iRule - Page 355 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #10621 of 10645 Old 06-28-2015, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
Looking through my notes when I was setting up my iRule and Lumagen via RS-232 with these DB9F/RJ-45 adapters, I found this:

pin regular null
2 TX RX
3 RX TX
5 ground ground

Hope this helps!

_____
Axel
Yeah, that part I think I had figured out. But I don't know what colors are which numbered pin. And with a null cable, are both ends the "null configuration" or is it one of each?

The Hodor Theater - In Progress
Projector - Panasonic PT-AE8000U
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT
Surround/Back Speakers - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M
Subwoofers - Dual Passive JTR Captivator Pros
Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR608
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10622 of 10645 Old 06-28-2015, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Anyone having problems syncing with a jailbroken iPad? I have both my iPad 1 and iPad 3 jailbroken and it keeps failing to update the handsets. It keeps telling me that it cannot authenticate my user name & password. On my iPad Air (not jailbroken) it syncs just fine. On all devices it shows me that I am logged in.
post #10623 of 10645 Old 06-28-2015, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
Anyone having problems syncing with a jailbroken iPad? I have both my iPad 1 and iPad 3 jailbroken and it keeps failing to update the handsets. It keeps telling me that it cannot authenticate my user name & password. On my iPad Air (not jailbroken) it syncs just fine. On all devices it shows me that I am logged in.
Are you using using Google+ authentication?
post #10624 of 10645 Old 06-28-2015, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osupike99 View Post
Nope, legacy login.
post #10625 of 10645 Old 06-28-2015, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osupike99 View Post
Weird... I logged in with Google+ and that fixed it.
post #10626 of 10645 Old Yesterday, 05:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Feedback for Sony VPL-HW55ES Projector

I haven't had any luck getting feedback to work for my VPL-HW55ES. I am using the Sony HW55ES - Feedback-Tokenized_0614 set of commands with an RS-232 connection. I've tried many of the feedbacks and none seem to be working for me. For example, I put the "MOTION ENHANCE" textual feedback on my remote. I set up an entrance to "Query Motion Enhance" that repeats every 15 seconds. Yet, the feedback always says "OFF" regardless of whatever I change it too. Am I missing something? I am having the same problem with the other feedbacks for the projector as well.

Alternatively, is there a way to set your projector to display on screen the feedback like it does for the IR remote that came with the projector? So, that when I change the motion enhance setting, it displays it on screen?

Last edited by vachief; Yesterday at 07:27 AM.
post #10627 of 10645 Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
Yeah, that part I think I had figured out. But I don't know what colors are which numbered pin. And with a null cable, are both ends the "null configuration" or is it one of each?
I think, I now understand: you want to build an extension cable with an Ethernet cable and one these adapters on either end.

How about these links:

DB9-Null Modem

DB9-Straight Through

____
Axel

post #10628 of 10645 Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think, I now understand: you want to build an extension cable with an Ethernet cable and one these adapters on either end.

How about these links:

DB9-Null Modem

DB9-Straight Through

____
Axel
Correct. I have an ethernet cable ran to the projector which will use a male/female straight configuration. And I planned to use a ethernet cable for the Lumagen and it would be a female/female Null configuration.

Are the colors the same for all of the adapters?

The pictures are also confusing to me because they flip the pin order. Is that because one side of the cable mirror's the other?

post #10629 of 10645 Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Correct. I have an ethernet cable ran to the projector which will use a male/female straight configuration. And I planned to use a ethernet cable for the Lumagen and it would be a female/female Null configuration.

