Roomie Remote - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1472 Old 10-01-2012, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For what its worth, I have 16' stereo extensions on mine, and it works fine. Check out monoprice.com, the cost is low for the cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1472 Old 10-02-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWojcik View Post

Length limits on the ip2ir blaster cable?
Anyone know how long this cable can be and still function properly? My equipment location will need a 25 foot run from the box. Did searches on both roomie and global cache pages without luck. Hoping someone here already tried this

yay google...and me!
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1196940/max-length-of-ir-blaster
post #543 of 1472 Old 10-03-2012, 09:54 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWojcik View Post

Length limits on the ip2ir blaster cable?
Anyone know how long this cable can be and still function properly? My equipment location will need a 25 foot run from the box. Did searches on both roomie and global cache pages without luck. Hoping someone here already tried this

I have my Epson 8700UB on the end of a 30ft ip2ir blaster cable.

Never misses a beat. (button press)
post #544 of 1472 Old 10-04-2012, 11:45 AM

I am just starting to configure the first of three rooms I hope to control with Roomie Remote.

Denon AVR-4311 (IP), Pioneer Elite Pro-141FD (Serial), Motorola DCX3400 (IR), Oppo (Serial), iTunes and/or AirPlay. I will also need to add Zone two for whole house in-wall music playback.

My first challenge is getting the Pro-141FD to communicate.

Pioneer Elite Pro-150FD, Elite Pro-141FD Straight Through Cable

Any suggestions? Suggested Baud rate or other menus within the 141FD menu I need to access? I have the baud rate set to 9600 on the iTach and 141FD for now. I have IP disabled and HDMI control disabled.

The Pioneer Elite Pro-141FD also supports IP control. Any reason Roomie does not support it? Could they but it has not been a priority to support it?

Thank you.
post #545 of 1472 Old 10-04-2012, 01:10 PM
LVS
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Roomie's compatibility for IP only lists the PRO-60X5FD and PRO-70X5FD. They also list that it has to be added manually on IP Port 10002. You might try just for grins adding it manually via the IP address it has obtained with this port #. Chances are it won't work but it only a couple minutes to try it.

As far as serially they state they support all Elite Pro series via Null Modem Cable but don't list any serial port configuration info. You call always try 9600-N-8-1 with no flow control and with hardware flow control.
post #546 of 1472 Old 10-04-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVS View Post

Roomie's compatibility for IP only lists the PRO-60X5FD and PRO-70X5FD. They also list that it has to be added manually on IP Port 10002. You might try just for grins adding it manually via the IP address it has obtained with this port #. Chances are it won't work but it only a couple minutes to try it.
As far as serially they state they support all Elite Pro series via Null Modem Cable but don't list any serial port configuration info. You call always try 9600-N-8-1 with no flow control and with hardware flow control.

LVS, first, thanks for the reply if it was intended for me.

My questions are for the Pioneer Elite Pro-141FD, not the Elite name Pioneer has licensed to Sharp if I remember correctly. The serial compatibility for the Pioneer Elite Pro-141FD is for a strait through cable, female to female. I would like to see Roomie support IP control since Pioneer provides it on the Pro-141FD.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/Elite%20Monitor%20PRO-101_141FD%20Basic%20RS232C%20&%20IP%20Commands%20List.pdf
post #547 of 1472 Old 10-04-2012, 02:28 PM
LVS
Advanced Member

George, yes meant for you... Sorry about the model confusion and it doesn't appear Roomie supports Pioneer TVs natively. If you have the IP-based API from Pioneer, you could download their DDK and attempt this yourself. Best of luck with this.
post #548 of 1472 Old 10-04-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVS View Post

George, yes meant for you... Sorry about the model confusion and it doesn't appear Roomie supports Pioneer TVs natively. If you have the IP-based API from Pioneer, you could download their DDK and attempt this yourself. Best of luck with this.

For now I would be happy to get serial control working but I am not having any luck.

Thanks.
post #549 of 1472 Old 10-04-2012, 03:20 PM

Email roomie directly with the request. I have done this previously and they have always come through for me. There are options for you to add your own codes into your roomie setup. This info is available on the roomie website as well.
I would email roomie first though, as they add it for you straight away, if not, you then just have to find the codes and add them to the file and you will be all set (yes the process is a little more involved than that)
post #550 of 1472 Old 10-04-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucket23 View Post

Email roomie directly with the request. I have done this previously and they have always come through for me. There are options for you to add your own codes into your roomie setup. This info is available on the roomie website as well.
I would email roomie first though, as they add it for you straight away, if not, you then just have to find the codes and add them to the file and you will be all set (yes the process is a little more involved than that)

I have emailed Roomie and they have been reasonably responsive but no solution yet. My minimum expectation is they continue working with me to get the serial integration working. We are not there yet but I am satisfied with the support so far.

