP address I am referring to the IP address of the iTach2 which I enter in iRule on the gateway setting of the phone and tablet iRule app and NOT the addresses my phone and tablet. I've tried to I explain this several times. Nevertheless I do not have iRule running on both devices at the same time so this discussion appears academic.....unless I've totally misunderstood how iRule works and how android devices' IP address are set. I have encountered the situation when I cannot connect to the gateway and then realize iRule is also running on another device. When I close iRule on the 2nd the 1st one's connection works.

Which brings about a larger issue. Clearly your mastery of telecommunications surpasses mine and I respect and appreciate your taking the time to try and help me. The technical requirements you've described may be second nature to you but this along with mastering the ins and out of iRule can be mind-boggling. If I were going to summarize my experiences with iRule I would describe the product as extremely 'fiddly.' When putting the system together I had to read, re-read and re-re-read the documentation, post questions in threads here and watch the tutorials many times. I also asked questions at iRule, and another site.

While others might disagree I don't consider myself as particularly thick or dull-witted. I got everything running, had five different phones and tablets working, installed insteon lighting control over each of my home theater seats controlling them with iRule on my devices and then designed and implemented a system to control several fans over my exercise equipment with feed back indicating the speeds the fans were set to. I even got iRule working with my receiver and a streaming server.

I then sold some tablets and was left with the Samsung Galaxy S4 and a 12" Samsung tablet. I never got around to re-designing the large Samsung tablet screen...the process of using a freeware package to create forty or fifty new re-sized buttons and import them into iRule online into my panels is mind-numbingly tedious. In any case they worked without any further action on my part until a few weeks ago when neither the phone or the tablet could connect to the gateway. As I mentioned the IP set into the gateway space on the devices' iRule settings matches the IP address of the iTach2 server and iHelp sees the iTach2...and I NEVER have iRule running on both devices simultaneously.

Now here's the problem; once I walk away from actively developing panels and configuring my setup the knowledge starts to go stale. Further, I have no idea where to find and reset the individual IP addresses of the S4 or the Tablet. Moreover I've never needed to know them or where to find their IP addresses let alone how to get to my router to do the things you've suggested. All I want to do is control my AV devices from a single screen on my phone or tablet. At first it was a challenge and fun and immensely rewarding to see everything work; then it became drudgery. Now I'm not sure it's worth the time to re-re-learn all the items necessary to go back just to fix it.

I really appreciate the time you all have taken to help, but with three Macs to maintain, my digital photography, genealogical research, daily cycling and maintaining a house there is no spare time to backtrack and get iRule up to snuff. Thanks again and I apologize for taking for your time.

Rich

Last edited by Rich Gibson; 01-28-2015 at 12:31 PM.
post #10418 of 10427 Old 01-28-2015, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, configuring custom screens like iRule can definitely be tedious. I've often debated just paying someone else to wade through it. Trouble is it's hard to determine if that "someone else" is really going to be capable of configuring all of it to my liking. Or at least competently. I've run more than one situation in the past where someone doing such work took entirely brain-dead approaches to solving problems. Often ending up with a mish-mash of really badly configured settings.

Right, so it appears that your client devices (the ones running iRule) are NOT using the same IP address. I figured as much but your subsequent message seemed to say the opposite. Good. Now it's a matter of the different iRule clients making a blocking connection to the SAME gateway. Yes?
post #10419 of 10427 Old 01-28-2015, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Can a drawer be used for gesture commands that do not work unless the drawer is open?

I have a heads up DVR panel that links from my directv main panel. I use this when using DVR playback. Swipe right is FFx3, left RRx3, tap plays, swipe down does a 2min skip, etc. I thought it would be nice to access this functionality directly from the main panel with a drawer that opens around 75%.

I created one but didn't get it to work as I had hoped. No commands were sent. I'd this not supported or did I set it up incorrectly?

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
post #10420 of 10427 Old 01-28-2015, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomSeen31 View Post
Can a drawer be used for gesture commands that do not work unless the drawer is open?

I have a heads up DVR panel that links from my directv main panel. I use this when using DVR playback. Swipe right is FFx3, left RRx3, tap plays, swipe down does a 2min skip, etc. I thought it would be nice to access this functionality directly from the main panel with a drawer that opens around 75%.

I created one but didn't get it to work as I had hoped. No commands were sent. I'd this not supported or did I set it up incorrectly?

I can't answer your question, but you could have a second panel devoted to gestures. For me it is easier to swipe to and from a second panel than it is to open and close a drawer.

Steve Goff
post #10421 of 10427 Old 01-28-2015, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Goff View Post
I can't answer your question, but you could have a second panel devoted to gestures. For me it is easier to swipe to and from a second panel than it is to open and close a drawer.
Yes, that is the way I have it now and it works fine.

I just did a panel remodel and added drawers for sources and volume. I thought a drawer for heads up control would be a nice addition.

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
post #10422 of 10427 Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 201
SAMSUNG BLU RAY DISCRETE IR CODES?? Are they available? Where?

Thanks!

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #10423 of 10427 Old Yesterday, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
SAMSUNG BLU RAY DISCRETE IR CODES?? Are they available? Where?

Thanks!
Discrete codes for what? Power? If so, then answer is NO, power toggle only. Faux discrete power on is Play then Stop. Power Off is Play, Stop, Power Toggle.
post #10424 of 10427 Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osupike99 View Post
Discrete codes for what? Power? If so, then answer is NO, power toggle only. Faux discrete power on is Play then Stop. Power Off is Play, Stop, Power Toggle.
That's what I need
Thanks!

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #10425 of 10427 Old Today, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Panels question

How do I 'hide' unused panels from iRule builder from showing up on my device?

Some devices show all panels from iRule Builder while on the 'panels' page while other devices show only a few.

How do I remove unused panels so they don't show on the device when in the 'Panels' screen (but keep them in iRule builder)?

Thanks!

post #10426 of 10427 Old Today, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Select your panel I.e. Music and on the bottom left look for hidden option

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Jeff

Last edited by Gator99; Today at 08:23 AM.
post #10427 of 10427 Unread Today, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Is there a way to control an Amazon Fire Stick yet? I thought maybe there was a chance since the iOS Fire TV app works well on my iPad, thus it must be able to take an IP control???
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Sharp Aquos , Lcd Hdtv , Receivers Amplifiers , Philips Pronto Tsu7000 The Intelligent Remote Control For Home Theater
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page