Roomie Remote - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1454 Old 02-19-2012, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's very easy to add a URL to roomie to launch the official remote app. Create a button to open an url in safari and enter remote://

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

Can Roomie Remote control my itunes audio server?

I have a fairly simple HT which has a Blu Ray player, AVR, and Projector.

I also use my phone to open itunes "remote" program and listen to all my CDs from a hard drive on a macbook on the network. (This macbook is attached to the AVR via Optical.)

If I can't integrate the itunes server with Roomie then I'll have to go with one of the other options which is much harder to learn.

It's not a matter of training the IR or something either. The Itunes Remote program shows me cover art and stuff.

I don't see any mention of Roomie being compatable with Apple Itunes servers.

-Brian

Edit - I see on the roomie facebook page this is a "major" feature they are "considering" focusing on in the future so ... no, it won't work at least yet. Grrrrr....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1454 Old 02-20-2012, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Interesting, how do you get "back"?

I don't have an iPad yet so I use my iPhone. If I'm willing to use the Denon app AND iTunes remote app AND Sony's Media Remote then I can do stuff. I was interested in Roomie so that I would have all that functionality without juggling several "free" apps.

Edit- I have seen some nicely made demos using other software (irule and demopad) and even with those you still just link to Apple's remote program and then close and re-open the remote software to get back. When these programs integrate a function like Apple's (Free) Remote app that will be a great step forward. (At least for anyone that needs Apple's Remote app.)
post #273 of 1454 Old 02-20-2012, 12:11 PM

Thanks guys. Might be a noobie question but how do I cut and paste the codes into the roomie app? Onset up. Little help please.

Stagecoach Theater is DONE!
post #274 of 1454 Old 02-20-2012, 01:30 PM
DGF

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by donatelloa View Post

Thanks guys. Might be a noobie question but how do I cut and paste the codes into the roomie app? Onset up. Little help please.

I'm not sure how much guidance you need, but a good starting point is the Roomie website's FAQ section - if you expand the "Is it possible to add support for a specific IR, direct IP or serial device?" line, it will give you an overview of what's required. Download the "Roomie Device Development Kit" that's mentioned there - one of the files is a 'ReadMe' that gives more detail on the process. [I don't think that you need the actual 'Kit' to do what you want, but the pdf contains some useful info]

I used "pList Editor for windows" (freeware) to open up the existing “RoomieCodes.plist” file and created a new device entry by copying, then modifying one of my existing devices using the new IR codes. I had no prior experience with editing XML, but it was pretty easy to do.

You'll need to use either iTunes File Sharing or a DropBox account (I use DropBox - really quick/easy to set up and use) - to transfer the newly modified pList file. Then you restore the file onto your iTouch/iPad.

That's about it - as implied, I'm not an expert in this, but I have managed to use the Roomie process to achieve what I needed. If you need further clarification or I confused you even more than when you started, just shout, I'm sure either myself or someone else can help you out.

Dave
post #275 of 1454 Old 02-20-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF View Post

I used "pList Editor for windows" (freeware) to open up the existing RoomieCodes.plist file and created a new device entry by copying, then modifying one of my existing devices using the new IR codes. I had no prior experience with editing XML, but it was pretty easy to do.

I have a mac --any thoughts. on program for OSX?

post #276 of 1454 Old 02-20-2012, 06:51 PM
DGF

Quote:

Okay - now you're pushing your luck!

I haven't any insightful suggestions on the OSX editor, but I do know that there are several competent free variants around (including one from Apple?) - it really doesn't need to be anything fancy, the editing capabilities required for the Roomie tasks are pretty Mickey-Mouse.

Just search on "plist editor osx free" - there's a bunch
post #277 of 1454 Old 02-20-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:

I use xCode from Apple to edit plist files
post #278 of 1454 Old 02-21-2012, 02:42 PM

I just installed Roomie Remote over the weekend and it appears to be pretty powerful. I have ordered a couple of Itach adapters to control some IR only items and my Oppo Bluray player via serial.

It found my Integra DCH80.3 without any problems along with my DirecTV receiver and my WD TV Live box. The only problem I have is in finding Plex which is running on my Mac Mini. I have little or no idea how to diagnose the problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
~Bob Marley~
post #279 of 1454 Old 02-22-2012, 01:58 PM

I am starting to get this so bear with me! The only thing i don't get yet is where do I find the " roomiecodes.plists?" that i assume will have the code that i will open up in the plist editor to copy paste, change then add back in via dropbox. the only 3 files i have in my dropbox folder are roomie.plist, roomier emote.plist, and roomiechannel.plist. what am i missing. please be nice!

post #280 of 1454 Old 02-22-2012, 03:01 PM
DGF

Quote:

I am starting to get this so bear with me! The only thing i don't get yet is where do I find the " roomiecodes.plists?" that i assume will have the code that i will open up in the plist editor to copy paste, change then add back in via dropbox. the only 3 files i have in my dropbox folder are roomie.plist, roomier emote.plist, and roomiechannel.plist. what am i missing. please be nice!

