post #11251 of 11274 Old 04-27-2017, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Is there an irule FAQ somewhere?

Otherwise I'll have to search through 11k posts and/or ask the same questions that have probably already been asked many times.

But let me start with what may be a showstopper - can it control a Lutron RF dimmer?
Not unless the Lutron has a REST interface
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11252 of 11274 Old 04-27-2017, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked: 341
ok thanks

Noah
post #11253 of 11274 Old 04-27-2017, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Guebert View Post
Not unless the Lutron has a REST interface

From the iRule website:

http://getirule.com/support/compatible-devices/

look under iP Network enabled devices and you will see:

LutronRadio RA2 Main RepeaterNetwork Gateway with username and password

iRule communicates over WiFi to either gateways that communicate with the target device or directly to network enabled devices.

It looks like if you use the RA2 repeater then you are in business. iRule even has preprogrammed modules that support the Radio RA devices.

post #11254 of 11274 Old 04-27-2017, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked: 341
I Have a Lutron Maestro, not RA, so I'm out of luck; thanks

Noah
post #11255 of 11274 Old 04-28-2017, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
I Have a Lutron Maestro, not RA, so I'm out of luck; thanks

How are you controlling your Maestro's? I was reading Lutron's webpage and only saw an IR remote control description. I then went to the iRule builder and found Maestro IR commands.

I think that with a iTach Ethernet to IR converter you will be able to control your Maestros. The only issue you are going to have is getting the IR signal from the iTach to be seen by all of your switches/dimmers. You may need multiple IR emitters.
post #11256 of 11274 Old 05-03-2017, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepainter View Post
UPDATE, finally got it going. Seems to have been a problem with serial commands via my GC-100-06. Swapped with an itach and is now working with the codes found on site. Nothing added (no carriage return).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you end up using a null modem cable? I have two MRC88's for my 8 source 16 zone system and a null cable is definitely needed to connect the two MRC's but my XDT and old XIS100 don't require them.
post #11257 of 11274 Old 05-16-2017, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I was considering using iRule to take a stab at automating my theater room.

I have a few questions:

1) I emailed iRule support with some questions. They never responded. I asked #2 and #3 below.

2) Has anyone been able to "reset" their trial? I did a trial about a year ago but things came up and I couldn't get started really.

3) Can iRule control Lutron SivoiaQS and Grafik Eye QS over a wired QS link using a QSE-CI-NWK-E (Ethernet to QS-Link bridge)? Someone responded saying that a custom iRule device can do this? Can I create devices that are customized i.e. pick the protocol type (like serial or TCP Socket to an IP:Port) and then send any commands I wish? Do I need professional version of iRule to do this if so?

4) Is iRule still being supported? I read that company is acting weird to iRule customers lately (see #1 above...)

5) Can another solution work if I have a Global Cache GC-100-06 already? I tested it with the "iTest" tool and the GC can send IR codes okay and serial codes to my projector too... (i.e. another solution like Simple Control - or do I have to use their gateway?)

Thanks for any help!

Hardware and System engineer. Enjoy theaters, automation, media and the outdoors.
Love the hobby, but always have to remember to keep family first!
"The Escape Pod" - First Theater Build
post #11258 of 11274 Old 05-17-2017, 03:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrg View Post
I was considering using iRule to take a stab at automating my theater room.

I have a few questions:

1) I emailed iRule support with some questions. They never responded. I asked #2 and #3 below.

2) Has anyone been able to "reset" their trial? I did a trial about a year ago but things came up and I couldn't get started really.

3) Can iRule control Lutron SivoiaQS and Grafik Eye QS over a wired QS link using a QSE-CI-NWK-E (Ethernet to QS-Link bridge)? Someone responded saying that a custom iRule device can do this? Can I create devices that are customized i.e. pick the protocol type (like serial or TCP Socket to an IP:Port) and then send any commands I wish? Do I need professional version of iRule to do this if so?

4) Is iRule still being supported? I read that company is acting weird to iRule customers lately (see #1 above...)

5) Can another solution work if I have a Global Cache GC-100-06 already? I tested it with the "iTest" tool and the GC can send IR codes okay and serial codes to my projector too... (i.e. another solution like Simple Control - or do I have to use their gateway?)

Thanks for any help!
1. See answer 4.

2. I doubt it, same answer as above.

3. If it's a tcp, ir, or serial then yes you can make your own or customize existing. This generally works really well.

4. No. They sold the company and the new co developed the product as a dealer product and basically is ignoring irule. I'm having issues with commands being ignored in global macros and it's pretty annoying and yeah there's no support.

5. Global cache works great. Gc100 will only let you control it with one device at a time, it's tcp session based. The itachs work really well though.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #11259 of 11274 Old 05-19-2017, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_B View Post
1. See answer 4.

