post #421 of 1475 Old 04-30-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Hey,

Me again... double post I guess.

I'm really liking Roomie. Can't believe I waited so very long to try it.

I was a bit confused by all the pricing and what I was going to need and how to set it up.

Seems like I'll be able to just go with the initial app purchase. I only have 3 devices in my system: Blu Ray player (ip control), AVR (ip control) and projector. I can turn on the projector with HDMI control and I believe I'll be able to turn it off with a power management surge protector. (Not sure about that yet though....)

-Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 1475 Old 04-30-2012, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a way to edit an existing virtual remote? What if you want to add or remove a button? There are items for my Pioneer VSX-1021 that I will never use and I would like to clean up the interface. I don't want to delete the remote and start over since that would appear to make me recreate all of my activities.

Thanks,
Chris

My setup:
Pioneer VSX-1021
AppleTV
Roku
DirectTV
Phillips TV (IR)
Basic Phillips DVD player (IR)
iPad 3
iPhone 4
post #423 of 1475 Old 04-30-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

Hi,

I finally bought into Roomie Remote. I think I want to try to get a dedicated ios device to use as the remote and I wanted to ask which people like better the ipad or ipod touch?

Seems the graphics are sweet on my own ipad (3) but it's big for a remote.

I guess I can set it up on my phone and compare. (I don't think I can set it up for both because of the way my blu ray player ties to a single ios device as a controller.)

Eventually, I want a serial device for my projector. (I'll have to add the support for it or work with Roomie ... maybe they got started. I only want on/off.) I hope to avoid IR completely.

-Brian

IPad all the way. Screen too small on touch and phone. Why no ir? Global cache makes it work like a dream. We have 3 different iOS devices running roomie.
post #424 of 1475 Old 05-01-2012, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi, thanks for the reply. I did get it working on both though I've only used the iPad so far.

I guess I was trying to avoid ir because I've had problems with commands not working but I've never had the itach and they may work 100%.

I am considering ir now. it would only be for the projector and roomie already supports my pj with ir.

-Brian
post #425 of 1475 Old 05-01-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:

Hi, thanks for the reply. I did get it working on both though I've only used the iPad so far.

I guess I was trying to avoid ir because I've had problems with commands not working but I've never had the itach and they may work 100%.

I am considering ir now. it would only be for the projector and roomie already supports my pj with ir.

-Brian

Can't go wrong with the itach units, roomie is made to work with them, get whatever one works for you. I run 2 ip2ir.
post #426 of 1475 Old 05-02-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBusiness View Post

IPad all the way. Screen too small on touch and phone. Why no ir? Global cache makes it work like a dream. We have 3 different iOS devices running roomie.

I prototyped on the iPad then planned to switch to an iPod Touch - but everyone liked the iPad so much - for guide space or for 2-screen browsing - that we kept it.
post #427 of 1475 Old 05-02-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckole View Post

Is there a way to edit an existing virtual remote? What if you want to add or remove a button? There are items for my Pioneer VSX-1021 that I will never use and I would like to clean up the interface. I don't want to delete the remote and start over since that would appear to make me recreate all of my activities.

I've modified virtual remote designs that are assigned to room activities. Select "edit" then the activity that you want to edit. Then select "remote design" and take it from there. Hope that's what you're looking for.
post #428 of 1475 Old 05-03-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootowls View Post

I've modified virtual remote designs that are assigned to room activities. Select "edit" then the activity that you want to edit. Then select "remote design" and take it from there. Hope that's what you're looking for.

Yeah figured that portion out and I guess since you mostly use activities I am covered. I was talking about the remotes that are listed on the bottom left. Thanks though. Still love the app. I think $20 to get whole house and another $10 for IR is a bit steep though.
post #429 of 1475 Old 05-03-2012, 09:10 PM
DGF

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

......Still love the app. I think $20 to get whole house and another $10 for IR is a bit steep though.

Not sure what your comparison point is, but I actually think that (excluding hardware) Roomie + add-ons is a steal. I've spent 10x the amount I have invested in this app on other solutions and not achieved anywhere near as much.

