iRule - Page 351 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #10501 of 10507 Old 03-26-2015, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post
BTW: are you using a GC-100-XXX series adapter?
I don't use iRule or any GC hardware. I'm only here out of curiosity and to post codes occasionally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10502 of 10507 Old 04-04-2015, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Anyone have any idea how this guy made his embedded sites show up ontop of the panel without a drawer. Like in the Nest page.
Thanks!
post #10503 of 10507 Old 04-04-2015, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Can't say for sure but a URL widget?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jeff
post #10504 of 10507 Old Today, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Rant upcoming.

So the time has come where my Harmony remote appears to be dying and instead of putting together the code together for my own remote control app, since I don't currently have a lot of free time on my hands, I figured the signs were pointing to me shelling out the $50 or $100 for the iRule app (And possibly the extra $100 for one of the IR or RS232 network interfaces), which I assumed would be totally user-intuitive, easy-to-use, and otherwise totally worth $50 or $100. However, after trying out the iRule builder and app set up on my phone, I'm really damn curious what this $50 would be getting me.

I set up a handset and an activity. I set up my 3 associated devices on the app with their IP addresses in their respective gateways, yet when I go to that activity, nothing happens. It seems like there is a pretty damn steep learning curve to even setting up an activity much less customizing the whole thing. The builder and the app itself are not very intuitive and it seems like this would take an awful lot of trouble-shooting to get quite right. I mean, I added those devices and I don't even have a "device" button that pops up and shows me all the commands for that device. "TV-ON/OFF"... that right there would've let me know if it was actually controlling my TV or not! Instead I just had the one "watch movie" activity.

Anyhoo, I'm posting on here because I want to know if this is general consensus of most people that have tried iRule or am I just missing something obvious about what would make this a worthwhile purchase? I mean, it doesn't seem to me that this is a terribly difficult app/software idea here. I've got app remotes for 1) Plex hometheater, 2) my yamaha receiver, and 3) my samsung TV. Each app finds each respective device on the network and, BAM!, I go right into controlling it. Why am I having such a hard time finding an app that can find my A/V devices and do basic controls and macros AND be easy to set up? Seriously, am I completely missing something here? (Oh, and every other remote app I looked at on that sticky thread was not compatible with my device)

At any rate, I might continue tinkering with this but I just ordered a Harmony hub with remote for $100. I'll give that one a go. I can only assume it's about as easy to set-up as my older Harmony remote was.
post #10505 of 10507 Old Today, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The learning curve is steep. No beating around the bush with that one. If you aren't willing to put several hours into just learning what iRule can do and more importantly how to do it then I would look elsewhere, however iRule is almost limitless on what you can achieve.

I have the harmony and use it in my living room and it will not take you more than 30 minutes to set up.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jeff
post #10506 of 10507 Unread Today, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 44
IRule is pretty awful if you're looking for anything remotely intuitive. It takes a ton of time to setup. Nothing fancy in my setup, but I've now got pretty good control on my receiver via IP, projector via IP, BR player via IP, cable box, HTPC via IP, Aton DLA6

Would love to get mouse controls but I'll fight that battle another day.

I wish IRule would get their act together and focus on the builder
post #10507 of 10507 Unread Today, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Exclamation

Ohhhhhh goodie. This issue appears again after the latest iOS firmware update. Any change it can be fixed in less than 3-4 months like the last time? If it's going to be longer than 2 months, I'll just load he old firmware on my iPad.

Or does anyone know of a quick fix besides the installing the old firmware?

First reported here. And then asked for a follow-up here.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Sharp Aquos , Lcd Hdtv , Receivers Amplifiers , Philips Pronto Tsu7000 The Intelligent Remote Control For Home Theater
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page