iRule - Page 352 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #10531 of 10559 Old 04-29-2015, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Im new to iRule, read all the posts from Jan 1 2014 to date. Picked up advanced license and WIfi to IR Global cache box.

Starting to get the hang of it building my first remote on a Galaxy 10" tab 2.

Question- Coming from URC-980 remote programming when you assign devices, like in my case, Marantz SR receiver. I see the Marantz database IR codes, but is a iRule device page actually created for the Marantz receiver some where with all buttons? with URC you can jump to the device remote button page or do I have to create my own receiver page of buttons from scratch, button by button?

overall I'm impressed with its potential as many other have mentioned..

thanks Vince
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10532 of 10559 Old 04-29-2015, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 17
IR codes or IP codes or RS232 codes are most likely in the builder for most devices, as far as images there are many in the builder as well, though you can create your own but I wouldn't suggest doing that till you get your system setup and working. Once you have both in the builder you put an image on you handsets panel and then drag and drop commands or series of commands onto your buttons

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jeff
post #10533 of 10559 Old 04-29-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator99 View Post
IR codes or IP codes or RS232 codes are most likely in the builder for most devices, as far as images there are many in the builder as well, though you can create your own but I wouldn't suggest doing that till you get your system setup and working. Once you have both in the builder you put an image on you handsets panel and then drag and drop commands or series of commands onto your buttons

Hey Gator my kid graduated from UF in 2010!

But don't I need to build a macro on my main page , that turns on TV, turn on receiver, set input to HDMI 1, then create a link to jump to CATV remote page 2?

or

do I grab a generic CATV remote sheet in the library and drag commands to it?

after all this, I sync it to my tablet to make sure I can really communicate with my devices?

this right?

thanks V
post #10534 of 10559 Old 04-29-2015, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Class of 95 and 99... Go Gators!!!!

If I remember correctly when you first start with irule it will try to build a simple system, but I found it easier to delete all that it created and start from clean slate and either build everything one button at a time or with a generic remote sheet as you referenced. After you have built your buttons with commands or macros yes you would setup your gateways to control your devices.

I don't use IR only IP for all my devices so if you have an itach I can't help too much but the tutorials should help.

Jeff
post #10535 of 10559 Old 04-29-2015, 05:48 PM

That clears things up!

thanks
post #10536 of 10559 Old 04-29-2015, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince32837 View Post
Im new to iRule, read all the posts from Jan 1 2014 to date. Picked up advanced license and WIfi to IR Global cache box.

Starting to get the hang of it building my first remote on a Galaxy 10" tab 2.

Question- Coming from URC-980 remote programming when you assign devices, like in my case, Marantz SR receiver. I see the Marantz database IR codes, but is a iRule device page actually created for the Marantz receiver some where with all buttons? with URC you can jump to the device remote button page or do I have to create my own receiver page of buttons from scratch, button by button?

overall I'm impressed with its potential as many other have mentioned..

thanks Vince

No, full device control page is not created. iRule, by design, as flexible as it is, is an Activity based remote. So only pertinent commands/buttons are created for you. However, you can modify your setup however YOU want it to be. You just have to create the images and assign commands to those images. In my setup, I have a Help button on each of my pages that takes me to the controls page where there are very basic commands to just get into the menus without busting out the OEM remote of each of the devices. So like for TV, I have MENU, RETURN, CURSOR buttons and ENTER. Same for the AVR.
post #10537 of 10559 Old 04-30-2015, 07:12 AM

OSUpike99-

thanks...

had a question for ya- I have been struggling with functional links. I created a blank PAGE called "PAGE2" then I went to add a functional "LINK". When I go into the properties of that LINK, I want to select "PAGE2" because I want to jump to that page...its not one of the choices nor can you edit the text to type it??

