post #10441 of 10461 Old 02-27-2015, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Rosser Byorick View Post
Can anyone point me to an earlier post or provided some advise regarding using iRule with a Grafik Eye QSGRJ-6P and QSE-CI-NWK-E. I have been using iRule successfully for several months on regular devices (via GC-100). I just bought my Grafik Eye and the Ethernet adapter. Using the Lutron IPConfig tool, it is recognizing that the Grafik Eye is connected on my network. In iRule though, when I go to try to configure the device it only seems to allow me to assign it to the GC-100 which it isn't directly connected to. How do I get thing working?

Ryan - I just installed this same setup for a friend, but we didn't use iRule for the control, after looking at the iRule builder, there seems to be NO IP commands available so that is your first and real problem. Have you submitted this question over at the iRule forums?

I am not saying I know how to do this, but in the past I needed a IP code that wasn't in their database and I used Wireshark to "sniff" the packets sent and after alot of work found what I needed although the admins at iRule were very helpful.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10442 of 10461 Old 02-27-2015, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
GARAGE DOOR OPENERS: Contact Closure? Do garage doors open and close using contact closure when using the wall mounted, wired switch in the garage? I have Genie doors and would like to control them.

Would iRule using the ITACH IP2CC, specifically designed for contact closure switching?

ALSO, can the i-Tach be set up to give me feedback to know if the doors are open or closed?

Thanks!
I use a gc-100-12 with contact closure to control my garage doors. I ran a cat5 cable from my equipment rack and used 4 of the wires to wire in to my 2 garage door buttons on the wall. Works great. The global cache relay device in the builder is what I am using. I've found that sending the ON command followed by a .8 second delay and then the OFF command and then another .8 delay and the OFF command again ensures that all works well. A few times before adding that second OFF command the contact closure stuck ON, which was like holding the garage door button down, this prevented my garage door from functioning with my regular RF remote in my car. Haven't had a problem since adding it.

Feedback isn't possible. There is a query command, but I believe it will only tell you if the contact closure is ON or OFF which doesn't really tell you if your garage door is open or closed.

I use Tasker on my Android phone to launch iRule when within range of my home WiFi. When I'm walking back home from the park with my kids I just pull out my phone and there is my iRule garage door home panel, press the number 1 button and up goes the door. It's great only having to take my phone with me going places, no more keys or spare garage door opener.

I have no experience with it, but I do use other insteon devices with iRule, they have a garage door kit that would provide feedback if I it works as their other devices do. If you have other lighting and automation needs that might be something to look in to. You could also add a cheap IP camera which is something I've thought of doing and get visual confirmation that the door is open or closed.

Good luck with your project.

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
post #10443 of 10461 Old 02-27-2015, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomSeen31 View Post
I have no experience with it, but I do use other insteon devices with iRule, they have a garage door kit that would provide feedback if I it works as their other devices do. If you have other lighting and automation needs that might be something to look in to. You could also add a cheap IP camera which is something I've thought of doing and get visual confirmation that the door is open or closed.

Good luck with your project.
In your installation did you wire the GC in series to the wall buttons ?
post #10444 of 10461 Old 02-27-2015, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplejs15 View Post
In your installation did you wire the GC in series to the wall buttons ?
I am far from an electrician so instead of saying yes or no here I will tell you exactly how I wired it. If I had to guess, I would say conceptually that it is wired in parallel. From GC-100 I have the orange and orange striped wires from the cat5 wire run to garage door button 1. I pulled it off the wall and added the orange and orange striped wires to the wires that were already there running from the garage door motor to the wall button. I used the green and green striped wires to do the same on my second garage door button. At the gc-100, I used the included wire terminals to connect the orange set to relay 1 and the green set to relay 2. I have 2 buttons on my "Garage" panel and each triggers the desired relay, the button on the wall of the garage blinks just as if I pressed it by hand.

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
post #10445 of 10461 Old 02-27-2015, 09:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Feedback?

Thanks!
Hmm, I guess I would install my own limit switch at the top of travel on one side rail. I did something like that for a laser parking system in mine (high-tech hanging tennis ball replacement). I don't know if you can get up/down status from the motor or not. Would have to see the drawings.
post #10446 of 10461 Old 02-27-2015, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator99 View Post
Ryan - I just installed this same setup for a friend, but we didn't use iRule for the control, after looking at the iRule builder, there seems to be NO IP commands available so that is your first and real problem. Have you submitted this question over at the iRule forums?

I am not saying I know how to do this, but in the past I needed a IP code that wasn't in their database and I used Wireshark to "sniff" the packets sent and after alot of work found what I needed although the admins at iRule were very helpful.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Gator99 - what software were you using to control the Grafik Eye? Good idea on the Wireshark, I've used that at work - just not sure if I have the time to go that crazy with it. Seems like controlling via IR might be my least time intensive.
post #10447 of 10461 Old 02-27-2015, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Ryan I used IR with a harmony ultimate remote works great

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jeff
post #10448 of 10461 Old 02-27-2015, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
GARAGE DOOR OPENERS: Contact Closure? Do garage doors open and close using contact closure when using the wall mounted, wired switch in the garage? I have Genie doors and would like to control them.

Would iRule using the ITACH IP2CC, specifically designed for contact closure switching?

