Vizio Tablet Remote app. VTAB 1008 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 08-07-2011, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just thought I would check to see if anyone has tried the Vizio Tablet yet? It is supposed to have a built in IR app. My Harmony finally died on my yesterday so I guess I need a new remote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-08-2011, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 35
So far, less than stellar. It didn't even have my Vizio 65" TV in its DB. Control of my Denon AVR891 is limited to power and volume. Interaction is a bit slow.

Waiting on reply from Vizio but if nothing happens soon, its going back to Sams. $289 is too much for an item that doesn't excel in at least one area. Too bad, I had high hopes for the remote......

http://www.slashgear.com/vizio-tablet-review-06168819/
post #3 of 18 Old 08-08-2011, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post

So far, less than stellar. It didn't even have my Vizio 65" TV in its DB. Control of my Denon AVR891 is limited to power and volume. Interaction is a bit slow.

Waiting on reply from Vizio but if nothing happens soon, its going back to Sams. $289 is too much for an item that doesn't excel in at least one area. Too bad, I had high hopes for the remote......

http://www.slashgear.com/vizio-tablet-review-06168819/

The shame is the lack of information you can find out about the remote app. So you can't "learn" remotes? I was afraid of that and might cancel the order from amazon right now...

Thanks for the heads up.
post #4 of 18 Old 08-10-2011, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There is suppose be an update for the unit to cover more equipment.

That is what I have gotten from a few people on the Android Tablet forums.

So far the biggest compliant is that its a tad laggy and not covering enough equipment.

I need to get to a costco to tinker with one.

next option is the Touchsquid but they are still in alpha with a beta release soon.

-R
post #5 of 18 Old 08-11-2011, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobAGD View Post

There is suppose be an update for the unit to cover more equipment.

That is what I have gotten from a few people on the Android Tablet forums.

So far the biggest compliant is that its a tad laggy and not covering enough equipment.

I need to get to a costco to tinker with one.

next option is the Touchsquid but they are still in alpha with a beta release soon.

-R

I called Vizio and yes they've added a few more devices to the DB. HOWEVER, there is NO PLAN to enhance the interface. For instance, no 30 second skip button on the DriecTV devices, no direct access to inputs on the TV devices (even Vizio), no surround mode control on the Receiver devices, and the list goes on. It's like the frustration you'd have if you bought a $10 universal remote with 6 buttons, you could turn things on/off and control the volume but everything else would require the original remote or a trip to the device control panel

I've been told this is a 3rd party app that Vizio passes through. The fact they don't own it coupled with their lack of updates in general gives me little hope. This expensive toy is going back to Sams. Too bad, another great idea with poor execution.
post #6 of 18 Old 08-11-2011, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I ended up refusing my order on the Vizio tablet, without the option of adding devices or learning codes it is pretty much pointless.

It is looking like none of the tablet options are worth pursuing.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-11-2011, 08:53 AM

I bought this tablet from Amazon and spent some time with it last night.

The remote app definitely needs work and will crash if you try to add a device that it doesn't recognize. I have a Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K, and had no luck getting it controlled by the Vizio app.

That said, this is still a 1.0 device and app and I'm willing to give Vizio some time to work out the issues.

I have a feeling this app actually knows very few IR codes and is just re-sending the same universal remote POWER ON, OFF, MUTE, etc. over and over. Selecting your device name from the list may just be designed to make the user feel good and match your actual A/V setup.

On the other hand, I had a lot of success playing 1080p video out to my HDTV over HDMI using this tablet. I haven't seen a video skip or stutter once. I used mVideoPlayer.
post #8 of 18 Old 08-21-2011, 02:00 AM

How do you get the updated devices added to the database? Looks like none of the latest Denon or Marantz gear is in version 1.0 - definitely not the Marantz AV7005. Hopefully it will mature in future versions. Right now it definitely won't replace my Logitech 1100.