Good question - it doesn't exist by default, but there is a small RoomieCodes.plist sample file that came in the FAQ section's Roomie Device Development Kit download [the plist file is in the Kit's "Roomie Custom Commands/infrared" folder] It relates to an XBox, but it's the template that I used to get started.

Remember to change the "method" string to reflect how you're connecting the device [as well as "type", "brand", "cat", etc. - these aren't critical, but you get more intuitive and consistent menu positioning and labels if you make the appropriate edits] - this is somewhat documented in the DD Kit's readme file.

Hopefully that helps - if not, I can shoot you over my own plist file to use as a starting point.

Dave
post #281 of 1454 Old 02-22-2012, 10:17 PM

Just a quick question. I tried to read through most of the posts before asking and didn't find what I was looking for. I noticed on the Roomie web site that they have a list of supported devices. My exact model number for my TV is not on there because I purchased it at Costco (Sharp 733u) and they frequently offer slightly different products. There are supported TV's (Sharp 732u, 734u, 735u) that are in the same line as the one I own. My question is if Roomie will work just fine with not the exact model number or will I loose some features? I did notice that some people used similar but different branded AVR models and things are working just fine.

I'm also running into the same problem with my blu ray (sony s360) not being on that list of supported devices.

Any help would be much appreciated as I would love to enter into the Roomie family at some point. Thanks.
post #282 of 1454 Old 02-23-2012, 05:14 AM

You should have no problems as the model number differences are usually so they do not have to price match.
post #283 of 1454 Old 02-23-2012, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

I have multiple wifiItachs for Roomie and it looks like I need to replace my wireless router as my Ipad is dropping signal frequently. Will I need to reprogram all of the itachs with a new router or will they just show up in Roomie? Thanks
post #284 of 1454 Old 02-23-2012, 01:54 PM

We have the URC Lighting control dimmer in our Theater. It is a RF Dimmer switch.

Any way my iPad can control this through Roomie?

Thanks for your help.
J

Kind regards
Johan
post #285 of 1454 Old 02-23-2012, 02:08 PM

I see that Roomie supports Lutron's RadioRA2 system. Does this mean that I can simply install RA2 wall switches to be controlled by Roomie without having to buy other hardware? At present my HT has three sets of lights with X10 wall switches. These can be controlled to a degree in Roomie by selecting each one by itself before dimming it to the desired level. If there's a way to set up scene lighting triggered by a single botton push, I haven't heard about it. I'm not sure I want to spend over $300 on the Lutron gear just to have clever and speedy control over the HT lights.

Bill Bunker
post #286 of 1454 Old 02-23-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khiser View Post

You should have no problems as the model number differences are usually so they do not have to price match.

I figured as much but the TVs do have subtle differences. I suppose as long as the majority of the remote functionality still works I'll be fine.

The other question I have is how do I choose which Global Cache device to buy? I have all of my devices hardwired to my network. Which would be best? What makes one better than the next?
post #287 of 1454 Old 02-23-2012, 09:33 PM

For those of you interested in serial control of Epson 3010/5010/6010 projectors, the serial command set is now fully documented by Epson here:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...odoid=63091961

I also sent this notice to Roomie in case they want to expand on their support for it.
post #288 of 1454 Old 02-24-2012, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone know if it's possible to use Roomie over a 3G network, so that I could use it to control my devices from anywhere without having to be in range of my Wi-Fi network? If this is possible, how do I do it?

TIA -

Thanks,

Scott
post #289 of 1454 Old 02-24-2012, 10:59 AM

I'm not at home today, and can't try this out, but I now believe I can create scene lighting (of a sort) using the existing X10 wall switches. Roomie supports X10 commands and the resulting IR is converted to powerline signals by X10's 543 device. An example would be a set of macro commands to bring lights to full brightness: send house code/send device code of front lights/send code to brighten (transmit this one repeatedly); do the same string for the device code for another light.

Similar sequence to dim the scene for movie watching.

This will depend on the lights responding to every command, which is questionable based on my experience with my Pronto. I'll be back home tomorrow and give this a try. By then I will have the correct Global Cache cable to send IR codes from the WF2IR device to my Xantech IR distributin block.

Roomie looks more appealing as I learn my way around it.

Bill Bunker
post #290 of 1454 Old 02-24-2012, 01:09 PM

Found this on the roomie support website as compatible with Serial:

Epson Serial Enabled Models Null Modem Cable
Updated 1/18/12

So should the Epson 3010/5010/6010 not work already? or Do some buttons only work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentfox View Post

For those of you interested in serial control of Epson 3010/5010/6010 projectors, the serial command set is now fully documented by Epson here:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...odoid=63091961

I also sent this notice to Roomie in case they want to expand on their support for it.

post #291 of 1454 Old 02-24-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarr2k View Post

So should the Epson 3010/5010/6010 not work already? or Do some buttons only work?

Support for Epson PJ via serial is VERY basic.