The pictures are also confusing to me because they flip the pin order. Is that because one side of the cable mirror's the other?
ChldsPlay, To add what Axel has supplied, I purchased a bunch of these adapters (purchased extras in case I messed up, broke a pin etc.) myself and made a bunch of straight and null cables last year. First time I had ever done it so I had to do alot of research so here is what I put together for myself in case I had to make more - hope this helps.

jidelite
Attached Files
File Type: doc DB9-RJ45 pins for RS232 v2.doc (39.5 KB, 7 views)
post #10630 of 10645 Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jidelite View Post
ChldsPlay, To add what Axel has supplied, I purchased a bunch of these adapters (purchased extras in case I messed up, broke a pin etc.) myself and made a bunch of straight and null cables last year. First time I had ever done it so I had to do alot of research so here is what I put together for myself in case I had to make more - hope this helps.

jidelite
That's helpful, thank you. In the pictures you have, where it says it is looking into the connector, is that the front of the connector (the part that plugs into the ports on the devices), or the back (where the pins are plugged in)?

post #10631 of 10645 Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Why make it when they are available for cheap? Something like this should work for the Lumagen.

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Mod...ET2YM2SPRAZFFZ
post #10632 of 10645 Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachief View Post
I haven't had any luck getting feedback to work for my VPL-HW55ES. I am using the Sony HW55ES - Feedback-Tokenized_0614 set of commands with an RS-232 connection. I've tried many of the feedbacks and none seem to be working for me. For example, I put the "MOTION ENHANCE" textual feedback on my remote. I set up an entrance to "Query Motion Enhance" that repeats every 15 seconds. Yet, the feedback always says "OFF" regardless of whatever I change it too. Am I missing something? I am having the same problem with the other feedbacks for the projector as well.

Alternatively, is there a way to set your projector to display on screen the feedback like it does for the IR remote that came with the projector? So, that when I change the motion enhance setting, it displays it on screen?
vachief, Those feedback codes are mine - let me see if I can help...are you also using my set of Device codes (Sony VPL-HW55ES RS-232_0614)? First not sure why you set up an entrance to "Query Motion Enhance" that repeats every 15 seconds - this should be pretty static and won't change unless you manually change it so checking every 15 sec maybe a little exessive. To get to display on the screen I use the Motion Enhance Toggle commnad from my Sony VPL-HW55ES RS-232_0614. So to start, what does Tokenized Feedback property look like - mine looks like this

jidelite
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony Feedback device with Property.png
Views:	8
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	802714  
post #10633 of 10645 Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's helpful, thank you. In the pictures you have, where it says it is looking into the connector, is that the front of the connector (the part that plugs into the ports on the devices), or the back (where the pins are plugged in)?
ChldsPlay, The front of the connectors - the part you plug in. By the way it may be easier to by one already made but I had to make a 50ft run as that's how far the projector is to my equipment rack. Far more easier/CHEAPER to run 50ft ethernet cable and make adapters than a pre-made serial cable (I don't remember if they even make 50ft serial cable )...

Edit: Ah, didn't look up the pre-made adapters...they are certainly easier (a litttle more expensive though) but I also like to tinker..

jidelite

Last edited by jidelite; Yesterday at 10:40 AM.
post #10634 of 10645 Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM

Quote:
vachief, Those feedback codes are mine - let me see if I can help...are you also using my set of Device codes (Sony VPL-HW55ES RS-232_0614)? First not sure why you set up an entrance to "Query Motion Enhance" that repeats every 15 seconds - this should be pretty static and won't change unless you manually change it so checking every 15 sec maybe a little exessive. To get to display on the screen I use the Motion Enhance Toggle commnad from my Sony VPL-HW55ES RS-232_0614. So to start, what does Tokenized Feedback property look like - mine looks like this

jidelite
jidelite, i set up the entrance just to try and force it to update because it wasn't working otherwise. Obviously, it didn't help, so I will remove it. Here are my tokenized feedback properties. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	15
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	802770  

Last edited by vachief; Yesterday at 10:45 AM.
post #10635 of 10645 Old Yesterday, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Here is a maybe more practical way to sort it out and which I have used in the past a few times with success:
· It comes down to where the TX and RX pins go.
· Assemble one of the two adapters completely.
· Connect the Ethernet cable to the Lumagen via above adapter.
· Connect the not-yet-assembled second adapter to the Ethernet cable.
· Take the ‘loose’ pins of the second adapter and provisionally connect them to the GC. Ground should be clear; TX and RX are the only variables. If Attempt A does not work, reverse the pins for TX and RX (Attempt B). (Do not push the pins into the adapter’s black plastic piece yet, until you are sure your pin-out is correct.)