I made the investment after confirming all the devices I needed to control were listed as supported. The 141FD is listed specifically as having serial support. I also choose Roomie because I didn’t want to spend a lot of time setting everything up. So much for that goal.

It would be great if Roomie offered to add IP control to the Pioneer Elite Pro-141-FD but that would be over and above any reasonable expectation since they make no claim of IP support on the compatibility page. I have no desire to use a developer kit to create IP control myself.

I have two more rooms to configure after getting the first one working.

Thanks.
post #551 of 1472 Old 10-04-2012, 10:53 PM

I was not able to get the serial control working on the Pro-141FD but stopped trying because I was able to configure manual IP control and selecting Pioneer Elite Pro-150FD. All I really need it to do is turn on and off so I think I'm good. Wish I had known it would work with IP before I purchased the iTach.
post #552 of 1472 Old 10-06-2012, 03:08 PM

Shaw Arris Gateway-Portal PVR system in Western Canada

Any Roomie users with experience with the Shaw/Arris Gateway-Portal system? These are available in Western Canada but I am not sure if they are used elsewhere under a different branding.
Do any of the Roomie Arris or Moxie IR control sets work with this system?

Thanks

update

I went ahead and hade a gateway & portal installed and it works pretty well. The stock Arris and Moxie codes had a few issues and were not complete. Roomie tech support sent me 2 beta plist files with updated codes. The first fixed some issues and the second contained missing codes. It now works very well at reproducing all buttons on the Shaw provided ir-remote. They tell me that this beta codeset will be pushed out shortly to mainstream. Very pleased with exceptional support from Roomie..
post #553 of 1472 Old 10-07-2012, 12:32 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHolland View Post

I was not able to get the serial control working on the Pro-141FD but stopped trying because I was able to configure manual IP control and selecting Pioneer Elite Pro-150FD. All I really need it to do is turn on and off so I think I'm good. Wish I had known it would work with IP before I purchased the iTach.

I purchased the Roomie Apps yesterday. My system consists of a Pioneer PRO-141FD, Pioneer SC-37, Oppo BDP-93, Motorola DCX3400 & Apple TV (3rd Gen). My biggest concern was trying to avoid using the serial port adapter. I have everything networked & know that the PRO-141FD & SC-37 have IP control because I've used it via a browser, the Pioneer app for my receiver & I bought an app for the Kuro which controls it & shows hours etc. So I took the plunge & bought the basic app, it auto discovered my AVR & Apple TV. So I manually entered the Kuro IP address & used port 4201, then selected TV PRO-141FD & I was able to get it to work via IP! The inputs are a little off but I never switch the input on the monitor anyway. So far I am impressed, I ordered the IP2IR to control the rest of my system. I am going to order the new OPPO BDP-103 which should support IP control because they are offerings an Android & iOS app for it. This will allow me to avoid serial control in my HT, use IP control for my Monitor, AVR, BD player, & use IR for my ATV & DVR. Hope this helps any other Kuro owners out there, it should work with a PRO-101/141FD & the KRP-500/600M as well, you will just have to manually add it & select a PRO-141FD. I am thinking that the serial port connection will control the PRO-111/151FD & the PDP-5020/6020FD plasmas also. I have controled them via the serial port with ControlCal, so I don't see why it wouldn't work. I have a 5020 "E-Lite" in my Master Bedroom to try it out on, I will report back with my results. I would really like to see the additional of a sleep timer to shut down all components like my Harmony 900's do. I sleep with my TV on & my wife hates it, plus its a waste of electricity & hours on the Plasma's.
post #554 of 1472 Old 10-08-2012, 05:44 AM

I bought the basic app to try it out and like it so far. I have a couple questions related to IR, if I decide to go all in with Roomie. Can I string a blaster up into my drop ceiling and put the blaster above the listening area and will it reach all components? Or is there a better location? Or do I have to wire a little emitter on every device? Is there lag when operating an IR device? Has anyone used Roomie with a Tivo controlled via IR for example and can comment on lag?
Thanks,
Tom
post #555 of 1472 Old 10-08-2012, 08:29 AM

I use the blaster at distance two different ways without issue:
a) bounced backwards off white wall to actuate a tv lift and then power control the lifted tv. About 25 feet total distance
b) to control a receiver, ATv and STB hidden in a cabinet with a no-name brand remote ir system as well as power the wall mounted TV. There is about the same amount of lag time with this no-name ir system using roomie blaster from 12 feet as by using the universal logitech remote.
post #556 of 1472 Old 10-08-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgmobile View Post

I use the blaster at distance two different ways without issue:
a) bounced backwards off white wall to actuate a tv lift and then power control the lifted tv. About 25 feet total distance
b) to control a receiver, ATv and STB hidden in a cabinet with a no-name brand remote ir system as well as power the wall mounted TV. There is about the same amount of lag time with this no-name ir system using roomie blaster from 12 feet as by using the universal logitech remote.