2. I doubt it, same answer as above.

3. If it's a tcp, ir, or serial then yes you can make your own or customize existing. This generally works really well.

4. No. They sold the company and the new co developed the product as a dealer product and basically is ignoring irule. I'm having issues with commands being ignored in global macros and it's pretty annoying and yeah there's no support.

5. Global cache works great. Gc100 will only let you control it with one device at a time, it's tcp session based. The itachs work really well though.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Thanks so much! For #5 , I assume several solutions work with the Global Cache stuff? Like I don't have to go with iRule if I have GC products? I know "Simple Connect" product has their own line of bridges and stuff, but do they also work with Global Cache?

In everyone's opinion, is it worth $50 to go down the iRule route, or is there another popular and fairly easy to use solution?

I'm controlling the following. The Lutron stuff is the reason I asked #3:

Sony VPL-HW55ES with Serial (through GC-100-06)
Oppo BRP-103D (network or IR, prefer network)
Marantz SR7009 (network or IR, again prefer network)
Onkyo DX-C390 6 disk changer (IR through GC-100-06)
Roku 3 (Network)
Lutron Sivoia QS wired shade (using Lutron QSE-CI-NWK-E Network (telnet) to QS-Link bridge)
Lutron Grafik Eye QS wired (using Lutron QSE-CI-NWK-E Network (telnet) to QS-Link bridge)

Later:
Roku 2 XS (network)
Sony BluRay Player (Network?)
Sony DVD player (IR), and
Sony xbr43x800d LCD TV (network)
An old VCR (IR - if I can figure out the codes...)

Hardware and System engineer. Enjoy theaters, automation, media and the outdoors.
post #11260 of 11274 Old 05-21-2017, 06:48 AM
wnl

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Thanks so much! For #5 , I assume several solutions work with the Global Cache stuff? Like I don't have to go with iRule if I have GC products? I know "Simple Connect" product has their own line of bridges and stuff, but do they also work with Global Cache?
That's correct. A GC just provides a way to access IR or serial devices over the local network. The protocol is not proprietary.

Quote:
In everyone's opinion, is it worth $50 to go down the iRule route, or is there another popular and fairly easy to use solution?
If there is another comparable product I would like to know about it.

At this point there is a risk that you will spend that $50 only to have the builder wesite disappear. At that point iRule itself would continue to function (until the app becomes incompatible with newer releases of AndroidOS or iOS), but you would not be able to change anything. You will have to decide for yourself if functionality today is worth the risk.

Quote:
I'm controlling the following. The Lutron stuff is the reason I asked #3:

Sony VPL-HW55ES with Serial (through GC-100-06)
Oppo BRP-103D (network or IR, prefer network)
Marantz SR7009 (network or IR, again prefer network)
Onkyo DX-C390 6 disk changer (IR through GC-100-06)
Roku 3 (Network)
Lutron Sivoia QS wired shade (using Lutron QSE-CI-NWK-E Network (telnet) to QS-Link bridge)
Lutron Grafik Eye QS wired (using Lutron QSE-CI-NWK-E Network (telnet) to QS-Link bridge)
Looking in the iRule library I see drivers for the Sivoia shade (both RS232 and IP), and the graphic eye. Hard to tell if they work in your particular environment, but there's quite a few Lutron drivers in the list.

I have a BP-103, but control it over a serial connection.

You also mentioned the possibility for sony bluray and dvd players. One difficulty I have found with some of the Sony players is that there is no discrete on/off, just a "power toggle" command. This can be frustrating when putting together more complex functionality.
danielrg likes this.
post #11261 of 11274 Old 05-21-2017, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnl View Post

If there is another comparable product I would like to know about it.

At this point there is a risk that you will spend that $50 only to have the builder wesite disappear. At that point iRule itself would continue to function (until the app becomes incompatible with newer releases of AndroidOS or iOS), but you would not be able to change anything. You will have to decide for yourself if functionality today is worth the risk.
I guess the question is what is comparable...
There are several solutions that do more, but certainly cost more.
I call them "Master Controllers" to differentiate them from "hubs" as they do different tasks than a hub with some overlap.

Homeseer, CQC and Allonis's myServer essentially connect to different hardware / software devices and apps and consolidate data and services together into one eco-system of rules and configurable user interfaces. Which is kinda what iRule does.

The difference is that these three go way beyond what iRule does. And all three are actively supported.

If I can answer any myServer questions - let me know via PM, or post.
post #11262 of 11274 Old 05-21-2017, 10:48 AM
wnl

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothtlk View Post
I guess the question is what is comparable...
There are several solutions that do more, but certainly cost more.
I call them "Master Controllers" to differentiate them from "hubs" as they do different tasks than a hub with some overlap.