As others have already mentioned, if possible, I’d go with a long serial cable, e.g. from monoprice, rather than above.

_______
Axel

post #10636 of 10645 Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
jidelite, i set up the entrance just to try and force it to update because it wasn't working otherwise. Obviously, it didn't help, so I will remove it. Here are my tokenized feedback properties. Thanks!
Ok, that looks good. So you ae having trouble with 'all' feedback - let me switch from the Builder to the iRule app...In the app go to PANELS ->Devices (assigned devices) and tap Sony VPL-HW55ES RS-232_0614. Under FEEDBACKS section do you have anything (should be Sony HW55ES - Feedback-Tokenized_0614 unless you named it something diff).

jidelite
post #10637 of 10645 Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Ok, that looks good. So you ae having trouble with 'all' feedback - let me switch from the Builder to the iRule app...In the app go to PANELS ->Devices (assigned devices) and tap Sony VPL-HW55ES RS-232_0614. Under FEEDBACKS section do you have anything (should be Sony HW55ES - Feedback-Tokenized_0614 unless you named it something diff).

jidelite
Yes, it says "Sony HW55ES - Feedback-Tokenized_0614" in the feedbacks section.
post #10638 of 10645 Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, it says "Sony HW55ES - Feedback-Tokenized_0614" in the feedbacks section.
Ok, back to the Builder. I'm going to try and supply you an example of the Motion Enhancer feedback that I have... Besides feedback not working, are any RS232 commands working? For example, you wanted to see Motion Enhancer info on the screen - can you issue the Motion Enhance toggle command?

jidelite
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sony Motion Enhance  Toggle button.png
Views:	13
Size:	830.1 KB
ID:	803234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony Motion Enhance Builder layout for Text Feedback.png
Views:	12
Size:	656.0 KB
ID:	803242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony Motion Enhance HIGH Text Feedback.png
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	803250   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony Motion Enhance LOW Text Feedback.png
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	803258   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony Motion Enhance OFF Text Feedback.png
Views:	11
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	803266  

Name:	Sony Motion Enhance Text Feedback.png
Views:	11
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	803274  
post #10639 of 10645 Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Ok, back to the Builder. I'm going to try and supply you an example of the Motion Enhancer feedback that I have... Besides feedback not working, are any RS232 commands working? For example, you wanted to see Motion Enhancer info on the screen - can you issue the Motion Enhance toggle command?

jidelite
Yes, I can issue the Motion Enhance toggle command (and pretty much all RS-232 commands) with no problem. The problem is just feedback. I don't see anything different in your setup than mine. I tried adding both the projector Power and the Aspect Ratio feedback to the screen, and neither of them are working either. I've gotten feedback to work with all of my other devices (Denon AVR, DirecTV, and Oppo Bluray player), so it seems to be something unique to this projector that I am missing.
post #10640 of 10645 Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, I can issue the Motion Enhance toggle command (and pretty much all RS-232 commands) with no problem. The problem is just feedback. I don't see anything different in your setup than mine. I tried adding both the projector Power and the Aspect Ratio feedback to the screen, and neither of them are working either. I've gotten feedback to work with all of my other devices (Denon AVR, DirecTV, and Oppo Bluray player), so it seems to be something unique to this projector that I am missing.
vachief, I'm scratching my head but it is so hard to figure these things out without actually see stuff. Since you have feedback for your other devices at least you know your way around iRule. One more check, the feedback Device Property make sure the STARTS WITH code (\xA9) and ENDS WITH (\x9A) do not have any 'hidden' spaces behind them. I think this bit me once with another device...

jidelite
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sony Feedback device with Property.png
Views:	9
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	803586  
post #10641 of 10645 Old Yesterday, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Here is a maybe more practical way to sort it out and which I have used in the past a few times with success:
· It comes down to where the TX and RX pins go.
· Assemble one of the two adapters completely.
· Connect the Ethernet cable to the Lumagen via above adapter.
· Connect the not-yet-assembled second adapter to the Ethernet cable.
· Take the ‘loose’ pins of the second adapter and provisionally connect them to the GC. Ground should be clear; TX and RX are the only variables. If Attempt A does not work, reverse the pins for TX and RX (Attempt B). (Do not push the pins into the adapter’s black plastic piece yet, until you are sure your pin-out is correct.)

