Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 1472 Old 11-14-2011, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew452 View Post

Send a email to Roomie support with your list of AV equipment and which units you will use for the remotes; ipad, iphone ie.....

I agree the more you use this one the better you like it!

I started with the Pronto remotes years ago but always wanted more real estate for the controls.

Got iRule almost a year ago got their basic template to somewhat working but found the learning cuve tedious at best. Nothing wrong with iRule just more time then I wanted to invest.

Looked at DemoPad seems a bit like iRule but builder app is on your machine, I like that better but again a learning curve.

But Roomie gets you up and running quickly and with graphics which are quite elegant. You get feedback controls on RS232 and IP controlled devices right out of the box.

It would seem that the future of Roomie looks real good for customization of layout and graphics.

Just somethings that I have found really neat!

Just my 2cents
Rew

Thank you for the response. I have sent them an email. Hopefully I can get in on the beta. I really like Roomie a lot. I did try iRule and found it to require way too much time for my needs. I would like something that just works. That's where Roomie comes in!

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1472 Old 11-14-2011, 10:10 AM

A question for those of you using the iTach TCP/IP to IR box. I've got a infrared distribution block setup with my current system. It has a single input from an IR reciever with emitter distribution to all my devices. Can I connect the emitter output on the iTach to the IR input on my distribution block so I don't have to re-connect all my devices? I may just try it but I'm curious if the output of the IR receiver and the IR emitter is compatible.

Thanks in advance.
post #33 of 1472 Old 11-14-2011, 10:15 AM

Looks like I may have just answered my own question, from the Global Cache site:

GC-CGX IR Converter Cable, GC-100 to Xantech

The GC-CGX is used to connect a Global Caché IR output (GC-100 or iTach) to a Xantech IR input. Global Caché IR outputs are converted to meet the IR input requirements for a Xantech IR distribution environment. IR signals from 30KHz to 72KHz can now be sent through an existing Xantech IR installation directly from one of our units. The GC-CGX is optically isolated to ensure circuit isolation and protection.

http://www.globalcache.com/products/other/

anyone using one of these converter cables?
post #34 of 1472 Old 11-15-2011, 02:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

anyone using one of these converter cables?

I use it and it works perfectly.

Bob
post #35 of 1472 Old 11-15-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post

I use it and it works perfectly.

Cool, thanks for the reply. I'll have to pick one up.
post #36 of 1472 Old 11-16-2011, 06:46 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the Xantech cable. I'm going to add my main media room to my Roomie and have it pre-wired with a Xantech distrubtion block. Here's the best part: Although Roomie doesn't formally list Marantz IP enabled receivers as supported in "IP mode", they are! All you have to do is provide the IP address and call it a Denon. So the Marantz in my main media room is already on the system and works well.
post #37 of 1472 Old 11-17-2011, 03:13 AM

I'm a recent convert to Roomie from iRule. Got to say - love it's simplicity, slick interface and terrific support. I'm controlling my Yamaha 3900 AVR and TIVo via IP and my Apple TV, Samsung TV and Marantz DVD player via IR (with Global Cache device).
post #38 of 1472 Old 11-17-2011, 07:26 AM

Hi all
I am thinking of converting from irule to roomie but wanted to check how difficult it is to set up devices that are not supported. I have some fairly esoteric hifi components that all work off infra- red and I guess I would need to program these one by one or use a learning feature if one exists for this remote.
Is this quite easy to do and what do I need to know before I can be certain that the roomie can control these units? I have already emailed roomie and they told me that I would need to know the codes at least.
Thanks
James
post #39 of 1472 Old 11-22-2011, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixlpush View Post

A question for those of you using the iTach TCP/IP to IR box. I've got a infrared distribution block setup with my current system. It has a single input from an IR reciever with emitter distribution to all my devices. Can I connect the emitter output on the iTach to the IR input on my distribution block so I don't have to re-connect all my devices? I may just try it but I'm curious if the output of the IR receiver and the IR emitter is compatible.

Thanks in advance.

Did you try this? I am curious as well.
post #40 of 1472 Old 11-22-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlechner View Post

Did you try this? I am curious as well.