I'd be willing to pay for a Pro version if you could customize things and create macros, etc.
post #9 of 18 Old 08-22-2011, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Supposedly it's "auto-magic" if you connect to WiFi and launch. At least that's what the Vizio guy told me. I wouldn't hold my breath on updates. I own a lot of Visio products and I like them. HOWEVER, if it doesn't do something out of the box, odds are it never will. Upgrades/Updates aren't their market if ya know what I mean!!!!
post #10 of 18 Old 08-27-2011, 05:04 AM

I bought this last night at Costco, sort of on a whim. I got caught up in the $99 HP hunt and suddenly found myself wanting a tablet; an item I never saw a need for before.

My main use is as a portable video player for my toddler (in leiu of a portable DVD player). But color me disappointed with the lack of support. I was stunned to see no Yahoo! Mail, no Facebook, no Netflix. I thought the remote feature would be HUGE but it's pretty lacking. It does work with my Onkyo 608 though. I'm going to work with it some more to get it working TWC and my HTPC. The lack of macros really hurts. I hate the idea of turning on devices one at a time. Silly, really.

Does anyone know of a forum that offers a lot of support for this device? I'm new to Android and tablets, but was hoping to find something specific to this tablet as it currently appears in need of much support.

thx
post #11 of 18 Old 08-28-2011, 06:27 PM

If you find a site, keep us posted. I haven't seen anyplace with a lot of support for this tablet yet but it is pretty new. Everything I've installed on it from the Android Marketplace has worked so far. The size makes it a great eReader - I'm using the free Kindle app. I just need an update to the Remote app.

I purchased mine directly from Vizio with their leather cover and 16gb card bundle. The cover is very nice and I highly recommend it. Not sure if Costco carries it.
post #12 of 18 Old 08-29-2011, 05:36 AM

Only forum I've found for support so far is http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/vizio-tablets/ but it's lacking right now as well. I've emailed Vizio asking for help with some of these apps.

Have you been able to get any of the apps I've listed working (Netflix, Yahoo! Mail, Facebook, HBO-go)? I got HBO-go to download but it Force Close each time I try to log in. The other apps won't even download.
post #13 of 18 Old 09-01-2011, 11:06 PM

I finally got an update tonight to V.I.A. Plus 1.2 that allegedly has an updated database for the Remote Control app. The update also included some enhancements like smoother scrolling. Unfortunately for me I don't see the Marantz AV7005 in the new database. Oddly, the Remote Control app version still shows 1.0 in Manage Applications. It would be nice to see the database version info if they don't sync it with the app version.
post #14 of 18 Old 11-05-2011, 06:54 PM

I would suggest using gmote for controlling your Media Center PC. VLC Remote also works well but doesn't allow you to use it as a touch pad for the PC like gmote does.

Also if you use Boxee or XBMC there are great apps that control those programs as well.

post #15 of 18 Old 11-06-2011, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Well, vtab1008 is up to VIA 1.4 and the database is huge.
I have it and it does the job.
The price is right too.
Now, if someone would develop really good third-party Remote Control app, that would be the Remote of the Year.
I don't want to buy any itach devices, don't want any emitters etc. Tired of the electronic stuff in the house. Too much.
I want the IR remote control, pure and simple, on the 8" inexpensive tablet, that's all.

Good time to buy computers and computer parts: NEVER
post #16 of 18 Old 11-06-2011, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves360 View Post

I would suggest using gmote for controlling your Media Center PC. VLC Remote also works well but doesn't allow you to use it as a touch pad for the PC like gmote does.

Also if you use Boxee or XBMC there are great apps that control those programs as well.

Reeves360.

Thanks for the excellent advice on gmote. In 5 minutes I fv able to control my video and music files on the PC from my Vizio tablet.

Now, let's do XBMC stuff.

post #17 of 18 Old 11-06-2011, 10:10 PM

Liked: 11
Well TouchSquid I think will have their app for other android devices. https://market.android.com/details?i...VjaC5TcXVpZCJd

Only issue I would see if the TouchSquid device has a IR receiver so it can learn IR codes

I will have to use a iTach device because of number of same devices, not much I can do with 5 DVD changers and only 3 code sets.

-R
post #18 of 18 Old 11-07-2011, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Touchsquid remote app will NOT work with your Vizio infrared blaster.
Too bad.
I was really hoping to have the superior remote app for Vizio. Oh well. Hopefully somebody else will develop one.

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page