Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1475 Old 12-03-2011, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by edzbox View Post

Hi all; cannot decide which to get, the itach ethernet or wi-fi to ir adapter, any suggestions?

My setup is; emotive umc-1 preamp, adcom gfa-7500 amp, cox motorola cable box(ethernet connectable), oppo upconverting dvd, linksys wireless router.
Thanks for any help!

I got the itach wifi to ir, and it works flawlessly. Very easy to setup, too.

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1475 Old 12-04-2011, 06:41 AM

Thanks for the reply. Where did you place the iTach box? I'm guessing that it needs to be within line of sight of entertainment center so the ir blasters can talk to components, but not real clear to me. How is your setup configured?
Thanks again for any help!
post #63 of 1475 Old 12-04-2011, 06:46 AM

Tom; disregard my last post; I just re-read the first few posts and got my questions answered. Think I'll get the wi-fi to ir today. Thanks for your help!
post #64 of 1475 Old 12-04-2011, 08:50 AM

Is anyone using a Sony Bravia TV? I have added the IR Libarary and the Theater package and when I add the all Sony TVs to devices it will not control my Song TV. It The remote picture it shows is for a Samsung TV. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks,
post #65 of 1475 Old 12-04-2011, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Anone with a Marantz receiver using Roomie? I have a Marantz SR7001 and the customer service rep said I need to use Denon, but I'm not sure which Denon to use (zone 1, 2, or 3). If anybody has had any experience with this, I'd greatly appreciate your help.

Headless Petie
post #66 of 1475 Old 12-04-2011, 03:38 PM

Liked: 11
Aaronball, use the virtual remote

jbn008 - use the main zone or zone 1
post #67 of 1475 Old 12-05-2011, 12:10 PM

thanks bucket23

I'm controling it with the gc-100-6 using a rs232 cable. You wouldn't happen to know the baud rate would you? I have never controlled anything with a serial cable before. I

Headless Petie
post #68 of 1475 Old 12-05-2011, 07:53 PM

Has anyone used Roomie to control a projector over serial?

I have an Epson 3010 and was just thinking serial would be superior for 2 reasons:
1) The 3D function uses IR for sync and is said to knock out IR
2) Using serial would give me feedback

Just wondering how hard it would be to get that working.

Thanks!
post #69 of 1475 Old 12-06-2011, 12:13 AM

jbn008 - I have the baud rate set up at 9600 with no flow control on the GC100 webpage
post #70 of 1475 Old 12-06-2011, 01:43 PM

bucket23, thanks again for the help

Headless Petie
post #71 of 1475 Old 12-06-2011, 08:16 PM

I just got the Roomie, and so glad I passed on the older style programmable remotes. I used an old iPod, ordered the "ir blaster" and it now controls my Denon amp, three Panasonic BluRay players, the Apple TV, and my HD Tivo. The "auto sensing" built in is so easy you probably will not even have to type in an IP address! Amazing company, and technology. If you decide to go this route, you will never go back to the hard to program older remote systems.
I would be happy with just volume, on/off, channel, up/down/left/right arrows, but the actual remote is photographically displayed and everyone of the factory buttons work on most brands of players and amps.
All my problems are solved in less than 1/2 hr of getting it in the mail.

GREAT PRODUCT!
post #72 of 1475 Old 12-07-2011, 02:40 PM

Anyone using this with a GC-100? I've been reading, reading for the past few days on this Roomie/GC-100, and compatability with my devices, and my mind is blown. Can't wait to start playing with this stuff.

Will Roomie make it's way over to Android? I'd be much more excited if I were spending $199 on a Kindle Fire (or an even cheaper Android Tab), than $400+ on an iPad.

But if the whole iCloud thing allows me to play whatever I want through my iPad to my Receiver, I might drop the $400. Can I do this with airplay, and no pc/mac on, or is it best to go ATV then to receiver?