ALSO, can the i-Tach be set up to give me feedback to know if the doors are open or closed?

Thanks!
Most garage door openers use a simple contact closure, a door bell button. If yours has two wires going to the button, that's probably the case. If you have some fancy keypad, it may be more sophisticated.

For a two wire button system, just wire the Itach relay in parallel with the manual button. It doesn't matter which wire is which. The Itach is a dry relay.

The Itach shown will work with a contact closure based system. As for feedback, the GC100 has a way of getting feedback through an IR port. I don't know if this Itach can accept a contact closure input?

NOTE: Feedback or door position is possible and cheap to implement!

If you can't directly interface to the opener, you can always mount a magnetic alarm switch on the garage door and jamb and just wire that sensor to an Itach input.

I would call the Itach people and ask how they do contact closure input (sensing) on the newer models. They do have good tech support.

FWEIW, I do my contact closure sensing through a DIY box that sits on the house network. IOW, my own version of the Itach.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

Last edited by Glimmie; 02-27-2015 at 12:28 PM.
post #10449 of 10461 Old 02-27-2015, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it just me that irule iphone app now showing banner ads at the bottom after today's update?

I am very upset that a paid app doing that.
post #10450 of 10461 Old 02-28-2015, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc8888 View Post
Is it just me that irule iphone app now showing banner ads at the bottom after today's update?

Checked their forums, try logging out and back in that seems to fix for some but not all.

Jeff
post #10451 of 10461 Old 02-28-2015, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

Yes!!! Me too, just started today. I thought maybe I had some kind of pop up virus on my Samsung Tab.
post #10452 of 10461 Old 03-02-2015, 05:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Yes, me too. Logging out, then back in, seemed to have worked.
post #10453 of 10461 Old 03-02-2015, 09:00 AM
d_c
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 205
I was unable to sync with the new update along with a lot of other people from what I read over a the iRule help desk - most of whom are pissed! Won't sync even with the less secure settings enabled in Google, updated version on phone in app, and restarts. The only way to get it to work is to log in to GooglePlus and share your "circle of friends" and email addresses with Google. Lame.
post #10454 of 10461 Old 03-02-2015, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post
Most garage door openers use a simple contact closure, a door bell button. If yours has two wires going to the button, that's probably the case. If you have some fancy keypad, it may be more sophisticated.

For a two wire button system, just wire the Itach relay in parallel with the manual button. It doesn't matter which wire is which. The Itach is a dry relay.

The Itach shown will work with a contact closure based system. As for feedback, the GC100 has a way of getting feedback through an IR port. I don't know if this Itach can accept a contact closure input?

NOTE: Feedback or door position is possible and cheap to implement!

If you can't directly interface to the opener, you can always mount a magnetic alarm switch on the garage door and jamb and just wire that sensor to an Itach input.

I would call the Itach people and ask how they do contact closure input (sensing) on the newer models. They do have good tech support.

FWEIW, I do my contact closure sensing through a DIY box that sits on the house network. IOW, my own version of the Itach.
OK. Good to know. Nothing fancy. 2 wires. In thinking about this, my security system can send texts if the doors are open or closed - so there's my feedback. Should be easy. Thanks!

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #10455 of 10461 Old 03-02-2015, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Feedback?

Thanks!
You need IR iTach with Sensor to get the feedback. What I do is have a foscam PTZ camera in the garage that shows me 2-way feedback .
post #10456 of 10461 Old 03-03-2015, 07:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by osupike99 View Post
You need IR iTach with Sensor to get the feedback. What I do is have a foscam PTZ camera in the garage that shows me 2-way feedback .
Good point. Actually,I have cameras going in next week and I can see the doors!

Thanks!

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #10457 of 10461 Old 03-03-2015, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Good point. Actually,I have cameras going in next week and I can see the doors!

Thanks!
Works real well. I have the camera module and right below it is the Open/Close button.

Alex
post #10458 of 10461 Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
To launch the iOS apps Pandora and Spotify directly out of iRule I use these url scheme commands:
Pandora://http://
Spotify://http://

I was wondering if there were any commands for launching:
a) Amazon Music
b) Oppo's MediaControl

____
Axel

post #10459 of 10461 Unread Today, 10:00 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
To launch the iOS apps Pandora and Spotify directly out of iRule I use these url scheme commands:
Pandora://http://
Spotify://http://

I was wondering if there were any commands for launching:
a) Amazon Music
b) Oppo's MediaControl

____
Axel
Pardon me, for I am an idiot, but what do you mean by launch IOS apps directly out of iRule? Do you not have to leave iRule? Pics or video(video would be especially helpful) to help a moron?
post #10460 of 10461 Unread Today, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexar View Post
Pardon me, for I am an idiot, but what do you mean by launch IOS apps directly out of iRule? Do you not have to leave iRule? Pics or video(video would be especially helpful) to help a moron?
Bexar that is exactly what that does, it launches the apps on phone from within irule, but it does leave irule for the app you choose

Jeff
post #10461 of 10461 Unread Today, 10:18 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator99 View Post
Bexar that is exactly what that does, it launches the apps on phone from within irule, but it does leave irule for the app you choose

Ok, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Sharp Aquos , Lcd Hdtv , Receivers Amplifiers , Philips Pronto Tsu7000 The Intelligent Remote Control For Home Theater
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page