I must be doing something wrong???

could you provide the syntax that includes jumping from MAIN page to PAGE2 with a link???

thanks Vince
post #10538 of 10559 Old 04-30-2015, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
OSUpike99-

thanks...

had a question for ya- I have been struggling with functional links. I created a blank PAGE called "PAGE2" then I went to add a functional "LINK". When I go into the properties of that LINK, I want to select "PAGE2" because I want to jump to that page...its not one of the choices nor can you edit the text to type it??

could you provide the syntax that includes jumping from MAIN page to PAGE2 with a link???

thanks Vince
Hey Vince,

Are you talking about Links as Actions or just regular links? Take a look at the tutorials below (you should be able to click on thumbnails to enlarge).

Old school links: https://irule.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/469249
Links As Actions: https://irule.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1747233

Alex
post #10539 of 10559 Old 04-30-2015, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuldood View Post
Steve,

I love the steampunk page! Have you done any more pages in this theme? I would really like to get my hands on them if possible.

Thanks!

If you are asking me about Steampunk backgrounds, I've done several for the iPhone and iPad. You should be able to find them using the search function. I'm not near a computer now so can't provide more precise directions.

Steve Goff
post #10540 of 10559 Old 04-30-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osupike99 View Post
Hey Vince,

Are you talking about Links as Actions or just regular links? Take a look at the tutorials below (you should be able to click on thumbnails to enlarge).

Old school links: https://irule.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/469249
Links As Actions: https://irule.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1747233

Alex
Alex, that first link you posted thats it...I will try again....
Thanks
post #10541 of 10559 Old 04-30-2015, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
OSUpike99-

thanks...

thanks Vince
Two lines above, you have to select the Panel name first, then you can select the page you want to jump too. Also if you are using both landscape and portrait pages on the same panel, you have to set that before you can set the page.
post #10542 of 10559 Old 05-03-2015, 01:52 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just recently I have been experiencing intermittent problem with my activity link buttons on my ipad.

I have simple macros that change the inputs on the tv and receiver and jump to the right page for the device in irule. When pressed it will change page, but no command will be sent (ie no flashing green icon in bottom left).

It seems to work maybe once eg first time change from foxtel to recorded tv, but won't work when going back to foxtel.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions.

Thanks
Michael
post #10543 of 10559 Old 05-03-2015, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelp2005 View Post
Just recently I have been experiencing intermittent problem with my activity link buttons on my ipad.

I have simple macros that change the inputs on the tv and receiver and jump to the right page for the device in irule. When pressed it will change page, but no command will be sent (ie no flashing green icon in bottom left).

It seems to work maybe once eg first time change from foxtel to recorded tv, but won't work when going back to foxtel.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions.

Thanks
Michael
Have you tried power cycling the iPad. Had similar issues about a year back and that fixed it for me.
post #10544 of 10559 Old 05-06-2015, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg732 View Post
Have you tried power cycling the iPad. Had similar issues about a year back and that fixed it for me.
I've tried that, but no luck, still failing. I might try recreating the links from scratch......pita!
post #10545 of 10559 Old 05-10-2015, 12:20 PM

Newbie struggling with WIfi to IR global cache unit..

I have built up the remote in builder and synced to a Samsung 10.1 tablet..ready to test.

followed the Global cache tutorial/video-
  1. change from adhoc to infrastructure
  2. SSID matches my network name
  3. gateway matches gateway on router
  4. password match (WPA2)

reboot the itach device cannot see it
reset the device wit paper clip, tried again same result

I'm missing something? do I need to assign MAC ID of the IR device in the router like an IP camera or is it auto-detected?

any help appreciated

thanks Vince
post #10546 of 10559 Old 05-10-2015, 12:21 PM

I have built up the remote in builder and synced to a Samsung 10.1 tablet..ready to test.

4. password match (WPA2)

I'm missing something? do I need to assign MAC ID of the IR device in the router like an IP camera or is it auto-detected?

any help appreciated

thanks Vince
post #10547 of 10559 Old 05-10-2015, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

4. password match (WPA2)

any help appreciated

thanks Vince
I found that SSID is case sensitive when setting up WiFi iTach. Also.... What kind of wifi network is it connecting to? it has limitations as to which band it can connect to.
post #10548 of 10559 Old 05-11-2015, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am having an image Sync issue with iRule on Android. Need to see if anyone can help...