If interested this is the environment I am planning on controlling with my tablet remote:

Living Room:

Panasonic 58V10
Pioneer VSX-21
Oppo BD-83
Motorola 7216 (Verizon Fios)
Xbox 360 (ir?, don't believe I can use RF from the iPad/Roomie?)
????Apple TV, purely for music????

Master Bedroom
Hitachi 42HDX-99 (Display)
Pioneer VSX-40
Motorola 7216
Apple TV (for music, and netflix).

Thinking about the GC-100 to implement the whole thing, but not sure how to implement the Panasonic TV (i tach wifi 2 ir?) and Hitachi (??? no room behind, can't run any more wires, currently controlled by a Microsmith Hotlink).

Hardware (is this all I need?):
iOS device (iPad)
GC-100
Xantech 284D
post #73 of 1475 Old 12-07-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentfox View Post

Has anyone used Roomie to control a projector over serial?

Guess no other readers have done this. Decided to go ahead and take a chance on the idea.

Ordered an iTach IP2SL-P, price is kinda HIGH but I can't find an alternative I like. Got the PoE version because I have a PoE switch and I like running widgets off it when I can to simplify cabling.

I'll report back later on it.
post #74 of 1475 Old 12-07-2011, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you are buying new, I'd encourage the iTachs over the GC100. The GC100 is much older and is next to impossible to update (send it back to the factory). The iTach is newer, receives updates a couple times a year, and supports multiple connections, which for iPad/iPhone usage seems critical. iTach comes with a blaster as well.
post #75 of 1475 Old 12-08-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:

Guess no other readers have done this. Decided to go ahead and take a chance on the idea.

Ordered an iTach IP2SL-P, price is kinda HIGH but I can't find an alternative I like. Got the PoE version because I have a PoE switch and I like running widgets off it when I can to simplify cabling.

I'll report back later on it.

I too am curious about controlling my 3010 projector via iTach and ROOMIE.
Looking forward to reading your results.

With only short evening invested in ROOMIE, I really really like it.
post #76 of 1475 Old 12-08-2011, 11:20 AM

Is there a way with ROOMIE to have the physical volume control on my iPhone send main volume control to my receiver via the ROOMIE software?

And how about once the iPhone goes into standby... Could the iPhone volume control still send the volume data to my receiver?

I'll be using my old iPhone 3GS as a dedicated remote in my room and this "dedicated fader" feature might be appreciated by many in my household.

Feature request?

-Riz
post #77 of 1475 Old 12-09-2011, 07:00 AM

I bought this app last night. pretty cool. I only have one ip controlled device at this time(time for some upgrades) but it does control the directv receiver very well. My global cache device is still in transit but I couldn't wait to buy the app and try it out.

One question. I was trying out different remotes for DirecTv and the original remote does not fit in whole on the ipad screen. Is there any way to resize the original remote so the whole thing fits on the screen?
post #78 of 1475 Old 12-09-2011, 09:39 AM

No way to do this but you can use the virtual remote. It works just as well and you can add remove buttons.
post #79 of 1475 Old 12-09-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizman! View Post

I too am curious about controlling my 3010 projector via iTach and ROOMIE.
Looking forward to reading your results.

With only short evening invested in ROOMIE, I really really like it.

Actually got an email from Roomie developers.

They have a first pass at config for Epson 3010 they sent me. I was planning to do the development myself, I'm a software guy, but it was nice of them to give me something to work with.

My iTach IP2SL-P doesn't arrive until next week though so I cannot test it until then. I'm really only interested in ON/OFF and VOLUME controls at this point. I do use the internal speakers on the projector sometimes when I'm just spooling up a kids video for my 3-year old who could care less about stereo.
post #80 of 1475 Old 12-09-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayworth View Post

If you are buying new, I'd encourage the iTachs over the GC100. The GC100 is much older and is next to impossible to update (send it back to the factory). The iTach is newer, receives updates a couple times a year, and supports multiple connections, which for iPad/iPhone usage seems critical. iTach comes with a blaster as well.