[I don't mean to be contentious - just offering an additional data point]
post #430 of 1475 Old 05-04-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF View Post

Not sure what your comparison point is, but I actually think that (excluding hardware) Roomie + add-ons is a steal. I've spent 10x the amount I have invested in this app on other solutions and not achieved anywhere near as much.

I don't have the expectation that every app should be .$0.99 but in my set up it will cost me another $20.00 to give me a built in Roku remote. I don't have multiple rooms or IP based devices greater than my Directv box, Pioneer receiver and Roku. I don't think there is additional programming effort, or at least not to a great degree, to give you unlimited rooms or devices. IR is a different story and the $9.95 add on is reasonable. Just because plenty of others are way more expensive doesn't mean this is a bargain. An investment of around $150.00 to get IR and unlimited devices and rooms is not cheap. It is the best I have seen so far. I just think to unlock the IP stuff it shouldn't be ore than another $9.95. Have a light version with one device so you can get a feel for the app and the charge $20.00 for unlimited IP only. I can see where it is a bargain if you have lots of IP based devices.
post #431 of 1475 Old 05-04-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah,

So many great apps cost ($1). I bought Madden II for $1, try that on a non iOS game console. Roomie lures ya with the $9.99 then you start adding up all the extra costs and it's a lot more.

As a result, I hesitated for a long time. When I got an iPad for a gift it was time to give in. I can almost get by with just the app purchase. My bdp and avr are ip and hdmi control turns on the projector. The snag is, hdmi control doesn't turn off the projector. Grrrr.

No matter, I honestly love Roomie and can't wait to add to it. I tried building a template for Demopad but I don't need or want that type of project (time sink).

-Brian
post #432 of 1475 Old 05-04-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:

An investment of around $150.00 to get IR and unlimited devices and rooms is not cheap. It is the best I have seen so far. I just think to unlock the IP stuff it shouldn't be ore than another $9.95. Have a light version with one device so you can get a feel for the app and the charge $20.00 for unlimited IP only. I can see where it is a bargain if you have lots of IP based devices.

Hmmm have you price-shopped user customizable IR remotes? Taking just about the Roomie software and upgrades ... It prices out in the ballpark of an basic/entry level learning hardware remote with no and/or a very tiny screen.

To put it another way... Given what you spent on TV and hardware this doesn't even register a blip... It's priced out the same as retail-priced top shelf bluray movie or two movies if you catch em on sale.

Now it does add up when you add in things like iTach hardware ... However even then, it's in the same ballpark as an xantech entry level ir receiver / xmitter kit and with that it still requires a cable run and it isn't Ethernet accessible!

the lion share of .99 cent apps are for kiddy games almost all of which pretty much scream out for you to do in app purchases for .... Insert some vurtual gunk ... That actually makes the game somewhat enjoyable. Specialty apps ... The ones of value anyway are priced in the 10 - 50 range and even more for super specialized apps. The smaller the potential market the higher the price needs to be unless you want to rely on less than polished open source efforts.

In other words if something is free... That's usually what it's worth! That being said, notable exceptions do exist and yes XBMC, Handbrake, VLC and a bunch of others are the proof.
post #433 of 1475 Old 05-05-2012, 09:48 PM

Roomie is not cheap (mine was $130 for the app, Infrared Control Pack, Home Theater Pack and an iTach Ethernet to Infrared Adapter).
Also, Roomie device support is limited e.g., I had to import discrete commands for my Samsung TV and learn commands for my JVC Blueray player (both of them only 4 years old)

However, all this being said:
1. The result (iPad remote) is amazing
2. The ease of setting it up is fantastic (and this includes creating 2 devices with plist Editor). I have a URC MX-700 and programming it is painful. Since I don't change equipment every month, I have to re-familiarize myself every time with all the fine points. Programming Roomie is a breeze and it is fun to do.
post #434 of 1475 Old 05-06-2012, 08:51 PM

I would say $130 is cheap based on what something that could do anything similar would cost. I have a Harmony 900 RF and it cost me $279 when I bought it. (I am selling it in the classifieds now for $175) While I miss the hard buttons what I paid for it vs. what I have paid for Roomie I can not complain.
post #435 of 1475 Old 05-07-2012, 08:23 AM

Anyone incorporated Insteon devices into the Roomie Remote? I haven't purchased any Insteon items yet but I am curious if anyone has had good success with Roomie integration. I don't need to control my entire house. 4-5 devices would be plenty for me with a possible addition of the grate door monitor.