Thanks I will give it a try.

Still wondering if anyone with a TiVo can comment on lag with IR? Any lag can make the TiVo experience abysmal...

Tom
post #557 of 1472 Old 10-08-2012, 08:18 PM
DGF

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tome View Post

Thanks I will give it a try.
Still wondering if anyone with a TiVo can comment on lag with IR? Any lag can make the TiVo experience abysmal...
Tom

I can't comment on how your Tivo box will behave, but Roomie's transmission of IR commands is pretty much instantaneous across all of my gear. I use a Global Cache GC-100 box to provide the IP-IR conversion and there is no difference between standing in front of the equipment using the original remote and using my iTouch at the other end house, 150' away. The one unknown, and admittedly the heart of your question, is how quickly the Tivo will respond to an IR command generated by Roomie - as there is no difference between IR codes generated by Rooimie or the Tivo-supplied remote, my educated guess is that you won't be able to tell the difference!
post #558 of 1472 Old 10-09-2012, 07:33 PM

Brand new to Roomie.

I put on an ipad. If I want to use with a second ipad, do i need to purchase the aps again? I'm pretty foggy on how to get it on other devices without having to repurchase the apps.

thanks for the help.
post #559 of 1472 Old 10-09-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Zeilinger View Post

Brand new to Roomie.
I put on an ipad. If I want to use with a second ipad, do i need to purchase the aps again? I'm pretty foggy on how to get it on other devices without having to repurchase the apps.
thanks for the help.

No, just "buy" again on the second (third, fourth, etc) device and it will say you already bought it and download it again.
Tom
post #560 of 1472 Old 10-10-2012, 07:37 AM
LVS
Advanced Member

For the original $10 application purchase just download to another device free, it will not charge you assuming the devices are synced to the same iTunes account.

For the InApp purchases once you go to the Roomie Store on the IOS device scroll all the way down to Restore Purchases and that will update the InApp licensing as well.
post #561 of 1472 Old 10-10-2012, 07:37 AM

So you're saying as long as the itunes account is the same, that will work right?

What about a different account? For example, my wife has her own itunes account and wants to use her phone in our TV room if the ipad is not around there. Is there a way to get it on her phone if she is using a different itunes acct.?
post #562 of 1472 Old 10-10-2012, 07:39 AM
LVS
Advanced Member

^ No, they would have to be sync'd to the same iTunes account.
post #563 of 1472 Old 10-10-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Zeilinger View Post

So you're saying as long as the itunes account is the same, that will work right?
What about a different account? For example, my wife has her own itunes account and wants to use her phone in our TV room if the ipad is not around there. Is there a way to get it on her phone if she is using a different itunes acct.?

I don't understand, if there is so much so much disposable income to afford multiple apple devices and multiple Apple iTune accounts in that family, what is the problem with buying the app multiple times?
The decision on how to handle multiple itunes/android/windows accounts should be made at the beginning of buying into an ecosystem, not a year later when you all want the same $40 app.
post #564 of 1472 Old 10-14-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF View Post

I can't comment on how your Tivo box will behave, but Roomie's transmission of IR commands is pretty much instantaneous across all of my gear. I use a Global Cache GC-100 box to provide the IP-IR conversion and there is no difference between standing in front of the equipment using the original remote and using my iTouch at the other end house, 150' away. The one unknown, and admittedly the heart of your question, is how quickly the Tivo will respond to an IR command generated by Roomie - as there is no difference between IR codes generated by Rooimie or the Tivo-supplied remote, my educated guess is that you won't be able to tell the difference!

I am considering replacing my Comcast Motorola DCX3400 DVR with a Tivo Premiere Elite XL4. I was wondering how the Tivo responds to IP commands via a wired ethernet connection with Roomie? My biggest concern is channel changing, the Motorola is inconsistent with the process no matter what I have tried (equipment & delay) via IR which is the only way to control it other than the Comcast App. I am hoping that controlling a Tivo via IP with the Roomie app will be an instant & exact channel change consistently like every IP device that I have worked with. I would appreciate If anyone can comment that has a Tivo Premiere that is using Roomie via IP on this feature. I also posted the same question in the Tivo Premiere forum & the Roomie forum.