Official answer from GC:

Hi Justin,

The main differences that will effect you while setting up your system are 1) the iTach contains an IR learner, while the GC-100 requires use of a peripheral IR learner (GC-IRL) and, 2) the iTach can sustain multiple TCP connections at a time while the GC-100 can only support 1. This means that you will only be able to have 1 control device connected to the GC-100s on the network, while you can have up to 8 control devices (iPads) connected and controlling the system at a time. Other than what you already know, these are the only significant differences to the product lines. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

~Josh Sherman
Global Caché Support

Looks like the main reason I will go for the iTach is multiple TCP connections, I have no need for IR learning (at least I don't think I do). Now it's time to hunt down some iTach's for reasonable price!
post #81 of 1475 Old 12-09-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBusiness View Post

Official answer from GC:

Hi Justin,

The main differences that will effect you while setting up your system are 1) the iTach contains an IR learner, while the GC-100 requires use of a peripheral IR learner (GC-IRL) and, 2) the iTach can sustain multiple TCP connections at a time while the GC-100 can only support 1. This means that you will only be able to have 1 control device connected to the GC-100s on the network, while you can have up to 8 control devices (iPads) connected and controlling the system at a time. Other than what you already know, these are the only significant differences to the product lines. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

~Josh Sherman
Global Caché Support

Looks like the main reason I will go for the iTach is multiple TCP connections, I have no need for IR learning (at least I don't think I do). Now it's time to hunt down some iTach's for reasonable price!

I would just order from Roomieremote.com. They seem to have the best price I could find.
post #82 of 1475 Old 12-09-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasandkrs View Post

I would just order from Roomieremote.com. They seem to have the best price I could find.

Unless you want the PoE versions, which they don't sell.

By the way, my IP2SL-P just arrived, and it came with a short USB cable which couples to the power cable. I'll assume the cheaper "non-P" version comes with this too. Thus you could have your serial widget powered from the projector and save a power cord and wall-wart space.
post #83 of 1475 Old 12-10-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:

Unless you want the PoE versions, which they don't sell.

By the way, my IP2SL-P just arrived, and it came with a short USB cable which couples to the power cable. I'll assume the cheaper "non-P" version comes with this too. Thus you could have your serial widget powered from the projector and save a power cord and wall-wart space.

My switch doesn't support POE, bummed, but I've got plenty of room in my closet for more power cables, would have just liked it to be a bit neater.

Couple questions:

1) Do I need to buy the full App for all iOS devices I'd like to be able to control the system?

2) Is there a problem running two of the same Receivers over IP (VSX-1021?), in two separate rooms (I imagine I can set each one to it's specific room, but curious if anyone has tried)

3) Any luck using the serial connection for Panasonic plasma? I'd like the two way feedback, and not need to have an IR emitter on my tv.

4) Can an emitter run over RCA cables? I've got some extra runs of RG-6 inbetween my AV closet and TV. I'd like to connect an IR emitter at the end at the TV (Room 2, Hitachi plasma), and the iTach in the closet where the other end of RG6 is. Can this be done?

5) How is everyone using iCloud/AirPlay/iTunes with their iOS and Roomie? Are you going around the app and using your iOS with iCloud, going through Apple TV, etc.

First few steps are done for me:
  1. Ordered VSX-1021
  2. Found a friend with an old iPhone (before I commit to an iPad purchase)
  3. Bid on iTach IP2IR (ordered a second one too)
  4. Loading music in to iTunes format
  5. Ordered dual emitters

Still need to figure out the light switches/dimmers I'm going for. Thinking about Insteon, but would appreciate a less expensive solution (I have a 3-way circuit, and a 2-way circuit).
post #84 of 1475 Old 12-10-2011, 10:14 PM

Success!

Got my IP2SL-P hooked up tonight, connected to Epson 3010 projector.

The prototype config offered by Roomie successfully let me turn it off & on, blank the display, and also switch "luminance" from high to low(eco) mode. The other buttons didn't work properly. I spent a few minutes poking at the file and added VOLUME & MUTE controls myself easily enough.

So this ideas is certainly workable.