As others have already mentioned, if possible, I’d go with a long serial cable, e.g. from monoprice, rather than above.

_______
Axel
That was a good idea, and it worked. Thank you. I now have the Lumagen working. Now it's just the projector. I still need to get a male adapter.

I'd rather not have to get a cable as I'd have to run it to the projector. There is conduit, but I still think the adapters would be easier.

I am having some other issues too. Some of my panels aren't showing up when I click on the Panels option from the drop down. All of them are there except the panel for my receiver, lumagen, and drawers. I can only access them by putting a link into another panel. Not sure why this is.

Also, I can't seem to get the ISY Module to work at all. The gateway is fine as I can create a button and enter an address manually and that works. The switches, dimmers and scenes don't do anything, and I get a timeout icon on all of them.

post #10642 of 10645 Old Today, 03:53 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked: 600
iRule

Finally got my system up and running on irule I'm impressed on how well it works. I know I'm very late to the party lol but I'm impressed on what you can do it ( without having to be a programmer like with pronto and its pronto script ).
Time to sell my two TSU 9800 and 5 Rfx 9600 extenders.

Frank

Frank
post #10643 of 10645 Old Today, 05:26 AM

Quote:
vachief, I'm scratching my head but it is so hard to figure these things out without actually see stuff. Since you have feedback for your other devices at least you know your way around iRule. One more check, the feedback Device Property make sure the STARTS WITH code (\xA9) and ENDS WITH (\x9A) do not have any 'hidden' spaces behind them. I think this bit me once with another device...

jidelite
So, I played around with this more last night and got it working....somewhat. I've gotten a few of the feedbacks to work (motion enhancer and RC setting). However, the update is really delayed. Like several minutes delayed... I have a button on my remote that re-queries for these things, but it takes way too long to get the response back. So, I'm thinking that I have something else going on that is making the projector take so long with my requests. I assume that this isn't normal behavior to take so long, right? Also, there are some that just seem to never work (power status and aspect).
post #10644 of 10645 Old Today, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So, I played around with this more last night and got it working....somewhat. I've gotten a few of the feedbacks to work (motion enhancer and RC setting). However, the update is really delayed. Like several minutes delayed... I have a button on my remote that re-queries for these things, but it takes way too long to get the response back. So, I'm thinking that I have something else going on that is making the projector take so long with my requests. I assume that this isn't normal behavior to take so long, right? Also, there are some that just seem to never work (power status and aspect).
Great, you got feedback working! My feedbacks are returned within seconds so I'm not sure why the delay with you - maybe too many repeat commands, extended delay commands etc. or maybe its your gatwway (iTach or GC-100). I don't use Aspect feedback but I think I had to play with SETUP to get the Power Status working like I wanted. For the Projector SETUP my settings are:
Cooling Setting = Standard
Standby Mode = Standard
Power Saving = Standby

Then with the Power Status, the projector would cycle thru the different stages when shutdown (Cooling1, Cooling2 etc) and sometimes it would take several minutes before reaching Standby. If you think you are having problems with the Projector itself you'll probably be better served asking over in the Sony HW55 thread - I've had mine for about a yr and have not had any problems...

jidelite
post #10645 of 10645 Unread Today, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Finally got my system up and running on irule I'm impressed on how well it works. I know I'm very late to the party lol but I'm impressed on what you can do it ( without having to be a programmer like with pronto and its pronto script ).
Time to sell my two TSU 9800 and 5 Rfx 9600 extenders.

Frank
Yeah I dumped my prontos some time ago. Right after they got out of the business. I believe we had similar setups. iRule does it all now in several rooms in our home. SJ
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Sharp Aquos , Lcd Hdtv , Receivers Amplifiers , Philips Pronto Tsu7000 The Intelligent Remote Control For Home Theater
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page