Thanks in advance!
post #565 of 1472 Old 10-14-2012, 07:39 PM

In relation to the itunes account on different devices. I do this now. Go into your wifes iphone and change the itunes account setting to blank (or I think the option is ask for account details). Then go to the app store and purchase the roomie app but use your itunes details. The catch with this is that everytime roomie wants to update your wife will need to put your itunes account info in the iphone.
post #566 of 1472 Old 10-14-2012, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Just purchased Roomie and an iTach, and I'm loving this thing. So far, all my home theater and family room devices are supported, about half via IP control - coming from two slow and laborious-to-program Harmony 1100's, the Roomie removes a major, loathsome burden from the process of programming.

IP control
TiVo Premiere XL
Directv HR24
Integra 80.3
Denon 2312
Sharp 70 LCD ( forgot the exact model at the moment)

IR control
Sony vpl-VW 1000
Oppo 103
Apple TV
Mac Mini (iTunes)
Classe CP800
Octava 4x4 HDMI Matrix

A few remotes are a little generic, but nothing deal-breaking

The trickiest thing will be managing multiple rooms on multiple devices - while they offer iCloud sync, this is not practical as I can't share my log on to my wife and kids' iOS devices. With backups, they are not device specific, so as best as I can tell, you have to take are not to program on two different devices lest your configs diverge - best to program all rooms from a master device, backup to Dropbox, and then restore to the slave devices as needed. A little more robustness in multi-room, multi-iOS device backup or syncing would be nice...

But really very pleased with the overall solution...
post #567 of 1472 Old 10-15-2012, 06:32 AM
LVS
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano18 View Post

I am considering replacing my Comcast Motorola DCX3400 DVR with a Tivo Premiere Elite XL4. I was wondering how the Tivo responds to IP commands via a wired ethernet connection with Roomie? My biggest concern is channel changing, the Motorola is inconsistent with the process no matter what I have tried (equipment & delay) via IR which is the only way to control it other than the Comcast App. I am hoping that controlling a Tivo via IP with the Roomie app will be an instant & exact channel change consistently like every IP device that I have worked with. I would appreciate If anyone can comment that has a Tivo Premiere that is using Roomie via IP on this feature. I also posted the same question in the Tivo Premiere forum & the Roomie forum.
Thanks in advance!

I have tried Roomie via IP with my TIVO Premier. The only limitation on the TIVO is that only one device can be connected (sending IP commands) to it. However it doesn't sound like that limitation will be an issue for you. I found the channel changes to be very consistent and worked every time. Now with Uverse (Motorola VIP series) via IR, very inconsistent, especially when the VIP first starts up and I can't figure it out, because after a while channel changes work fine. It appears that it just doesn't have enough horsepower to respond to IR commands when it is doing something else.
post #568 of 1472 Old 10-15-2012, 12:01 PM

I have the exact same experience with uverse. It seems like the dvr is too slow, since it has the same problems with a standard remote. AT&T should remove the crippled ip control like directv.
post #569 of 1472 Old 10-15-2012, 12:52 PM
LVS
Advanced Member

^ It is so inconsistent. I have tried delaying 750ms between channel change digits with it set to repeat the commands 2 or 3 times and still have the same issue and this is with a dedicated IR emitter and not a blaster.
post #570 of 1472 Old 10-15-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Just purchased Roomie and an iTach, and I'm loving this thing. So far, all my home theater and family room devices are supported, about half via IP control - coming from two slow and laborious-to-program Harmony 1100's, the Roomie removes a major, loathsome burden from the process of programming.
IP control
TiVo Premiere XL
Directv HR24
Integra 80.3
Denon 2312
Sharp 70 LCD ( forgot the exact model at the moment)
IR control
Sony vpl-VW 1000
Oppo 103
Apple TV
Mac Mini (iTunes)
Classe CP800
Octava 4x4 HDMI Matrix
A few remotes are a little generic, but nothing deal-breaking
The trickiest thing will be managing multiple rooms on multiple devices - while they offer iCloud sync, this is not practical as I can't share my log on to my wife and kids' iOS devices. With backups, they are not device specific, so as best as I can tell, you have to take are not to program on two different devices lest your configs diverge - best to program all rooms from a master device, backup to Dropbox, and then restore to the slave devices as needed. A little more robustness in multi-room, multi-iOS device backup or syncing would be nice...
But really very pleased with the overall solution...

I have my Oppo 93 controlled via IR & was under the assumption that the 103 has IP support. I asked this question on Oppo's FB page & they said that 103 can be powered on & off if quick start is engaged. It may not be able to be auto-discovered as of yet, but if your 103 is networked I would assume you would be able to manually add the address. I was able to do this with my Pioneer Kuro PRO-141 to control it via IP rather than serial like the Roomie site lists. I am thinking of selling my 93 to replace it with a 103 & this is one of the main features I was looking to obtain. Would you be interested in trying this setup to confirm that it is possible with the 103 & report back?

Thank you in advance
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Yamaha Rx V2065 Receiver , Tivo , Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page