I haven't tried it. I've currently got the IR blaster from the Global Cache ip2ir box pointed at IR receiver off the IR distribution block while I'm setting everything up and that works fine. it's not clear what the Global Cache converter cable does but it seems like more than a straight pass through. I'm a little hesitant to just plug it together for fear of frying something in one box or the other.
post #41 of 1472 Old 11-23-2011, 12:22 AM

I remember trying a year or so ago with a GC100 where I didn't use that cable, instead I used a direct mono cable. Fried the GC100, Xantech block undamaged. So there is some kind of subtle voltage difference I'd guess. It's a cheap and simple cable and hooked the GC100 up perfectly to a Xantech block. Wont make that mistake again. Since then I've switched to iTachs/Roomie anyway but iTachs still need those cables for the Xantech blocks (though I'm not going to try it without it to see whether stuff doesn't fry anymore).
post #42 of 1472 Old 11-23-2011, 04:27 AM

This app is really nice. The customization in the new version is fantastic ! Graphics and 2 way feedback are top notch. Highly recommended.
post #43 of 1472 Old 11-23-2011, 09:28 AM

Good to know. Glad I didn't try it. The only issue I have so far is that Roomie won't turn my Denon 3808 "ON" when it is powered off. I have just finished my basement and rack so I haven't spent a lot of time on it. Will shortly. So far, its fun to play with.
post #44 of 1472 Old 11-23-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlechner View Post

Good to know. Glad I didn't try it. The only issue I have so far is that Roomie won't turn my Denon 3808 "ON" when it is powered off. I have just finished my basement and rack so I haven't spent a lot of time on it. Will shortly. So far, its fun to play with.

I have the same receiver. You have to turn off power saving mode under the network settings on the Denon.

Tom
post #45 of 1472 Old 11-23-2011, 10:25 AM

Thank you sir! I will do that tonight!
post #46 of 1472 Old 11-25-2011, 01:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a question about turning certain activities OFF when I'm finished for the day.
Do I need to create a TURN OFF activity for each activity.
If I'm say watching a DVD with the TV on, DVD on, AMP on and I want to switch them all OFF do I need to create an activity just to do that.
The SYSTEM OFF that is in roomie doesn't seem to do anything unless you you add a command to switch stuff off.
I'm probably doing something wrong.
post #47 of 1472 Old 11-25-2011, 02:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Roomie is a Diamond with some rough edges that they are very actively working on.

For now System Off works for a complete shut down on those device which are On for all activities.

On and Off for an Activity is coming.

For now I just turn Off the main device used in the Activity before changing to another Activity.

For example: Watching a DVD and changing to Watch TV. I just tap the Off icon for the DVD before changing to the TV.

Hope this helps
Rew
post #48 of 1472 Old 11-25-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabra View Post

I have a question about turning certain activities OFF when I'm finished for the day.
Do I need to create a TURN OFF activity for each activity.
If I'm say watching a DVD with the TV on, DVD on, AMP on and I want to switch them all OFF do I need to create an activity just to do that.
The SYSTEM OFF that is in roomie doesn't seem to do anything unless you you add a command to switch stuff off.
I'm probably doing something wrong.

As the previous poster mentioned the "System Off" activity only automatically includes power off comands for components that are marked for "ON" for all activities. You can edit the system off activity and add other commands though.

Another thing you can do for powering off specific components that don't need to be on in another activity is add power offs for unneeded components in the new activity. for example for the activity "watch dvd" you power up the TV, Receiver, and DVD player, but at the end of that activity add a discrete power off for all you other gear. That way when ever you move from on activity to another you insure that you only have what is needed on. I've not set that up with Roomie but did that on a previous universal remote and it worked well.
post #49 of 1472 Old 11-25-2011, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixlpush View Post

As the previous poster mentioned the "System Off" activity only automatically includes power off comands for components that are marked for "ON" for all activities. You can edit the system off activity and add other commands though.

Another thing you can do for powering off specific components that don't need to be on in another activity is add power offs for unneeded components in the new activity. for example for the activity "watch dvd" you power up the TV, Receiver, and DVD player, but at the end of that activity add a discrete power off for all you other gear. That way when ever you move from on activity to another you insure that you only have what is needed on. I've not set that up with Roomie but did that on a previous universal remote and it worked well.

The problem is currently the commands only run on entering to a Activity, there is not anyway to issue a command when exiting a Activity.

I understand it's in the works and as TS goes, they are pretty quick in responding.