I have an iPad Retna and Samsung Tab Pro 8.4 (Android 4.4.1 with Root & TWRP Custom Recovery) and it has been a while since I have synced both devices and updated my iRule codes. With the latest version on my Android tablet, I couldn't get iRule to sync any images or buttons. They are "there" since i can actually push them for an activity, but invisible since the image wasn't really downloaded to the device. So i started to try and "fix" the issue.
I did the following with no fix: 1) Reboot the device, 2) Remove & Reinstall iRule, 3) Logout of iRule 4) Resynced multiple times
Nothing seems to work... So i decided to check the iPad, and I couldn't get it to sync either. I ended up changing to 2 factor identification (with low security app approval) and this seemed to fix "no compatible devices" error i was seeing with the iPad. So now the iPad is syncing with no issue.

However, the Android device will still not download the images....

Any suggestions? The one change that i had made to the Android device was to get Root & TWRP Custom Recovery since the last time I bothered to Sync the device.

Help....
-DrPyro

I think IÂm addicted to placebos!!!
post #10549 of 10559 Old 05-17-2015, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

DrPryo, have you tried to clear the cache on the iRule app?

Jeff
post #10550 of 10559 Old 05-17-2015, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

So, after running all my iRule setup for the past year with just IP control, I thought I would add an itach ip2ir to my setup to turn on my xbox's and tv's.  

with that said, just received my new iTachIP2IR and connected it to my network, used the iHelp and it found it on 192.168.1.70, however my home network is 192.168.10.2xx, I have plenty of open ip addresses available, and I do use DHCP reservations.

When I click on configure inside of iHelp, it opens my browsers (tried chrome/IE/firefox) but will not connect.

I have tried it connected to my network on a gigabit switch, to the router and even tried direct connection to my laptop but nothing.

Also turned off firewall, I am on 8.1 (so using micosoft security essentials)

With that said, what am I missing to get the iTach on my network and configured for iRule?

FIXED:
So, with the help of another iRule user - I was able to get connected, I had to change my network, to the same 192.168.1.xxx and then setup the itach to DHCP and then set my network back and all is well

Jeff

Last edited by Gator99; 05-17-2015 at 04:47 PM. Reason: fixed
post #10551 of 10559 Old 05-18-2015, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have been a happy iRule user for the last 3 years. Been using it on the iPad 2. However in the recent times, my 3 year toddler plays on that ipad too, hence wanting to get a dedicated ipad just for the irule.
I have been debating if i should stick wtih the same size or the ipad mini? Has anyone moved from the regular ipad size to the ipad mini, and finds it cumbersome due to the smaller frame as things get more sqeezed in or is the ipad mini feels better in hand?
post #10552 of 10559 Old 05-18-2015, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian View Post
I have been a happy iRule user for the last 3 years. Been using it on the iPad 2. However in the recent times, my 3 year toddler plays on that ipad too, hence wanting to get a dedicated ipad just for the irule.
I have been debating if i should stick wtih the same size or the ipad mini? Has anyone moved from the regular ipad size to the ipad mini, and finds it cumbersome due to the smaller frame as things get more sqeezed in or is the ipad mini feels better in hand?
I found that iPad mini needs a Portrait orientation GUI as iPhones are now almost as big as the iPad Mini. So when I use iPad Mini in Portrait, it doesn't feel cumbersome.

Alex
post #10553 of 10559 Old 05-18-2015, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osupike99 View Post
I found that iPad mini needs a Portrait orientation GUI as iPhones are now almost as big as the iPad Mini. So when I use iPad Mini in Portrait, it doesn't feel cumbersome.

