105Likes

post #11311 of 11319 Old 07-20-2017, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwinterberg View Post
I'm looking over your right shoulder. I think iRule has been great. Even now my remote works fine and I'm able to update it no problem. I agree that the next OS update may change my mind but I'm giving iRule/Kramer the benefit of the doubt.

I also think that the real problem with iRule was their business model. I think that it's too tough to keep quality on-going support without some continuous revenue stream. Sure if programmable universal remotes were ubiquitous and there was a constant stream of new customers then maybe their one time license would work but in reality I think that we are a limited market. An annual subscription might have been workable.

Just my $0.02

I would agree. I would have paid a small annual fee, I think it was great product for what it was and the DIY crowd. As far as the OS update, don't update your device, I am not going to take the chance of an OS update screwing things. I also have a dedicated ipad that runs my system and that is all I use it for so I am not concerned about apps not working and the device not being current.. It works great right now I'm not messing with it.

Creekside Stone Cinema
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11312 of 11319 Old 07-21-2017, 04:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Anybody using Tivo?

Hi, I'm trying to set up a Tivo T6 DVR and I'm only finding one set of ir codes in the database. Unfortunately, the code set is missing a few codes. I can't find the code for "on demand" or "menu" and also the command "Tivo" (the big Tivo button at the top of every Tivo remote.
Thanks.
post #11313 of 11319 Old 07-22-2017, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwinterberg View Post
I'm looking over your right shoulder. I think iRule has been great. Even now my remote works fine and I'm able to update it no problem. I agree that the next OS update may change my mind but I'm giving iRule/Kramer the benefit of the doubt.

I also think that the real problem with iRule was their business model. I think that it's too tough to keep quality on-going support without some continuous revenue stream. Sure if programmable universal remotes were ubiquitous and there was a constant stream of new customers then maybe their one time license would work but in reality I think that we are a limited market. An annual subscription might have been workable.

Just my $0.02
I agree there wasn't a revenue stream. I know for instance I have used a product like 1password which wasn't cheap in terms of other app pricing and at every new revision 2.x to 3.x they have an upgrade fee. Of course I am getting greater features with that expense so it is a win-win and we get continue development. This product didn't have it but if better skills and programming capabilities came along with a new version I would re-up but not idea what might happen and doesn't look positive.

post #11314 of 11319 Old 07-24-2017, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 26
So what's the next gen of the iRule concept? Harmony too simple, iRule will eventually dry up and it's other end of spectrum for level of complication.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #11315 of 11319 Old 07-25-2017, 08:37 PM
wnl

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I'm talking about folks who are considering replacing iRule and Global Cache hardware with Kramer software and hardware. I wouldn't give them any new business myself.
Okay, gotcha! I misunderstood your comments. Thanks for clarifying.

If Kramer requires me to buy a proprietary and expensive controller then that's a definite "no" for me.
post #11316 of 11319 Old 07-26-2017, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Going through the modules and speaking to Kramer they have told me the SL-280 is the one that is needed too work.
I contacted them. The Sl-240 is the minimum needed. You may have a larger system and need the SL-280. SL-240 retails for $900 but can be found on internet at lower price.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #11317 of 11319 Old 07-26-2017, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnl View Post
Okay, gotcha! I misunderstood your comments. Thanks for clarifying.

If Kramer requires me to buy a proprietary and expensive controller then that's a definite "no" for me.
Using the SL-240 and getting 4 RS232, and 4 IR, as well as 4 relay controls is cheaper than going the Global Cache route if you need more than 2 RS232 outputs like I do.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #11318 of 11319 Old 07-27-2017, 05:47 PM
wnl

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
Using the SL-240 and getting 4 RS232, and 4 IR, as well as 4 relay controls is cheaper than going the Global Cache route if you need more than 2 RS232 outputs like I do.
I needed 4 RS232 outputs. Fortunately I had a linux server sitting in the corner doing nothing, and a 4-port USB serial hub left over from my previous automation setup. Linux socat makes a perfectly usable converter.

From what I can determine the SL-240 isn't cheap.

Doing a quick bit of research it seems to me that two GC-100-12 units (for a total of 4 serial outputs, 6 relay controls, and 12 IR outputs) is still less than a SL-240, and they can be used with anything that communicates over TCP.

Last edited by wnl; 07-27-2017 at 05:51 PM.
post #11319 of 11319 Old 07-28-2017, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnl View Post
I needed 4 RS232 outputs. Fortunately I had a linux server sitting in the corner doing nothing, and a 4-port USB serial hub left over from my previous automation setup. Linux socat makes a perfectly usable converter.

From what I can determine the SL-240 isn't cheap.

Doing a quick bit of research it seems to me that two GC-100-12 units (for a total of 4 serial outputs, 6 relay controls, and 12 IR outputs) is still less than a SL-240, and they can be used with anything that communicates over TCP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
I use these for my rs-232 ports:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOXA-NPort-5...kAAOSwNnRYiC1y

If your equipment is arraigned fortuitously then perhaps an IR blaster will hit all the pieces?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr 3311ci Receiver , Sharp Aquos , Lcd Hdtv , Receivers Amplifiers , Philips Pronto Tsu7000 The Intelligent Remote Control For Home Theater

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page