iRule - Page 370 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 71Likes
post #11071 of 11081 Unread 09-15-2016, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Has anyone updated to the new Apple OS 10? And if they have is there any issues with Irule ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11072 of 11081 Unread 09-15-2016, 09:22 AM
CIH USER

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2077 Post(s)
Liked: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by osupike99 View Post
I have been running iOS 10 since beta and no issues with the app.

Thanks, will update now

Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #11073 of 11081 Unread 09-17-2016, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
iRule voice control

I'm posting a version of this on the iRule Community forum as well:

Exhaustive search for "voice control", "Amazon Echo", "Alexa", and various permutations yielded nothing on this iRule thread, so i'll add it.

I've been using, and been very happy with, iRule for years to control my home theater. Probably the best $100 licensing fee I ever purchased given the functionality and years of service. It was the most flexible solution I could find five or six years ago for getting all the remotes off the coffee table. After getting through the learning curve, I was able to get an old tablet up and running, and I was also able to make it simple enough that the whole family can - and does - use it for controlling the primary home theater. I've made several modifications over the years as my equipment has changed, and what used to take days now takes hours, and what used to take hours now takes minutes.

With my iRule background covered, let's get to the meat of the post. Up to now, the Amazon Echo has skills to cover almost all of my home automation wants: alarm.com (including zwave devices), Ring Doorbells, and Ooma. Sonos and iRule are the missing links. If I can confirm that the upcoming Sonos integration with Amazon Echo will allow me access to all my music (Google Play Music, most importantly) and will allow Sonos to become the default output destination for all Echo audio feedback, I'm going to buy an 8-pack of Amazon Echo Dots for strategic placement in my home. If I can't get all of that, I'm going to continue to wait for the next thing. But for now, let's play like the Sonos integration does satisfy both of those requirements and they do it well.

Having my home theater hanging outside this bubble of voice controlled automation is unacceptable. No where on iRule's forums can I find any evidence that they have plans for any sort of voice control implementation. Sure, there are complicated github hacks I could probably tinker with to achieve what I want, but somewhere in the background, I'd have to have some new software and an always on PC at the least. I'm not a developer...not even in the IT field. Everything I've learned has been through google searches and youtube videos, and it takes me a lot longer to figure out this stuff than many of the experts that post on these forums.

Not that I relish the thought of another learning curve, but it looks like I'll be making the jump to simplecontrol over the coming months if all the above plays out as I'm hoping. I imagine I'll still keep the iRule home theater tablet / iTach for our continuing every day use, but it's a shame I'm going to have to re-create the countless hours of time I spent creating the perfect sequences and delays on some other platform to achieve voice control. I'm open to any advice others may have, as I'm sure I'm not the first to come this realization.
post #11074 of 11081 Unread 09-18-2016, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is anyone using the function aspect of irule and if so how you using it?

Also I noticed some issues with IOS 10 and my ipad pro. The buttons don't line up with my images. I am pretty sure this wasn't an issue before IOS 10. I haven't redone some interfaces or created a device for the 12.9 ipad pro...
post #11075 of 11081 Unread 09-18-2016, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1492 View Post
I'm posting a version of this on the iRule Community forum as well:

Exhaustive search for "voice control", "Amazon Echo", "Alexa", and various permutations yielded nothing on this iRule thread, so i'll add it.

I've been using, and been very happy with, iRule for years to control my home theater. Probably the best $100 licensing fee I ever purchased given the functionality and years of service. It was the most flexible solution I could find five or six years ago for getting all the remotes off the coffee table. After getting through the learning curve, I was able to get an old tablet up and running, and I was also able to make it simple enough that the whole family can - and does - use it for controlling the primary home theater. I've made several modifications over the years as my equipment has changed, and what used to take days now takes hours, and what used to take hours now takes minutes.