Alex
Alex Thanks.
That would be a problem then if i use the ipad mini, cos my current irule is setup in landscape mode in the 2nd gen ipad. Someday i might add portrait orientation. so the regular ipad retina is the way to go?
Have one more question, it be great if you can reply to this.
It took me a while to work on my setup on the irule builder, i had done this for the iPad 2nd generation (non retina, they didnt have it then).
I was wondering which current ipad will work require the least amount of work if i plan to use the same artwork on the new retina ipad, I was reading an earlier thread where you mentioned that using the the icons and graphics on the retina display from the non retina version should be ok, only the text needs needed to be worked on. I think i should be ok wiht that, does this still hold true?

Last edited by holyindian; 05-18-2015 at 08:59 PM.
post #10554 of 10559 Old 05-19-2015, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Alex Thanks.
That would be a problem then if i use the ipad mini, cos my current irule is setup in landscape mode in the 2nd gen ipad. Someday i might add portrait orientation. so the regular ipad retina is the way to go?
Have one more question, it be great if you can reply to this.
It took me a while to work on my setup on the irule builder, i had done this for the iPad 2nd generation (non retina, they didnt have it then).
I was wondering which current ipad will work require the least amount of work if i plan to use the same artwork on the new retina ipad, I was reading an earlier thread where you mentioned that using the the icons and graphics on the retina display from the non retina version should be ok, only the text needs needed to be worked on. I think i should be ok wiht that, does this still hold true?
I've been using an iPad mini for the past two years in landscape mode and love it. I rarely use the full size any more. I have no portrait UI.
post #10555 of 10559 Old 05-19-2015, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner View Post
I've been using an iPad mini for the past two years in landscape mode and love it. I rarely use the full size any more. I have no portrait UI.
Cool. That sounds encouraging. I remember we designed our irule around the same time, and i had picked up a lot of tips from you.
Now at this juncture, i am again planning to re-do it on a new retina ipad. Just not sure if the mini is just too small like an iphone 6 to use? I have tons of buttons on my irule, i am wondering if you can actually get away with using all the buttons on ur mini as well.
post #10556 of 10559 Old 05-19-2015, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Cool. That sounds encouraging. I remember we designed our irule around the same time, and i had picked up a lot of tips from you.
Now at this juncture, i am again planning to re-do it on a new retina ipad. Just not sure if the mini is just too small like an iphone 6 to use? I have tons of buttons on my irule, i am wondering if you can actually get away with using all the buttons on ur mini as well.
That's an interesting question as my mini is not retina. I had to change nothing in my UI to sync my mini with iRule. It's an exact copy (albeit, smaller) version of my original design. I don't find it cumbersome in the least.
post #10557 of 10559 Unread Today, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I agree. Went from an iPad 1 to an iPad mini a few years back and although I did make a few sizing changes on some of the busier menus (going to a secondary page for the lesser used functions), I'm quite happy with the size for form & function. Found this stand on The Jungle which works great for my from row seating.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030680.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	735954   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000896.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	735962  

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> The Richter Family 3D Theater  
post #10558 of 10559 Unread Today, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I find the mini too small to do "real work", but, that obviously depends on what you do on it, and I do a *lot*! My screens I have would be too big for a mini. Sure, they could be redesigned, but at the cost of efficiency which is the whole point of iRule.

Your mileage may vary of course. Just does not work for me. I see several love it, so, I guess it's going to depend on what you intend to do. I do many other things such as coding and system admin as well on it, so, larger is better for that. Just wanted to provide a different view.
post #10559 of 10559 Unread Today, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post
I agree. Went from an iPad 1 to an iPad mini a few years back and although I did make a few sizing changes on some of the busier menus (going to a secondary page for the lesser used functions), I'm quite happy with the size for form & function. Found this stand on The Jungle which works great for my from row seating.
Whats "The Jungle"? Can I get a link to more details about that stand?

Thanks,

Neil
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Sharp Aquos , Lcd Hdtv , Receivers Amplifiers , Philips Pronto Tsu7000 The Intelligent Remote Control For Home Theater
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page