Thanks,
Chris
post #436 of 1475 Old 05-07-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:

[I don't mean to be contentious - just offering an additional data point]

I couldn't agree more. Roomie is a steal at ten times the price considering what it gives you. The OP should try developing a touch screen interface with two way IP control in anything else and see what it costs in hardware, software and time.

I own Charmed Quark Controller, Elve, Homeseer and Main Lobby. While these programs are far more flexible than Roomie I defy anyone to produce a touch screen that looks as good and operates as well as Roomie in about 30 minutes. The "return on investment" for Roomie is phenomenal.
post #437 of 1475 Old 05-07-2012, 10:48 AM
DGF

Quote:

Anyone incorporated Insteon devices into the Roomie Remote? I haven't purchased any Insteon items yet but I am curious if anyone has had good success with Roomie integration. I don't need to control my entire house. 4-5 devices would be plenty for me with a possible addition of the grate door monitor.

Thanks,
Chris

Try the "Search this Thread" button - it'll show you all mentions relating to Insteon.

As an example, Moreilly's post (#208) gives a good endorsement of using Roomie + Insteon (with model numbers).
post #438 of 1475 Old 05-07-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Have not bought any itech yet.

I wonder if the wifi models work well. (I'm out of ports on my router. )
post #439 of 1475 Old 05-07-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:

Have not bought any itech yet.

I wonder if the wifi models work well. (I'm out of ports on my router. )

Have heard they work well, but know hard wired is preferred. The money saved on wired units can go towards a gigabit ethernet hub. My netgear 8 port works well with iTach, but am also running low on space.
post #440 of 1475 Old 05-07-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:

Try the "Search this Thread" button - it'll show you all mentions relating to Insteon.

As an example, Moreilly's post (#208) gives a good endorsement of using Roomie + Insteon (with model numbers).

Search on the iPad app stinks. Thanks.

What I don't see is using the $99 controller. It may not matter if Roomie can see the individual outlets and switches.

http://www.smarthome.com/2412N/Smart...troller/p.aspx
post #441 of 1475 Old 05-08-2012, 08:13 AM

iPad 1 for $249 today only at RedTag/uBid - http://www.redtag.com/
post #442 of 1475 Old 05-08-2012, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
New Features in 1.5.0:
iTunes Control: Just turn on "Allow iTunes Audio Control" in iTunes to pair iTunes with Roomie for full auto-discovery and control of iTunes including all the normal play functionality, position scrubbing, volume, and more. (Beta Note: This feature may be a separate in-app purchase at release time, but is fully enabled for beta.)
TiVo Premiere Integration: Significant new integration for TiVo has been added including progress displays for live and recorded shows, status for tuners, the ability to scrub to exact positions in recorded content, and much more! This new control method is compatible with US Premiere models. The previous control method is used for all other TiVo models.
Receiver Music Feedback: Feedback for many sources such as iPods, Pandora, Rhapsody, HD Radio, and more are now displayed with song and other feedback integrated into the Virtual Remote for most recent Yamaha, Denon, and Pioneer receivers.
Receiver Dynamic Remotes: Virtual Remotes now adjust commands automatically based on input. Commands only available in a particular input such as an iPod Play command are automatically upgraded to the main play button when the input is set to iPod.
(Beta Note: The above 2 features currently work for Yamaha 2010+, all Pioneer and Denon receivers (feedback quantity decreases the further back you go) and is being adapted for Onkyo.)
Wake-on-LAN: Compatible devices such as Mac desktops, some Panasonic 2012 TVs, and many others can now be turned on using special Wake-on-LAN signals in any command sequence.

New Devices:
See the Roomie website for supported models.