With my iRule background covered, let's get to the meat of the post. Up to now, the Amazon Echo has skills to cover almost all of my home automation wants: alarm.com (including zwave devices), Ring Doorbells, and Ooma. Sonos and iRule are the missing links. If I can confirm that the upcoming Sonos integration with Amazon Echo will allow me access to all my music (Google Play Music, most importantly) and will allow Sonos to become the default output destination for all Echo audio feedback, I'm going to buy an 8-pack of Amazon Echo Dots for strategic placement in my home. If I can't get all of that, I'm going to continue to wait for the next thing. But for now, let's play like the Sonos integration does satisfy both of those requirements and they do it well.

Having my home theater hanging outside this bubble of voice controlled automation is unacceptable. No where on iRule's forums can I find any evidence that they have plans for any sort of voice control implementation. Sure, there are complicated github hacks I could probably tinker with to achieve what I want, but somewhere in the background, I'd have to have some new software and an always on PC at the least. I'm not a developer...not even in the IT field. Everything I've learned has been through google searches and youtube videos, and it takes me a lot longer to figure out this stuff than many of the experts that post on these forums.

Not that I relish the thought of another learning curve, but it looks like I'll be making the jump to simplecontrol over the coming months if all the above plays out as I'm hoping. I imagine I'll still keep the iRule home theater tablet / iTach for our continuing every day use, but it's a shame I'm going to have to re-create the countless hours of time I spent creating the perfect sequences and delays on some other platform to achieve voice control. I'm open to any advice others may have, as I'm sure I'm not the first to come this realization.
Shoot a PM to @dlbeck . I believe he has solved this problem with integration of Amazon Echo's Alexa and iRule into his Home Theater.

--Posted via Tapatalk, which actually is pretty cool.
ben1492 likes this.
post #11076 of 11081 Unread 09-19-2016, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Shoot a PM to @dlbeck . I believe he has solved this problem with integration of Amazon Echo's Alexa and iRule into his Home Theater.

--Posted via Tapatalk, which actually is pretty cool.
Thanks...I just tried to PM dlbeck, but I don't have enough posts on the forum to PM yet (9 shy). I may try to fix that this evening if I can find enough of value to add to the forum. Not that I'm new to this, but my setup is hardly as involved as some that I have seen on this forum (said with much envy).
post #11077 of 11081 Unread 09-22-2016, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Vizio P Series (2016 C3) and IR control

Is anyone able to control the current P Series TV via IR codes? I have tried all devices I could find in the iRule database but no joy.

BTW, where on the TV is the IR sensor located?
(edit: the IR sensor seems to be located on the TV's bottom left side.)
_____
Axel

Last edited by Axel; 09-22-2016 at 08:34 AM.
post #11078 of 11081 Unread 09-22-2016, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
Vizio P Series (2016 C3) and IR control

Is anyone able to control the current P Series TV via IR codes? I have tried all devices I could find in the iRule database but no joy.

BTW, where on the TV is the IR sensor located?
(edit: the IR sensor seems to be located on the TV's bottom left side.)
_____
Axel
What's the actual model number?
post #11079 of 11081 Unread 09-22-2016, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osupike99 View Post
What's the actual model number?
Alex;

It's a P55-C1.

I made some progress in the meantime. I now able to get some response from the TV, but I have to position the IR emitter as well as the blaster I was trying very close to the TV's sensor..and even there it is hit or miss. I may try a different iTach.

_____
Axel

post #11080 of 11081 Unread 09-22-2016, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

More progress: the other iTach and blaster gets me much better results. Fairly usable. Maybe I can fine-tune it a bit more.

_____
Axel

post #11081 of 11081 Unread 09-25-2016, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Am I missing something with 12.9 images? Do you need larger images to make this all work? I have my old panels and when imported everything is obviously small. Is there some way to resize the current images to they are larger? I tried messing with the rows and columns but that didn't seem to help?

Thanks in adance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Sharp Aquos , Lcd Hdtv , Receivers Amplifiers , Philips Pronto Tsu7000 The Intelligent Remote Control For Home Theater
Gear in this thread