I note that my idea of dangling an IP2SL off the projector and powering it from the 3010's USB port is unworkable. The USB port is unpowered when the projector is off, so the IP2SL being off makes it impossible to power it on. But you could easily do this:

Get a cheaper IP2SL, locate it down with your AV stuff where it's easy to power it, and run a long serial connection up to the PJ. I would recommend to use Cat5 cable, since it's good to have that run anyhow. Then use RJ45 to DB9 female adapters at each end.

That's actually what I'm doing right now. You only need hook up 3 pins of modem cable:
2->3
3->2
5->5
post #85 of 1475 Old 12-11-2011, 12:06 AM

That's great.
Thanks for the update!
post #86 of 1475 Old 12-11-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBusiness View Post

My switch doesn't support POE, bummed, but I've got plenty of room in my closet for more power cables, would have just liked it to be a bit neater.

Couple questions:

1) Do I need to buy the full App for all iOS devices I'd like to be able to control the system?

Can't answer all your questions, don't even understand some of them!

However, I purchased the app once. All my iDevices share one iTunes account so they all get it.

As to PoE, the Linksys/Cisco SD208P switch is cheap-ish ($49 refurb @ TigerDirect!) and supports 4 of it's ports for PoE. For a while before I got a PoE switch I was just hacking up an ethernet cable and injecting 12V into the excess pairs and pulling them off at the other end to power the device. Cheap "passive" PoE is OK for short runs.
post #87 of 1475 Old 12-12-2011, 05:05 AM

I bought the basic Roomie app to just try it out and see if it will fit my needs. I added Plex and an Onkyo 709 Receiver to an activity and set the virtual remote to show the controller for Plex. I see that the remote shows some functions for the receiver such as the volume and the mode and input. I'm trying to add some more receiver buttons. Is this possible since I am on the "Plex Remote"? I see I can add Plex commands but there doesn't seem to be a way to access the receiver commands too.

I was also wondering if you are viewing an activity and set to the Plex remote as default, is there a way to jump to th receiver remote without creating another activity? Like a device list for the current activity or something like that?
post #88 of 1475 Old 12-12-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger View Post

I bought the basic Roomie app to just try it out and see if it will fit my needs. I added Plex and an Onkyo 709 Receiver to an activity and set the virtual remote to show the controller for Plex. I see that the remote shows some functions for the receiver such as the volume and the mode and input. I'm trying to add some more receiver buttons. Is this possible since I am on the "Plex Remote"? I see I can add Plex commands but there doesn't seem to be a way to access the receiver commands too.

I was also wondering if you are viewing an activity and set to the Plex remote as default, is there a way to jump to th receiver remote without creating another activity? Like a device list for the current activity or something like that?

In the create/edit activity check show Remote in activity for the Onkyo and any other remote you want available. They will be listed on the left side (iPad) , then you can bring up the whole remote at any time, kind of slick...
post #89 of 1475 Old 12-12-2011, 08:50 AM

I purchased Roomie and set it up this weekend. Works great except that I cannot get My Xbox 360 to respond at all. I have not used any other IR remote on the Xbox so I have no point of reference as to whether or not the IR sensor is working. Any ideas?
post #90 of 1475 Old 12-12-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorsplace View Post

In the create/edit activity check show Remote in activity for the Onkyo and any other remote you want available. They will be listed on the left side (iPad) , then you can bring up the whole remote at any time, kind of slick...

Thanks!! It was staring me in the face but I didn't notice it before. Works great.

Also had a quick question about an iTach IP2IR. I'm going to buy one for this program and also Demopad. Is the IR Blaster included omnidirectional? It will be in the line of sight of my cabinet but the components could be higher on the shelf or lower or maybe more to the left or right. I guess what I'm asking is does it have to be pointed directly at the components affected or can it be at an angle?
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Yamaha Rx V2065 Receiver , Tivo , Pioneer Vsx 1021 K 7 1 Home Theater Receiver , Denon Avr 1912 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V2065 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page