Improvements:
Guide Scrolling: Vertical speed has been significantly increased. The guide can also now be smoothly scrolled side to side across different dayparts and days.
Guide Index: New user interface for guide indexing allows faster movement among channels.
Guide Opening: New Guide settings allow explicit specification per-Activity whether the Guide should be opened with the Activity.
Yamaha Pre-2008 Explicit Volume: Older Yamaha receivers can now explicitly set volume via the slider.
Pioneer Keyboard Support: Keyboard is now provided for Pioneer receivers.

Fixes:
Top to bottom review of field issues has significantly reduced the chance of errors in this version.
Fixed deletion of devices when using input switching that could incorrectly assign some commands to the wrong device.
Fixed elusive issue that would cause device information to be out of date for connections leading to several different issues that were all hard to track down.
Optimizations to Virtual Remote opening other areas resulting in generally faster operations.
Removed iOS 4 support per prior announcement at 1.4 release. Roomie now requires iOS 5.

Many additional fixes and improvements. For detailed release notes and compatibility information, please see the Roomie website.

Headless Petie
post #443 of 1475 Old 05-08-2012, 06:36 PM
DGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbn008 View Post

new features in 1.5.0:............

eta?
post #444 of 1475 Old 05-09-2012, 02:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBusiness View Post

iPad 1 for $249 today only at RedTag/uBid - http://www.redtag.com/

The link didn't work but thanks for the heads up. I think an ipad1 would be perfect for my roomie.

Edit the link does work.
post #445 of 1475 Old 05-09-2012, 03:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I want the beta. I need the iTunes capability. Hope it move to release soon.
post #446 of 1475 Old 05-09-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:

Search on the iPad app stinks. Thanks.

What I don't see is using the $99 controller. It may not matter if Roomie can see the individual outlets and switches.

http://www.smarthome.com/2412N/Smart...troller/p.aspx

I use the 2412N with Roomie just fine, will control both Scene and individual lights.
post #447 of 1475 Old 05-09-2012, 01:22 PM

Liked: 11
Even in Canada I am able to get Pandora service as I log in through an US based server. I can get my computers and I-things to stream but I am unable to get my Canadian Denon 1912 to connect. It is as if Pandora has been disabled in the Denon software. Is there a fix for this - download firmware for USA? Want to test the feedback etc on Roomie Beta
post #448 of 1475 Old 05-10-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgmobile View Post

Even in Canada I am able to get Pandora service as I log in through an US based server. I can get my computers and I-things to stream but I am unable to get my Canadian Denon 1912 to connect. It is as if Pandora has been disabled in the Denon software. Is there a fix for this - download firmware for USA? Want to test the feedback etc on Roomie Beta

Try posting in one of the Denon threads in the Audio forum.
post #449 of 1475 Old 05-16-2012, 09:19 PM

Just starting out with the Roomie remote and haven't been able to find the answers to the following two questions (either here on AVSForum or on the web):

Is it possible to get some simple feedback from a Denon AVR-5308 using the IP control? I realize the 5308 doesn't have a great deal of feedback built in, but I'd love to be able to see the volume setting and/or input while using the remote to control the Denon from another room (using Zone 2 or Zone 3).

When using the Roomie remote to control Windows Media Center, is it possible to get a display of your music collection on you iPad (or iPhone)? In other words, can I select music to play from another room or without switching on the display? I can do that with my Comcast channels, but would love to be able to do that with my music collection.

Thanks in advance for any leads you may have.

K.M.
post #450 of 1475 Old 05-17-2012, 08:42 AM

I like the idea/execution of the Roomie (and TouchSquid) remote apps, but not sure if I would like the "pad" element (eyes off screen, 2 hand operation), wondering if this is an issue for any users (or if considered a hassle, the benefits outweigh; or with use you get used to it). I understand posters here may be a self selecting group (chose the Roomie/touchscreen as they already had used/liked something similar), and that there may well be users of more conventional remotes that wouldn't consider (or, if tried didn't like) using an ipad as remote. Thanks in advance for any opinions!
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Yamaha Rx V2065 Receiver , Tivo , Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V2065 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page