Homeseer, CQC and Allonis's myServer essentially connect to different hardware / software devices and apps and consolidate data and services together into one eco-system of rules and configurable user interfaces. Which is kinda what iRule does.
Good list! I would also add SimpleControl, which (apparently) is what Roomie has turned in to.

Looks like CQC and Allonis use a local server which requires Windows. For me personally that's a huge roadblock, since I don't have one and don't want to maintain and support one. What I like about iRule is its serverless architecture: the handheld units (phone/tablet) talk directly to the devices. Of course this can have disadvantages, too, depending on what you want to do with the product

I think SimpleControl is serverless. They have a hub product but it isn't required to use the app. Homeseer does require a central controller (from what I can tell), but it appears to be available as a standalone box as well as on Windows, Mac, and Linux.
post #11263 of 11274 Old 05-21-2017, 11:14 AM

The central architecture module is more advanced than the UI talking directly to the device like iRule requires.
It opens up many capabilities.

ie: your tablet / phone may not be in the house...something needs to turn on the hot tub and warm it up before you get home. The server's automation rule can do that.

iRule is essentially a remote control...it's not an automation system.

The Master Controllers are both a remote control (using your smartphone or tablet or desktop pc) AND an automation system.

myServer is also available as is Homeseer on prebuilt boxes that we call "Controllers".
The most advanced versions of the three software company's products do run on Windows as it takes advantage of the billions of development dollars that went into that.
Baser versions of Homeseer are available to run on a Raspberry Pi type device that is closer to the more limited capabilities of a "hub".

As far as "maintain"...at least with myServer's controllers, there is no required maintenance. Once it is configured for your needs, if your needs don't change, it just runs. You don't need to know it is Windows.

Since most of the time the system is running at CPU idle, it doesn't consume much energy waiting for and event to occur.
danielrg likes this.
post #11264 of 11274 Old 05-21-2017, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnl View Post
Good list! I would also add SimpleControl, which (apparently) is what Roomie has turned in to.
Heh. When I said "Simple Connect" in my previous post I actually meant SimpleControl. Seems this is the most direct competitor to iRule... but with their own line of bridges didn't know if they worked well with Global Cache. Probably is fine...

post #11265 of 11274 Old 05-21-2017, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothtlk View Post
The central architecture module is more advanced than the UI talking directly to the device like iRule requires.
It opens up many capabilities.

ie: your tablet / phone may not be in the house...something needs to turn on the hot tub and warm it up before you get home. The server's automation rule can do that.

iRule is essentially a remote control...it's not an automation system.

The Master Controllers are both a remote control (using your smartphone or tablet or desktop pc) AND an automation system.

myServer is also available as is Homeseer on prebuilt boxes that we call "Controllers".
The most advanced versions of the three software company's products do run on Windows as it takes advantage of the billions of development dollars that went into that.
Baser versions of Homeseer are available to run on a Raspberry Pi type device that is closer to the more limited capabilities of a "hub".

As far as "maintain"...at least with myServer's controllers, there is no required maintenance. Once it is configured for your needs, if your needs don't change, it just runs. You don't need to know it is Windows.

Since most of the time the system is running at CPU idle, it doesn't consume much energy waiting for and event to occur.
Thanks much for the clarifications, that provides great context. I think it might be natural to start with a remote control solution to learn things, then move on to having a central controller. But I could just dive in all the way too, either way could work. I was looking at Control4 too, but they seem to be pricey and work through contractors almost exclusively. Something more accessible to home user is more my cup of tea, being a very technical person myself.

post #11266 of 11274 Old 05-21-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks much for the clarifications, that provides great context. I think it might be natural to start with a remote control solution to learn things, then move on to having a central controller. But I could just dive in all the way too, either way could work. I was looking at Control4 too, but they seem to be pricey and work through contractors almost exclusively. Something more accessible to home user is more my cup of tea, being a very technical person myself.

What you could also do is install the software which provides a free 30 day demo. Fully functional. If you decide it's for you, just purchase the licenses and enjoy for ever!
We started here on AVSForum years ago and still love home theater and automation. We cater to both the DIY'r as well as dealer installations. We do our own installs in Michigan too.
danielrg likes this.
post #11267 of 11274 Unread 05-26-2017, 08:41 PM
CIH USER