Rew
post #50 of 1472 Old 11-29-2011, 10:37 AM

1.2 update is out!!! Customizable buttons...
post #51 of 1472 Old 11-29-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks7 View Post

Hi all
I am thinking of converting from irule to roomie but wanted to check how difficult it is to set up devices that are not supported. I have some fairly esoteric hifi components that all work off infra- red and I guess I would need to program these one by one or use a learning feature if one exists for this remote.
Is this quite easy to do and what do I need to know before I can be certain that the roomie can control these units? I have already emailed roomie and they told me that I would need to know the codes at least.
Thanks
James

Hi, can anyone help me add learned ir commands to roomie. I have ilearn and saved the commands to desktop
But I'm lost how to proceed.
Thequietman
post #52 of 1472 Old 11-29-2011, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequietman View Post

Hi, can anyone help me add learned ir commands to roomie. I have ilearn and saved the commands to desktop
But I'm lost how to proceed.
Thequietman

If your devices are not in Roomie current device list, I would send them to support and ask their help. They can help you get the learned codes in correctly. it is doable just needs to be done right.

Rew
post #53 of 1472 Old 11-30-2011, 03:39 AM

Is there a way to customise buttons for the remotes only.
I could only customise the button through the activity.
Any help would be great.
post #54 of 1472 Old 12-01-2011, 11:37 AM

glad i found this thread, i was just about to purchase irule and now i'm not going to
post #55 of 1472 Old 12-01-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophetizer View Post

glad i found this thread, i was just about to purchase irule and now i'm not going to

Both are great offerings (I have both) but the ease of getting a Roomie remote up and running as well as the WAF factor made Roomie what I use at home.

I am glad to have both as iRule and Roomie continue to grow and expand I have additional options.
post #56 of 1472 Old 12-01-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khiser View Post

Both are great offerings (I have both) but the ease of getting a Roomie remote up and running as well as the WAF factor made Roomie what I use at home.

I am glad to have both as iRule and Roomie continue to grow and expand I have additional options.

Don't forget Demopad... I have all three and each has it's strengths, my fav at the moment though is Demopad because of the WAF that I have been able to create with it. If you are not into spending the time learning the technology then Roomie is the way to go. It is a great product that will only get better, but it can never deliver a true customized solution.
post #57 of 1472 Old 12-02-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khiser View Post

well, i'm not opposed to having both, but roomie is much cheaper, i would need to spend 100 on iRule or my needs. i think what i will do, is use Roomie, get it up and running fast so that my wife and kid can use it with their devices no problem. then in the future i can play with irule and see what happens.

let me ask a question though since you use both, i see that Roomie works well with activities, remembering what you have turned on and so forth, so if i hit power off it will turn off everything. does irule do this? i asked in the irule forum and emailed support, and all i get is it's as smart as you make it, which didn't answer my question. just wondering if the activities work like a logitech, it remembers everything thats been turned on, so i can hit power off, and it only powers off things that have been turned on since i sat down to watch tv or game or whatever.

thanks
post #58 of 1472 Old 12-02-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophetizer View Post

well, i'm not opposed to having both, but roomie is much cheaper, i would need to spend 100 on iRule or my needs. i think what i will do, is use Roomie, get it up and running fast so that my wife and kid can use it with their devices no problem. then in the future i can play with irule and see what happens.

let me ask a question though since you use both, i see that Roomie works well with activities, remembering what you have turned on and so forth, so if i hit power off it will turn off everything. does irule do this? i asked in the irule forum and emailed support, and all i get is it's as smart as you make it, which didn't answer my question. just wondering if the activities work like a logitech, it remembers everything thats been turned on, so i can hit power off, and it only powers off things that have been turned on since i sat down to watch tv or game or whatever.

thanks

No iRule will not do that, but then again neither will roomie at the moment. Both of them require you to add specific commands to switch devices off, other than roomie will switch of anything that is checked to be used in all activities.

The only one that can be programmed to remember what has been switched on, and can therefore only power off what is on is Demopad. This is with the current versions, roomie does intend to add that capability I believe.

However no matter what you use, if you are using multiple devices you will have issues trying to do this.
post #59 of 1472 Old 12-03-2011, 08:54 AM

Hi all; cannot decide which to get, the itach ethernet or wi-fi to ir adapter, any suggestions?

My setup is; emotive umc-1 preamp, adcom gfa-7500 amp, cox motorola cable box(ethernet connectable), oppo upconverting dvd, linksys wireless router.
Thanks for any help!
post #60 of 1472 Old 12-03-2011, 09:00 AM

i cannot get it to work with plex, it sees my plex media server, but not my plex client. any thoughts on this?
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Yamaha Rx V2065 Receiver , Tivo , Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page