I was one of the first Roomie users teasing out functionality for it. They sent me a "here try this" and I debugged it and fed it back to Roomie. Really at that point my priority was working volume & power control and everything else was incidental. Recently had to recheck my research on the KEY commands, when it was apparent the ENTER button was mapped incorrectly. the Roomie folks contacted me to doublecheck on this and I found the problem and fed the correction back to them.

I don't think too many people use Roomie at this point with serial control of Epson projectors so if you want all features available it's still going to be "roll your own" situation.

If I get a few days free I may gen up a more featureful config and email it to Roomie.
post #292 of 1454 Old 02-24-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:

Support for Epson PJ via serial is VERY basic.

I was one of the first Roomie users teasing out functionality for it. They sent me a "here try this" and I debugged it and fed it back to Roomie. Really at that point my priority was working volume & power control and everything else was incidental. Recently had to recheck my research on the KEY commands, when it was apparent the ENTER button was mapped incorrectly. the Roomie folks contacted me to doublecheck on this and I found the problem and fed the correction back to them.

I don't think too many people use Roomie at this point with serial control of Epson projectors so if you want all features available it's still going to be "roll your own" situation.

If I get a few days free I may gen up a more featureful config and email it to Roomie.

Thanks, vincentfox. Too bad about the serial im hoping to use it with my 5010 soon. How long does it take for roomie to push your results back out to the customers?
post #293 of 1454 Old 02-25-2012, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarr2k View Post

Thanks, vincentfox. Too bad about the serial im hoping to use it with my 5010 soon. How long does it take for roomie to push your results back out to the customers?

Eh don't mistake me for a developer just a sporadically interested and sometimes pushy fellow customer. What they have now is functional enough for probably 90% of people. It's not good enough for ME but might be for you.

Maybe Roomie devs will take the link to Excel sheet I sent and run with it. Were one of us customers to send something in, from past experience seems like they issue a library update every week or two so improvements don't take long at all.

I had opened a ticket with Epson to get full documentation a while back. They sent me updates every few weeks that they were still pushing for Engineering to release this and notified me once it became available. Epson support is very good compared to industry norms. Ditto Roomie ;-)
post #294 of 1454 Old 02-26-2012, 05:38 PM

Does anyone know if Roomie will eventually branch out to the Android platform or will they stick strictly with iOS? I don't currently have any sort of pad but have been thinking this year will be the year. I like the pricing on Android stuff much better along with the ability to expand memory. But, If Roomie will only ever run on iOS that might be the deal breaker for my Android fire.
post #295 of 1454 Old 02-26-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL GUER0 View Post

Does anyone know if Roomie will eventually branch out to the Android platform or will they stick strictly with iOS?

"We may consider it if the market landscape changes, but we don’t anticipate doing so. At this time, we feel our efforts are better focused on iOS."

From the Roomie FAQ:

http://www.roomieremote.com/faq/

As a sysadmin for Solaris & Linux in my day job, I'm intellectually apalled at iOS vs Android.

As a plain old user laying on the couch i LOVE my iPad and wouldn't switch.

YMMV.
post #296 of 1454 Old 02-27-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:

"We may consider it if the market landscape changes, but we don't anticipate doing so. At this time, we feel our efforts are better focused on iOS."

From the Roomie FAQ:

http://www.roomieremote.com/faq/

As a sysadmin for Solaris & Linux in my day job, I'm intellectually apalled at iOS vs Android.

As a plain old user laying on the couch i LOVE my iPad and wouldn't switch.

YMMV.

Thanks for the quick response. I thought I had read the FAQ.....apparently not. I'm not opposed to an ipad, I just think you can get more value out of an Android. Like a $200 kindle fire.........would be nice with the Roomie app.
post #297 of 1454 Old 02-27-2012, 05:58 PM

Also size A 7" device is a much more ideal size to use as a remote. I am very happy with the Roomie on the iPad, but am giving iRule a shot just because I want to use all my android devices Acer iconia 500, kindle Fire, Archos 70, My Favorite: Samsung Galaxy Nexus!

Jim
post #298 of 1454 Old 02-27-2012, 07:21 PM

Very new to this app. Came across it thru an add on web page. My equipment is as follows. Direct tv hr-34, onkyo sr605, lg bd 590 pioneer pdp 4280. Simple setup. Can I just use the app from the app store or do I need something else. I am using an iPad 2. I think all my equipment is IR. now using harmony one which works fine but like all the details this app brings. Any help appreciated
post #299 of 1454 Old 02-28-2012, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

The Ipad doesn't have an IR emitter so roomie use Itach devices. You will find all this info on their page. With your setup this program should work well.
post #300 of 1454 Old 02-28-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaugustu View Post

Also size A 7" device is a much more ideal size to use as a remote. I am very happy with the Roomie on the iPad, but am giving iRule a shot just because I want to use all my android devices Acer iconia 500, kindle Fire, Archos 70, My Favorite: Samsung Galaxy Nexus!

Jim

Not sure why but iRule seams much more complicated than Roomie. I see the benefit and freedom that iRule has but there's something to say about simplicity and readiness. Just my 2 cents.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Yamaha Rx V2065 Receiver , Tivo , Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver
Gear in this thread