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2294 Post(s)
Liked: 1389
Hi all
I'm curious if any are you are having issues with the Apple TV Module? Just to clear first, the firmware / software is up to date in the iPad mini 3 and Apple tv's.
What's happening is the Apple TV at first is pairing with irule ( you type the code in, no issues ) but after a few minutes the connection drops between the two. Though the Apple TV still shows it's paired but irule gateway shows the Apple Ip is now red, no connection . I've tried two AT4 And one AT3 all having the same issue. I've even gone to the length of resetting each of the ATV's back to factory default but still with the same issue.
I've even tried the Apple TV App ( the one supplied by Apple ) and it didn't drop out when watching a movie ( that's pairing the Apple TV App whilst watching a movie ). But I will say, it shows offline ( on the ATV App ) when trying to select the ATV's later on when trying to turn on. This has got me buggered. I contacted support they told me it's in the name ( iOS settings ) of my iPad assuming I had the character ' in the name, which I never had ( FRANKS HT ). Never had this issue before. I haven't changed anything on my router ( network ), it runs all my GC perfectly and no issues going onto the internet. I run my movie rentals via the Apple TV via home sharing. The MacBook Air stores the rentals and everything is run via ethernet through the router. Just in case anyone asks the MacBook Air doesn't have an Ethernet plug. That's done via those USB - Ethernet modules, never had an issue with this setup before.
To get around this at the moment I'm using the ATV 4 Bluetooth remote.

Sorry for the long post I tried to add everything in just in case you need to ask some questions.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #11268 of 11274 Unread 05-26-2017, 08:49 PM
CIH USER

Hi all
I'm curious if any are you are having issues with the Apple TV Module? Just to clear first, the firmware / software is up to date in the iPad mini 3 and Apple tv's.
What's happening is the Apple TV at first is pairing with irule ( you type the code in, no issues ) but after a few minutes the connection drops between the two. Though the Apple TV still shows it's paired but irule gateway shows the Apple Ip is now red, no connection . I've tried two AT4 And one AT3 all having the same issue. I've even gone to the length of resetting each of the ATV's back to factory default but still with the same issue.
I've even tried the Apple TV App ( the one supplied by Apple ) and it didn't drop out when watching a movie ( that's pairing the Apple TV App whilst watching a movie ). But I will say, it shows offline ( on the ATV App ) when trying to select the ATV's later on when trying to turn on. This has got me buggered. I contacted support they told me it's in the name ( iOS settings ) of my iPad assuming I had the character ' in the name, which I never had ( FRANKS HT ). Never had this issue before. I haven't changed anything on my router ( network ), it runs all my GC perfectly and no issues going onto the internet. I run my movie rentals via the Apple TV via home sharing. The MacBook Air stores the rentals and everything is run via ethernet through the router. Just in case anyone asks the MacBook Air doesn't have an Ethernet plug. That's done via those USB - Ethernet modules, never had an issue with this setup before.
To get around this at the moment I'm using the ATV 4 Bluetooth remote.

Sorry for the long post I tried to add everything in just in case you need to ask some questions.

post #11269 of 11274 Unread 05-27-2017, 04:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Reboot your router and see if that makes any difference.

Then consider using an mDNS or Bonjour browser to see what's being handled 'behind the scenes' for the dynamic name lookups these use. It's possible something on your network is misconfigured and getting in the way of the mDNS network data.
post #11270 of 11274 Unread 05-27-2017, 04:38 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

Then consider using an mDNS or Bonjour browser to see what's being handled 'behind the scenes' for the dynamic name lookups these use. It's possible something on your network is misconfigured and getting in the way of the mDNS network data.

Thanks wkearney99, I'll give that a go.

post #11271 of 11274 Unread Yesterday, 09:17 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

Reboot router back to factory default , paired up this morning looked promising. Came back tonight and gateway had issues picking it up again. Everything else, fine.

This has got me beat.

post #11272 of 11274 Unread Today, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If it worked after rebooting your router... and then stopped working... one has to wonder if it's the router having problems.

The way mDNS works is 'fragile' at best.

That and how networks can be configured can also be quite wildly different. Especially if there's a ton of devices, traffic or other interference involved.

Start simple, scale back to as few devices as possible and see at what point things 'stop working' reliably.
post #11273 of 11274 Unread Today, 09:42 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
If it worked after rebooting your router... and then stopped working... one has to wonder if it's the router having problems.

The way mDNS works is 'fragile' at best.

That and how networks can be configured can also be quite wildly different. Especially if there's a ton of devices, traffic or other interference involved.

Start simple, scale back to as few devices as possible and see at what point things 'stop working' reliably.

Thanks for your reply. I'm starting to work backwards and remove some devices from the router too see if they cause the issue.

post #11274 of 11274 Unread Today, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Thanks for your reply. I'm starting to work backwards and remove some devices from the router too see if they cause the issue.
That's a good plan. There are way too many variables to try and diagnose them, especially not here in a thread intended for another product.

My suggestion would be to investigate your particular router make/model AND firmware version and see if there are any known issues with it. Not just mDNS, but anything that might involve problems with multicast networking and dynamic device lookups and naming. Some routers do a worse job than others, but there's too many to try and figure it out in this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Sharp Aquos , Lcd Hdtv , Receivers Amplifiers , Philips Pronto Tsu7000 The Intelligent Remote Control For Home Theater
Gear in this thread